Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Up and under gets me one or two easy buckets every time I am forced to play a 1 on 1 game.

The turnaround jumper is fool's gold. Don't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

The one true heezy posted:

Guys I need more post moves. I'm drop stepping into baby hooks/jump hooks, and pivoting out into pretty high % leaner/jumpers, but after so many games of 1 on 1 my roommate is catching onto my game.

Help me expand my repertoire

Remember that there is no such thing as 3 seconds in pickup and you can back down indefinitely like Charles Barkley.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Guys I need more post moves. I'm drop stepping into baby hooks/jump hooks, and pivoting out into pretty high % leaner/jumpers, but after so many games of 1 on 1 my roommate is catching onto my game.

Help me expand my repertoire

Elbow in the grill

HoF move right there

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Asian guy once posted me up, slyly slid his head under my chin and then jumped straight up. Try that one out.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

BIZORT posted:

:colbert: No

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
pump fake

kobe/dirk fade away

shawn marion/tony parker floater

smell your rear end like jason kidd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCHzhQJw6Zc

MVP fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 2, 2013

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Turnaround jumpers are fine but you need to be close to the rim to do them. It's a good counter move to something else, like a hook across the lane.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Guarding with your lower body means putting your feet under they feet.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

BIZORT posted:

Yeah just about everyone that shoots one isn't anywhere drat near as good at it as they think they are.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

It's a shot you can take literally whenever you want as long as you have the ball. The only effective way to use it is to use the glass, too, but no one does that. If the guy I'm guarding is shooting fadeaways then I've done my job. You'll never meet a guy in a gym that can hit them with any sort of consistency.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yet people still take them all the time. What was that White Man Can't Jump quote? "You'd rather look good and lose than look bad and win."

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I once saw a video montage of Kevin Mchale post moves, required viewing for anyone with aspirations of playing in the post.

E: the Dream shake is nice but if a lot of NBA players can't do it, pickup players aren't gonna be able to. Go towards the basket for layups

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 2, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

My money shot is the 15 foot bank shot. It is my shame

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Jota posted:

Yeah just about everyone that shoots one isn't anywhere drat near as good at it as they think they are.

Everyone forgets that you want to be over your 'spot' when you're falling back, not when you start jumping. The easiest way to get anyone to miss their jump shot is to get them to take it a bit off from where they usually do, jump hooks too.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Declan MacManus posted:

My money shot is the 15 foot bank shot. It is my shame

Pssssh I think that shot is pretty. If you cant hit the shot better then half the time "popping" on screens i want you on my team.

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 2, 2013

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
i can hit a 15 foot sharp bank, but not as a jumper.

Up and under sounds like a good project. I hate to pump fake too much because it tends to end up with broken fingers, but I definitely want to incorporate the steps.

So drop step, pivot inside, fake the hook, then pivot under?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pretty much. As soon as he bites on the pump fake, swing the ball from right to left, and go up for the easy layup.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

I hate to pump fake too much because it tends to end up with broken fingers

I have never ever broken a finger because of a pump fake or seen it happen to someone else. Also I burn people with the up and under all the time. It's great when I end up with a big guy on me because half the time they jump to try and block every shot like they are Serge Ibaka and you make them look like absolute idiots.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
The pump fake is the first move you should pick up if you're just starting. Use it in the post, use it on the three point line, use it everywhere, always. I can't count how many times I've made a better player look foolish because he was so amped to get a monster block. If you can sell it at all it's good for an easy layup or an easy dish if the defense rotates.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Kevin McHale considered the up and under pretty much his main move. If you get that down congrats you have more of a post game than most pickup players.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

cp91886 posted:

The pump fake is the first move you should pick up if you're just starting. Use it in the post, use it on the three point line, use it everywhere, always. I can't count how many times I've made a better player look foolish because he was so amped to get a monster block. If you can sell it at all it's good for an easy layup or an easy dish if the defense rotates.

