Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Stelas posted:

Yeah, but bells just make the game boring. I had to debate long and hard over having the projet since it's basically an improved bell, but the fact it uses melee AI means it is at least somewhat fallible.
Give it the Blood Moon. At that point even bosses are hosed since the moment they reach 0 MP they start taking insane amounts of damage from overcasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Bleu posted:

I'd recommend players change the tileset, incidentally, because the original one is pretty jaggy-lookin'. I use this one from the 4chan Pastebin dump - just overwrite the picture in /graphic in the elona+ folder. The interface is nice, too, because it has little sisters. Which, I guess, is sufficient for a big dumb baby like me.
Is there a change in soundtracks you can install? I saw a Wild Arms theme at some point, but the link is dead.

I see there is Kaneda's bike as a pet. The game has lots of references.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I tried to read a book and now my home is taken by a bunch of high level monsters :(

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
I'm doing way better now with the advice I got in the thread now, got a cozy house, a storage house and a farm in full tilt. And I let myself get the "Rain follows you" ether disease trait on purpose which actually helps my farming out loads.

Now I just have to figure out how to raise all my potentials from their abysmal states. :saddowns:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
If you're rich you can buy potions of potential from souvenir vendors and then bless them and drink them all at once. Otherwise, eat good food.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hey, you guys all know that you can allocate skill points, right? I mention this because no one I've thrown this game at figured it out until I told them, usually by the time they had like 100 saved up. The skill points raise potential too. :eng101: This should really be in the OP.

Bholder posted:

I tried to read a book and now my home is taken by a bunch of high level monsters :(

Well even the tutorial tells you not to do that. :colbert:

The new interface is cute but I doubt I'd ever remember what all those little icons mean.

e. The faq totally lies and you can totally release Ebon during the Festival of Jure. I got so much free poo poo.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 14, 2013

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Best cooking implement in the game :getin:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I don't think being blessed does anything, does it?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Verviticus posted:

Elona is 40% placebo effect. I will bless anything I drat well please.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Devor posted:

Best cooking implement in the game :getin:

Dawn clothwork? What, you shop at the Salvation Army or something?

Spirit clothwork is what the real cool kids hang with.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Dawn clothwork? What, you shop at the Salvation Army or something?

Spirit clothwork is what the real cool kids hang with.

Maybe if you're the kind of guy carrying around portraits of madams.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Devor posted:

Maybe if you're the kind of guy carrying around portraits of madams.

Hey, the shopkeeper told me it was a collectible. Besides, I need to bling my crib out and a few madams aren't a bad way to do it!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Verviticus posted:

I don't think being Blessed does anything, does it?
It makes you boisterous and hilarious.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
I just had a long battle with Zeome. He killed all my pets except my King, which I had just summoned at my ranch prior to the fight, and my Fallen Angel, who despite being level 42 kind of sucks. I managed to get Zeome down to almost no health and he began to run away. This happened multiple times and each time he would heal up to somewhere around a quarter of his health. Finally, he ran into a corner and out of sight. I give chase and next thing you know I get a some sort of victory message. Zeome ran to a far corner of the room, overcast his heal and died.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh loving what, I can't teleport the Mage Guild questgiver guard. :argh: I don't wanna do his lovely book quest!

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I wonder what would happen if he were to meet an unfortunate accident. Would the same thing apply to the other two guilds?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

The wiki says that if the guild guards die, the incognito scroll thing doesn't work downstairs.

e. And I can't test it because he KOs me in two hits.

I don't wanna join a guild, I like that all the trainers come to my house. :saddowns:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Corridor posted:

I don't wanna join a guild, I like that all the trainers come to my house. :saddowns:

This is pretty fair. You could always just wish for the skills you're missing and then ignore the other benefits.

Verviticus posted:

I've definitely seen improvements going from a normal portable tool to a blessed one when at lower skill levels.

Miijhal posted:

Give it the Blood Moon. At that point even bosses are hosed since the moment they reach 0 MP they start taking insane amounts of damage from overcasting.

It actually has the <Scythe of Void> and a miracle sniper rifle, so it's still pretty hilarious to watch in action. I like to think it's balanced because even then it can't survive a single 80-90 dungeon level.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Why is god indifferent to my giiiift

I've raised my Faith two whole points since he rejected me, and he still doesn't care. I just want him to notice me! But he doesn't even know I exist... :smith:

Stelas posted:

This is pretty fair. You could always just wish for the skills you're missing and then ignore the other benefits.

Oh sweet, didn't know I could do this.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Corridor posted:

Oh sweet, didn't know I could do this.

