Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Huh, I just happened to see Paul F. Tompkins' 1998 HBO special Driven To Drink. I'm don't think I've ever seen it. It's... interesting to see where he came from. He's a lot less angry now. And by angry I mean fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
I'm thinking of going to see Joey Diaz and Ari Shaffir next week. Anybody seen these guys live? Tickets are only 22 bucks, but I would have to get a hotel too. If they put on a great show it would be worth it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Speaking of PFT, I found out recently that he was a character in the 70s Star Trek cartoon.

He lost a lot of hair, though.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Huh, I just happened to see Paul F. Tompkins' 1998 HBO special Driven To Drink. I'm don't think I've ever seen it. It's... interesting to see where he came from. He's a lot less angry now. And by angry I mean fat.
I get the impression that at some point he realized he had a drinking problem!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Al! posted:

Speaking of PFT, I found out recently that he was a character in the 70s Star Trek cartoon.

He was also a Nobel Prize winning physicist:

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Also a young Werner Herzog.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Yay Pudding! posted:

I'm thinking of going to see Joey Diaz and Ari Shaffir next week. Anybody seen these guys live? Tickets are only 22 bucks, but I would have to get a hotel too. If they put on a great show it would be worth it.

I like Joey Diaz but don't know how he is live. Ari Shaffir is a must see. I would absolutely go if I were you.

Also Dan Soder and Nikki Glaser's new Half Hours aired on Comedy Central last night.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

escape artist posted:

Ari Shaffir is a must see. I would absolutely go if I were you.

I totally forgot to post here after I bought it, but I finally caved into your incessant recommendations and bought his $5 special totally blind. By that I mean I honestly hadn't heard any of his material or knew anything whatsoever about him.

So I feel it is my duty to return and say holy poo poo yes, this dude is hilarious. It took me maybe 10 or 15 minutes to really get into him, at first nothing seemed very unique or special about his style, but he really just has that comedic knack. I'm a New Yorker originally, so I always love a great sarcastic Jew as well. Anyway, I wholeheartedly recommend his digital download, it's a very polished set that you don't always get in these $5 downloads. I was vaguely aware of him before, but now he's on my must-see list for sure.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

escape artist posted:

I like Joey Diaz but don't know how he is live. Ari Shaffir is a must see. I would absolutely go if I were you.

Also Dan Soder and Nikki Glaser's new Half Hours aired on Comedy Central last night.

Yeah, I think you're right. It's not very often I get acts that come within a distance I'm willing to drive, so I might as well take advantage. I've never seen either one of their standup acts, but I've heard them on podcasts and they always make me laugh so I'll give it a shot. I'm going to see Stanhope next month, so it'll be a good couple months for shows.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
You'll have a great time, Shaffir and Diaz are very very good :toot:

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

AUTOTUNED TOILET posted:

You'll have a great time, Shaffir and Diaz are very very good :toot:

You were right. I went with a buddy and we both had a blast. I ended up buying a signed copy of Ari's cd "Revenge for the Holocaust" and listened to it on the way home today. If anybody is a fan of his that hasn't heard that album, you should check it out. The last bit had me laughing so hard I almost had to pull over. Really good.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Should I spend $100+ dollars for "David Cross and His Super Duper Pals", which is coming to Chicago in a month? Featuring Brian Posehn, Doug Benson, Paul F. Tompkins, and Todd Glass. I love all those guys but I'm not sure I love them that much.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I doubt you'd see that kind of comedy line-up often. Then again I've never lived in a city that'd host something like this, so maybe it's common? Guess that'd be the deciding factor for you. I have family in Chicago and they've never mentioned a line-up like that before. God drat it, I've really got to move to a major city like Chicago.

If you aren't crazy about the comedians though and it's too much money, then why ask?

E: That'll be an amazing DLM though (assuming Doug can pull that off...)

Urk! fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 11, 2013

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

That's way overpriced for a comedy show that isn't the resurrected corpse of George Carlin.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
I thought that price seemed ridiculous, but after looking it's more like $55-65/ticket based on the venue website's info.

And if you're able to buy them in person at the box office you could probably shave a few dollars in Ticketmaster charges off of that, too. I just did that for an Anthony Jeselnik show next month and saved about $20.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

I thought that price seemed ridiculous, but after looking it's more like $55-65/ticket based on the venue website's info.
Is it a charity event, or something? $55-65 is kind of crazy, even for that line-up.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Is it a charity event, or something? $55-65 is kind of crazy, even for that line-up.

Website says $39-49 before surcharges. Much more reasonable considering it's not just comedy show X at comedy club Y but a theater show that's part of Just for Laughs. Wonder where he got the $100 figure from.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Website says $39-49 before surcharges. Much more reasonable considering it's not just comedy show X at comedy club Y but a theater show that's part of Just for Laughs. Wonder where he got the $100 figure from.

Probably for 2 people, innit.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Amy Schumer canceled her Orlando show, which would have been a few weeks ago, but we got tickets to see her in Tampa tonight, two hours away. She hardly repeated any material from "Mostly Sex Stuff," but she did recycle several bits we've already seen on the two aired episodes of Inside Amy Schumer and some of the promos for upcoming episodes. She peppered in a good deal of brand-new, unfamiliar material that I suspect we'll see on the show in some form or another this season.

Despite one loud, rude, drunk, possibly coked-up, and unfortunately pro wrestler-sized heckler in the audience (who she politely acknowledged, seemingly appeasing him), it was a great show and well worth the drive out of town. I'm really glad we got to see her live after all.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

jyrka posted:

Probably for 2 people, innit.

Yeah, didn't elaborate that this would be the total cost for two people.