I will say there is a difference between a pump fake and a shot fake and you don't want to be pump faking at the 3 point line because you'll look like an idiot and there is a good chance the defense won't bite on it. I only really use a pump fake around the basket.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

chunkles posted:

Kevin McHale considered the up and under pretty much his main move. If you get that down congrats you have more of a post game than most pickup players.

If you actually dribble with your back to the basket congrats you have more of a post game than most pickup players

I've only got a spin move to the basline, a drop-step, and and up-and-under. I'm usually not playing in the low post but that's enough to frustrate most players. Oh, and facing up, but if you're doing a face-up move in a pickup game you've probably hosed up

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I hosed up and told some guys I had never played with before that I was left handed way early in a game today.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Declan MacManus posted:

If you actually dribble with your back to the basket congrats you have more of a post game than most pickup players

I've only got a spin move to the basline, a drop-step, and and up-and-under. I'm usually not playing in the low post but that's enough to frustrate most players. Oh, and facing up, but if you're doing a face-up move in a pickup game you've probably hosed up

Thats a pretty good repertoire for amateur players. Most guys cant do half of that stuff. I prefer to drive then post up. A good euro-step is what its all about

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 2, 2013

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dog Jones posted:

I hosed up and told some guys I had never played with before that I was left handed way early in a game today.

Yeah, my secret leftiness is pretty much the only way I can score in pickup games until they figure out I can only go left and then I'm done.

Actually, I'm usually done when teams literally look at me for two seconds and see how appallingly unathletic I am and then I spend the rest of the game futilely running up and down the court never touching the ball and probably guarding the other lovely guy who never touches the ball on their team.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Cut hard to the hole and set screens. Eventually your gonna be so open when you roll or cut that your teammates would be idiots to not pass to you. Also you'll open space for other people to score. IF your team wins you get to keep playing so it doesn't matter if what you isn't related to scoring. I am a big believer in that idea.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yeah, my secret leftiness is pretty much the only way I can score in pickup games until they figure out I can only go left and then I'm done.

Actually, I'm usually done when teams literally look at me for two seconds and see how appallingly unathletic I am and then I spend the rest of the game futilely running up and down the court never touching the ball and probably guarding the other lovely guy who never touches the ball on their team.

It's over for me after like, 5 minutes of play. After that I can only do quick spurts of energy now and then, depending upon how much the guy I'm guarding is running around.

Also, I hate how every time I play it's a bunch of dudes who all know each other and then me. It's tougher to know when to switch, and when you have help on defense. And on offense, cos you don't recognize anyone, you always hesitate for a second when you're looking to pass. It would be one thing if no one knew each other, but I always end up going when its a bunch of dudes who like play on a team together or some poo poo at the court.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I think I finally lost my "athleticism", like, seems like my speed and vertical is around the same, but now I take 3 seconds to actually move, like Nazr Mohammed. I was going to retire from pickup and go to the gym until I can dunk again, but I went the other day to do some squats and couldn't move for days, I think I'm just going to "bulk up" and play in the post for the rest of my days.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I'm best offensively in the post, but I rarely get a chance to use it in games bigger than 3-on-3 at my gym, if that. If it's more than that it seems like nobody has any idea how to space the floor and the floor is so crowded you're basically double-teamed with the ball anywhere inside the line, or every ball-handler just wants to slash wildly to the basket and there's nothing to do but set picks and try to clear the lane.

The worst is when everybody on the team is working in synergy, working to good shots, moving the ball, but there's one guy who doesn't get it and has to dribble around for five seconds before he can shoot. So he ends up wide open over and over, gets the pass with plenty of time to shoot, but blows it and ends up smothered because he's got to get in his mandatory between the legs dribble and series of head fakes before launching a contested shot

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

cisneros posted:

I think I finally lost my "athleticism", like, seems like my speed and vertical is around the same, but now I take 3 seconds to actually move, like Nazr Mohammed. I was going to retire from pickup and go to the gym until I can dunk again, but I went the other day to do some squats and couldn't move for days, I think I'm just going to "bulk up" and play in the post for the rest of my days.

