Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Wyvernil posted:

For the record, I decided to go with Nanami and Souda for my votes this time. Somehow, I don't think Nagito will be available, though. The poll doesn't have any options for backup votes in case our preferred entry is unavailable, right?

Sadly, the only truly accurate way to have votes in a situation like this would be to allow for up to 14-way proportional representation, which is, ah, quite difficult and certainly beyond the scope of a free poll site. So this crude way will have to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oddsky
Apr 29, 2013
It was pretty nice indeed to have some of the characters reflect a bit on the fate of their classmates... It is still pretty sad to think they won't be around for the rest of the game.
What Nidai and Souda did was kinda obvious though, no big surprises there but I'm looking forward to how their "plan" might backfire. Who knows, maybe they will be involved in the next murder case because of what they did? That could be an interesting development.

As for the votes, I would like to go with Souda and Gundam.
Souda because I don't think we had free time with him before and well... we don't really know much about him, it would be cool to hear what he has to say.
Gundam because... I really enjoy his dialogue. Seriously, 90% of what he says is hilarious! But there's more to him, as we noticed in the previous free time with him. I really would like to know more about him and how he became the... peculiar person he is today.

Thanks again for your work guys, I'm really enjoying this play through!

Tea Bee
Apr 7, 2013
I really want to know more about Akane and Souda, so I'm putting in my votes for them.

As for Komaeda being chained up, I was kind of expecting this since it turned out he wasn't the killer in case one, but I figured it would be more of a unanimous decision. I hope this leads to Souda being more fleshed out as a character.

Tea Bee fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 25, 2013

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Voted for Nidai and Nanami. Nidai is a fun character, his hot-blooded yelling always cracks me up, and I'd like to learn more about him. Nanami has quickly become my favorite character in the game, and hey, you promised to play games with her earlier. I see her as having the potential to be really, really interesting.

Nagito's cool and all but I don't think he'd be available, and honestly, I don't care that much about him compared to the rest of the characters.

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You dudes realize the very last line of the update only says to post if there's something interesting about your vote right? Not just bolding names and saying "cuz they're cool"

Just makin sure.

I'm wondering myself though now that Nagito's revealed to be tied up if people can just freely wander in and see him, sounds like he'd be a big target if he can't move and is totally bound.

He was already sort of lined up to be the biggest target, in my opinion, because of his whole "I'll help any of you kill one another or me!" spiel.

Him being unable to defend himself is redundant if he had no interest in doing so anyway.

BigDB
Mar 21, 2013

orenronen posted:

If you didn't have that Kuzuryuu family of yours, you'd be nothing but a stupid midget!

Oh I almost wish that Kuzuryuu would kill Souda for this just to prove that you really shouldn't call him short, but I doubt it will happen since Kuzuryuu is all talk.

As for voting, I chose Nanami because she is my favorite character and Koizumi because she seemed like she had the most to say about all the things that has been going on lately and both of them seem the most level headed right now as well.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza
I'm kind of hoping you can hang out with Nagito right now and he winds up becoming the island's own Hannibal Lecter.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oliver Crowley posted:

He was already sort of lined up to be the biggest target, in my opinion, because of his whole "I'll help any of you kill one another or me!" spiel.

Him being unable to defend himself is redundant if he had no interest in doing so anyway.

That is a good point, I just think him being tied up would kind of be the deal clencher, like people may wanna kill him but are nervous that he might be trying to trap them and pull a reversal... but now he is tied up and the offer is there.

FedoraDefender420 posted:

You fool. You think this will stop us?

Apparently not :psyduck:

Dangan Ronpa 2 thread: Proving that people are selective about what they read.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

BigDB posted:

Oh I almost wish that Kuzuryuu would kill Souda for this just to prove that you really shouldn't call him short, but I doubt it will happen since Kuzuryuu is all talk.

As for voting, I chose Nanami because she is my favorite character and Koizumi because she seemed like she had the most to say about all the things that has been going on lately and both of them seem the most level headed right now as well.
Sure, Kuzuryuu might be all talk right now, but it seems obvious that the way he's going to be developed is that he's going to prove his worth, doing something that matters. And the easiest way to do that is to kill someone, though I guess that's not the only option.

And I'd say that Peko has been more calm than Mahiru, especially now that no one is making embarrassing comments about her panties.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Armanky posted:

I'm kind of hoping you can hang out with Nagito right now and he winds up becoming the island's own Hannibal Lecter.

That would make sense from a writing and programming standpoint. We couldn't do free time with him before the first trial because that would mean writing two different versions of the first few free time events, with and without the knowledge of his craziness. But if he spends the rest of his life (rest of the game?) confined to the same room after his big reveal, it's easy to write his events consistently.

Anyway, I voted for him and Saionji. A lot of her allegedly sociopathic behavior seems more like a cry for help; maybe if we pay attention to her, she'll ease up a little.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

So, I'd appreciate a cross-culture explanation for Hinata's reaction to Sonia's first line. Is nikorogashi difficult to make? Or does it smell unpleasant or something?

