Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I actually don't care if Ramm-Jaeger is a huge rear end in a top hat or a huger rear end in a top hat, I hate TWI for adding unlocks and a crosshair and MkBs to the game, but yes, as if we needed more reasons not to be TWI fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Maybe next time you'll know better than to cross blades with Ramm <sheaths hanzo steel>

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

With someone like Ramm at the helm I'm starting to have trouble figuring out how the original RO managed to be a good game in the first place. Did all the other devs override him or something? Or has he only recently (while developing RO2) gone mad with power?

az
Dec 2, 2005

As far as I know, the original team had a bunch more members that did most of the work for the first game and have left since.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I need a short cap. I gave 400 hours to RO and DH, loving then. And I have kept enjoying Ro2.

What made it so bad? What is the evil TWI has done? What are the gripes?
I am genuinely curious.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
It's amusing to see game devs get short with constructive criticism. This isn't just a Jaeger/TWI thing, but it figures with how lazy some parts of RS/RO2 are. Would they prefer it if people simply ignored them so they could live under the delusion that they can do no wrong?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Busted on release (lag, bugs, crashing) took a while to fix it still has lingering problems.
Weird design decisions that don't fit into the realistic shooter mold like an unlock/rank system (must unlock the drum mag for ppsh or unlock a bayonet plus totally anarchic unlocks/weapons).
Can't decide whether it wants to be more like CoD or more like RO eg. have this realistic sighting system with range dialing but also you can magically zoom when aiming plus you can zoom even more with a button press.
Features promised before the beta are still not in (new vehicles, campaign) decided to focus on the RS dlc instead.
Ramm is a bit of a dick about his baby being the way he wants it on the forum.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Is anyone going to join the group or will I stay as the single lonely member forever, completely humiliating me?

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

Questioner86 posted:

You don't need the RO2 beta and if you just want to play RS install the RS Beta and leave RO2 uninstalled for now. Once the game goes live the beta app will disappear and everything will be on the main RO2 and you'll need to re-download that.

Fair warning to those with limited bandwidth, the RS Beta is getting 4 gig updates every couple of days while we iterate on maps based on beta feedback and data mining and it's going to be that way until we're ready to launch.

When is this expected to launch? I have to redownload everything at that time even if I install RO2 now, right?

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 22, 2013

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
How do I mark artillery? The team leader dude was just screaming at the squad leaders to mark artillery, and I didn't know how to. I was using the command menu (B), but it wasn't doing anything.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

Stevie Lee posted:

How do I mark artillery? The team leader dude was just screaming at the squad leaders to mark artillery, and I didn't know how to. I was using the command menu (B), but it wasn't doing anything.

You have to bring up the tactical display and then right-click on where you want to mark.

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

Trigger warning: Hate speech

Stevie Lee posted:

Squad leaders get binoculars (5). Mark behind enemy points, generally touching the back border is best.

If they are any good at all they'll mark it themselves. You can immediately detect a terrible commander if they are moaning about other people not marking for them.

It's nice if SLs mark and there's nothing wrong with asking, but the second they start whining is the second you should start watching your head for friendly arty because they are utterly incompetent and expect others to carry them (instead of expecting others to occasionally provide support).

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

milk man posted:

Squad leaders get binoculars (5). Mark behind enemy points, generally touching the back border is best.

If they are any good at all they'll mark it themselves. You can immediately detect a terrible commander if they are moaning about other people not marking for them.

It's nice if SLs mark and there's nothing wrong with asking, but the second they start whining is the second you should start watching your head for friendly arty because they are utterly incompetent and expect others to carry them (instead of expecting others to occasionally provide support).

Erm

It's rare you need to use binocs to mark. It works just fine in iron sights -- we aren't dealing with hundreds of meters in any of these maps.

You should always ask for SLs to mark. It is not the job of the commander to mark his own arty positions. What good commanders do is mostly alternate between tossing smoke while insta-dying and spending time at the radio. A properly playing commander is just as likely to whine as not if the squad leaders are poo poo... some just might eat it and mark their own positions, which means they're wasting time doing something the squad leaders should be doing. It's not "nice" if SLs mark positions, it's an integral part of the class's job. "Occasionally provide support", get the gently caress out of here... marking positions is what the class is supposed to do.

