Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Two armed Hecatonchiers :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Tall Mans

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Attack on Titan or How I Learned About Size Shaming.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Xythar posted:

Or maybe yours is. Are we really going to go down this road?

I'm not one of the people who claims anything free is absolved from criticism, but I see absolutely no reason to get personal about something like this. Not with me and not with the editor in question.

I don't mind if you disagree with his decisions, but have some perspective.

I think the good Doctor rw rw rw made a pretty intelligent and educated and not really personal explanation of why your friend's choice is ignorant, though. HAVE SOME PERSPECTIVE from someone who literally knows what they're talking about.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/05/29/attack-on-titan-prequel-novel-gets-new-print-run-in-japan

I hope this gets translated by someone.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Captain Invictus posted:

I think the good Doctor rw rw rw made a pretty intelligent and educated and not really personal explanation of why your friend's choice is ignorant, though. HAVE SOME PERSPECTIVE from someone who literally knows what they're talking about.

What does that have to do with anything I said?

"Please don't do A, thank you"

"A-ha, but someone else did B!"

And re italics: We're gonna do that as well, huh? Nope. I've edited a lot of fansubs over the past year, but Shingeki is not one of them.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 29, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Segmentation Fault posted:

This is really missing the point but no it isn't. :colbert:
See the post below yours. :allears:

(It's a dig at lovely translators)

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 29, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

darkgray posted:

If this (NSFW) is official Mikasa abs, I think we'll be seeing some very fetishy doujins popping up.

The character designs and setting make the fanart for this show a blast to go through. Who cares if it gets abused for evil?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

What's funnier is that the Mikasa idol outfit comes from, yet again, official drawings by the manga creator. Can't seem to find said image, though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Rexides posted:

I would have gone with "Giant Assholes" to be honest.

I have never watched One Piece, is there a group that did this? I would watch that in a heart-beat.

Nah, it was part of a joke translation mocking the ridiculous practice of leaving nakama untranslated because it *~carries so many complex cultural and social nuances that are impossible to encompass in any one English word~*. Notable examples outside of that line also included "You are all... my precious bros" and "If not for you and your bros...!"

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced

AnonSpore posted:

Nah, it was part of a joke translation mocking the ridiculous practice of leaving nakama untranslated because it *~carries so many complex cultural and social nuances that are impossible to encompass in any one English word~*. Notable examples outside of that line also included "You are all... my precious bros" and "If not for you and your bros...!"

Well, if that were really true, then I would translate it in different ways based on the context. Like, use "comrades," "brothers," etc. where appropriate. Just leaving it untranslated isn't really helping anyone. It's not like we anglos don't understand the concept of fraternal bonds.

But it's way funnier with "bros," and therefore better.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
If you're going to use a largely unknown foreign word like Eotenas, you may as well just leave it at kyojin.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

So 'titans' being connected to the Norse variant of the mythology is very plausible and certainly implied by other things.

It's not even pulling out obscure stuff to show off. It's broadcasting that the guy who made the call is seemingly ignorant of his own ignorance. It betrays a flawed and incomplete understanding coupled with an overeagerness to reinterpret meaning. Hell, even jotnar would have been a better choice.

tl;dr: Eotenas (and its explanation) gets the language, the mythology, and implicit meaning wrong.

Like the chick with the name Ymir? Yeah.

I'm not going to join the debate over this other than that the use of the word Eotenas is just stupid. I say this as a person with no knowledge of japanese... anything, but someone with a lot of experience translating complex and technical sentences and meanings. If the original meaning is not immediately apparent to the recipient of your translation efforts, you have failed.
The use of the word Eotenas does not accomplish this and there's nothing you can say that will convince me that it does.

In other news, I usually hate anime but this thing is totally awesome and I love whoever it was who recommended it to me.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Edit: :rolleyes:

vvv

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Yeah, sorry, I'm pretty uptight about spoilers, and the anime hasn't named her yet, that's all.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 30, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Dumb

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 30, 2013

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Nope

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
Edit: That was silly...

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 30, 2013

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Herp

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zogundar posted:

Oh poo poo, I read that post, did he really, or is this a joke please be a joke
Some people are kind of uptight about the fact that Ymir hasn't been called by her name in the anime yet. That's all. It's a silly thing to get upset about.