Also, I really hope we get more character development from Akane. Aoi ate a lot, but she had a lot more going for her than that, so it came off more as endearing. Eating seems to be ALL Akane does, apropos of even having any personality.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Kay Kessler posted:

So, I'd appreciate a cross-culture explanation for Hinata's reaction to Sonia's first line. Is nikorogashi difficult to make? Or does it smell unpleasant or something?

Also, I really hope we get more character development from Akane. Aoi ate a lot, but she had a lot more going for her than that, so it came off more as endearing. Eating seems to be ALL Akane does, apropos of even having any personality.

You can learn how to make Nikorogashi here. I think what Hianta is objecting to is the idea of making your cook make some obscure dish from a far away country, as a matter of principle.

Most characters in DR2 have more depth to their backstory than first appears, though for some the details are hidden in their free time events, so a first-time player may never see them.

CausticGambler
Apr 11, 2013

orenronen posted:

It seems there's one more person here we should've tied up.

Souda confirmed for ballsiest fucker on the island. Voted for him and Kuzuryuu.

The interaction between those two got me thinking about how the writers are gonna handle Kuzuryuu, actually. On one hand, he's a ruthless gangster, so him being a culprit isn't unlikely. On the other hand, him having no qualms about killing another person makes him a good target for another student who could claim they did it for "the greater good", so him being a victim isn't unlikely either. On some inexplicably present third hand, both of these conclusions are incredibly obvious; almost too obvious for either of them to be true.

Kuzuryuu is a Kansas City Shuffle of a character if I've ever seen one. I'm pretty excited to see what comes of him as the story develops. All I can say so far is that if Souda winds up dead, I know who I'm keeping my eye on.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Apparently I've spent too much time indoors playing games and not enough growing up in Asia, as I didn't know what Chinese Tops were either.

Turns out they're tops you hit with a whip to keep spinning as long as possible.

Here's a video of some folks playing with them.

I'm hoping that Jumping Rope is well-known enough, but as long as we're at it it involves holding a rope at both ends and swinging it in a circle around someone, requiring them to jump over it when it's at the bottom. Like this.

Still hoping we end up with some free time with Koizumi. Possibly it's because she's not very outrageous, but she really seems like the most developed character so far.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Kangra posted:

Apparently I've spent too much time indoors playing games and not enough growing up in Asia, as I didn't know what Chinese Tops were either.

Turns out they're tops you hit with a whip to keep spinning as long as possible.

Here's a video of some folks playing with them.

I'm hoping that Jumping Rope is well-known enough, but as long as we're at it it involves holding a rope at both ends and swinging it in a circle around someone, requiring them to jump over it when it's at the bottom. Like this.

In Nanami's defense, those aren't games. They're toys. Very different you see.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

That raises the question, does Nanami's SHSL Gamer title encompass board games, too? Tabletop RPGs? Card games? If she played a Gambling game against Celes, who would win? Do sports count as games? I may be just splitting hairs, but it wouldn't surprise me if this game pulled something like that. We may be underestimating what Nanami is capable of.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Kangra posted:

Still hoping we end up with some free time with Koizumi. Possibly it's because she's not very outrageous, but she really seems like the most developed character so far.

Yeah, she's pretty well rounded and her reactions seem very natural and real. Unfortunately it seems like the most outrageous characters will dominate the polls, though. I at least hope she isn't killed or executed early, she brings much-needed balance to some of the zanier characters like Gundam and Ibuki.

I had thought Nanami was rather dull early in Chapter 1, but the investigation and trial proved that she was surprisingly bright.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Ugh, why do so many people want to spend time with Nagito? Unless he reveals himself to be actually sane, he's as boringly loony as DR0 Junko. I hope we can't hang out with him.
I voted for Saonji and Sonia. Saonji because she's kind of hilarious in her bluntness, and would probably be really, really mean to Hinata. And Sonia because she's said some strange things that seem to point to her being rather more eccentric than first appearances would suggest.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Spatula City posted:

Ugh, why do so many people want to spend time with Nagito? Unless he reveals himself to be actually sane, he's as boringly loony as DR0 Junko.

He's loony in a cool guy kind of way. He is also a much better friend than half the weirdos on this island. :colbert:

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

alcharagia posted:

He's loony in a cool guy kind of way. He is also a much better friend than half the weirdos on this island. :colbert:

...Except that he willfully helped steer one of the other 'friends' on the island into committing murder, tried to take everyone down with a fake murder/suicide plan that derailed and has explicitly claimed he'd do it again if given the chance.

Some friend. Granted, we don't know what the cast will be capable or be willing to do as MB wears down their resolve, as was the case of the first game, but most of these kids? They're selfish or self centered in some way or another... or maybe it's better to say they're self absorbed. Saionji ridicules everyone, Kuzuryuu hates everybody and Souda and Nekomaru went in on trying to pacify a threat, but you don't really see anyone but Kuzuryuu at this point being suspicious of the rest of the group. They're still at least willing to trust each other far enough to meet and socialize again.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Onenronen, would you be willing to reveal before each voting session which characters will be unavailable? It doesn't seem like too big of a spoiler, and it would certainly reduce the number of "I don't think character X is gonna be available, don't even vote for them" posts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kay Kessler posted:

Onenronen, would you be willing to reveal before each voting session which characters will be unavailable? It doesn't seem like too big of a spoiler, and it would certainly reduce the number of "I don't think character X is gonna be available, don't even vote for them" posts.

