Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TLM posted:

Homophobic Jay Briscoe apologist caller on latest After Dark

He comes off worse than Briscoe did.

Apparently ROH is making Jay apologize for what he said on Twitter. That should go well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM
Mar 3, 2009
I don't follow ROH but from what I've read he is giving up his pay for the next two shows and donating it to a charity. He also has (had?) to apologize in front of a live crowd, and he deleted his twitter.

At the very least, it looks like Briscoe learned his lesson about saying dumb poo poo as a public figure. This caller and those with his mindset however are the real problem, since they see the hate that spewed forth and saw no problem with it, even agreed with it.

The caller was awful and I really hope his opinions are not that popular within the wrestling fanbase. It's 2013. A man loving another man is fine, black people are the same as white, women are the same as men, and the earth is round. The problem is people with these hateful attitudes keep everybody down in different ways except for themselves.

It really is sad seeing people put down gay people and not letting them get married when in our recent history, and lots of people who are still alive remember when we had segregation and how hosed that was.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TLM posted:

I don't follow ROH but from what I've read he is giving up his pay for the next two shows and donating it to a charity. He also has (had?) to apologize in front of a live crowd, and he deleted his twitter.

At the very least, it looks like Briscoe learned his lesson about saying dumb poo poo as a public figure. This caller and those with his mindset however are the real problem, since they see the hate that spewed forth and saw no problem with it, even agreed with it.

The caller was awful and I really hope his opinions are not that popular within the wrestling fanbase. It's 2013. A man loving another man is fine, black people are the same as white, women are the same as men, and the earth is round. The problem is people with these hateful attitudes keep everybody down in different ways except for themselves.

It really is sad seeing people put down gay people and not letting them get married when in our recent history, and lots of people who are still alive remember when we had segregation and how hosed that was.

The live apology is supposed to be at tonight's show

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

The live apology is supposed to be at tonight's show

Odds of them somehow using it to get Hardy over as a heel for being pro-equality?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The homophobic After Dark caller was great.

"Maybe shooting them is over the top, but I don't know, you don't have any kids yet, Bryan...But maybe when you do you'll think a little bit differently about the subject."
:allears:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The homophobic After Dark caller was great.

"Maybe shooting them is over the top, but I don't know, you don't have any kids yet, Bryan...But maybe when you do you'll think a little bit differently about the subject."
:allears:

Bryan should have asked Snorki.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Looks like this will be an amazing AOW

"Dave Meltzer' posted:

And Colt Cabana. Did his podcast, loads of fun.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I can not WAIT for that.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

hahahah holy poo poo Dave is gonna be on AOW? gonna have to listen for the first time in ages for that one.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A wrestler is interviewing a wrestling journalist for a podcast!

We're through the looking glass here, people! :psyduck:

I can't wait.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Gaz-L posted:

Odds of them somehow using it to get Hardy over as a heel for being pro-equality?
"Like hell I'll accept that Matt Hardy's my equal!" :argh:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This reminds me that I never listened to Konnan interviewing Dave for MLW.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

MassRanTer posted:

This reminds me that I never listened to Konnan interviewing Dave for MLW.

It's really fun. Some really loud obnoxious noises in the BG at certain points but it was a really fun listen.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HulkaMatt posted:

I can not WAIT for that.

This.

HulkaMatt posted:

It's really fun. Some really loud obnoxious noises in the BG at certain points but it was a really fun listen.

It's been a while but I seem to recall Konnan asking a bunch of wrestling history questions which I thought was super cool, but I'm a nerd like that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jack Krauser posted:

Bryan should have asked Snorki.

Sounds like the cat would have a more well thought-out opinion.

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Looks like this will be an amazing AOW

I am all in.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dave Meltzer posted:

I haven't watched it yet, I'm watching Smackdown.

What the gently caress?!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Arbite posted:

What the gently caress?!

He wanted to see Mark Henry pull 2 trucks. I can't blame him.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I subscribe to about 25 different podcasts of all different subjects but I can honestly say I've rarely ever been so excited to hear an episode of a show like the AOW with Big Dave.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Another Ten Count with myself, HulkaMatt, KFG and MRT is in the books!

