Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Link's Awakening has the most impressive 8 bit music ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOo5yr76RJs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Seasons is a great game, and Ages has some pretty decent dungeons. But anything that's not a dungeon in Ages is slow and boring and you're often forced to play terrible minigames to progress the plot. Ages is probably the worst 2D Zelda.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, Best Buy are now selling digital codes for first-party 3DS games - they're all still priced at RRP for now, but I guess you can still get discounts using gift certificates or credit or whatever.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nintendo-3DS/Nintendo-3DS-Game-Downloads/pcmcat278100050001.c?id=pcmcat278100050001

(There's a category for Wii U downloads, too, but it's empty.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo NA dudes, Best Buy are now selling digital codes for first-party 3DS games - they're all still priced at RRP for now, but I guess you can still get discounts using gift certificates or credit or whatever.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nintendo-3DS/Nintendo-3DS-Game-Downloads/pcmcat278100050001.c?id=pcmcat278100050001

(There's a category for Wii U downloads, too, but it's empty.)

Best Buy also takes Paypal on their site, so that is very useful if you got any spare money in your balance.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Three VC games on the JP Wii U this week (Super Metroid, Pac-Man, Mappy) plus yet another promotion - if you buy either Pac-Man or Mappy before the 29th, you get the other for free (I think).

They're getting Mega Man X, Glory of Heracles 3 and the classic kusoge IKKI next week, in case anyone cares.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Capcom seems interested in getting a steady stream of releases out on both VC platforms, so I figure it probably won't be too long before we see MMX as well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, that's why I mentioned it, I figured it'd be a good indication of what's in the pipeline for other regions.

While I'm here, Natsume has confirmed that Harvest Moon GBC will finally be out on the NA 3DS VC this week.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Link's Awakening has the most impressive 8 bit music ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOo5yr76RJs

One of the best themes from my favorite 2D Zelda. :allears:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Well I am on day three now of trying to download a retail game I bought on the WiiU: Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I get error code 105-3155. Keep in mind I never get any download errors on any other console I've ever owned. The store has no problem connecting either; it shits itself after around 75%; or around 6 hours of downloading (using 30mbps FiOS internet).

Nintendo tells me they "have no code 105-3155" on file, so I'm filing a chargeback. Luckily their digital purchase system is such poo poo that I am confident they can't "pull a Origin" and ban me from their online store. Nintendo really needs to get their poo poo together. And this is coming from a guy with Miyamoto in his goddamn username.

:argh:

edit: I'd consider the USB ethernet thing as I am thinking maybe the WiFi on the WiiU is causing problems, except, for some unknown reason, the WiiU is the only console in history that doesn't have enough power to run a portable hard drive using only 1 USB port. :arghfist::spergin:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 15, 2013

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Well I am on day three now of trying to download a retail game I bought on the WiiU: Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I get error code 105-3155. Keep in mind I never get any download errors on any other console I've ever owned. The store has no problem connecting either; it shits itself after around 75%; or around 6 hours of downloading (using 30mbps FiOS internet).

Nintendo tells me they "have no code 105-3155" on file, so I'm filing a chargeback. Luckily their digital purchase system is such poo poo that I am confident they can't "pull a Origin" and ban me from their online store. Nintendo really needs to get their poo poo together. And this is coming from a guy with Miyamoto in his goddamn username.

:argh:

edit: I'd consider the USB ethernet thing as I am thinking maybe the WiFi on the WiiU is causing problems, except, for some unknown reason, the WiiU is the only console in history that doesn't have enough power to run a portable hard drive using only 1 USB port. :arghfist::spergin:
I only have a super reliable internet connection on my Wii-U using a USB Ethernet adapter, but I too found that a new Seagate single USB port bus-driven drive will not work without throwing random errors. So I decide to order one of these Y power adapters that everyone keeps saying will work, realizing all too late that now downloads will probably fail due to wi-fi as there are only two rear USB ports. So now what, plug in the USB port Ethernet cable, keep exactly 25gb on on board free, download the game, unplug the Ethernet cord, plug in the two USB port hard drive then move the data?

And what of the 15 gigs of data that all transferred just fine, only to die when I started Lego City and now refuses to transfer back without throwing an error code? Is that data lost? Will I have to redownload it? Are my saves dead? Will it work fine when the Y-cable arrives and just worked with one port long enough through sheer random luck? What of those of us with data caps?

I'm the guy that loves showing off the Wii-U and I feel like the only guy in Illinois that has one, but I just looked at the system last night and said "screw you to hell". and walked away from it. That's not good.

Yes, I realize the solution is to send the drive back to Amazon through no fault of Amazon's, buy a stupidly huge external hard drive with an AC adapter and then use both the Ethernet adapter and an external hard drive. It's just so awesome that my setup only really accommodates one HDMI, one Ethernet and one power outlet, because that's never not been enough. Plus now I'll have an external larger than the Wii-U itself with a big ugly, power wasting wall wart attached to a zip tied extension cord and another stupid power light that's on all the time. What a load of balls. :emo:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
There are two more USB ports under the front hatch.

