Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I imagine Steam haters to be like Japanese holdouts, it's a trick I won't surrender to your malware. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Can someone tell me about Boshin-war period artillery? I'm curious as to whether those 4-inch mortars were as deadly in real life as they are in game. That mod which puts them in basically every fort defense is the bane of my existence in my current legendary game.

Although I think it's cool that their fuses don't go off if they land in the water. When I sacked Kyoto I managed to keep initial casualties low by putting all my troops in the moat surrounding the castle.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm a big fan of steam but I've been locked out of my account for over a month due to some bizarre issue while corresponding with steam support. So far the only 'solution' has been to dual boot vista, log onto my account and download any games. At least after doing that I can go into offline mode on my primary windows 7.

Steam can have issues. If this was my first experience I would say gently caress it, burn it to the ground and salt the earth.

(I think something is blocking steam from calling home but NFI what.)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

madmac posted:

Small Update from Jack Lusted about the new army system:

Limited number of armies and relying more on moving them around instead of garrison spam makes sense to me.

Total War Center has been hilarious lately. In the absence of anything to complain about, they've been flailing around and practically making things up to demonstrate how they're still cool and sticking it to the man. Arcade, man. Everything is arcade, probably.
I don't see how this is a problem anyway. I can barely fund 2 full stacks (even if i pad them then 80% light infantry) if I only have maybe 5 provinces in S2, so it's not really a big deal. I don't see how this really changes how I currently play most TW games now except there is now a limit on the number of armies I can have at one time which will probably not even be that strict of a limit. Someone please tell me I'm bad at TW games or something :ohdear:

The changes to how and when armies can move/recruit seem way more interesting anyway. When it says resource slots outside settlements, is he referring to the infrastructure spots where you can garrison a stack that isn't a city or something?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Some more campaign information I missed this morning:

quote:

Provinces and regions

For Rome II we wanted to make an epic scale campaign map, and as part of that we wanted to have more regions than any previous Total War game. Rome II has 183 land regions, the most of any Total War game and almost double the original. To accommodate this we have overhauled how regions work, and also introduced provinces.

A region is a single settlement and the area around it. You can construct buildings, raise armies, recruit agents and manage happiness and taxes for each one. The old resource buildings that existed outside of settlements in Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2 no longer exist, those resources are now part of settlements.

Provinces are groupings of between 2 and 4 regions. The regions in a province can be owned by individual factions, and can be taken as normal. If you own the whole province then you can pass edicts which provide various bonuses for the province. All the construction options for a province can be managed from a single screen and happiness is also on a province level for a faction. So if you own a province of 3 regions and it has unhappiness problems, the lowest happiness region will rebel but it will be based on the happiness of the province as a whole.

One settlement in each province is the province capital. This has more building slots and has a city siege map when assaulted. The other settlements are minor settlements, their core building reflecting the region speciality and providing bonuses based on that. When a minor settlement is attacked, a normal land battle takes place with the settlement off in the distance.

Both province capitals and minor settlements have garrisons that will defend them if they are attacked.

We’ve made the change that not all settlements provide siege battles due to the sheer number of regions, as we don’t want the game turning into a siege fest. Even in Shogun 2, with its geography that is very good at making battles happen away from settlements, the majority of battles were sieges. With the more open geography of Europe we wanted to make sure that players don’t end up fighting endless siege battles. We also want the siege battles you do fight to be bigger and better than ever before, so making them less frequent but more interesting helps make that happen.

More or less how I thought it would work, but clears up a few things. The only way I can see the "managing the province from the capital" thing working though is to have the minor regions very specialized with only a few build slots. Making army building a thing you do in the field and garrisons free/automatic would allow for some fairly streamlined regions in terms of options I suppose.

I can see these changes working out very well for the AI, too. It basically forces the AI to use a small number of full stacks instead of little disorganized raiding bands, and they can just program it to assemble a balanced army on the spot without worrying about all the overhead of understanding logistics and building a proper range of military buildings, ect. They could probably have it just randomly choose from a couple preset army selections, even.

madmac fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 30, 2013

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

madmac posted:

The old resource buildings that existed outside of settlements in Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2 no longer exist, those resources are now part of settlements.

