Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

McCloud posted:

I'll be watching Superman 2 and 3 next week. I vaguely remember 2 being at least a bit better than 1, and the third one was downright good, I think. It has been over a decade since I saw them though, so we'll see..

I am in Bizarro World right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

McCloud posted:

but it's not just the silver age goofyness, although that is a big reason why I didn't like it.

Then you're going to hate, hate, Superman 3. It is very much a Silver Age Superman Story.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I am in Bizarro World right?
Are you saying that this isn't the standard that Man of Steel has to exceed?

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3IQF_A6m4c&t=35s

There's something endearing about superman being a complete dick

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah I enjoy Superman 3 a lot because it is so goddamn corny. I was just wondering why that guy complained about how Superman 1 was goofy but then said Superman 3 was downright good.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
strangely, edit is not reply...

Danger fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 6, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Joe Don Baker posted:

Yeah I enjoy Superman 3 a lot because it is so goddamn corny. I was just wondering why that guy complained about how Superman 1 was goofy but then said Superman 3 was downright good.
Well, he was talking from vague memory. Honestly, I find the first two Superman movies to be really boring and stuffy. There is a lot that turns me off like Superman beating up the trucker, and then there are just weird moments like Superman throwing his S. The acting is amazing, and I'm not sure we're ever going to get a Superman quite like Reeve. The movies are also very important for the superhero genre. The first two Spider-Man films and first two Dark Knight films borrow a lot from the structure of Superman I and II. Still, watching them often feels like a chore.

As goofy and bizarre as Superman III is, it really comes off with a greater sense of self-awareness to it. It feels like Adam West's Batman at times. I'm not totally defending the film. It's a weird and flawed movie with a whole separate Richard Pryor movie tucked in there. Still, I get how someone could enjoy it more and enjoy the silver age goofiness in a way they did not enjoy the goofiness in the first two movies.

I'd also be lying if I didn't say that Clark beating Superman wasn't a bit formative for my view on the character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For those that haven't seen this yet

I really hope this is sticking out of the side of a tall building like in Last Son to give some weight to the battle.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
There's a pretty good review of Superman III here and here that makes the case - somewhat persuasively - that it's the best of the movies, or at least, the one that's aged the most gracefully.

I'm not about to go back and verify because this close to the release of Man of Steel, I'm trying to take it light on Superman media because I want to be able to judge it on its own. But I do have a soft spot for 3, even though it scared the living poo poo out of me as a child.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I never saw Superman 3. I had no idea it was supposed to be a Superdickery movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

I never saw Superman 3. I had no idea it was supposed to be a Superdickery movie.

If I remember it's not so much a Superman movie as it is an idiotic attempt at a PG Richard Prior movie. Superman's just a supporting character who's Superdickery is the only redeeming aspect of the movie.

But it's been forever and a day since I saw it, so I could be remembering wrong.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gyges posted:

If I remember it's not so much a Superman movie as it is an idiotic attempt at a PG Richard Prior movie. Superman's just a supporting character who's Superdickery is the only redeeming aspect of the movie.

But it's been forever and a day since I saw it, so I could be remembering wrong.
Ah, come on. It's not even close to being the worst idiotic attempt at a PG Richard Pryor movie.

Anyway, there is a lot of Superman in the movie. And in a lot of ways, it's a take on Superman that is closer to the modern conception of the character. It really pitches the idea of Clark not only being a pretty awesome dude, but the real heart of the Clark/Kal-El dichotomy. The Richard Pryor stuff isn't really too different than how the first two Batman sequels dealt with their villains. It's a tangential villainous origin story in which the villain and hero do not or barely interact during the first act and then come to a head in the third act. The problem is that Pryor's character and plot are confusing and weird as gently caress with it not being really clear if he's a bad guy or not. It's a really flawed movie, but it's also a sequel to two other flawed movies.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Superman's Cape is the breakout star of this film.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

McSpanky posted:

Superman's Cape is the breakout star of this film.

I'm confused, does he have yellow in the chest shield or not...gotta go track down a trailer now

Edit: just checked he's got a dark yellow/gold backing to the red S. so that first wallpaper is all kinds of making me nerd angry

treeboy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 17, 2013

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Dirk Digglet posted:

There's something endearing about superman being a complete dick

Seriously, I strive to become a multi-millionaire if only to finance this very movie. Just a 3 hour epic saga of Superman The Complete rear end in a top hat, running around Metropolis and ruining people's days.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jefferoo posted:

Seriously, I strive to become a multi-millionaire if only to finance this very movie. Just a 3 hour epic saga of Superman The Complete rear end in a top hat, running around Metropolis and ruining people's days.

Batman Brave and the Bold had an amazing episode that was just Superman being an rear end.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Batman Brave and the Bold had an amazing episode that was just Superman being an rear end.

