Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Gorilla Salad posted:

They could at least have gone for something a bit more tasteful. 'On the court and out of the closet' maybe?

Things to know about journalists: The sports guys are never the brightest when it comes to these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Philadelphia's city council passed a first-of-its-kind GLBT equality bill on April 25, which would not only give a tax-credit incentive to businesses that offered employee health plans that would include same-sex partners and children, but it would also include a substantial amount of landmark benefits for the transgender community as well. The bill will now head to the mayor's office for signature.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gorilla Salad posted:

They could at least have gone for something a bit more tasteful. 'On the court and out of the closet' maybe?

That's...not more tasteful? I mean that's a really dumb headline, the article is about the gay athlete as a concept, don't give it some dumb title. It's hardly distasteful it's just an example of 'oh, haha it kinda looks funny at first glance'.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rhode Island's House Judiciary Committee just advanced the gay marriage bill, making Thursday's full House vote the last stop before Rhode Island is the 10th state to legalize marriage equality.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Local media in Ohio is poo poo (are trans issues off-topic?):

quote:

Oddly dressed body found in Olmsted Township pond identified

Carl Acoff was identified this morning through DNA obtained from relatives, police said.

The body was found April 17.

Acoff had been stabbed, tied with a piece of rope attached to a block of concrete and dumped into a pond on MacKenzie Road north of Cook Road.

The body was clad in a red Betty Boop tank top, three black bras on top of one another, and a light black hooded jacket. The body was naked from the waist down, police said at the time. The rope was tied from the back and also attached to a steel pipe.

Acoff had identified himself as a woman to to RTA officials, according to records.

Police said after they contacted area law enforcement for help identifying the body, Cleveland detectives told them they had a missing person matching its description.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

staticman posted:

That is a pretty loving weird thing to be found dead in, regardless of gender.

Edit: The "its" pronoun is rather crass, though.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 1, 2013

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I think referring to a body as "it" is pretty standard.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

staticman posted:

It was oddly reassuring when the vast majority of comments I saw under the article were rightfully taking the author of that shitshow of an article to task.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Governor Chafee @LincolnChafee posted:

All are welcome to attend Thursday's planned #MarriageEquality signing ceremony. 5:45 PM, South Steps of the State House @RIUnited #RI4m

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Ho Chi Mint posted:

I think referring to a body as "it" is pretty standard.

Yeah, it's just the way they worded that sentence associated "it" with person instead of body. Bad writing and editing, and more sensitivity to the issues may have helped catch it before publishing.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Harik posted:

Yeah, it's just the way they worded that sentence associated "it" with person instead of body.

No it doesn't :confused:

But yes, it really could have been written better.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Minnesotans United has a new ad. It is very :911:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9_emVsryYE

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Ballz posted:

That is a pretty loving weird thing to be found dead in, regardless of gender.

Edit: The "its" pronoun is rather crass, though.

The article posted:

Acoff had identified himself as a woman to to RTA officials, according to records.

Police said after they contacted area law enforcement for help identifying the body, Cleveland detectives told them they had a missing person matching its description.

The family was contacted and a match with DNA came back from the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office today, police said.

Yeah, "its" is kinda crappy. It may or may not have been intentional, but they could have reworded the sentence to "Cleveland detectives told them they had a missing person matching the body's description." Clearer, and no possibility of insult.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 1, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

fade5 posted:

Yeah, "its" is kinda crappy. It may or may not have been intentional, but they could have reworded the sentence to "Cleveland detectives told them they had a missing person matching the body's description." Clearer, and no possibility of insult.

Interesting to note that the URL refers to an 'oddly_dressed_man' while the headline describes an 'oddly dressed body'. I assume that was changed fairly early on.

The outfit isn't that odd, presumably the multiple bras were meant to provide a bust. It's a pretty cold way to describe a rather horrific murder though. :smith:

Edit: Another article about the murder on the same site carries a notice that it was edited to bring it in line with AP guidelines regarding transgender people.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 1, 2013

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Day one of civil unions in Colorado. My Facebook feed had been great today, in a sincerely good way!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Loving Life Partner posted:

Day one of civil unions in Colorado. My Facebook feed had been great today, in a sincerely good way!

Meanwhile NPR in Michigan ran a story about gay rights in the state featuring a representative trotting out the "making discrimination against gays illegal discriminates against Christians" argument.