What does this mean? Is that just the farms and mines and stuff?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Jabarto posted:

(and I hear Empire is pretty good)

ahh there you go now you've just gone and lost all credibility

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Sheizerbrick posted:

Instead of a region having a central city and separate raidable building sites, each region now has a single structure which defines what resource / bonus that region gives. One of the 2-4 regions that make up a province is a city: the province capital (and the only siege battle).

Or something to that effect.

:argh: Curse you and your well-reasoned arguments
VVV

Welmu fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 30, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sheizerbrick posted:

Yeah. The whole point of moving that stuff outside of the settlement was supposed to force fights that weren't sieges but in practice things just didn't work that way. It was also micromanagement hell, although Shogun 2 fixed that by having all construction in a province from the same tab and reducing out-of-settlement resources to one per province.

They look like they're moving towards a system where it just makes more sense to beat the enemy in the field and then snap up all the settlements, rather than march around him, storm an undefended castle, then watch the AI dash itself to pieces trying to attack the now-undefended castle.

It's been a problem since Rome. If Castles/Towns are what the player is fighting for, how do you make it so that they aren't the only things he ever fights on?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SheepNameKiller posted:

Any game that can overwhelm people into quitting at the first campaign screen is cool in my book.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Had to end my long Rome game a little while ago after the AI started doing this:

I've seen what Total War: World War 1 is like and it is not pretty.

Real happy to see them limiting army numbers just for that alone, but on the other hand it's just going to make it harder to go back to these older TW games.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Man, when a RTW game gets to that point, I really really stop giving a poo poo. You start getting awful traits for your generals when your treasury hits 50k, so you basically have to churn out an endless train of military units to purposefully reduce profits. God forbid you conquer a single province, the trade income alone is another five legions you need to recruit.

Unmodded RTW is still pretty fun though, especially since you can play like a total jackass and come out on top. I really liked spamming 20 cavalry unit armies and bowling over all the Romans. As the Greeks, you could hoard up Spartan hoplites, deploy them in a circle, and be completely invulnerable to any attack. The Parthians were always good because all their units wore neon pink, and your battles would look like a bomb rear end rave.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Is there a retard-proof guide to Shogun 2? Or a way to watch good players' replays? I suck at internet samurais.

Thanks.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Shumagorath posted:

Any game that can overwhelm people into quitting at the first campaign screen is cool in my book.

I would have laughed at this except I picked up Crusaders Kings 2 a couple of days ago and now this is literally happening to me. Makes Empire look like Candy Land.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

SheepNameKiller posted:

It might have been Napoleon, more specifically. And like I said, I haven't paid much attention to the series post-Medieval 2.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

It might have been Napoleon, more specifically. And like I said, I haven't paid much attention to the series post-Medieval 2.

Since you haven't played them, if you ever plan on getting them just grab Napoleon. Empire has a lot of cool ideas that aren't implemented well at all, and the grand campaign still has a lot of problems. Plus it has the worst sieges in the series, next to the slaughterfests from the original Shogun. Napoleon actually works, for one, and while it lacks :911: it has the reinforcement system that they used in Shogun, and once you get used to that it's hard to go back.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Don Gato posted:

it has the reinforcement system that they used in Shogun, and once you get used to that it's hard to go back.

Tell me about it. I keep trying to start a Stainless Steel campaign and just the thought of having to micromanage my reinforcements to replace losses kills any desire to play for very long.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sharkopath posted:

Had to end my long Rome game a little while ago after the AI started doing this:

I've seen what Total War: World War 1 is like and it is not pretty.

Real happy to see them limiting army numbers just for that alone, but on the other hand it's just going to make it harder to go back to these older TW games.

Post your save game please.

Edit: Roman Vs Roman were the most fun battles I had in R:TW.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

This looks pretty much like what I want, thanks!

Did you end up trying anything out? Seeing that vanilla Rome screenshot just made me twitch and hope you did not end up in that mess.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

MadJackMcJack posted:

Tell me about it. I keep trying to start a Stainless Steel campaign and just the thought of having to micromanage my reinforcements to replace losses kills any desire to play for very long.

It's "natural" regeneration of units like you see in E:TW and N:TW. It's nice in that it makes it so you can replenish troops in towns that don't have those troops avaliable but it makes it so you have to wait 2-3 turns at a min to get back to full strength as opposed to 1.

Question though:
Keep playing Fall of Samurai campaign, anyone annoyed at how OP cannons are? I've routed entire armies with nothing more than a couple Armstrong Guns and line infantry for cover (they have kneel and shoot though).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
CA should just package that artillery mod into the game or pay me for constantly bringing it up.