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

BBJoey posted:

With someone like Ramm at the helm I'm starting to have trouble figuring out how the original RO managed to be a good game in the first place. Did all the other devs override him or something? Or has he only recently (while developing RO2) gone mad with power?

With mod development generally you need to run things as a democracy otherwise you'll shed members fast especially if you have completely opposing views. When you actually have money and are paying people for their work you can simply play the "it's my way or the highway" card.

There's a lot of posts by developers on the TWI forums saying that they didn't 'agree with an idea but didn't have any choice in the matter'. Stuff like the unlock/hero changes in particular had a few devs voice their own opinions on the subject.

But yeah like other people said, TWI shed a lot of members after Ost Front so that contributes a lot to the general shittiness of RO2.

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

An Enormous Boner posted:

It's rare you need to use binocs to mark. It works just fine in iron sights -- we aren't dealing with hundreds of meters in any of these maps.
I usually mark from way back in spawn. With tree-covered maps or maps with lots of structures you often don't need to take 5 steps to mark almost anywhere on the map effectively as a commander by hitting distant trees/buildings. This method renders the terrain between you and the target irrelevant. Most ranges are totally doable with ironsights, yes. I never got into the habit I guess but you're right that it's generally the more efficient method (barring 600 meter tree branch click bullshit).

quote:

You should always ask for SLs to mark. It is not the job of the commander to mark his own arty positions. What good commanders do is mostly alternate between tossing smoke while insta-dying and spending time at the radio. some just might eat it and mark their own positions, which means they're wasting time doing something the squad leaders should be doing. It's not "nice" if SLs mark positions, it's an integral part of the class's job.
I play on pub servers. People who bitch about other classes not doing their jobs on pub servers are absolutely insufferable, because that is simply the reality of playing the game in that setting. It's especially irritating when the person constantly spamming comms with complaints could do the job if they just took 20 seconds out of their day. That's what I meant to say, not that it should be the commander's job in ideal conditions. Practiced SLs should definitely be marking for the commander for a more efficient team.

milk man fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 22, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

milk man posted:

I usually mark from way back in spawn. With tree-covered maps or maps with lots of structures you often don't need to take 5 steps to mark almost anywhere on the map effectively as a commander by hitting distant trees/buildings. This method renders the terrain between you and the target irrelevant.

This really isn't true. They specifically make the maps so this isn't possible. I don't understand.

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

This really isn't true. They specifically make the maps so this isn't possible. I don't understand.
I could make a video or something, I guess? I'm talking about the very tops of trees / tree branches / structures. In Saipan (I think that's the urban one) you have to get closer but in almost every other map you barely have to move.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

milk man posted:

I could make a video or something, I guess? I'm talking about the very tops of trees / tree branches / structures. In Saipan (I think that's the urban one) you have to get closer but in almost every other map you barely have to move.

For real if you can I wish you would. Actually it might be sploity enough that the developers would want to know. Either way it would be interesting.

edit: Even screenshots would be good, if video is too much of a pain.

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

For real if you can I wish you would. Actually it might be sploity enough that the developers would want to know. Either way it would be interesting.
Will do, I can cover where to put good arties too and then maybe some of these pubbies will watch it and not drop them right where the team is about to push. :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

milk man posted:

edit: Apparently this is the guy. Amazing.

There are some people in our world, who's first thoughts when waking up to meet the dawn a brave new day simply happy to enjoy the simple pleasures of their world and strive to be nice to their fellow man.

And there are simply pricks like Ramm who think wearing sunglasses and a beard makes them look bad rear end. gently caress those people.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

SeanBeansShako posted:

There are some people in our world, who's first thoughts when waking up to meet the dawn a brave new day simply happy to enjoy the simple pleasures of their world and strive to be nice to their fellow man.

And there are simply pricks like Ramm who think wearing sunglasses and a beard makes them look bad rear end. gently caress those people.

but his name is ramm and he is very cool because he makes video games for a living and wears a vagina on his chin and sunglasses on his eyeface.

i don't get why you hate when you should clearly appreciate.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spaceships posted:

wears a vagina on his chin

That's the only way he'll be near bush.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

When is this expected to launch? I have to redownload everything at that time even if I install RO2 now, right?

You have to download a big ol' patch for RO2 when RS releases. Installing RO2 now isn't your best bet. I'd stick with the beta for RS until the release. We're also splitting the single player portion into it's own thing once RS releases so that will save you some bandwidth.