VV Cool

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 15, 2013

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
You know, I noticed those at one point and dismissed them as both being an ugly option and also assuming that somehow they only worked for stupid controller like peripherals, but that's probably the best idea yet. Gives me one more thing to try, anyway.

Thanks.

Edit: another crazy idea, but I wonder if using the USB Y-Cable connected a high amp cell phone universal USB charger for the power side of the Y would work? It still requires using another wall outlet, something that causes the greatest :spergin: in me to come out, but at least the drive would still be nice and tiny, I could use the Ethernet USB adapter in the back and could leave the USB door in the front closed.

:cripes: Nintendo

mister negative fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 15, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You should be able to just use wifi. It isn't throwing constant errors for most people.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I was annoyed by the wifi performance and got a wired adapter but to be honest it's not a whole lot better, but it won't slow down if someone turns off the microwave at least. Their network really just isn't very good.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Most people have said using a wired ethernet adapter is actually slower.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Three VC games on the JP Wii U this week (Super Metroid, Pac-Man, Mappy) plus yet another promotion - if you buy either Pac-Man or Mappy before the 29th, you get the other for free (I think).

I bought Super Metroid for 30 yen last night.

The Pac-Man + Mappy deal is buy one, get the other half off.
That's still nowhere near interesting for FC games that have not aged well.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Does anyone else have trouble switching from left to right on the Gamepad's d-pad without hitting up or down in the process? It's making Super Metroid all but unplayable for me, because I can't pull off walljumps consistently, and I've completely forgotten how to even play without doing silly jumps and breaking sequence.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Does anyone else have trouble switching from left to right on the Gamepad's d-pad without hitting up or down in the process? It's making Super Metroid all but unplayable for me, because I can't pull off walljumps consistently, and I've completely forgotten how to even play without doing silly jumps and breaking sequence.

I had that issue at first, and brace yourself for some heresy, but I found using the stick to actually work pretty well. It's not quite as precise, but it stopped loving up my wall jumping, so it's worth a shot at least. Haven't tried it with Shinesparking yet, though.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I hated doing Super Metroid wall jumps.
Instead of letting myself get frustrated, I just pulled out my turbo controller, set it to max, then bombed myself up vertically. (This cheat lets you reach places you shouldn't be able to go.)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Artix posted:

I had that issue at first, and brace yourself for some heresy, but I found using the stick to actually work pretty well. It's not quite as precise, but it stopped loving up my wall jumping, so it's worth a shot at least. Haven't tried it with Shinesparking yet, though.

Even on the original Wii VC I found wall-jumping easier with the stick, not sure why.

Super Metroid already had button mapping, but I appreciate being able to customize controls even more now. Setting a trigger to dash makes life easier.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

the trick is to take your thumb off the dpad when changing directions

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

The Pac-Man + Mappy deal is buy one, get the other half off.
That's still nowhere near interesting for FC games that have not aged well.

Oh, my bad.

Yeah, the games themselves aren't particularly good but the fact that they're able to do these sorts of promotions now is a good thing.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I'm glad to see it's not just me. I'll try the analog stick next time, maybe it'll help.

.TakaM posted:

the trick is to take your thumb off the dpad when changing directions

Yeah, I was doing that and it helped a lot, but I'm not used to it so whenever muscle memory would take over, I'd forget to lift my thumb and screw it up. I just died to Kraid for the first time in ages, because I managed to get up to him without the high jump boots but then I completely failed to walljump while in combat, so I couldn't get up to his weak spot after he stood up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of May 16):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (permanent price drop) - €29.99 / £23.99
    Resident Evil Revelations (demo)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
    Super Metroid (SNES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until June 14
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £8.00 until May 30

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity - €39.99 / £34.99
3DS eSHOP
    The Starship Damrey - €7.99 / £7.19
    Retro Pocket - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man 5 (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Summer Scramble (children convos, difficulty **) - €2.49 / £2.29
  • Champions of Yore #1 (Marth, difficulty *) - free until May 19, normal price €1.99 / £1.79
  • Champions of Yore Pack (Marth, Roy [difficulty *] and Micaiah [**]) - €3.49 / £2.99 until May 19, normal price €4.99 / £4.49
DSiWARE
    Color Commando - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Aero Porter (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until May 30
    Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30
    Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30
    Planet Crashers (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until May 30

NA update (week of May 16):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (May 21) - $49.99
    Resident Evil Revelations (May 21) - $49.99
    Resident Evil Revelations (demo)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) - $4.99
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (NES) - $7.99
    Super Metroid (SNES VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30 until June 14[/i]
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    The King of Fighters '99 (Neo-Geo) - 900 Points / $8.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Super Mario World and get Super Mario Bros. 2 for 50% off! (Wii U VC) - ends May 23
    BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop) - 25% off until May 30