Get the Artillery mod. Seriously.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They could quite literally just put the reinforcement system into medieval two, change nothing else and I would pay good money for it.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

SeanBeansShako posted:

CA should just package that artillery mod into the game or pay me for constantly bringing it up.

Get the Artillery mod. Seriously.

Which mod are you referring to? It's like they read every complaint about artillery from Medieval 2 to Napoleon and decided to say gently caress it and just made them super accurate to stop people from complaining.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Which mod are you referring to? It's like they read every complaint about artillery from Medieval 2 to Napoleon and decided to say gently caress it and just made them super accurate to stop people from complaining.

Well to be fair, the Western artillery pieces are suppose to be deadly accurate modern pieces.

I'll stop being snarky though and post the essential Fall Of The Samurai Mod List I made a few months ago, The STEAM Workshop edition.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fall Of The Samurai Mods: STEAM WORKSHOP ADDITION!

Time again for a brief round up of Mods that'll make playing FOTS a little bit better. Before we begin I'd just like to drop this little sound fix for sound issues when installing mods that add new units to the game.

Simply download Sinfonia Semplice and unpack it in your Shogun 2 data folder after adding the new units to the game.

I'm going to be brief with what these mods do, since you'll be clicking the Workshop Links for a closer look anyways.

Expanded Campaign Time Limit

Extends the time limit given by the campaigns with the following. Works on all Shogun 2 DLC.

+60 years for Shogun 2 campaign
+22 years for FoTS campaign
+60 years for Rots campaign

FOTS Defences Rebalance

Tweaks and cheapens both the cost and research rate for fortress defences for both you and the AI factions.

Occupation Resistance

AI factions don't get any negative penalties for rolling into enemy factions and don't need to garrison them. This adds this to them and forces them to hold their new holdings for some time ending the blitzkrieg expansion of some factions in a handful of turns. Works for Shogun 2, Rise and Fall.

Bayonet Mod

Adds bayonets to most line infantry in Fall using tweaked Yari animations. Looks pretty decent actually.

FOTS Random AI Personality Mod

A personal favourite that truly randomises the faction AI of Fall. Some factions will now switch sides or try for a Republic and invade other factions instead of doing the same stuff over and over again.

Fall Of The Samurai Artillery Mod

Expands Artillery selection heavily with Napoleonic and Victorian smoothbores and howitzers, rockets and Mortars for defence. Even has horse propelled light artillery and the AI uses it all.

If you want something more historically accurate with uniforms and banners too, TWC has that. But for now this is all you need for Fall.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Unexpected posted:

Is there a retard-proof guide to Shogun 2? Or a way to watch good players' replays? I suck at internet samurais.

Thanks.

Play Rise of the Samurai and follow shalcar's LP. He's got in-depth economic analysis if that's troubling you and commentates all the major battles so you can follow tactics if that's your issue (also included: 1v1 tournament featuring some skilled players). Many lessons can be applied to vanilla as well.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I think I missed the boat on it, but does anybody still have a coupon for Shogun 2, like the ones people were posting about earlier in the month? I bought Rome but it's just not doing it for me, and I wanna get SHogun 2 ASAP. I dunno if those coupons expired though already, maybe.

Unexpected posted:

Thanks.
I got really, really good at Shogun 1 by reading The Art of War about 6 times, and marking the passages which I could identify as actually relating to the units' combat math (a LOT of them). The rest was just learning the controls enough to be proficient with them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tommofork posted:

Post your save game please.

Edit: Roman Vs Roman were the most fun battles I had in R:TW.

I totally would if it was possible, but I lost that save when my hard drive failed.

It wasn't the fighting that I didn't like, since I would win every single battle in that game, but oh jeez every turn would turn out to be four or five battles all over the map and I'd wipe out a few stacks and think I could start pushing into his territory and then next turn beep boop five more stacks to fight. :goleft:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Play Rise of the Samurai and follow shalcar's LP. He's got in-depth economic analysis if that's troubling you and commentates all the major battles so you can follow tactics if that's your issue (also included: 1v1 tournament featuring some skilled players). Many lessons can be applied to vanilla as well.
Strangely enough even after playing England like five thousand goddamn times in M2 the right way (fuckload of archers) I never really bothered with loading up more than 4 units of archers until reading that LP and being told the Gempei war involved a fuckton of ranged duels (and if it isn't true well, 1) gently caress you because I am supposed to be a history major and check anyway and 2) it works great!) it drastically improved how I played ROTS, at least. Especially reading the posts and nearly every turn being pretty involved versus my, "oh, ... I guess, end turn?" style of campaign layer.