Sorry, can't give you any expected launch until it's officially announced. That's the kind advertising undermining leak that gets people fired.

"Sooner than you'd think, but not as soon as you'd like" has been the official company statement.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
I'm disappointed the typical encounter range is slightly shorter than RO2, but I have to say... it works. I'm really enjoying what little time I've spent so far with it. Good job TWI. The semi-autos seem a little too powerful, but they'd be fine as long as they limited the hell out of them like in RO1. Yes, I know that's a common complaint in RO2 proper, but it really is true. Loving the maps, too.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Even if the semi-autos were limited/toned down in damage it would still be really easy to hurt people - Pretty much any hit to a person will at the very least stun them/cause them to have to stop and bandage. I think most guns are as lethal as the next at the moment. The major point for balancing seems to be increasing the damage of the Thompson a little.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
The light mortar is by far my favorite weapon. The direct fire rocket-quake style of combat is really awesome. The indirect fire is not so much fun.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got #1/most effective/most score by charging as a Japanese officer doing banzai charges, hacking people down with katana, getting into hidey holes in bunkers and mowing down GI from behind, and screaming various slogans in japanese for 30 minutes. My squad kept spawning on me and thanks to us we attacked the final base and won the round in overtime.

This game owns and is a must buy.

Also it was only like $11, I have a silly looking pistol in Planetside 2 that I paid twice as much for.

One of the best parts about RO for me through the years was that anytime I joined a random pub server there would be like 5 [LLJK] people usually playing at any given time. Lets keep that up. :v:

SERPUS posted:

The light mortar is by far my favorite weapon. The direct fire rocket-quake style of combat is really awesome. The indirect fire is not so much fun.

The indirect fire looks neat but yeah, I have not gotten any kills with it whereas the direct fire mode is brutal as gently caress and hilarious when you hit a couple guys head on causing them to gib everywhere.

Also I noticed when I banzai melee'd a guy I cut his arm off. You can almost see the resignment on a group of GI's face when a katana wielding samurai is chopping them down faster than they can turn their guns to fire at you.

soy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 22, 2013

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
How is the game community so far? Are there still SS roleplaying wehraboo sperglords that I can troll? Also do people actually do cool poo poo like banzai bayonet charges or do they sit behind at the front lines trying to pixel snipe?

Half the fun of RO2 was commisaring people who stayed behind the wall too long on Apartments and I want to have a steady supply of idiots that I can behead with a katana for dishonoring glorious Nippon by not throwing themselves against the baka meat grinder :japan:

E: well poo poo I guess I missed page 2. Looks like my target demographic of retards is still present...

beefart fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 22, 2013

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

milk man posted:

Those are the commanders who think they're a loving General. They like to hide in the radio bunker giving out orders, calling in recon planes and demanding squad leaders mark artillery for them so they can rack up kills without ever leaving the safety of their little bunker.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

beefart posted:

How is the game community so far? Are there still SS roleplaying wehraboo sperglords that I can troll? Also do people actually do cool poo poo like banzai bayonet charges or do they sit behind at the front lines trying to pixel snipe?

The Japanese are normally defending, so there aren't a lot of of banzai charges when that is the case. However, on maps like Guadalcanal(Easily my favorite current map) it seems that there will be a lot of well-organized banzai charges. It is actually pretty scary from the American player perspective. First, there will be a large smoke screen. Next, you will see a bunch of Japanese players surge forward and you will lose all your morale. There will probably be some incoming artillery as well. I would say it's tied with the coolest moment in the game. The other one being when you burn a ton of people when they are in a bunker.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
This is even less fun than the original RO2, how does that even happen

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Well I was enjoying this game last night. I didn't play it for that long and I'm really bad at it, just as I was really bad at RO2, but it was still fun anyway. It seems that I'm almost always one of the bottom few players on the whole server as far score and number of kills. It was the same with RO2 (but not RO1 for some reason). I guess because it's been ages since I've played any FPS games and I have a poo poo computer that struggles with some of the maps.

One of the highlights for me last night was when I turned around at one point to see a screaming Japanese person right in my face jamming a bayonet into my chest. I got off a couple shots with a Tommy gun before the bayonet entered my lungs but I don't think I even hit him.
:ughh:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Aufzug Taube! posted:

Well I was enjoying this game last night. I didn't play it for that long and I'm really bad at it, just as I was really bad at RO2, but it was still fun anyway. It seems that I'm almost always one of the bottom few players on the whole server as far score and number of kills. It was the same with RO2 (but not RO1 for some reason). I guess because it's been ages since I've played any FPS games and I have a poo poo computer that struggles with some of the maps.