I think the only reason we know Christa's name is that she was (barely) in the top 10 and got a mention in one of the eye-catches.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Yeah, sorry, I'm pretty uptight about spoilers, and the anime hasn't named her yet, that's all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
As far as using the name Titan goes, all I want to know is if any of the art in the manga ever evokes Goya's Saturn Devouring His Son. If it doesn't, that's a one hell of a missed opportunity. Especially since I think Goya's work has the appropriate amount of :wtc: for this series.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 30, 2013

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

A big flaming stink posted:

As far as using the name Titan goes, all I want to know is if any of the art in the manga ever evokes Goya's Saturn Devouring His Son. If it doesn't, that's a one hell of a missed opportunity. Especially since I think Goya's work has the appropriate amount of :wtc: for this series.

There is a page in the manga that's reminiscent of the painting. It's (kinda, sorta) spoiler free but obviously click it at your own risk.

Azzents fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 30, 2013

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Yeah, I was pretty sure there was a good reason for "Titan" I was forgetting, but yeah. That's it.

I've shown this anime to people who, after the first episode were, "Jesus, it's like that creepy Goya painting".

I would imagine that painting is a direct inspiration for the horrific depiction of the titans. It is indeed directly referenced in a manga panel at one point.

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced

Eiba posted:

Yeah, I was pretty sure there was a good reason for "Titan" I was forgetting, but yeah. That's it.

I've shown this anime to people who, after the first episode were, "Jesus, it's like that creepy Goya painting".

I would imagine that painting is a direct inspiration for the horrific depiction of the titans. It is indeed directly referenced in a manga panel at one point.

If it's the panel I'm thinking of, to say that's a direct reference is...arguable. It could easily be coincidence. The resemblance is not that strong.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yeah, it's just that the name jumped out to me, being familiar with norse mythology. Sorry if I wasn't supposed to know it yet? I'm pretty sure it was posted before?

It seems the creators of this series are doing the whole "pick cool-sounding names from various norse/germanic sources" thing without being too subtle about it. Jaeger meaning hunter (or for that matter, military special forces), for instance. Or Armin being named after the germanic general that later (arguably) became part of norse legend as Sigurd the dragonslayer. There are probably more.

I feel like I see this all the goddamned time. I suppose it's done to make some sort of a connection to the mythology the series is building on, but I would have liked it to be more subtle. But I doubt the names actually mean anything, unless Armin is actually going to slay a dragon somewhere? Mangapeople, feel free to spoil me: Are there dragons? Because that would suck.

Or maybe Armin is the real protagonist :monocle:

Edit: In case anyone is curious about Yme, Ym, Aurgelme, Aurgelmir, Fornjot, Blåin or Ymir (all the same thing), it's the name of the male progenitor of the mythological giants AND humanity AND the gods AND the dwarves (from the maggots on his corpse). Giants are born from his leg having sex with his other leg, and a man and a woman are birthed from his armpits. He's born from dripping poison, suckles on a cow's teats and is murdered by the gods (his grandchildren) who use his body to craft the earth.

I think they just liked the name and we can probably safely leave it at that. At the rate this show is going they are probably all gonna be dead in the next episode, other than that possibly genetically engineered freak monster Mikasa :v:.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 30, 2013

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

You got it, the world is actually a dragon, humans are the virus and the titans are white blood cells, Eren is a special bacteriophage virus that took control of that poor cell.

PD: It's not.

I'm really enjoying the anime series, in fact, I had read the first 4 volumes of the spanish edition of the manga before watching it but I will stop and follow the anime instead until it's finished before continuing, lots of things that were unclear in the manga (like the importance of the armored titan in the first chapter/episode) made more sense when watching the anime so I'll stick to it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Freaking knew it, it's ALL a metaphor, isn't it?

Is it better in your opinion to wait on reading the manga till the series is done? I'm not much of a manga fan, but if the storytelling is as ace as it has been in the anime, I'm awfully tempted.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Personally I plan to wait for the series to finish first. It's only 24 episodes, and it would be weird to start reading now and get the anime-original ending int he middle of it. Better to start anew with the manga once this series is done.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Freaking knew it, it's ALL a metaphor, isn't it?

Is it better in your opinion to wait on reading the manga till the series is done? I'm not much of a manga fan, but if the storytelling is as ace as it has been in the anime, I'm awfully tempted.