On that same tangent, is ROTS still mostly a levy-heavy game even by the end? I felt like by the time you you reliably pump out 2/3 samurai armies you could do very decent but attendents to levy don't really feel to me like a real drastic change between ashigaru to samurai as I did in vanilla other than 'being not light infantry'.

The Sengoku Jidai campaign still feels a bit tough to figure out even after playing a campaign (poorly) to the end. In fact, not entire sure how warfare in Japan was conduct and I guess this is really the first game where I have to read unit descriptions to know what to do versus having a decent grasp of what you use in Rome/Medieval and Empire/Napoleon even if it is almost the same form of formation style combat.

coyo7e posted:

So I think I missed the boat on it, but does anybody still have a coupon for Shogun 2, like the ones people were posting about earlier in the month? I bought Rome but it's just not doing it for me, and I wanna get SHogun 2 ASAP. I dunno if those coupons expired though already, maybe.
Check the Amazon sales thread, I believe Shogun 2 and friends are on sale right now?

Vanilla and all DLC
Fall and all its DLC

You can also just opt for the base game of each and wait for the Steam summer sale to pick up any DLC (which probably will be a bit more expensive over time).

Sober fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 1, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sober posted:

Check the Amazon sales thread, I believe Shogun 2 and friends are on sale right now?

Vanilla and all DLC
Fall and all its DLC

You can also just opt for the base game of each and wait for the Steam summer sale to pick up any DLC (which probably will be a bit more expensive over time).
You rule, thanks! :glomp:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I've got a couple of graphical issues in the Shogun 2 campaign map that just appeared out of nowhere- the trees don't render unless I'm zoomed way in, and I can't see where the safe water is. I've tried fiddling with my settings a bunch and verifying the game files but it hasn't worked at all; does anybody know how I can fix it? I am using a few mods, but they're all minor things and the game was working fine with them all on previously.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
A little bit of news. This comes secondhand from a German magazine, so grain of salt.

quote:

Functions of the agents I have said already above ( only for the babarian ones as the agents of other cultures are not mentioned in the article).

For the persons who didn't play FotS like me the foreign Veterans could go with armies to strengthen them or stay in cities to give recruits an experience bonus. Also mentioned is that they maybe can take out other agents ( but not confirmed by CA).

Advantages of the faction:

Suebi: They have the Berserks, once in close quarter fights they will fight till they die (high morale).

Iceni: They get satisfaction for their citizens with every war declaration, seems like they get a reward on raids and iron using.

Averni: They gain a higher income from handicraft goods and advantages on gold processing, also seems that they have a strong cavallry.

Carthage: Strong sea and trading nation with a satisfied population, seem to have a democracy, they have 3 political parties to choose from.

Macedon: High income and growth, advantages in handling with other greek factions, their neighbours mistrust them so it is difficult for them to form alliances.

Egypt: Strong combined forces, population mistrusts the greek upper class.

Parthia: Silk road, very tolerant so they have less risc of having revolts, no slavery --> less income.

Pontos: Spy network along the coast, good relationships to the other greek factions.

Sparta: Strong warriors, good public order, less advantages from ressources cause of their military drill.

Athen: Strong fleet but a weak army on the land, seems like they are at the beginning a vassal of macedon.

Epirus: Agricultural state, can recruit the best generals and admirals, suffers from the hate of the other greek factions.

Maybe they change some of this stuff but seems that this is confirmed

quote:

- Roman families to choose from : Julii, Corneli, Junii
- Carthage has also 3 "factions" to choose from
- Aim of the babarian tribes is to unite the babarian factions
- Babarians seem to have a kind of council which consists of your tribe and also the others
- Other factions tell you the reasons why they can't accept X in diplomacy ( example in the article: you ask for help attacking X, ally X refuses your request "cause his troops are needed at his borders" cause he is at war with another faction)
- Each culture has 3 types of agents
- Jesus appears in the game as an event but he has no influence on the game
- The recruitment system should differentiate from faction to faction
- You can move your troops without ships over the water, you just move them on the water, they stay one turn and build on their own unarmed transport ships (well that doesn't mean that you don't need fleets for escort)
- You can't capture enemy ships and use them in your own fleet
- You have different missions in the battles (for example in bridge battles you have to conquer a point on the other side of the bridge)
- In siege battles houses also count for LoS, so behind every corner could be enemy troops
- You can aim with units like catapults on your own

A lot of old info, but there's some interesting bits. The faction advantages sound pretty fun.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That at least seems to imply they are going for a more accurate Egypt. Either that or the weirdest disconnect ever.

