Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Hahaha what the hell.

I want to believe that it was either a dream sequence, or his crazy father injected him with the titan ability to regenerate. It seemed kind of odd to mention it unless it was going to be relevant, and the only person losing limbs was Eren.

Whatever happens, I am all in, even though waiting another week is going to suuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Will cliffhangers be a thing from now on?

The series does not stop getting better, so yes.

Also, going to second the recommendation to not break down and read the manga. The manga is good, mind you, but the art is definitely rough, and the presentation of the anime is so well done that you'd really be missing out.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I guess this explains why the ED is so Mikasa centric.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
So Eren is gone for real then? gg no re? That's certainly unexpected.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
We only saw dismemberment of an arm and a leg so it's possible he's still alive by TV logic. But judging by people's comments, the manga likes destroying shounen tropes so there's a good possiblity he is actually dead.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cicero posted:

So Eren is gone for real then? gg no re? That's certainly unexpected.

It certainly is. Attack on Titan loves loving with expectations. The past page or so of this thread has just been magical.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not completely sure about this but I think he's not dead yet, after thinking about it for a little. The key he's been given by his father's still around his neck, correct? The reasoning isn't really based on evidence in the story itself, but I'd imagine that eventually they'll return to Eren's house to get into the cellar, it being an established plot point and all that, so if he dies, then unless they recover the key that plot point becomes moot. It might happen that he actually dies and the key never matters, but that doesn't really make for good storytelling, and considering that everyone that's read the manga is singing the story's praises I doubt they'd do something like that. Or I could completely be off the mark, he's a decoy and Armin is actually our protagonist. Even if he's alive though he's still immensely hosed up so I'm anxious for next episode to see the result.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 5, 2013

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So here's a question for the manga people, that I would like answered with a mind to not spoiling anything. Of course, if the answer to the question is super spoily, just say so and I won't push the issue but: if you get swallowed whole, how do you die? Crushed to death in the esophagus? Are titans airtight on the inside? Stomach acid?

Because I've played a lot of videogames, and lemme tell ya, sometimes being swallowed whole is just the trick for how to kill some kinda giant fuckoff hugeguy :c00lbutt:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
EDIT: Never mind. Any spoiler would be too much of a spoiler.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Also is worth commenting how logical Eren was when fighting the Colossal Titan.

The Titan broke the gate, and then swept the artillery. "Yea, this poo poo is sentient" :colbert:

No info-dump to explain the Colossal behavior, no asspulling, just plain logic. He saw, and assumed the most likely option.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

OnimaruXLR posted:

So here's a question for the manga people, that I would like answered with a mind to not spoiling anything. Of course, if the answer to the question is super spoily, just say so and I won't push the issue but: if you get swallowed whole, how do you die? Crushed to death in the esophagus? Are titans airtight on the inside? Stomach acid?

Because I've played a lot of videogames, and lemme tell ya, sometimes being swallowed whole is just the trick for how to kill some kinda giant fuckoff hugeguy :c00lbutt:

I dunno about in relation to the manga, but killing things that you eat live is the primary function of stomach acid as I understand it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm going off memory and my memory's poo poo so I'm probably somewhat wrong, but the gist of it is that Titans have stomach acid, weak but still lethal with prolonged exposure. People who haven't been fatally wounded can still be conscious inside a titan, but they can't really escape so they eventually succumb.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah you gotta remember that their tiny blades have to be swung full force just to get a decent cut, the titans would regenerate too fast to hack your way out even if the blades weren't breaking.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I couldn't resist drawing this after seeing a certain titan in this episode.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm not completely sure about this but I think he's not dead yet, after thinking about it for a little. The key he's been given by his father's still around his neck, correct? The reasoning isn't really based on evidence in the story itself, but I'd imagine that eventually they'll return to Eren's house to get into the cellar, it being an established plot point and all that, so if he dies, then unless they recover the key that plot point becomes moot. It might happen that he actually dies and the key never matters, but that doesn't really make for good storytelling, and considering that everyone that's read the manga is singing the story's praises I doubt they'd do something like that. Or I could completely be off the mark, he's a decoy and Armin is actually our protagonist. Even if he's alive though he's still immensely hosed up so I'm anxious for next episode to see the result.

