Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I remember this game! ...Never got past the first level. That is, I never even got to that first sub-boss. I must have been really terrible, but then again the different enemy types do synergize well together. Probably what I remember most was the Game Over screen though. It was really detailed and pretty eery. Kind of weird to put Mr. Freeze's head there when he hasn't shown up yet.
This techno soundtrack feels a bit odd but it works pretty well.

I might be misremembering this, but was there a video game based on Batman Returns? I remember that being incredibly tough as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There were a few Batman Returns games. A neat one for the SNES, and then one for Sega CD that I remember not being nearly as good.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

I loved this game as a kid. My friends and I played this so much that we could basically do a no hit run of act 1 and a no death run until about 2/3rds of the way through act 3. Somehow we could never get past the boss of act 3 without cheating. There are nice little hidden goodies. The one I remember the best is on the screen that started at ~20sec if you take out the second set of 5 clowns before they land you get an extra life.

Good luck

Edit: I forgot to mention that. Yes the falling rocks are random-ish. Imagine a bell curve over you character's head and that is roughly the distribution of where the rocks will fall.

Major_JF fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 11, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FreezingInferno posted:

This is really weird. I just beat Adventures Of Batman And Robin on the SNES yesterday. Hard game coincidences are a hell of a thing. That game was great (and it'd be a fit for the thread!) but I've not seen much of this Genesis one. It's quite different from the SNES one; I'm getting a real Gunstar Heroes vibe, what with the perspective and the waves of enemies and the melee attacks.

It looks like a neat game, but tough.

Yeah, the SNES one is actually probably a better Batman game, in that it does some of what the Arkham games do, trying to include some of Batman's detective skills as part of the gameplay, with puzzles to solve and such, but it's more of a platformer outside of that, than this one.

Edit: Also, I'd say Harley's redesign was more 'how can we make her hotter (in a marketable way)' than more serious. So they went Suicide Girl.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 12, 2013

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
What was the SNES Batman game where you could choose gadgets and if I remember right, they had Street Fighter-esque button combos to use?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That sounds like the Batman Forever game I played on Genesis.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

DeathChicken posted:

There were a few Batman Returns games. A neat one for the SNES, and then one for Sega CD that I remember not being nearly as good.

Yeah, the Sega CD game was pretty bad. It's just the Genesis version with some frustrating driving levels added in.

There was also another Sega CD Batman game (this time based on the animated series) that was all driving levels. It was alright, but it did have some cool animated cutscenes made specifically for the game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

zidane13 posted:

What was the SNES Batman game where you could choose gadgets and if I remember right, they had Street Fighter-esque button combos to use?

That would be Batman Forever that totally had sprites that looked like they were for Mortal Kombat.

It's a pretty bad game though. I never been able to beat the GB version of that game. It was goddamn hard to see poo poo.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
So this genesis Batman looks very creatively programmed and well designed, but i can't find a thing about the developer Clockwork Tortoise. They seemed like a no-name dev with no history, but come off the bat with a really impressive looking game. Anyone know what else they've worked on?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
There is a reason for that. They were a short lived development company. Founded in 1994. Worked on Adventures of Batman and Robin in 1995. In 1996 they closed down. So yeah they don't have much history unfortunately.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
I was under the impression that it was a company reformed from Zyrinx that later reformed again to I/O? Maybe I'm confused and all they really have in commmon is Jesper Kyd :(

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

Dectilon posted:

I was under the impression that it was a company reformed from Zyrinx that later reformed again to I/O? Maybe I'm confused and all they really have in commmon is Jesper Kyd :(

They were Malibu Interactive before that; they did the Batman Returns game for the Genesis/Sega CD (which, unlike this one, was the same game with extra driving levels in the CD version; the Sega CD game for this one is a completely different game with ONLY driving levels). And before being bought out by Malibu Comics they were Acme Interactive, which appears to have been a spinoff from Cinemaware that just did sports games.

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

The Adventures of Batman & Robin is seriously the most technically impressive piece of Genesis software out there. If there's an effect the Genesis can pull off, it's in this game, whoever programmed this must've known the system inside and out. Too bad it's not really all that fun if you ask me, which is all the more reason for me to look forward to watching Dectilon demolish this game.