I'm asking because I'm very good at talking myself out of anything, but I might regret it later. Yes, it is a theater show that's part of Just For Laughs so it's heavily advertised and might draw a more mainstream crowd.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

HateTheInternet posted:

Yeah, didn't elaborate that this would be the total cost for two people.

I'm asking because I'm very good at talking myself out of anything, but I might regret it later. Yes, it is a theater show that's part of Just For Laughs so it's heavily advertised and might draw a more mainstream crowd.

That is an amazing lineup and an amazing deal. Some of those people could pull $40 a ticket on their own. You have to go.

Also, Pete Holmes' new hour long special airs tonight at 11pm EDT on Comedy Central!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pete's special is really fun so far. And Pete's all about fun.

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
I was at the taping for Pete Holmes' special. I thought it was extremely funny and the rest of the crowd absolutely loved it too. On top of all the great material he did a ton of fun asides and had some great riffs on the technical difficulties during the taping. I am looking forward to comparing the TV version of the special to the one that I saw in person, that will be interesting.

Edit: some of his old college friends were sitting up front and he seemed genuinely surprised to see them there. I really hope that makes it into the special.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Pete's new special is hilarious. I saw him do pretty much all of the material last fall in Toronto (twice) but on the special it's just slightly more polished. He really laughs at himself a lot though.

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
As Pete said, "If you think I laugh at myself a lot during my special, you should see me watching my special"

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I need a little bit of help in finding a forgotten comedian I want to look up again. He had a bit that made me laugh so hard about how Christians in football act persecuted when they aren't, because if a devout Muslim were to play football and start praying during a touchdown celebration, whipping out the prayer rug and prostrating repeatedly on it, Americans would be like, "Wow! Football is CANCELLED!" Any ideas as to who it is? I remember he was on Spotify, but I can't seem to look through past albums I listened to to find it up on my own.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm going to the hot tub with Kurt and Kristin at the Virgil tomorrow. I see Dana Gould and Eliza skinner will be there so that should be a lot of fun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I'm going to the hot tub with Kurt and Kristin at the Virgil tomorrow. I see Dana Gould and Eliza skinner will be there so that should be a lot of fun.

I am very jealous it's no longer in New York :(

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

feedmyleg posted:

I am very jealous it's no longer in New York :(

I mean really you can't go wrong. 5 bucks and a ton of great comedians.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I mean really you can't go wrong. 5 bucks and a ton of great comedians.

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same format as the NYC show was, but I always appreciated that they let it be a little more loose than just a straight standup show here. It tended to book the weirder acts, whether that was comedic retro-future DJs or creepy fake-German brother-sister hip hop bands or magicians or even going all out variety and just getting a choir coming through town. And I loved how most of the time Kurt and Kristen didn't just use it for a practice ground for their standup but really tried to do something new and fun every week.

I have to say, Wyatt Cenac's straight standup showcase is no substitute :(

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

feedmyleg posted:

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same format as the NYC show was, but I always appreciated that they let it be a little more loose than just a straight standup show here. It tended to book the weirder acts, whether that was comedic retro-future DJs or creepy fake-German brother-sister hip hop bands or magicians or even going all out variety and just getting a choir coming through town. And I loved how most of the time Kurt and Kristen didn't just use it for a practice ground for their standup but really tried to do something new and fun every week.

I have to say, Wyatt Cenac's straight standup showcase is no substitute :(

This was my first time going since they started doing it in LA but it was generally a pretty straight up stand up show. Kurt and Kristen did do a great skit about hitler an Eisenhower meeting at the battle of the bulge. Everyone was really funny though. Dana Gould ended up not showing up but Kumail Nanjiani seemed to have taken his place because he wasn't previously advertised. He killed by the way. And I talked to kumail and Emily after the show and they were super nice and friendly. Eliza Skinner was also really great.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Patton Oswalt did an AMA on Reddit yesterday, and said he's finishing a second book covering his life/career from 95-99.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
That's dope. My favorite part of his last book was him talking about this hell gig.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Any time I've seen Kumail he's always been hilarious. Very good interaction with the crowds always.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Apoplexy posted:

I need a little bit of help in finding a forgotten comedian I want to look up again. He had a bit that made me laugh so hard about how Christians in football act persecuted when they aren't, because if a devout Muslim were to play football and start praying during a touchdown celebration, whipping out the prayer rug and prostrating repeatedly on it, Americans would be like, "Wow! Football is CANCELLED!" Any ideas as to who it is? I remember he was on Spotify, but I can't seem to look through past albums I listened to to find it up on my own.

I don't know this bit, but taking a shot in the dark it just sounds like something Eugene Mirman would say.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

http://www.laughspin.com/2013/05/23...est-performers/

That is one loving amazing list.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

soggybagel posted:

Any time I've seen Kumail he's always been hilarious. Very good interaction with the crowds always.

He told this amazing story of him witnessing a man making a cobra and a mongoose fight for a birthday party in Pakistan.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Man, I feel silly about my "$55-65 is pretty steep for a David Cross/Brian Posehn/Doug Benson/Paul F. Tompkins/Todd Glass show" comment after throwing down $37 for a Dylan Moran ticket.

Eh, gently caress it. When's the next time he'll show up in Portland?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Complicated schedule that week means I have to miss the climactic weekend, but it's pretty ridiculous that I'll see 5-8 anticipated shows (Burress, Notaro, Bamford, Glass, Kinane, and the usual pleasant surprises of Talk of the Fest/Andy Kindler's Alt Show/Midnight Surprise) across the Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday of that week.

Can't want to see Toronto's JFL lineup, too - this works out great for underserved Ottawa comedy fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Al! posted:

He also had a cameo in the 1992 Tinto Brass classic, All Ladies Do It

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 28, 2013