Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

spamman posted:

So in my last three games I've been elbowed hard in the cheek, throat and now front teeth. How many of you guys play with a mouthguard?

Also, Bizort and CrazyLikeAMadDog's advice helped me a tonne on offence and my team mates are really starting to use my screens properly.

Glad it's helping :) I get popped once in every pickup game or maybe every other game. Most every time the other guy realizes it right away and apologizes. It's usually not a big deal so try not to let it become one. I've only bled from one elbow and I didn't mind it but then I got elbowed again in the exact same spot by the same kid so on the next play I basically bodyslammed him and it didn't happen again.

The eurostep is a pretty incredible tool. I have never even attempted to use it but a teammate of mine is about 6'5 and very wiry and it's his main weapon. He'll stand outside and launch 27 footers that are actually pretty accurate but when it's not falling, he goes to that hoop every loving time with the eurostep and he'll either get a layup or a foul 80% of the time. I call it the get out of jail free move because it saves us in every game.

cisneros posted:

I think I finally lost my "athleticism", like, seems like my speed and vertical is around the same, but now I take 3 seconds to actually move, like Nazr Mohammed. I was going to retire from pickup and go to the gym until I can dunk again, but I went the other day to do some squats and couldn't move for days, I think I'm just going to "bulk up" and play in the post for the rest of my days.

Welcome to getting old. I've reinvented my game about 3 times now and I think it's going to happen again soon. I've gone from shooter to athletic slasher to midrange shooter to post player and now back to midrange shooter. I can do a bit of everything as a result, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

RCarr posted:

Getting elbowed in pick up games is a skill of mine. Case in point:

Dude forget the blood whats with that awful stash?! We were all thinking it

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I probably hadn't shaved that day :( Trust me I don't go around rocking something like that on purpose.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Part of it was just the close up... and I'll admit im a little jealous as a grown rear end man who cant grow facial hair.

Back on topic though, I can't shoot 3's with any consistently what is the best way to improve? besides just practice which i do. I don't need to be Ray Allen Steph Curry, it's just frustrating to be so disrespected that pump fakes no longer work, which hurts my ability to attack the hoop. Any small tips would help

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

spamman posted:

So in my last three games I've been elbowed hard in the cheek, throat and now front teeth. How many of you guys play with a mouthguard?

Also, Bizort and CrazyLikeAMadDog's advice helped me a tonne on offence and my team mates are really starting to use my screens properly.

I used to play with a mouth guard in high school but I find that it really hampers my ability to trash talk and communicate effectively. I just find them kind of awkward and I've got a dental plan right now so I just roll the dice

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I've basically become a post player on offense anyway, my problem is with defense, because I don't play any and just try to do a Birdman impersonation out there, but if you don't jump quick, you can't do that thing where you can jump right back up after a pump fake, and you just end up looking like well, Birdman. And I haven't solved this logic puzzle: When I play post, I can score more or less consistently, but as the end closes on, defenders start denying the ball and stuff like that(or just plain fouling) and I stop getting the ball(also, most perimeter pickup guys think that it's their time to shine, and start the chucking), so I start going outside the paint, but then we lose rebounding and the game gets out of hand. Of course I can just stay down, but not jumping quick means I have lots of trouble finishing after catching rebounds in traffic, and lack of strenght means I can't hold onto it.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Dogs Bower posted:

Part of it was just the close up... and I'll admit im a little jealous as a grown rear end man who cant grow facial hair.

Back on topic though, I can't shoot 3's with any consistently what is the best way to improve? besides just practice which i do. I don't need to be Ray Allen Steph Curry, it's just frustrating to be so disrespected that pump fakes no longer work, which hurts my ability to attack the hoop. Any small tips would help

Does your shooting form deviate much? When I practice I start out focusing on my form for a bit so I get that muscle memory working.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

If anyone wants to learn the up and under post move or just a good shot/ball fake, watch Andre Miller. The guy is 6'2 and is an amazing post player just because of his pump fake. He's also very old and plays like a rec league player anyway

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Boosh! posted:

Does your shooting form deviate much? When I practice I start out focusing on my form for a bit so I get that muscle memory working.

Ya it does i'll try to work on that next time i go to shoot around.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

Dogs Bower posted:

Ya it does i'll try to work on that next time i go to shoot around.

There's this video that I always liked as inspiration. I actually always start facing the basket ~5 feet out just to get a feel for the hoop and reset my form (I have some thigh and hip issues that make it hard to square up so this really helps me). Then move out to the FT line/that arc. Finally, only if I'm feeling good with those shots will I even try 3 pointers.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Dogs Bower posted:

I shoot in my backyard for an hour or two every day when I get off work/school. If I don't shoot every day, then I forget how to shoot and I have to rediscover my form.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
if I'm leaping on the up and under, after my drop step and pivot, and my back leg doesn't leave the ground at the same time as my front, is it a travel?