Wait until the anime is done, the manga is great but there are a bunch of cool things, specifically action-y moments that will be much better seen for the first time animated rather than as still-images.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Considering the biggest difference so far is to have the training arc before this Trost arc in the anime instead of after/during it like in the manga, the story telling is actually kind of better in the anime!

The anime is actually fleshing out a lot of iffy or implied things in the manga. Like the whole bit where they're refugees near the beginning- there was none of that in the manga. They got on the boat fleeing Shiganshina, and next chapter they were the top of their graduating class. The bit where a massive group of refugees were sent to go die against the Titans (including Armin's grandfather) was an obscure detail implied in only a couple lines of dialog.

Though on the other hand that scene with Pixis and the over-the-top noble was kind of from the same vein- not in the manga, but filling out the world. But in that case... I thought the noble was a bit much.

But really, the real reason to stick with the anime is that it looks so good. The backgrounds in the manga are... ambitious and interesting, but really kind of bad, while in the anime they're gorgeous. The Titan fights in the manga have a really good sense of motion, but the anime titans have really disturbing well done actual motion. (Same with the 3D maneuver gear, but replace "disturbing" with "awesome".) Like, that deviant titan that charged at the refugees? It's clearly implied in the manga how it moves, and that's creepy... but holy poo poo is actually seeing it move like that a dozen times creepier.

Also, as someone mentioned in the manga thread, you'd just be exchanging a weekly wait for the anime for a monthly wait for the manga. If you're impatient... it's probably best to avoid the manga as long as possible!

That said, when the anime ends... if you want to know what happens next you'll have to switch over. This anime's definitely not going to cover even all of the existing manga.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I don't get all this analyzing over whether or not you should read the manga now or later or at all. If you like reading manga, read it. Who cares if it's not quite as amazingly drawn by comparison.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tiistai posted:

I don't get all this analyzing over whether or not you should read the manga now or later or at all. If you like reading manga, read it. Who cares if it's not quite as amazingly drawn by comparison.
Well, yeah. Naturally. The manga's probably my favorite manga out there, and well worth a read. But if someone's on the fence, I'm going to gush about how nice an adaptation this anime is.

The guy explicitly asked for thoughts on switching to the manga at this point and I gave them.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Eiba posted:

The guy explicitly asked for thoughts on switching to the manga at this point and I gave them.

Don't take my previous post as criticism toward yourself or anything. It's just that the same topic seems to be popping up every now and then, so it feels kind of annoying, particularly because a) it's already been answered and b) to me the solution is pretty obvious anyway.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Or Armin being named after the germanic general that later (arguably) became part of norse legend as Sigurd the dragonslayer. [...]

But I doubt the names actually mean anything, unless Armin is actually going to slay a dragon somewhere? Mangapeople, feel free to spoil me: Are there dragons? Because that would suck.

Wasn't Armin the one who thought up the plan to retake the equipment room from the titans? He might not be a general, but he has a sound tactical mind.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 30, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

AnonSpore posted:

What series is this from? It sounds pretty funny.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's from One Piece, but those are just examples of what it would be like if nakama was replaced with bros. It wasn't actually translated that way.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Love the show. Was a little disappointing when END OF EPISODE 8 SPOILER Eren comes back from the dead. I was blown away when he got devoured. I thought "alright here's some real drama where the writer is not afraid to kill off main characters." So I started REALLY worrying about the main girl character, but now here Eren's back and he's ok. I guess it is fine since we will be learning more about the monsters through his experience.

I'm also reading the manga, but only up to the point in the show.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Man, Titan 5 was something else. Starts badly enough with the Colossus Titan right in Eren's face, and ends with Eren eaten, several more soldiers killed, society falling apart, and humanity retreating behind another wall. I'm surprised humanity has such bad luck against the Titans, given even a squad of several soldiers couldn't do what Mikasa did by herself in 6, but at this point she's nearly the main character.

It doesn't take Nostradamus to guess Eren will return, but I have a feeling things are about to get real ugly soon.

Everyone says Titan 7 is really good, so watching 7 and 8 next week will be quite the experience, I hope.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
Watched the first episode and got hooked after the end of it. Got hit with :smith:. Decided to give it a shot to see if Eren ever completes what he sets out to do.

I totally do not regret it. This poo poo is so awesome.

New episode tomorrow or so, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yes.

• Locked thread