3DS eSHOP
    Swords & Soldiers 3D - $7.99
    The Starship Damrey - $7.99
    Bowling Bonanza 3D - $5.99
    Dress To Play: Magic Bubbles - $3.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man 5 (NES) - $4.99
    Harvest Moon (GBC) - $4.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Future Past #2 ("glimpse into the future", difficulty ****) - $3.00
DSiWARE
    California Super Sports - 200 Points / $1.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Aero Porter (3DS eShop) - $2.99 until May 30
    Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until May 30
    Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until May 30

The exact wording on that SMW/SMB2 sale: "Starting today, save 50 percent on Super Mario Bros. 2 when you buy the Wii U Virtual Console(TM) version of Super Mario World(TM) from the Nintendo eShop." One would hope it's retroactive for anyone who already bought SMW. (Can someone check and see if the PAL store is getting the same deal?)

Swords & Soldiers 3D is a port of one of WiiWare's most popular games - it's a sort of 2D sidescrolling RTS... thing.

Starship Damrey is a "short-form horror adventure game" from the people behind the classic visual novel Night of the Sickle Weasel, and the first of Level-5's Guild02 series of games.

The PAL version of the FE "Summer Scramble" DLC is uncensored, or so I'm told. Have fun gawking at Tharja in her bikini, weirdos!

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 17, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm curious on Starship Damrey impressions. If anyone bites in please share how much you like/hate it.

The PAL version of the FE "Summer Scramble" DLC is uncensored, or so I'm told. Have fun gawking at Tharja in her bikini, weirdos!

Just don't mention her "white, soft, boingy bits". :laugh: Following the censorship woes in both NA and EU has been rather amusing.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 16, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The exact wording on that SMW/SMB2 sale: "Starting today, save 50 percent on Super Mario Bros. 2 when you buy the Wii U Virtual Console(TM) version of Super Mario World(TM) from the Nintendo eShop." One would hope it's retroactive for anyone who already bought SMW. (Can someone check and see if the PAL store is getting the same deal?)

The offer here is 20% off. It runs until May 23rd. Originally £3.49, reduced to £2.79 if you own SMW.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

PAL update (week of May 16):

NA update (week of May 16):

Oh really? That's interesting! It's nice to see they're doing sales like that. I hope it's retroactive. I already have SMW, and for 50% off I'd gladly add SMB2 to the mix!

I hope this is a sign of future sales to come.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe this means in the future they can do something where if you own SMB1, 2, 3, and lost levels they'll throw in All Stars for .50, or if you buy Mario Kart 64 they'll give you the MK64 track pack in Super Mario Kart 8 for free. I won't hold my breath of course.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh really? That's interesting! It's nice to see they're doing sales like that. I hope it's retroactive. I already have SMW, and for 50% off I'd gladly add SMB2 to the mix!

I hope this is a sign of future sales to come.

I wanted to get Super Mario Bros 2 again to play it but never bought the Wii VC version, so this is very nice indeed.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Saoshyant posted:

I'm curious on Starship Damrey impressions. If anyone bites in please share how much you like/hate it.

I'll bite, I was going to get it anyway.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Saoshyant posted:

Just don't mention her "white, soft, boingy bits". :laugh: Following the censorship woes in both NA and EU has been rather amusing.

NA is for babbys. :suicide:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So just a heads up, Swords and Soldiers 3D is only $7.99, not $9.99. Also, Bowling Bananza is $5.99 for the sake of completeness.

E: Also, it's only Future Past #2 this week.

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 16, 2013

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Just to confirm it, the Super Mario World / Super Mario Bros. 2 offer is retroactive. SMB2 showed up as $2.49 for me. :) That's the kind of offer I hope they follow up on as the Wii U VC expands. Things like that will actually get me to buy more. Happily gulped up SMB2 and Super Metroid.

As for Harvest Moon 3DS VC...Mega Man 4 is up but HM isn't. Maybe later today...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Harvest Moon is definitely up in NA, I just checked the eShop to download Starship Damrey.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Artix posted:

Harvest Moon is definitely up in NA, I just checked the eShop to download Starship Damrey.

Oh! You're right. It's just not in the "Virtual Console" section yet (where I was checking), but it is under the "Recent Arrivals" tab. Sweet, I've been waiting for this for a while. :)

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

I don't see Chasing Aurora on sale anymore but Bit Trip Runner 2 is on sale for $11.25. Picked that up, Super Metroid and SMB2 this week. Good week. :toot:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So glad for this Mario Bros 2 sale being retroactive for Mario World owners. Not bad for $4 to own two of my favorite games.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I hadn't intended on getting SMB2, but if they are going to give it to me for half price since I bought Super Mario World then I have no choice...well played Nintendo!

Also if/when someone plays it I wouldn't mind hearing impressions of Swords & Soldiers 3D.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
For fucks sake, Super Metroid has French or German subtitles in the opening video. Was it always like that in the European version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yes.