Funnily enough, Jesper Kyd's soundtrack just doesn't do it for me in this game, the Phrygian scale is cool and all, but overall it's too droning for my taste.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Coming soon to a Hard Games Thread near you

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You have my pity. I'm toying with doing Maximum Carnage, and you have my pity.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Mine too. I would not wish that game on my greatest enemy. This is what the hard games do to us.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The first few levels aren't that bad but The Lagoon finds a new way to gently caress me every time. Trying to get a good pile of poo poo recorded before I go back and add commentary.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I never played it on the Genesis, but I did have the Game Gear version. I never managed to beat it. I'm looking forward to dreading the lack of air.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

You have some pretty big shoes to fill here buddy.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"
I'm hoping the teaser image for the OP is going to be somebody giving Ecco the finger.

Also, a little bit of news on the Journey to Silius front (Yeah, remember that?): I'll try to hunker down on getting Stage 3 recorded and work on editing it over the next week/few days. Been having a fairly bumpy ride with getting adjusted from finals to summer job, and plus Stage 3 is where the game starts to be a bitch.

EDIT: Apparently doing a GIS on "giving the finger" yields some interesting results.

SnakemanMn fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 13, 2013

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Dectilon posted:

The Adventures of Batman and Robin

Something about this game feels super familiar to me - like the way the bolos charge up and going green and all the different attack types and the powerups and sort of the general gameplay. But, that's where it stops - the actual content and appearance of this level seem completely foreign. I thought for sure it was going to be like Batman Forever that I'd played, but, as noted here, turns out that that game is nothing like this one, in fact none of the other batman games on the mega drive are remotely similar to this one, and we didn't have any other consoles when I was young... so... now I'm really confused.

Just a quick note that you should probably resize your footage by at least 2x for putting it on youtube so you get more than 240p.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Youtube hasn't mangled it so far and that's what it is straight out of the emulator.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

Youtube hasn't mangled it so far and that's what it is straight out of the emulator.

Can I make a weird suggestion - seriously, just try it for a test video. Like, get a lossless upscale of your video beyond 480 pixels vertically - go up to 720. I'll swear up and down that my Contra 3 videos were 1000x clearer, and I deleted them, but my "I Have No Mouth" test videos made Betus go "whoa." Going up to 720 improved it dramatically. I know it shouldn't matter, but YouTube doesn't bother with anything but below-default "we'll muddy the poo poo out of any of video at 640x480 or below" style of compression. If they think your video is "HD", they'll up the bitrate.

Just try it on a test one, and if you don't see instant results, call me an idiot and move on.

Speaking of idiocy, Contra Shattered Soldier is loving killing me right now. I can consistently S-Rank Stage 1, but I can't even finish Stage 2.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

slowbeef posted:

Speaking of idiocy, Contra Shattered Soldier is loving killing me right now. I can consistently S-Rank Stage 1, but I can't even finish Stage 2.

Yeah, I dunno what it is about that game. I'm good/decent at every other game in the series (bar Neo Contra and Uprising, which I've never played) but sit me in front of SS and I ragequit like a ten-year-old.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yeah, I dunno what it is about that game. I'm good/decent at every other game in the series (bar Neo Contra and Uprising, which I've never played) but sit me in front of SS and I ragequit like a ten-year-old.

Just beat it. I no joke just straight turned off the PS3 and said "not even bothering with stage 3 tonight."

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think that describes the experience Zeikier and I had with it last weekend but with less second level and more dying to that dumb worm boss.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

The first few levels aren't that bad but The Lagoon finds a new way to gently caress me every time. Trying to get a good pile of poo poo recorded before I go back and add commentary.

Hah, your earlier post finally convinced me to play the game again, and that's the stage I quit on. gently caress hallways filled with crabs.

And then they keep making your use your sonar to push stuff when you're already low on oxygen.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Here's a thing someone might want to see I guess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40lLW_T53rY

Just noticed that youtube mangled this one down to half the original resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm2x-oCWTKU This one might be a little better or something idk.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 13, 2013

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
If you're not seeing any difference, then don't worry about it. It's something I've noticed but my improvements were like night and day. Sorry for leading you down the wrong path.

Also, are multiple people planning Shattered Soldier LPs? I know I am, but if other people (who are maybe more qualified to do so), I'd like to know before I commit a bunch of practice. But no big deal, we could always have multiple. I didn't develop my Stage 2 Boss strategy for nothing is all!

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 13, 2013

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I'm teasing the idea of Earthworm Jim and Kid Chameleon once I have my last CHC videos ready.

For Kid Chameleon, I'm wondering how my run through that should be if it happens. Since there are so many ways to go through the game, should I just try to show off as much as I can in one run or some other approach?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

slowbeef posted:

If you're not seeing any difference, then don't worry about it. It's something I've noticed but my improvements were like night and day. Sorry for leading you down the wrong path.