One of the highlights for me last night was when I turned around at one point to see a screaming Japanese person right in my face jamming a bayonet into my chest. I got off a couple shots with a Tommy gun before the bayonet entered my lungs but I don't think I even hit him.
:ughh:

One thing to remember with RO games is that you won't do very well if you just chase kills, leaderboard wise. The majority of points come from capturing points, calling in artillery as the commander, having people spawn on you etc.

herr
Jan 19, 2009
I'm having a good time with this game. I've played every iteration of Red Orchestra, and this feels the most "fun" to me. I'm actually digging the closeness of the maps, coming from some RO2 maps, with ranges where you could hear a tank shell in the air for five seconds before it hit you.

I agree with what someone said about every gun being pretty much equally as deadly as the next. People complain about the flamethrower being overpowered, but I don't really see it. You don't really see that many people using it effectively, and they basically walk around with a sign that says, "HEY I'M loving OVER HERE, COME KILL ME BRO!".

I do feel like the BAR might be a little overpowered. I put out ~70+ kills a game with that beast. It shoots like a laser in short bursts and can also dominate in close quarters. Makes me feel like goddamn John Rambo.

I've been playing a lot as Burt Macklin, FBI, on Steam and in-game.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

One thing to remember with RO games is that you won't do very well if you just chase kills, leaderboard wise. The majority of points come from capturing points, calling in artillery as the commander, having people spawn on you etc.

Yeah and can you resupply machine-gunners in Rising Storm? I remember you would get 5 points in RO1 just for handing over an ammo box.

And I know I'm pretty bad just looking at the kills. I will struggle to finish a round with more than 3 kills. I know you're not supposed to sit back and pixel-snipe, and instead charge forward to kill people but I'm just not quick enough. You have to be so quick on the draw in these games, especially with all the close-quarters jungle and urban fighting. In RO2 you had all the built-up urban blocks with room-to-room fighting too which I was always really terrible at, although that doesn't seem to stop some people from just charging ahead like they're in God mode and mowing down 10 people in a row with seemingly no effort.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

herr posted:

I've been playing a lot as Burt Macklin, FBI, on Steam and in-game.

Macklin... you son of a bitch. I play as Peggy Olson, usually on the Japanese side, with the Type 38 Arisaka. We've crossed paths.

Original RO and Darkest Hour are still the most fun for me, but this is a good goddamn sight better than RO2, which I actually uninstalled after having played only a few hours more in release than I did in the beta.

Alain Perdrix fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 23, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

:shepicide:

At the end of this match, there were two Axis MGs literally overlapping each other on the ground they were so close and one TKed me as I charged in.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Aufzug Taube! posted:

Yeah and can you resupply machine-gunners in Rising Storm? I remember you would get 5 points in RO1 just for handing over an ammo box.

And I know I'm pretty bad just looking at the kills. I will struggle to finish a round with more than 3 kills. I know you're not supposed to sit back and pixel-snipe, and instead charge forward to kill people but I'm just not quick enough. You have to be so quick on the draw in these games, especially with all the close-quarters jungle and urban fighting. In RO2 you had all the built-up urban blocks with room-to-room fighting too which I was always really terrible at, although that doesn't seem to stop some people from just charging ahead like they're in God mode and mowing down 10 people in a row with seemingly no effort.

Yeah just run up to a MG dude and the context-sensitive button resupplies him.

I still couldnt tell you why even the 'classic' mode feels so lovely compared to ro1 other than the sloppiness
(e: a year later
e2: no wait 2 years since beta oh jesus
e3: How is CANNOT PRONE HERE FUCKFACE still an issue two years later)

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 23, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

nuncle jimbo posted:

This is even less fun than the original RO2, how does that even happen

Conversely, I really like it. I like the urban warfare feel of some maps and the maps like Guadalcanal too.

I liked RO2 but felt the room to room apartment fighting really bogged it down.

That and running across open fields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I received two beta invites to hand out for preordering the game it looks like, so be aware of that if y'all have any friends you want to get into things.

• Locked thread