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I'm 6 ft 3 but my rec league team has quite a few plus 6 footers so I play point guard, which actually works out well since I've always had good handles and a solid 3 point shot. Seconding the eurostep opinions, its awesome to do and looks cool - I use it heaps and at my height it's a guaranteed layup or foul pretty much. I find it particularly useful when driving along the baseline, take your first step toward the middle of the key then your second back to the baseline, wins every time.

For practicing 3-balls I found it useful to start mid range and work back a foot at a time, don't move further back until you have swished a few consecutively. Also find your 'spot', I prefer shooting from the wings rather than the corner

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

The one true heezy posted:

if I'm leaping on the up and under, after my drop step and pivot, and my back leg doesn't leave the ground at the same time as my front, is it a travel?

I'm having a little trouble visualizing what you are doing, but it sounds like it would be a travel, isn't that essentially another step?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

If you hop at all and then come down, neither of your feet can leave the ground after you come down or it's a travel. The hop essentially is your 2 steps you're allowed so anything more than that is traveling

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

My friend and I were shooting around today and he brought a POV camera. It just looks like a pair of really big goggles and they're shaded a bit. I took a video with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKJZ66WbeM

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Suuuure, blame it on :airquote: depth perception

Really cool video though

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How do you just have an empty full court gym to play in i hate you

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

How do you just have an empty full court gym to play in i hate you

Live in Australia

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

BIZORT posted:

My friend and I were shooting around today and he brought a POV camera. It just looks like a pair of really big goggles and they're shaded a bit. I took a video with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKJZ66WbeM

Ooh, look at Mr. Fancy Pants with his expensive Official NBL indoor ball!

And yeah, there are some quiet courts in Melbourne (and presumably other places in Australia) if you know where to look.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Only the best when you rely on shooter's roll :)
But seriously it's hard to find a good ball around here. My friend's TF-1000 is perfect but it's not sold here anymore.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I just noticed out that the church down the street has an outdoor hoop. It'll be nice to bike down there and shoot around a bit this summer.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
I have my own court. :smug:

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Regnevelc posted:

I just noticed out that the church down the street has an outdoor hoop. It'll be nice to bike down there and shoot around a bit this summer.

Reminding me of my childhood. Summer.Bikes. Basketball

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The one true heezy posted:

I have my own court. :smug:

I'm gonna come challenge you to a 1 on 1 game for the rights to the court. If I win I'm just gonna set up a tent and live there until you beat me.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

RCarr posted:

I'm gonna come challenge you to a 1 on 1 game for the rights to the court. If I win I'm just gonna set up a tent and live there until you beat me.

Wait, some people didn't have their own paved court in the backyard where they grew up? Weird...

Edit:\/\/\/ When I started to get tired I did the opposite; I went to the rim less and started throwing up more lazy jump shots. Bruises and jammed fingers tho, they are indeed the best feeling after playing.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 6, 2013

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Played pick up basketball for the first time in over a year. The first hour was alright, I was surprised that my jump-shot was still functional. After two hours my legs died, and all of my jumpers were short, so I went to the rim more often, which means I was getting hacked all the time. Today I woke up with several bruises, and a swollen finger on my shooting hand. I haven't felt this good in a while.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
My wrists and hands will hurt for days after playing for the first time after a long drought. I haven't played for so long I'm even missing that feeling...

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
We used to play 'jam ball' on 9/9.5 ft rims back in highschool. I always loved the bruises up and down my forearms the day after.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i didnt know what a basketball was until 3rd grade and never had a hoop growing up. i hooped on the streets. #whitepeopleproblems

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
So I just dunked on some kids and I feel great.

Context:
I just came back from a party thrown by some of my parents' friends, and while the "adults" (at 26 I'm an adult too, but the next youngest adult was probably around his 40s) socialized, I played basketball with the kids. Against a 13 year old (their son) and a 15 year old boy. I'm 6'4", the rim was level with the top of my head and we were playing with a ball the size of a kid's soccer ball.
The 15yo could do basically nothing but slash to the rim and relied on the 13yo who was actually pretty good, decent handles with both hands and a solid jumper. He was also a poor sport, who called basket interference when I grabbed an airball, called a carry when I did a "Jordan" shot-fake, didn't pass the ball to his teammate unless I had him trapped, thought jump balls were fouls on me, wanted to set a rule where I couldn't shoot from inside of 10 feet, etc...
I'm a really poor dribbler and since I was playing against kids I was just settling for Brook Lopez-like one handed set shots. But at some point I snapped, and when I got the ball I just started backing him down in three dribbles, turning and dunking on him every time. He started talking about taking a charge next time so I euro stepped my way to a dunk. I actually bent the frame of the rim a little so he outlawed dunks. We stopped shortly after.
But that's my story of feeling like Shaq for a few minutes, overpowering midgets and dunking on them.