I'm kinda dumb on this kind of thing so all kidding in titles aside I posted them to see if anyone could really tell the difference.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ For what it's worth I couldn't really notice a difference.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

I'm kinda dumb on this kind of thing so all kidding in titles aside I posted them to see if anyone could really tell the difference.

I can definitely tell the difference, The videos with 720p option have much cleaner results, and the individual pixels are showing properly. In the original 240p upload, it's a mess of pixel smears and artifacting; you can see this if you pause the videos when there's a lot of motion. This is the difference between Youtube's algorithms for low and high res video. We don't know why it does this, but it does.

Part of the reason it might not show up as much is that Ecco has a rather muted palette. This makes it seem a bit muddy to begin with, but Youtube mangling will only make that worse.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best on this one. This game is something else.

Goggle Fox fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 13, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For Kid Chameleon, I don't know that there's a clear "best" way to run it since the game is a maze of branching paths, looping paths, and secret exits. Honestly I'd say it's sufficient to just show a relatively normal runthrough, with perhaps the occasional detour for "If I'd gone this way, then I would have seen this other level (or the rest of this skipped level), which looks like this".

Of course, you also need a death reel at the end of each video. :black101:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Zeikier posted:

I'm teasing the idea of Earthworm Jim and Kid Chameleon once I have my last CHC videos ready.

For Kid Chameleon, I'm wondering how my run through that should be if it happens. Since there are so many ways to go through the game, should I just try to show off as much as I can in one run or some other approach?

It looks like you'll hit at least 75% of the game one way or another as long as you don't hit any major warps and plan out world 4 a little.

Just remember to hit Bloody Swamp, damnit.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

dis astranagant posted:

Well it's probably sensible to, if any concern persists, take the issue to the TSF rather than get further feedback in an actual LP thread, but, by my eye you're in much better shape although it looks like you're possibly not using PointResize as your resize filter (or maybe just have a lower encoding quality setting than ideal), but the improvement from the 240p video seems quite obvious. I made a video with PointResize(1280,960) from the attract mode to compare to yours - you can see a difference in like the health/breath meters and the definition (ie clearer pixellation) of Ecco's back or whatever but I mean, those 2 videos are a big step up from the first video you linked - Goggle Fox's feedback is pretty much spot on; you're way better off where you're at now, but there's probably like 5% more you could do that the TSF poster in me wants you to know about.

I think maybe you got caught out originally because, if your experience was anything like mine, it seems the videos Fusion makes say they're 640x480, even though they are in fact apparently 320x240, the genesis' native res, when they come out of ffmpegsource. Then caught out the 2nd time since it can take a short while for the 720p encode to show up.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

dis astranagant posted:

Nthing that the second and third videos looked the same on my rather decent monitor, but the first was considerably muddy and grainy by comparison. On the other hand, if you hadn't done the comparison, I wouldn't have thought the first was that bad.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

Zeikier posted:

You will be in my prayers when you reach the Crystal Crags. My brother and I actually purchased the cart from a local multimedia exchanging store chain and made an attempt to make a run through the entire game, taking turns each level/life, etc. We were both unknowing of just how long that game is. I think we made it as far as Stairway To Oblivion and that was where the last of our lives/continues were drained off. And now... looking at that stage map and locating the Stairway... Dear god. :froggonk:

I'd say tackle Kid Chameleon first. I'd really like to take a looksee at that before Earthworm Jim.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
My roommates banned me from playing Contra: Shattered Soldier my freshman year of college because I played it over and over obsessively. I finally got to the point where I could S-rank the opening four missions, but the fifth mission doesn't open up until you get to it, and it doesn't save the face that stage five is open when you turn off the PS2, so there's no way to consistently practice it. Shattered Soldier is about memorization moreso than any other game in the series, before or since. Knowing what the patterns are (because there is almost zero deviation, if not actually zero deviation) and what Weapons are best equipped for each situation is what the game is all about. Really, shattered soldier is time that would be better spent learning an intricate song on an instrument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Earthworm Jim is a wacky surreal cartoonish video game starring an earthworm in a magic suit called Jim. I think the manual said something about saving a princess or something but I don't think anyone cared about that when they played. Most people I know seem to have fond memories of Earthworm Jim and I suspect it's because they either didn't actually play very far in the game or they played the second one and assumed the first was basically the same thing.

While I wouldn't say Earthworm Jim is a terrible game, I can't say it's a great one either. The levels have a lot of cheap design decisions which make it a real pain to play sometimes and the lack of a password system meant that unless you were a very determined kid, you weren't going to finish it ever.

Ragny fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 20, 2013

• Locked thread