I'm getting really sick and tired of hearing that argument. I wish I were in position to actively discriminate against Christians - oh wait that's covered by Michigan's civil rights law.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

staticman posted:

Things that aren't about marriage equality are not on-topic.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I go to Episcopal Church (and they don't mind my atheism) and the pastor, who is very active with MN United, says the Marriage Bill in the senate is within 2-3 votes of passage. It could end up being a situation similar to that of the senate tax bill, which failed by 2 votes initially and had to be revoted after the DFL bosses put the screws to the dissenters.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Delaware Senate hearing is going on now.

quote:

HB75 contains a special provision that allows a Clerk of the Peace to defer action to a deputy if they disagree with a marriage.
This isn't a deal breaker but they really shouldn't let state employees discriminate.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

This isn't a deal breaker but they really shouldn't let state employees discriminate.

Sorry, husband has red hair. Can't let that continue.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

rypakal posted:

Sorry, husband has red hair. Can't let that continue.

Don't worry, Delaware almost certainly prohibits discrimination based on ethnic background so he's legally protected.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Even though we (Netherlands) legalized gay marriage twelve years ago, we are still having this discussion. City officials can still refuse to perform a marriage between people of the same sex if they feel it's icky, as long as they have at least one non-homophobic colleague who is willing to do their job for them.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 1, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Audio stream of the thrilling Senate testimony! Quicktime required.

My favorite argument is that marriage has something like supremacy and the government does not have the power to regulate it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The bill passed and is off to the full Senate.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

richardfun posted:

Even though we (Netherlands) legalized gay marriage twelve years ago, we are still having this discussion. City officials can still refuse to perform a marriage between people of the same sex if they feel it's icky, as long as they have at least one non-homophobic colleague who is willing to do their job for them.

Hell, we have some douche in Walla Walla who wants to bring back segregation, for gays. Only without the clause that it's only ok if someone else there can help them.

quote:

A staffer in state senator Mike Hewitt's office reportedly told Seattleite Jay Castro that "gay people can just grow their own food" if a bill Hewitt (R-Walla Walla) is cosponsoring passes. The bill would allow businesses to refuse service to some customers (read: gay people!) if their refusal is due to "sincerely held religious beliefs," and Castro was inquiring what rural gays should do if the only grocery store for miles won't sell them food. After a few follow-up calls from The Stranger, the first couple of which ended in the staffer—who refused to identify himself—hanging up on us, he offered "apologies for a poorly handled call," said that "half" of Castro's account was accurate (but wouldn't say which half), and said that "patience was lost, mistakes were made, and that's it." Hewitt has yet to return calls for comment.
http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/sources-say/Content?oid=16639687

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020894067_gaycommentxml.html

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

effectual posted:

Hell, we have some douche in Walla Walla who wants to bring back segregation, for gays. Only without the clause that it's only ok if someone else there can help them.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/sources-say/Content?oid=16639687

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020894067_gaycommentxml.html

Jesus Christ :stare:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
This is reminding me of those pharmacists who want to deny people birth control pills because of their religious beliefs.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Is "not wanting another person's religion shoved down my throat" a deeply held belief?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is "not wanting another person's religion shoved down my throat" a deeply held belief?

No that's anti-Christian bigotry.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Religion is like a penis.
Lots of people have one, but not everybody.
If you have one, and are proud of it, that's great.
Just don't go whipping it out in public and waving it around.
Don't even THINK about shoving it down someone else's throat.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The formalities are done. Rhode Island is the 10th state to legalize marriage equality in the United States. The governor plans to sign the bill immediately, and the law takes effect August 1. To make it all extra perfect, House speaker Gordon Fox will be presiding and carrying out the wedding as RI Rep. Frank Ferri will re-marry his husband Tony that day. (For anybody who's wondering, the final vote tally was 56-15. The first vote tally? 51-19.)

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 2, 2013

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Sweeney Tom posted:

(For anybody who's wondering, the final vote tally was 56-15. The first vote tally? 51-19.)

I had forgotten the first vote tally. That's awesome that they actually managed to get *more* votes the second time around.

I do wonder, though, if these state-by-state victories will ultimately lead SCOTUS to decide marriage is a state issue and let it continue to happen incrementally. Though it seems if they're going to strike down DOMA, that would make the issue more complicated (you get federal benefits in the state you're married in, but if you move to another state that has no marriage recognition for same-sex couples, you lose everything).

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

katium posted:

I had forgotten the first vote tally. That's awesome that they actually managed to get *more* votes the second time around.