Battle objectives aren't exactly something I like though.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Battle objectives could be pretty cool. As much as I enjoy the combat in Total War games, something more than "kill all of the dudes" would be nice.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I like the idea of battlefield specific objectives, and I'm interested too see how the "different factions have different recruitment methods" thing plays out. It all sounds pretty good except...

quote:

- You can aim with units like catapults on your own

I really wish they would drop this stupid bullshit.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I really wish they would drop this stupid bullshit.

Come on it's fun.*

*I never used the free aim feature in FotS

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Come on it's fun.*

*I never used the free aim feature in FotS

It's pretty inconsistent. Keeping the gun on the same elevation and shooting 5 times will give you 5 different results. But it would allow you to "cheat" and shoot outside maximum range, or aim for generals.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I sure as hell hope that they fix so it can't shoot out of maximum range this time since that was awful in FOTS, I dunno about just letting your troops build transport ships as well since that seems like something that the AI would forget to get proper escorts for.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bolow posted:

Battle objectives could be pretty cool. As much as I enjoy the combat in Total War games, something more than "kill all of the dudes" would be nice.
My favourite victory in my Shogun 2 campaign was using Hattori kisho ninja to scale up the back of a max-level fortress and capture the main point before the enemy could react. Cheap as hell but hilarious (especially when the garrison flees out the front door into the waiting sea of yari).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I think battlefield objectives are an addition long overdue. Especially for multiplayer, it was pretty lame to have these great maps and just have people set up shop in a corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Beans posted:

I think battlefield objectives are an addition long overdue. Especially for multiplayer, it was pretty lame to have these great maps and just have people set up shop in a corner.

This was fixed a while ago in Shogun 2. All maps have dojos now (instead of only some of them), and if you control all the dojos for 10 minutes you auto-win. If you just collect the dojos then a camper will have to contest at least one of them, and the skirmishing almost always results in a full scale engagement because their only alternative is to throw units away one a time contesting points.

EDIT: Since it got me thinking about it, I'm going to share a classic tale of camper ownage. This is from a match shortly after release (so capping dojo's didn't cause victory, you had to kill the camper) on the infamous Okobe Gorge. My troops are in green and his are in red. I'll type out the chat in case it's hard to read.

Camper: cant use those fire rockets all the way over there can you
Me: nope
Camper: let me know when you decide to come over here

As you can see we're off to a great start! Despite bringing mangonels and camping across a river my opponent is offended by my use of Fire Rockets. I start maneuvering into position for my offensive (he doesn't move).

Me: nice shot

He takes a blind shot with his mangonels into a patch of forest that none of my guys are even close to and I taunt him for it. In the meantime I've captured all the dojos. He continues to sit motionless on the hill.

Using some Yari Ashigaru as throw away scouts my Fire Rockets take as many shots of opportunity as they can. He tries to get at them with some cavalry but it warded away by more of my yaris who are staunchly defending the Fire Rockets. However, a careless rocket discharge ignites the archery dojo and it burns down. Eventually my Fire Rockets get close enough to bombard the cavalry still stationed with his army near the top of the hill.

It does not go well for him. He takes heavy losses before trying to go for broke by charging the Fire Rockets with his remaining Yari Cav. It doesn't work and all of his cavalry are killed or routed. I then (leisurely) maneuver my main army across the river to deliver the killing blow.

Me + Camper (part of the log wasn't captured in screen shots, probably some argument about camping)
Me: what's with the catapults then?
Camper: yeah cuz your ranked higher and have better stuff
Camper: cuz i dont play this game all day. I have a life
Me: that's nice
Me: well it looks like you got owned
Me: that's what happens when you camp
Camper: congradulations you no life cheatin bastard

A resounding victory! Remember kids, friends don't let friends camp.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 2, 2013