Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Phanatic posted:

First launch of the X-47 drone from an aircraft carrier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqAa57UGZ1s

I wonder if the guy in yellow standing in front of the unmanned aircraft waving his arms about feels just the least bit silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ihop posted:

I wonder if the guy in yellow standing in front of the unmanned aircraft waving his arms about feels just the least bit silly.

Supposedly the aircraft has some sort of system that can recognise gestures like that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MrChips posted:

Supposedly the aircraft has some sort of system that can recognise gestures like that.

Probably something like this :frogbon:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Stupid Airbus question: During taxi in an A320, I heard 4 or 5 "bark"-like squeals from the undercarriage. Upon reaching the gate, I heard something similar. Since the barks seemed to coincide with engine spool-up/down, I suspect the PTU. It sounded like it was right under my feet, and freaked the heck out of a bunch of people around me.

I've flown in A32Xs before and noticed they make a bunch of weird noises. Boeing jets, on the other hand, tend to be quieter - some 'clunk's, but no barks or whoops or "WOOOORIUUUA" noises.

Is there some reason why Airbusses tend to be louder? Are the French big fans of odd barks and squeaks? Is it their passionate nature expressing itself through the medium of hydraulic noises?

The barking is a hydraulic converter, letting the #1 system power the #2 system when the #2 engine is shut down. It's kind of a fun noise, really. I think the Boeings use all auxiliary hydraulics for taxi, powered by the APU, so no barking of hydraulic transfer, but I'm not sure about that.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Stupid Airbus question: During taxi in an A320, I heard 4 or 5 "bark"-like squeals from the undercarriage. Upon reaching the gate, I heard something similar. Since the barks seemed to coincide with engine spool-up/down, I suspect the PTU. It sounded like it was right under my feet, and freaked the heck out of a bunch of people around me.

I've flown in A32Xs before and noticed they make a bunch of weird noises. Boeing jets, on the other hand, tend to be quieter - some 'clunk's, but no barks or whoops or "WOOOORIUUUA" noises.

Is there some reason why Airbusses tend to be louder? Are the French big fans of odd barks and squeaks? Is it their passionate nature expressing itself through the medium of hydraulic noises?

I flew the other day on an A319, my first time on an Airbus after flying dozens of times on Boeing planes. And I've heard the noises I think you're talking about. There we're some loud bangs every time they applied the brakes. Freaks me out but then I read about the A319 and its never had a fatal accident which makes me feel much better for my flight tomorrow on one.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yup, the barking dog is the PTU. 767s have one as well, but it works slightly differently so you don't generally hear it. Plus, bigger plane = noisy bits farther from cabin.
So on the baby bus, whenever either the green or yellow hydraulics pressure drops and there's a demand on that system (1 engine running, or running on electric pumps and a high demand user causes pressure to drop), the PTU kicks in and uses the other hydraulic system to spin a pump to boost pressure in the low side.
There is no fluid transfer between systems.
As for the clunky brakes, they're just clunky! :shrug:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

movax posted:

Probably something like this :frogbon:

Except the system in the X-47 cost $5 million per aircraft, took twelve years to develop and is still probably outperformed by Kinect.

(not really, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RMPs are loud. You should hear the ones on a DC-10 when one of the two relevant systems runs dry and the FE forgets to turn it off...

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

MrChips posted:

Looks like there were a bunch of guys with remote-control rigs of some sort. I'd be a little surprised if they had the technology/confidence in technology to trust waving your arms at a back-up camera, when they can put two contractors with redundant remote controls onboard for time and a half.

Military tech test/demos are fake as hell, and this is probably at least as faked as the fill things that aren't supposed to explode with water and things that are with radio transmitters tests.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I know this is a stupid question, but did the drone land on the aircraft carrier after? I remember a saw a post earlier of a test with an arresting hook that proved it could be done.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

mustard_tiger posted:

I know this is a stupid question, but did the drone land on the aircraft carrier after? I remember a saw a post earlier of a test with an arresting hook that proved it could be done.

At the end of the video theres a shot of the drone landing on land. I'm sure they'll work up gradually to landing on the carrier, it might even be hand flown down to a carrier.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mustard_tiger posted:

They did a land landing after the launch. They have done arrested landings on land though. Probably a few more weeks before a full carrier launch/recovery.

D C posted:

At the end of the video theres a shot of the drone landing on land. I'm sure they'll work up gradually to landing on the carrier, it might even be hand flown down to a carrier.

I don't think that they did. Pretty sure that it was just loaded onto the carrier. The first landing on a carrier would have been bigger news than the launch.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
The end of the video says they're gonna do a bunch of approaches and then by the end of summer do a full carrier landing.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
http://defensetech.org/2013/05/15/navy-preps-drone-for-first-carrier-landing/

A little more info in this link. They are gonna try for a touch-and-go in the next week or so, then build up to a landing by the end of summer.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
The movie "Stealth" is going to be real :psyduck: This honestly blows my loving mind.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
The DEW Line blog says they have a ways to go on improving the arrested landing performance.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/05/the-day-of-the-unmanned-aircra.html

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Plinkey posted:

I don't think that they did. Pretty sure that it was just loaded onto the carrier. The first landing on a carrier would have been bigger news than the launch.