I do wonder, though, if these state-by-state victories will ultimately lead SCOTUS to decide marriage is a state issue and let it continue to happen incrementally. Though it seems if they're going to strike down DOMA, that would make the issue more complicated (you get federal benefits in the state you're married in, but if you move to another state that has no marriage recognition for same-sex couples, you lose everything).
I can't imagine that the status of state recognition of a marriage you had in an entirely separate state would have any impact on federal benefits. If the federal government wants to know if you are married, they aren't going to look up your address and call your state government, they'll just want the marriage license.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

katium posted:

Continued state level progress does not hurt the case. Someone might use that excuse, but that's bullshit because if there were 35 marriage states SCOTUS would have no problem striking the remaining bans in June.

Every victory this year only helps the cause because it shows consistent momentum and public support. We're not going to hit 34 states like Loving or 37 states like Lawrence any time soon. 13 states with 9 legislative and electoral victories in 7 months is the strongest way to convince SCOTUS that they aren't moving too fast by overruling laws in 74% of the country.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Governor Chafee just signed it. 16 years ago, marriage equality legislation was first introduced to Rhode Island. Today, it's finally been legalized.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sweeney Tom posted:

Governor Chafee just signed it. 16 years ago, marriage equality legislation was first introduced to Rhode Island. Today, it's finally been legalized.

Now we got the whole new england set. It's gonna look so nice on the shelf :allears:

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
I had the pleasure of listening to Bishop Gene Robinson speak in Des Moines last night. He's a very charming and charismatic man. You may remember him as the first openly gay and partnered man to be a consecrated bishop in a major denomination. During his remarks he said "We inside the beltway, where I'm living half-time now, we pay attention to what's going on in Iowa." Iowa has been a leader in the Midwest for marriage equality, but also a leader in crazy drama surrounding marriage equality.

The Supreme Court of Iowa hasn't been cowed into submission by attempts to have its members thrown out at the polls or their pay cut through the legislature.

Today Justice Wiggins, Who the GOP failed to kick off the bench issued a ruling for the Iowa Supreme Court continuing to uphold the rights of same-gender couples in Iowa.

Iowa Supreme Court Rules On Same-Sex Parents Birth Certificates

It blows my mind that after the Supreme Court's ruling that same-gender couples must be accorded equal protection under the Iowa Constitution people are still trying to find ways to avoid honoring it. The pain of not having your name on your own child's birth certificate is something I can't even imagine. Fortunately there are amazing legislators, judges, lawyers and lobbyists working hard every day to secure and expand LGBT rights in the state.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Delaware's full Senate votes on their marriage equality bill Tuesday. 9 Senators are on the record being for the bill, 7 are against, and 5 are undecided.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Althair posted:

Today Justice Wiggins, Who the GOP failed to kick off the bench issued a ruling for the Iowa Supreme Court continuing to uphold the rights of same-gender couples in Iowa.

Iowa Supreme Court Rules On Same-Sex Parents Birth Certificates

It blows my mind that after the Supreme Court's ruling that same-gender couples must be accorded equal protection under the Iowa Constitution people are still trying to find ways to avoid honoring it. The pain of not having your name on your own child's birth certificate is something I can't even imagine. Fortunately there are amazing legislators, judges, lawyers and lobbyists working hard every day to secure and expand LGBT rights in the state.

While I think it's great he's stayed constant, what I like is that decision was 6-0. Which means all of the judges that got sacked in a hissy fit over gay equality...were replaced by judges who are upholding those rulings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
The openly gay mayor of Siglosheim, France had been mailed bullets this very week in yet another death threat against Marriage Equality.

quote:

Speitel, who is gay himself, said he was “shocked” by the incident and described the act as “odious”. The threat comes after Speitel gave a recent interview to the local newspaper Derniers Nouvelles d’Alsace in which he talked about the probability he would marry his partner and the prospect of them adopting children. He also slammed the homophobic incidents that have taken place in France over recent months, that have been blamed on the poisonous atmosphere created by some of the more extreme opponents of gay marriage. Along with the bullets, Speitel, a practicing Catholic, was sent a copy of his newspaper interview, which contained scrawled handwritten homophobic insults.

This is the latest in the French right's vicious campaigns against pro-gay politicians. The head of the French Assembly was mailed gun powder last month, and two socialist legislators were sent letters containing threats to murder them and their families (Oooh you'll LOVE my, (ah-ah-ah) Christian Love!). According to the article, a poll came out today showing that 67% of the French public want the savagery to stop because "France is ready to move on." :unsmith:

• Locked thread