I find it funner to find out after the vote is done. If Nagito really is not available then too bad for the people that voted for him.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Quick heads up: Someone recently posted a video of all the executions and deaths on Youtube, so ANYTHING Dangan Ronpa related, even just music from the first game, might have that as a related video, so avoid it.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Quick heads up: Someone recently posted a video of all the executions and deaths on Youtube, so ANYTHING Dangan Ronpa related, even just music from the first game, might have that as a related video, so avoid it.

While it's a good idea to avoid related videos, is the actual thumbnail or title spoilery? I doubt anyone's going to click something labelled "DR2 executions" or whatever.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

whitehelm posted:

While it's a good idea to avoid related videos, is the actual thumbnail or title spoilery? I doubt anyone's going to click something labelled "DR2 executions" or whatever.

I've seen a thumbnail, though I did not watch it. Title and thumbnail were definitely spoilery. (if accurate and not trolling)

geri_khan fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 26, 2013

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

whitehelm posted:

I assume he means they uploaded videos with poo poo like "DANGAN RONPA 2 EXECUTION NUMBER 1: HANAMURA" as their title - spoilers just by seeing their thumbnail.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Anatharon posted:

Just?

I've seen people doing that for a long time. We've gone over this: ANYTHING can be a spoiler. Anything.

Trouvaille
Dec 24, 2010

Bad job, but it pays well.
I've been eyeballing that little hair pin that Nanami has the entire game, wondering if that is the ship from Galaga/Galaxian. Am I imaging things, or is that what it's supposed to be?

Definitely voting for Nanami on the free time. Also, because this is my first time posting in either DR thread, thanks for all your hard work Orenronen!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I admit I might just have it burned in my memory but I think it looks more like the ship from Overkill.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

geri_khan posted:

I've seen a thumbnail, though I did not watch it. Title and thumbnail were definitely spoilery.

In that case, the best thing to do is get an add-on or something to hide related youtube videos in general. Even watching a bunch of oren's trial videos on polsy will get you DR related videos next time you go to youtube to watch anything.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

whitehelm posted:

The thumbnail had a character's face on it.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I was at Anime Boston today and there were several people selling DR/SDR2-related stuff, including spoilers for the whole Junko thing at the end of the first game. Fortunately no spoilers for SDR2, but it's still kind of weird to think about how this game is arguably only getting any fanart done over here because of Oren's work.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

yaoi prophet posted:

Fortunately no spoilers for SDR2, but it's still kind of weird to think about how this game is arguably only getting any fanart done over here because of Oren's work.

Makes you think how it would turn out with DR2.

If we take Oren's words about how DR2 is, the whole thing will explode at the end.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Nanami and Koizumi.
Wish we could meet more than two people at a time but what you gonna do?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
It's too bad Komaeda's gonna be too tied up to spend time with. I picked Tanaka and Chiaki because there is just something about them that seems off. Or awesome. Also, I can't tell if Tanaka's hamsters' names are references or not. Can someone clear that up for me?

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Bisensual posted:

It's too bad Komaeda's gonna be too tied up to spend time with. I picked Tanaka and Chiaki because there is just something about them that seems off. Or awesome. Also, I can't tell if Tanaka's hamsters' names are references or not. Can someone clear that up for me?

His hamster are named after manga publications.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

orenronen posted:

So, what should I do today? I get all jittery if I stay inside.

It's the little things like this that are making me like Hinata more as a character than Naegi. Maybe it's just me, but I always felt like Naegi came across as like "I guess I should go talk to someone" or "I'm bored and tired, I gotta go do something". (Not in some weird emo or loner way, but in an "I have virtually no personality" kind of way.) It definitely feels like Hinata has more of a personality (still less than the other characters, mind you) than boring old Naegi.

jacyndaquil
Apr 27, 2013
I'm actually really interested in Kuzuryuu's character. He's one of my favorites, I guess I just find the whole all-talk trait kind of cute.

Overall this update definitely brought me a bit closer to some of the characters like Ibuki and Akane, whom I had started to really dislike. They're still not at the top of my list, but seeing such "out there" characters experiencing their own sort of mourning for Togami was nice.

TroubleHalved
May 10, 2013
I doubt Kuzuryuu's actually killed anyone. He probably had hitmen or something, seeing how little he walks the walk. Like Togami in the first game. He's a douche, but he won't do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Polsy linking to be safe, but this is an awesome remix of the opening theme to DR2.

edit: There's a download link, but it has spoilers via track names, so click it at your own risk.
http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7NV_pkoFV90

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 27, 2013

• Locked thread