Ugh, it's gonna be a sad day when this happens to me. I'm 5'7 and reliant on speed to play D and score, once that's gone no more bball for me (I can't hit 3s either).

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
-edit-
Wrong thread.

pylb fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 3, 2013

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

IanTheM posted:

Ugh, it's gonna be a sad day when this happens to me. I'm 5'7 and reliant on speed to play D and score, once that's gone no more bball for me (I can't hit 3s either).

To utilize your speed, I'm assuming you have decent handles, and that won't go away with age, so you'll be fine. Worse comes to worse, just keep playing with the same group and they'll get older too so you'll still be relatively fast!

And since the guy did specifically ask for post moves to use in a 1-on-1 situation, here's my advice: don't use post moves in a pickup 1-on-1 game! Post moves are for at minimum 3-on-3. Nobody wants to see you backing your man down from the 3pt line to the low post to use your baby hooks and up and unders. Use sweet dribbling moves to blow past him and throw down sick dunks (or layups if you're lame).

Man, I've gotta start playing basketball again soon...

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dogs Bower posted:

Cut hard to the hole and set screens. Eventually your gonna be so open when you roll or cut that your teammates would be idiots to not pass to you. Also you'll open space for other people to score. IF your team wins you get to keep playing so it doesn't matter if what you isn't related to scoring. I am a big believer in that idea.

I do those things, but I usually play with a bunch of knucklehead college students who are much younger than me and would rather play kobeball than actually pass to an open person who the other team has literally stopped guarding.

e: In their defense, it takes me half a game to figure out who is on my team and I often fall prey to the unsporting "here pass it to me" subterfuge which is really embarrassing.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Dogs Bower posted:

A good euro-step is what its all about

This. A decent euro-step destroys most pick-up players.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

vulturesrow posted:

This. A decent euro-step destroys most pick-up players.

Yeah because you end up arguing what's a travel or not

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

MVP posted:

Yeah because you end up arguing what's a travel or not

Too loving funny bro! Being serious though in a good game people call their own fouls.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

cp91886 posted:

Opposite this, as a defender, Do Not Try To Block Your Man's Shots. You want to contest shots. Stay on your feet until your man leaves his. Get your hands up, stay in front of him and don't let him make any progress towards the basket. Going for blocks is fools gold even more than taking turnaround fadeaways. If you think you're Serge Ibaka, you're going to get burned constantly and that one sweet block that you swat into the parking lot will not make up for it. Your goal is for your opponent to take a contested, low percentage shot.

Note: This does not apply to help defense or when you know someone just has no idea what a fake is.

R.D. Mangles posted:

e: In their defense, it takes me half a game to figure out who is on my team and I often fall prey to the unsporting "here pass it to me" subterfuge which is really embarrassing.

I hate this poo poo so much.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Icy Penguigo posted:

Opposite this, as a defender, Do Not Try To Block Your Man's Shots. You want to contest shots. Stay on your feet until your man leaves his. Get your hands up, stay in front of him and don't let him make any progress towards the basket. Going for blocks is fools gold even more than taking turnaround fadeaways. If you think you're Serge Ibaka, you're going to get burned constantly and that one sweet block that you swat into the parking lot will not make up for it. Your goal is for your opponent to take a contested, low percentage shot.

Note: This does not apply to help defense or when you know someone just has no idea what a fake is.

I hate this poo poo so much.

So, basically everyone you'll play against in pickup basketball - that means you should be going strong in the air for every blocked shot you can get your hands on. :colbert:

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
So in my last three games I've been elbowed hard in the cheek, throat and now front teeth. How many of you guys play with a mouthguard?

Also, Bizort and CrazyLikeAMadDog's advice helped me a tonne on offence and my team mates are really starting to use my screens properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

spamman posted:

So in my last three games I've been elbowed hard in the cheek, throat and now front teeth. How many of you guys play with a mouthguard?

Getting elbowed in pick up games is a skill of mine. Case in point:

• Locked thread