Red K's a helluva drug.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Every episode of Brave & The Bold is amazing. That episode started with King Tut versus Mummy Batman & Robin with special Bat-Bandages that protected them from his zombie curse, and screw you if you can't keep up 'cause Brave and the Bold is doing this poo poo at its own speed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

treeboy posted:

I'm confused, does he have yellow in the chest shield or not...gotta go track down a trailer now

Edit: just checked he's got a dark yellow/gold backing to the red S. so that first wallpaper is all kinds of making me nerd angry

Bah why did they do that, I can't unsee it now! Also it looks like they photoshopped enormous bodybuilder veins into his suit arms, that's just nasty.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Very minor story detail in this picture's final paragraph that I just friggin' love.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

McSpanky posted:

Bah why did they do that, I can't unsee it now! Also it looks like they photoshopped enormous bodybuilder veins into his suit arms, that's just nasty.

all i can figure is they wanted more contrast by keeping the color palette smaller. It even looks like they may have photoshopped the color (as would make sense) on the crest in order to get it to be blue since its a slightly different shade of blue and oddly inconsistent in its shadin quality

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need someone to take away my bank account, I've been buying way too many old Superman things this week because of how hyped this film is making me. And I have a line on a coveted piece of Superman merch I've wanted for close to 5 years now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wow, that article totally shifted my opinion of Superman 3. It really is that Silver Age wacked out stuff.

That said, if it were up to me to greenlight, I'd never let another Superman movie get made until they figured out how to reanimate or clone Christopher Reeve. He's just too perfect, no one is ever going to approach his level of basically being the character.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

AlternateAccount posted:

reanimate or clone Christopher Reeve.

Dear God don't give them ideas, I don't think anyone wants to see a Blackest Night arc movie.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

AnonSpore posted:

Dear God don't give them ideas, I don't think anyone wants to see a Blackest Night arc movie.

They could always create a bald villain with some sort of disease that makes him HUNGRY for the DELICIOUS STEM CELLS of NEWBORN BABIES that he has to suck out of them or his body breaks down into a paraplegic state.

I'd pay to see that.

edit: Why DID Reeve lose all his hair anyway?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AlternateAccount posted:

edit: Why DID Reeve lose all his hair anyway?

The accident paralyzed all his hair follicles.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
EDIT: WAIT! gently caress!

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline

AnonSpore posted:

If it gets me a Superboy Prime scene I'm all in

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

McCloud posted:

I have to ask, is the reason people like the old Superman movie primarily nostalgia? I watched the first one yesterday, and it was kinda bad. Kinda real bad. The first hour was hopelessly tedious, everything about the antagonist was laughably bad (his only two henchmen are a bumbling retard and a pin-up secretary who constantly gives him poo poo?), his "grand scheme" was insane in the worst way (The greatest crime in history was a real estate scam? Really?) and Lois's monologue asking Superman if he can read her thoughts were just terrible, and the whole ending was just superbad, even by silver age standards. There were some glimts of greatness, mostly from Marlon Brando, but I just can't understand why so many people remember this as a good movie. What am I missing? Even as a pretty big Superman fan, this movie was terrible.

Sort of, yeah.

A lot of is pretty dated and cheesy but Chris Reeve's loving IS Superman and sells it really well. He's the living prototype of the character for that era. For the time it came out, Superman: The Movie worked fantastically and in spite of its flaws, really did nail some of the essential elements of the character and the folklore. The effects were great for their time. There's a lot Americana, for lack of a better word, in the original that takes a really jaded and cynical person to brush aside. Then again, I'm old and remember seeing it in theaters as a kid so, yeah, I'm sure nostalgia enters into it.

It's sort of like watching The French Connection, Taxi Driver or Mean Streets now and wondering what the hell was so gritty, violent and hard hitting about any of those films.

Man of Steel is looking positively off the chain right now though. This might one of the few movies that actually gets me to a theater.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dirk Digglet posted:

If it gets me a Superboy Prime scene I'm all in

Why would you want this terrible thing?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm imagining the "gently caress YOU" keyboard smash from Wanted, but it's Superboy Prime smashing the reality wall and shards of time forming the words.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Anyone else at their local Walmart bright and early for Man of Steel tickets? There's like 8 people ahead of me in line. Tickets are cheap, too. $9 for 2D, $12 for 3D.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Look at this motherfucker.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

Look at this motherfucker.

Our civilization has evolved beyond the need for clothing that makes any goddamn sense and which doesn't require a team of 4 people to put on.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

If they included a Superboy-Prime commentary on the DVD, I'd buy seven.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Jimmy Olsen is still up to no good these days.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh man, this behind the scenes featurette has some nice new footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtcEtDDqvu8&hd=1

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Oh man, Superman's big-rear end grin as he flies. :allears:

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
I can't wait!

Dear Superman,

for a guy faster than a speeding bullet, you are taking to long...

New images:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is it me, or do his arms look a bit short here. Might be the angle I guess, heh.

• Locked thread