Even if you were obsessive about not breaking the door down, it can't be that hard to pick it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Gotta say, was really expecting Mikasa to die way before Eren.

Edit: I think I realized why I love this anime so much. It's basically X-Com but in anime form instead of a video game. Humanity faces a incomprehensible, all-powerful force that threatens to destroy all of human life, and the only thing stopping them from accomplishing that is an outfit of soldiers with access to powerful technology. Cities are demolished, citizens are eaten alive, and even the soldiers die quickly for making the slightest misstep.

What I'm saying is I want an Attack on Titan mod for X-Com.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 5, 2013

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

It certainly is. Attack on Titan loves loving with expectations. The past page or so of this thread has just been magical.
Killing of the main character who is also the only character with a half-developed backstory (his family/dad/medical experiments) would be incredibly unexpected. It's also something I would greatly approve of, because if it turns out Eren is some kind of experiment, he would just be one big cliché of a main character.

The worst thing that could happen would be that silentstrongcharacter kills the titan and pulls a wounded Eren out of the corpse. She might be able to become a proper character if Eren dies though, with all this serving as her backstory as the real main character. As an incredibly skilled, but indifferent soldier she could be the antithesis to Eren.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wow I really did not expect that from the latest episode. I'm pretty much locked in now and started to read the manga as well. This show is loving awesome.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Attack on Titan does everything right:
- the action is perfect
- it conserves it's resources to use them at the right time
- the mix of tragedy and comedy and their timing is just perfect; everything being grimdark all the time doesn't work as good as this
- the atmosphere is perfect; the sense of horror you feel is great
- and it fucks with genre conventions

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Yeah, I'm loving this and I am glad that the way they used things like fast cut aways and reaction shots, (ep 5 spoiler) holy crap Armin's freak out was perfectly done, rather than censor shadows has continued.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 5, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Anime_Otaku posted:

future episode spoilers

Whoops. My mistake thinking all the spoiled text was only for the most recent ep and not for future eps as well.

Anyway, this show is p drat good. I don't remember the last time an anime had me liking it this much. I'm gonna see how long I can go without a manga binge.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I read an Attack on Titan fan wiki today. I thought it would have spoiler warnings. That was a mistake.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Don't do this, please.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
So, I guess I'll be the non-manga reader to point out that Eren has lost a leg at 19:14 and probably has both at 21:10. It's kind of hard to tell, though, since there's no clear shot of that leg. They seriously go out of their way to avoid animating it, actually, including failing to show Eren leaping from the roof to the mouth of the Titan. Anime being anime, I'd be surprised if we've seen the last of Eren. It'd be kind of impressive if he was dead, though.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Don't do this, please.

I clearly stated in the unspoilered part I was referring to future episodes.

Edit: sorry, realised my error.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 5, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I read an Attack on Titan fan wiki today. I thought it would have spoiler warnings. That was a mistake.

Don't ever think this. Fan wikis are the worst for being subtle about things. I'm sure if you were to go to a random FF7 fanwiki's Aeris page it'll be all "Aeris Gainsborough is a character in this game WHO DIES". They're terrible.

It's one of those Game of Thrones-type situations where there's tons of things to spoil. This is why I'm glad a bunch of people are going to read the manga after the latest episode, because it's best to discover on your own rather than have some random schmoe ruin it either by accident or on purpose. I certainly still enjoy the anime just as much after reading the manga, since seeing it in motion is a LOT different than seeing it off-proportionedly drawn in black and white.

Though I still think the manga artist draws wayyyyyyy creepier Titans.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Holy poo poo, just, holy poo poo!

Echoing pretty much everyone's sentiments. This show still does not yet disappoint.

This week is going to go so slow waiting for the next episode!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I guess this the time to reveal Eren's magical shonen protagonist powers? As far as cliffhangers go that was a cheap shot. Still an amazing episode though, and I will eat my hat if Eren is actually dead and Mikasa is the MC.