I was playing in dress shoes and a three piece suit though and now my feet are killing me.

fake edit:
Moments later, a shy little girl (I'd guess she was 10) who had been watching us came to get some jumpshots up. She told me she played basketball. I just rebounded the ball for her because I could block her shot just extending my arm out and she couldn't drive past me because of my wingspan. But she probably shot around 85-90%, from plenty different areas too. Just catch and shoot, catch and shoot, with the occasional drive for a layup. After 50 or so attempts her jumper started getting flat, I told her so, she corrected it and it just kept going in. I was kind of jealous.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

pylb posted:

So I just dunked on some kids and I feel great.

Context:
I just came back from a party thrown by some of my parents' friends, and while the "adults" (at 26 I'm an adult too, but the next youngest adult was probably around his 40s) socialized, I played basketball with the kids. Against a 13 year old (their son) and a 15 year old boy. I'm 6'4", the rim was level with the top of my head and we were playing with a ball the size of a kid's soccer ball.
The 15yo could do basically nothing but slash to the rim and relied on the 13yo who was actually pretty good, decent handles with both hands and a solid jumper. He was also a poor sport, who called basket interference when I grabbed an airball, called a carry when I did a "Jordan" shot-fake, didn't pass the ball to his teammate unless I had him trapped, thought jump balls were fouls on me, wanted to set a rule where I couldn't shoot from inside of 10 feet, etc...
I'm a really poor dribbler and since I was playing against kids I was just settling for Brook Lopez-like one handed set shots. But at some point I snapped, and when I got the ball I just started backing him down in three dribbles, turning and dunking on him every time. He started talking about taking a charge next time so I euro stepped my way to a dunk. I actually bent the frame of the rim a little so he outlawed dunks. We stopped shortly after.
But that's my story of feeling like Shaq for a few minutes, overpowering midgets and dunking on them.

I was playing in dress shoes and a three piece suit though and now my feet are killing me.

fake edit:
Moments later, a shy little girl (I'd guess she was 10) who had been watching us came to get some jumpshots up. She told me she played basketball. I just rebounded the ball for her because I could block her shot just extending my arm out and she couldn't drive past me because of my wingspan. But she probably shot around 85-90%, from plenty different areas too. Just catch and shoot, catch and shoot, with the occasional drive for a layup. After 50 or so attempts her jumper started getting flat, I told her so, she corrected it and it just kept going in. I was kind of jealous.

The detailed explanation of why a fully grown adult was able to dominate a couple of 13yr old kids was mesmerizing. Your heroic decision not to challenge a 10yr girl to one on one really put it over the top as well. Great story (seriously, I laughed).

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

On a rim that he could touch, no less. Then he was jealous of her by the end.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Awesome story dude. I feel like I need to try this at some point just to see what the fuss is about.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I'm on the market for a new shoe since my old one ends up burning pretty fast after a few trips up and down the court, which I guess is a ventilation issue. I primarily play in the backcourt and love to play pesky defense or press full court.

Based on research, I narrowed down my choices to the Hyperchaos or Hyperfuse 2012 which are both around $121 and the Under Armour Micro G Torch at $158 (that's the price in my country). Which of the three is better and are there better options? Obviously I can't really get a proper feel out of these things by just wearing them and walking around the store so I'd like to get input from you guys.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

don't buy anything underarmour

this dude at http://kicksoncourt.com/ has reviewed almost every basketball shoe known to man

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

mynameisjohn posted:

don't buy anything underarmour

this dude at http://kicksoncourt.com/ has reviewed almost every basketball shoe known to man

I've always thought that dude has pretty good regards to Underarmour shoes? What's wrong with them?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Disharmony posted:

I'm on the market for a new shoe since my old one ends up burning pretty fast after a few trips up and down the court, which I guess is a ventilation issue. I primarily play in the backcourt and love to play pesky defense or press full court.

Based on research, I narrowed down my choices to the Hyperchaos or Hyperfuse 2012 which are both around $121 and the Under Armour Micro G Torch at $158 (that's the price in my country). Which of the three is better and are there better options? Obviously I can't really get a proper feel out of these things by just wearing them and walking around the store so I'd like to get input from you guys.

I've never had any good experiences with Under Armour basketball shoes. They're not horrible, just really mediocre for the prices which usually can get you a higher end Nike.

Personally I play in KDV's (recently upgraded from a pair of KDIV's) and it's the best basketball shoe I've ever put on my feet. Sticky, great balance, great ankle support, and the fit/weight is out of this world. The first couple wears are a little iffy during the break-in period, but after that it sort of molds to your foot. They're like wearing treaded-socks now, it's great.

Outside of the KD's, I've played in some Wades (the last ones from Jordan) and they were pretty good for the price I got them at. Kind of heavy, though. Most Jordans tend to feel a little heavy (to me, anyway) though, even the ones designed for quick guards.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Disharmony posted:

Hyperfuses are poo poo. As far as I'm concerned they aren't even real basketball shoes. Hyperdisruptors are dope, as are the KD V's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

danucleus posted:

I've always thought that dude has pretty good regards to Underarmour shoes? What's wrong with them?

The Charge BB was bad, terrible traction and gimmicky as hell. The Torch is apparently great though, and cheap.

• Locked thread