You just agreed with what I posted?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

D C posted:

You just agreed with what I posted?

I don't think that the hand flew it to the carrier, that's all.

e: I read 'be' as 'been'. So yes.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 17, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

burtonos posted:

The movie "Stealth" is going to be real :psyduck: This honestly blows my loving mind.

So is Toys with Robin Williams :psyduck:

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
That drone looks so weird on the flight deck, even stranger in the hanger bay. One of my favorite things to do while waiting in the chow line was to check out the planes. Hard to day dream about one you can't pilot on the inside.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TooLShack posted:

That drone looks so weird on the flight deck, even stranger in the hanger bay. One of my favorite things to do while waiting in the chow line was to check out the planes. Hard to day dream about one you can't pilot on the inside.

I don't know, man, those drone pilot chairs look COMFY AS gently caress.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrYenko posted:

I don't know, man, those drone pilot chairs look COMFY AS gently caress.

The chairs in Air Force GCS's (control station for Preds and Reapers) have emergency egress handles. This makes me laugh quite a bit.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Sooooooo, you know that Mosquito those Kiwis got flying? Well, it's coming to Thunder Over Michigan! :neckbeard: Among the other guests are an ME-262, an F-100, and, I believe, a Phantom. Gonna own.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

A Boeing 737 caught fire upon landing at Moscow's Vnukovo Airport today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUjvc8uOfhQ

That emergency exit onto the wing seems a little odd - how are they meant to get off the wing onto the ground, and aren't they a little close to the fire exiting there?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I don't think the wings are that high off the ground. And using the exits intelligently to avoid the fire is part of any aircraft evacuation, regardless of where the fire is.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

JingleBells posted:

A Boeing 737 caught fire upon landing at Moscow's Vnukovo Airport today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUjvc8uOfhQ

That emergency exit onto the wing seems a little odd - how are they meant to get off the wing onto the ground, and aren't they a little close to the fire exiting there?

Overwing exits normally have slides that inflate when you open the hatch. I do not know why that didn't happen, here. Maybe we have a 737 mechanic or driver around?

As a general rule though, you should probably not stand on top of the fuel tank during a fire evacuation. :v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I thought sliding down the flaps was normal for a 737 evacuation, but I could be wrong. Just recalling the emergency cards from the seatback pockets from memory.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Ferret King posted:

I thought sliding down the flaps was normal for a 737 evacuation, but I could be wrong. Just recalling the emergency cards from the seatback pockets from memory.

This is what you do on a 707. Instead of slides, the overwing hatches are packed with the big survival rafts.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

This is correct; there are no evac slides for the overwing exits in a 737. IIRC survival rafts are optional for the overwing exits as well.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

MrChips posted:

This is correct; there are no evac slides for the overwing exits in a 737. IIRC survival rafts are optional for the overwing exits as well.

Your avatar says otherwise :v:

My brother is driving through South Dakota, apparently "a fighter jet" buzzed him in I-90. I love to think the pilot was just messing with him.

Edit:

That's definitely a 737-C
:goonsay:

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 18, 2013

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gullous posted:

Your avatar says otherwise :v:

That's a 757.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

That's a 757.

Going by the engines, I'd say it's a 737-200, unless you know of any 757s that have had JT8s fitted :colbert:

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Not to derail with stupid pictures, but when I saw this airplane painted on a bar's mural last night I had to share. FedEx planes are coming and going all day long here in Memphis, you'd think somebody would pay attention to the engines.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SybilVimes posted:

Going by the engines, I'd say it's a 737-200, unless you know of any 757s that have had JT8s fitted :colbert:

Those are CFM-56s, are you kidding me? That's a 737-400. Two exit doors over the wings.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

benito posted:

Not to derail with stupid pictures, but when I saw this airplane painted on a bar's mural last night I had to share. FedEx planes are coming and going all day long here in Memphis, you'd think somebody would pay attention to the engines.

Or the general shape.

Edit: Without exaggerating, I can say I hung preschool crayon drawings on my fridge that were more accurate than that.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

benito posted:

Obviously the artist did pay attention to the engines (just not the rest of it.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Obviously the artist did pay attention to the engines (just not the rest of it.)

Well, one of them anyways.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Out in SF today, saw a helo fly under the Golden Gate. I didn't realize until I got home and looked it up that the FAR that prohibits fixed wing aircraft from doing that doesn't apply to rotorcraft, so that's cool I guess.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
The US Airways Dash 8 I was talking about a few weeks ago, the one that double diverted back to Roanoke, yeah well it crashed (belly landing) in Newark this morning with a landing gear failure...

Why are they posing by the registration? Is it just to make sure I knew it was the same aircraft? :what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
It's a Dash 8. Replace the props and gear and send it on it's way.