I don't think I can go a whole season being teased after each episode by the fact that a manga exists. Good grief.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
http://www.cosp.jp/view_photo.aspx?id=6515001&m=73295
Something to help you all relax.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Don't ever think this. Fan wikis are the worst for being subtle about things. I'm sure if you were to go to a random FF7 fanwiki's Aeris page it'll be all "Aeris Gainsborough is a character in this game WHO DIES". They're terrible.

It's one of those Game of Thrones-type situations where there's tons of things to spoil. This is why I'm glad a bunch of people are going to read the manga after the latest episode, because it's best to discover on your own rather than have some random schmoe ruin it either by accident or on purpose. I certainly still enjoy the anime just as much after reading the manga, since seeing it in motion is a LOT different than seeing it off-proportionedly drawn in black and white.

Though I still think the manga artist draws wayyyyyyy creepier Titans.

You need to be careful no matter where you go on the internet. SA has a good group of fans who are avoiding spoilers for people who haven't read the manga, but most places aren't like that. Just this morning I saw an argument on another board because someone summarized the series but used spoilers for upcoming episodes to do so, and tons of places were spoiling the twist for episode 5 long before it happened.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

TK-31 posted:

I guess this the time to reveal Eren's magical shonen protagonist powers? As far as cliffhangers go that was a cheap shot. Still an amazing episode though, and I will eat my hat if Eren is actually dead and Mikasa is the MC.

I don't think I can go a whole season being teased after each episode by the fact that a manga exists. Good grief.

I think that dream of his father giving him shots couple of episodes ago has something to do with what'll happen next. My guess is he gets regeneration like giants, and maybe gets super-sized too

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Does anyone know when episode 5 will be streamed on CR? Is it because it is golden week? I'm confused.

edit: nm. read in the notes to episode 4 it will be delayed until Tuesday. Plop.

Housh fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 5, 2013

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
To anyone who is considering reading the manga due to impatience with the anime releases, my advice is to hold back and bear with it. The quality of the anime is really superb, and I think that so long as they keep that up, and don't deviate from the canon, it will pay off greatly.

If anything, read the first couple chapters of the manga, and get familiar with the art style. If you don't like that art style (many people don't) then stick with the anime.

I'm saying this as someone who read the manga, and I'm really jealous of the people who are seeing the anime first. Don't spoil it!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't even know what to say. I'm at a loss of words because what the gently caress? Seriously what the gently caress???

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Also, going to second the recommendation to not break down and read the manga. The manga is good, mind you, but the art is definitely rough, and the presentation of the anime is so well done that you'd really be missing out.

I'll try as long as I can, but by the end of the month, I'll be back home for the summer and the house is on a bandwidth cap that'll keep me from streaming or downloading video, so it's either 2-3 months until I come back on campus to catch up on the anime or just read the manga.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Also, this is a very important junction in the story, where anime pacing may well lead to a better experience than manga pacing. Also, as mentioned a lot in the thread, a lot of the content in the anime is only in flashbacks much later in the series, and vice versa. The chronology of the manga is precarious enough that even just trying to 'keep pace' with the anime will be difficult.

At the very least leave it a few episodes until things have calmed down a little before you start reading.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah, the reason I am holding back from reading along is how everyone keeps saying that the adaptation is an improvement. Plus the manga is not even finished, so getting to the end would still suck anyway.

And yes, I figure Eren is going to wolverine his way out of this too. I don't like the idea of Eren being a superspecial unique snowflake but that's what it looks like for now.

I can't even look at this thread without thinking of how much waiting another week is going to suck.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

That is what it looks like, but so far the show has done a drat good job of not doing the expected so I'm not so sure.

I'm also really tempted to read the manga because waiting a whole week is going to be hell. And it's most likely going to be like that every week for another 20 weeks.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 5, 2013

Sonictic
Sep 11, 2003

marquise bossyfangs mcsekret

Giggily posted:

I'm really disappointed that Armin didn't try to high five Eren's dismembered arm as it flew past him.

He tried. He was just a foot off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Still an eternal fan of (Ep 5 Spoilers)the guy who gets turned into loving paste by a Titan bitch slap:

Look at the shrapnel from his 3d maneuver gear going everywhere. :magical:

• Locked thread