Topics: 1. The Shield is no longer undefeated
2. Dolph Ziggler's health and what it means for the World Title
3. Why did Jack Swagger beat Alberto Del Rio in the poll?
4. WRESTLER OF THE WEEK: The Iron Sheik
5. Kenta Kobashi's retirement
6. There's a WHOLE NEW WAY to enjoy the Punchsport Podcast!
7. WWE Extreme Rules preview
8. FEUD OF THE WEEK: Pat Patterson vs. Gerald Brisco
9. What if Eric Bischoff wasn't so short-sighted and obsessed with winning the ratings war?
10. There's another big show this week!

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Do Dave and Bryan do weekly Raw reviews for subscribers? I'm dropping the LAW. Wai Ting has always annoyed me with his humorless dick schtick, but today he spent like ten minutes arguing that Austin Aries was totally okay to wave his dick in front of Christy Hemme's face and he just got madder and madder that this action was not interpreted as "being a heel", as opposed to "harassment".

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Require More Fire posted:

Do Dave and Bryan do weekly Raw reviews for subscribers? I'm dropping the LAW. Wai Ting has always annoyed me with his humorless dick schtick, but today he spent like ten minutes arguing that Austin Aries was totally okay to wave his dick in front of Christy Hemme's face and he just got madder and madder that this action was not interpreted as "being a heel", as opposed to "harassment".

yea there's a post-Raw show every week

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Do I need to go back and retrieve that story of the time I saw Jason Agnew punch a kid at an anime convention? Pretty much everyone involved with LAW is horrible. Dave and Bryan do the Raw recap on the Monday night Observer show, then generally Bryan and Vinny go over it again on the Tuesday B&V.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

njsykora posted:

Do I need to go back and retrieve that story of the time I saw Jason Agnew punch a kid at an anime convention? Pretty much everyone involved with LAW is horrible.

Yes please.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The LAW is a terrible show that comes off as extremely neckbeardy and boring. Wai Ting is literally a charisma vacuum who seems like he actively hates his job.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'd rather listen to Pollock and Ting over Bryan/Vinny ten times out of ten, but they clearly do way too much content in a week on top of paying jobs and that comes through in their podcasts a lot. You can always tell when they've had a few days off because the podcast is stronger.

I have absolutely no use for Agnew and Lovranski though. Neither add anything to the shows they're on. The actual LAW show is my least favourite of the ones they do.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

wow that's loving abhorrent. I honestly wouldn't have expected that from him.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I was just glad it was an argument, Pollock seemed kind of thrown by it too.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Jake the Snake just likes making bird feeders and watching birds. :unsmith:

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Can we all take a moment to read about our Wrestling God, Dave Meltzer, in the NY Times?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/sports/wrestling-reporter-dave-meltzer-tries-to-keep-it-real.html?smid=pl-share

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Euthyphro posted:

Can we all take a moment to read about our Wrestling God, Dave Meltzer, in the NY Times?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/sports/wrestling-reporter-dave-meltzer-tries-to-keep-it-real.html?smid=pl-share

When Keeping it Real Goes Right.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Dave's office looks just like how I'd imagine it. Especially his big ol' CRT monitor.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lloyd Boner posted:

Dave's office looks just like how I'd imagine it. Especially his big ol' CRT monitor.

WHERE IS THE BEATLES POSTER?!?!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If Meltzer's income is in six figures that's just the greatest and most :3: thing.

That whole article is completely :3:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

hahahah no kidding. his phone looks really old, too.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRanTer posted:

WHERE IS THE BEATLES POSTER?!?!
That was my first thought.
Very disappointing.

I love the fire extinguisher.
Dave wants to protect his documents.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Meltzer is a national treasure

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

It's just like I imagined with all the papers strewn about. :3:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Cool to see a complementary article on him in the NY Times and it's great that he's apparently doing very well.

I wonder how his subscriber base has changed over the years?

Wrestling's certainly nowhere near as hot as it once was, but his newsletter is certainly more accessible now with the online subscriptions and of course casual fans aren't really his target audience anyway. I'd be curious to see how static it's remained since the online version became available and the merger with F4W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Where's the japanese fax machine

• Locked thread