Alternately, blessed scrolls of growth will always give you a skill you haven't learned yet. So if you learn all the normal non-guild skills, the blessed scroll will always give you a guild skill.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Devor posted:

Alternately, blessed scrolls of growth will always give you a skill you haven't learned yet. So if you learn all the normal non-guild skills, the blessed scroll will always give you a guild skill.

This has changed in Elona+, where blessed scrolls of growth now give you an extremely substantial (20-30%?) boost to all your skill potentials. Mostly because I've been reading every single one I can get to keep my potentials sky-high.

e: I'm pretty sure you're thinking of 'gain attribute', not 'growth'.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Corridor posted:

Oh loving what, I can't teleport the Mage Guild questgiver guard. :argh: I don't wanna do his lovely book quest!

I was able to teleport the guard away in my game. He might be wearing a piece of no-teleport gear, you could try learning Pickpocketing and steal it off him. I haven't tried it in Elona+, but the fastest way to train pickpocketing in vanilla was to get your strength high enough to where you could go into the snowy wilderness and steal trees out of the ground.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

rodney mullenkamp posted:

I haven't tried it in Elona+, but the fastest way to train pickpocketing in vanilla was to get your strength high enough to where you could go into the snowy wilderness and steal trees out of the ground.

Emergent gameplay at its finest.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I tried wishing for Greater Evasion, using the wiki's wish string, and it gave me a level in Travelling :mad:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Did you wish for "skill greater evasion"? Because that worked out okay.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I was able to teleport the guard away in my game. He might be wearing a piece of no-teleport gear, you could try learning Pickpocketing and steal it off him. I haven't tried it in Elona+, but the fastest way to train pickpocketing in vanilla was to get your strength high enough to where you could go into the snowy wilderness and steal trees out of the ground.

Be sure to clear the area first. Don't want that putit catching you red-handed!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

a medical mystery posted:

Be sure to clear the area first. Don't want that putit catching you red-handed!

I'm picturing some adventurer just looking for the right Christmas tree and some over-enthusiastic monster lecturing him on how he's harming the environment.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
<Forevergreen> the christmas tree, objects to your advances.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Finally, my ranch is paying dividends.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Stelas posted:

Might be a bit wasteful, though; it's probably better to get some form of incognito, teleport away the guild guard, then break in and cast it.

Then get the skill and bail, because they get angry again once incognito wears off.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Reallycoolname posted:

Might be a bit wasteful, though; it's probably better to get some form of incognito, teleport away the guild guard, then break in and cast it.

Then get the skill and bail, because they get angry again once incognito wears off.

This entire conversation spawned from the discussion that the guard could not be teleported away. (Theoretically because he has an item that prevents teleport)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Reallycoolname posted:

Guild members don't care if your incognito wears off so long as you activated it after you went down the stairs, unless you do something dumb like save and reload while inside the guild. No I totally haven't done this and been obliterated for it, what are you talking about?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I was able to teleport the guard away in my game. He might be wearing a piece of no-teleport gear, you could try learning Pickpocketing and steal it off him.

Oh goddammit. Of course this is what's going on. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Can someone please tell me what to do to make my god stop being indifferent :smith:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Keep sacrificing virgins, at least those that say they are.

http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Gods

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Corridor posted:

Can someone please tell me what to do to make my god stop being indifferent :smith:

That means you're at your maximum favor for your current level of Faith. Grinding Faith up to where you can get the final rewards would take a long time, so keep some gear around that "makes you more pious" to swap to while offering things.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Corridor posted:

Oh goddammit. Of course this is what's going on. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

I would try praying, if that doesn't unfuck your favor then something's gone quite weird.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Corridor posted:

At a guess, you either switched out a piece of 'It makes you pious ###' equipment without noticing or your final sacrifice before the god went indifferent was something fairly major. Probably the former.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ugh, I'm wearing the only pious equipment I have and I've already poured a bunch of points into faith. And praying stops your god being indifferent because it lowers your favour...

Stupid Opatos, I am weighed down with ores here.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Corridor posted:

Ugh, I'm wearing the only pious equipment I have and I've already poured a bunch of points into faith. And praying stops your god being indifferent because it lowers your favour...

Stupid Opatos, I am weighed down with ores here.

I throw a farm down next to Godville. It lets me farm things right next to it for Kumiromi, and you can use it as ghetto storage for other gods if you wanted, I guess.

Note that the random furniture counts towards your item limit, so if you want to store things go around and pick up all the trees and scarecrows and leave them in the wilderness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
Since my first guy is a farmer, logically I choose my second character to be a chicken...

Chickens start with anatomy, martial arts, eye of mind and greater evasion. This is not as hilarious and jokey as I thought it'd be. :stare:

Fake Edit: Oh BS. You still have the basic human sprite? That's way less awesome than I was hoping. :argh: