Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apple Syrup
Jan 21, 2012

Every story is merely a matter of perspective.

One event seems like something to one person while it is seen as something different by another.
If I remember right 'Sessha' is more of a Feudal Japan pronoun. A common translation equivalent for characters who speak with this dialect would be using something like 'Old English' like 'art thou' or something like that instead of just the pronoun as is. I think.

Do correct me if I'm wrong though. :v:

In this case however... might be best to not go with it, but whatever you are more comfortable with typing. It's rather... out of place, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Oh man, another Tin Tim LP! The thread title's saying something 'bout anime and romancing but it's probably just another obscure squad-based tactics ga-

:magical: what the gently caress am I reading

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

PureRok posted:

You should wait until it really wears out it's welcome before switching.
:regd08:

M.Ciaster posted:

Oh man, another Tin Tim LP! The thread title's saying something 'bout anime and romancing but it's probably just another obscure squad-based tactics ga-

:magical: what the gently caress am I reading
:)

Tbh, I have another obscure squad-based tactics game LP mostly pre produced, and plan to launch it near the end of this year. It's not too hard to manage two threads, if the content for one of them is already edited and just sits on your disc. But for now, we'll ride the Anime express with full speed!

Also, update imminent. Just have to check my own lines.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wow, this game's dialogue is awful. The anime doesn't bother me but the dialogue... ugh, a spellchecker and some common sense would make this so much better.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Army of One

Having arrived on the Western Continent, we're not getting much of a choice where to go next.

Dual West Town is not as boring as all the other towns have been, but let's still focus on the interesting parts.

:allears:

But there is actually nothing special inside. :eng99:

There is a Love Counter here and that's it. Pretty much a missed opportunity. Also, I'm sorry but I forgot to cap Hayami's initial thoughts. Cause I also forgot how quickly you rack up points with her and overshot it.

There is also another interesting house here.

This girl is wrapped up in her homework, but if you check the shelf behind her...

You get a free skill for Ryle! It's a group attack and actually does a decent amount of damage.

I honestly don't know if this is a real place. Tell/PM me if you know! :)

Also can you spot the orb in that picture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0h5Cnn2gAw
It would be kinda funny if the rocks were actually made out of condoms.. :thejoke:

The shop is run by a pair of anime twins with an annoying music and dialog bit. I'll spare you this time, since it's really lame. While I buy some armor for Hayami, I also discover that I have a second rock cutter in my inventory.

For some reason it's also better than the other one? No idea why, but this happens every time. Of course, Hayami uses the better one.

With that out of the way, let's progress!

"Really? Are you serious!?"

"According to my source, some WACKO just became the new High Chancellor."

"Any other news about the capital?"

"I have been sent down here for some time, no more updates though.."

Then he fucks off..

"Ryle Dono... You should pull yourself away from the capital."

"How come?"

"Sessha can't tell you everything but White Shinobi army is guarding the Factoria Castle at this moment. And so far, Ryle Dono hasn't been content with the capital's recent policies. Sessha know Ryle Dono will soon charge into the castle to contest your complaints...Then you'll lose your life by the hands of the White Shinobi!"

"!! But you're on their side! I heard the traitors get punished severely for leaking information."

"Sessha can't just seat around and do nothing...from now on sessha am out of White Shinobi!"

"W-What!?"

"To tell the truth, all White Shinobi except sessha, are being brainwashed and being controlled."

Now we're getting somewhere...

"To be able to hypnotize the White Shinobi of iron will...Who can it be?"

"Sessha can't tell you that. They will put Ryle Dono on their black list."

:ohdear:

A choice pops up here, and it should be obvious that the first line is right.

"We can't just ignore them! They're still your friends."

"I'll give you a hand. Let's go to the capital together!"

"No you must not! Single Shinobi alone can handle 50 regular soldiers. Did you know that?"

This is a legit plot point. The other Ninjas in Hayami's clan are just so powerful, that normal people can't handle them.

"(Not only that, you are...)"

Also :tinfoil:

"Don't you want to free your friends!?"

"!! Of course, Sessha want to."

"Then stop but this, and but that! I won't let them go on like this!!"

"Ryle Dono..."

"Alrighty then, let's go! To the capital, Factoria Castle."

"(Just as I thought...this man must be the...)"

What?! The man of your dreams? The real Jesus? WHAT ARE YOU HIDING? :argh:

Att 14 >>> 17

As said, you kinda race through the attraction ladder with Hayami, and it's not over.

Well, we now have our next objective, but how do we get there?

Ah, of course! The only other place on the map. :downs:

With Hayami's X-ray skill, you can also find a hidden stash of Jello right before the forest. I forgot to grab them while recording this update, but did it off-screen.

There are also a few new enemies around, but I only encountered one while recording.

Yeah! 420 bro! :okpos:

Trolls are generic melee guys. Though, they have a buff that raises all their stats and heals them. Also, this buff makes them quite agile and raises their dodge chance by a good amount. More annoying than dangerous.

When you approach the forest, a scene starts...

"...Rain?"

"Huh? Ryle Dono-! Watch out!!"

Hayami pushes Ryle out of the way...

"Who's there?!"

*POOOF*

Oh no, it's one of those guys than can fight 50 normal people! :ohdear:

"It's a White Shinobi!"

"Sessha won't allow a traitor like you to live! Kakugo!!" (Ready to die!!)

Why are you impressed? He didn't really do anything yet.

"Ryle Dono! Let sessha take care of him! Run away!!"

"Too late! He knows my face now. We better capture him alive!!"

"It's impossible to capture a Shinobi by ordinary men!!"

"Wait! Look at that! What's that thing on his shoulder?"

"That's? Sessha senses evil energy from it."

I smell a MacGuffin...

You can see the thing on his shoulder, and it's a legit part of the coming plot. :butt:

"That thing on his shoulder might be the cause of brain-washing!!"

"Stop chattering!"

CLINK-CLANK That's my impression of sword noises, jfyi

"Ryle Dono!!"

"Tsk! No time for lecture! Anyway, concentrate your attack on the thing on ninja's shoulder!"

Well, it should be clear what we have to do here. Instead of attacking the Ninja, you have to target the thing on his shoulder which is called "Monster Cell". Hayami also can't really use her skills as they all are group attacks. If you kill the Ninja, you'll get a game-over message which says that Ryle and Hayami got captured by the Royal army for killing a Ninja. Seriously, just like that. :(

The fight itself is more tedious than hard. Don't get me wrong, the Ninja puts out a steady stream of damage, but you can keep it in check with potions. The cell has a lot of HP, good defense and will constantly block, making it even more resilient. It's pretty boring to just hack away at it, always wishing for the fight to finally be over.

Have Hayami's attack animation.

It goes by quite fast.

Since other posters already pointed out that the animations are a bit weird, let's look a still from Hayami.

Her animation is pretty smooth, but look at them big ol titties. :allears:

Let's skip to the point where I killed that loving tank cell.

"Look! That weird thing fell off!!"

"Thank goodness! You've been controlled by that "Cell", now you're fine!"

"Sessha was brainwashed? That's why...Sorry! You guys saved sessha's life!"

"You should thank this gentleman, he was the one who noticed the "Cell" controlling you."

Where are your magic eyes now, hmm?!

"Although sessha was under it's influence, it's still sessha's fault trying to harm both of you! Don't know how sessha shall repay the debt!!"

"Don't worry about it. It's ok. But I would like to ask you some questions if you don't mind."

Ask him how much money he has on him, and then take it! Seriously, I want some quest rewards. :colbert:

"Sessha am Gohu."

"First, tell me the current situation of Factoria Castle."

Ryle learned about the capital from Gohu.

I have no idea why Flare decided to include these lines on a black screen. The characters are still going to explain everything anyway. Might as well do it first hand?

"Now the capital is controlled not by the king, but by the Prince Dyss and the High Chancellor Xaktor."

Haha, Xaktor? Really? That sounds like a villain I would have come up with in middle school.

"Correct. Sessha don't know how they got into the throne, but they are current rulers of Factoria."

"So the crown prince overthrew his own father by the lust for power...Is that it?"

"No. In sessha's opinion, Prince Dyss is just a puppet manipulated by Xaktor, the High Chancellor."

"You mean the Monster Cell belongs to that Xaktor guy, and not the prince?"

"His Highness always had the trust among all people of Factoria, for his good leadership. Xaktor must be behind all this!"

"I can't draw the conclusion with the information I just got. I must go to Factoria Castle."

"Sessha will use other route and gather more clues, focus on rescuing comrades. Hayami, what about you?"

"Sessha want to follow Ryle Dono."

"Understood, then see you later!!"

Then Gohu poofs away, but he's our pal now!

"Since sessha already received your boat, it's sessha's turn to return the favor. And so..."

"Hmm...ninja's way of life, I guess? I'll count on you again from now on, Hayami!"

"Thank you for the permission."

The whole event spits out three VPs and more attraction. Att 17 >>> 20

Now I also realize that I forgot to check Hayami's feelings and hurry back to the Love Counter.

I have no idea when we saved her, but that respect part is very true. Hayami talks very formal towards Ryle. Maybe it is connected to the secret thing she seems to know about? :tinfoil:

Well, no we're free to enter the forest.

It's not immediately obvious, but the little statue here has some important info on it.

There are strange marks carved on the stone lamp. Looks like some kind of code...

"...*looking at marks* Ryle Dono, looks like they have set booby traps in this area. Use sessha's X-ray Vision while you're traveling."

So here we really get introduced to traps. The way through the forest is littered with them, and most of them cause poison. Since they are mechanical, Hayami can block them if you happen to trigger one.

"!!"

"There!!"

Here is the thing, I'm fairly sure that she won't always succeed. I didn't had the patience to test it, but I remember it that way. Also, later there will be magic traps that Hayami can't do anything about. But another character will be able to deal with them.

I just spam her X-ray eyes on the way...

The red marks are traps, and the blue mark is a chest. Since it's blue, I know that it isn't trapped. It holds 10 antidotes, just in the event that you're really terrible at games?

The path isn't very long, but this winding section is a bit devious. Some of the traps are hidden out of sight. There is a walk-able line of one tile size under the forest edge, and you can't see the markers there.

There are also new enemies in here.

These are just melee guys without any special skill. There is another type of enemy in here, but I didn't encounter it this time.

Eventually, I come to the end of the path.

Random save points are the RPG way of saying "Danger ahead".

Also, the blue mark is a hidden item.

This goes on Ryle.

At the end of this fork are also some hidden Full Potions. But I accidentally picked them up before using X-ray vision. :)

Well, let's follow the path out of the forest..

"Huh!? An AMBUSH!?"

Who could've guessed!?

"This is!!"

"I am the one that desires blood. You are just perfect! I'll enjoy you a lot~"

"Tsk! A tough enemy!!"

Yoshi! (Alright!) oh god it's infecting my brain

Make no mistake. Even if Hayami just pointed out what attacks you should use, this is a pretty tough fight! The Ramia is quite beefy, has a melee attack that sometimes hits twice, can reduce your offense and has a darkness wave that hits everybody. She can gently caress you over really quick if you're not careful, especially since Hayami has neither high Hp nor defense. Also she has a second phase. :ohdear:

Well, the first part of the fight is pretty much just spamming my strongest moves and healing constantly.

Things could look better.

Then the Ramia ups the ante...
"Not bad! This is getting interesting...Killing you with full power would be more fun!!"

Ramia called upon its shadows!!

She straight up summons two clones. Thanks! :argh:

And those aren't images. They are real clones, with the same attacks and at full health. You're pretty much hosed if all three decide to spam the darkness wave at once. And even if they stick to debuffing you or using the melee attack, the frequency of damage is really high at this point.

Yeah, I honestly struggle to survive. :gibs:

The only real way to deal with this, is to have Ryle feed Hayami with Jello so that she can spam her skills. And to have him toss out potions in between. Hayami really needs to keep spamming or you're screwed.

Eventually...

I win! :toot:

And get thrown back into the world, without any reactions whatsoever. Cool!

Well, the capital is ahead of us.

But I think we deal with that next time.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 2, 2013

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh god, another one that doesn't understand the English language. "Sessha am Gohu' and 'Where am Sessha?" probably count as the stupidest lines in this game so far.

And is 'Ramia' supposed to be 'Lamia'? She's not very snake-like, but I don't think Ramia is a real word...

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Hellioning posted:

And is 'Ramia' supposed to be 'Lamia'? She's not very snake-like, but I don't think Ramia is a real word...
Yeah, I also think so. It's actually the first somewhat clever reference as the forest is called "Lilith Woods" and therefore references a female demon/goddess that has deep roots in several different mythologies. :engleft:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The author could have at least mentioned that children disappeared in the forest, seeing as Lamia was a child-eating monster. That would have been pretty cool.
And what is up with her arms? Her right seems to be segmented and her left seems to have extra fingers.

Apple Syrup
Jan 21, 2012

One event seems like something to one person while it is seen as something different by another.
I'm kind of wondering if those are roots or something coming out of her skirt. A shadow maybe?

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Just gonna let you know, the Slime Isle is a real thing. You may have encountered Slime Queen before, and that's the Slime Island. I'm going off of memory here so I'm not 100% of all the encounters, but I'm sure there's a Slime Queen there.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

And what is up with her arms? Her right seems to be segmented and her left seems to have extra fingers.

Apple Syrup posted:

I'm kind of wondering if those are roots or something coming out of her skirt. A shadow maybe?
I think both of these observations can be traced back to a badly drawn sprite :v:

thenightsshadow posted:

Just gonna let you know, the Slime Isle is a real thing. You may have encountered Slime Queen before, and that's the Slime Island. I'm going off of memory here so I'm not 100% of all the encounters, but I'm sure there's a Slime Queen there.
Thanks for letting me know! I assume it's later in the game though, when the world is more open and we have better means of travel. I'll keep it in the back of my head and will have a look around.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Welcome to the :science: corner!

Slime Island is indeed real, and so is the Slime Queen. It's located straight east of the Delstar Residence

Traps are random. The ones in the forest roll a number from 0-6 and will be blocked on a 2 or higher. Don't know if the difficulty will change later, but I didn't feel like hunting down another map with traps on it and finding out.

The second sword is added right before the scene where she cuts the rocks. I'm pretty sure it was just supposed to equip the sword you just got, but it points to a completely different entry instead. poo poo happens! Though I'm not sure why it hasn't been fixed by now.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
There are two stories I've heard. I'm not sure which one is correct:

1) The Iwa Kiri Maru is supposed to be weakened after cutting the rocks.

2) The weakened Iwa Kiri Maru was a previous version of the sword, and the coding at that point wasn't updated.

Both don't explain why you can pick up multiples of the Iwa Kiri Maru before cutting the rocks (I forget if you can do that afterward).

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

vilkacis posted:

The second sword is added right before the scene where she cuts the rocks. I'm pretty sure it was just supposed to equip the sword you just got, but it points to a completely different entry instead. poo poo happens! Though I'm not sure why it hasn't been fixed by now.

The bug was actually added somewhere between the version I have and this version, the original version just equips the sword and carries on normally (it doesn't get any weaker, you can't pick it up more than once either).

Also:

The Japanese word here can just as easily mean 'save' as 'help', though he obviously had the context to make the right choice.

And there's a small S-shaped cave between the forest exit and getting back outdoors, the Lamia is at the end of the cave. There's nothing special about it so I'm fine with it being cut, unless lamias are supposed to thematically live in caves or something.

thenightsshadow posted:

Both don't explain why you can pick up multiples of the Iwa Kiri Maru before cutting the rocks (I forget if you can do that afterward).

Seems like you can pick it up as long as you don't already have the weaker version, which is the way the original code would have worked because the weaker version was the only one that existed.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 3, 2013

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I can't believe the translator was so invested in the Sessha thing that he decided to make Sesshaers alternate between the first and third person when talking about themselves. Also, I'm eternally grateful that he remembered to explain that a katana is a japanese sword using parentheses.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Talkageddon

After clearing the forest, Factoria Castle is straight ahead of us.

Let's see what all the fuss with the Ninjas is about.

Curse their mastery of rain and wetness!

"Ryle Dono! Let's retreat for now!!"

"Why now!?"

"This rain is the alert to other White Shinobis in the castle! The reinforcement will be here soon!"

"...drat it!!"

"Ryle Dono! Hurry up!!"

"After layers of walls, there are countless guards and Shinobis...Basically it's impenetrable."

"Any ideas? Is there a way to get around all these guards..."

Haha, I bet there is!

"!? Something's approaching us!!"

"I finally found you..."

:ohdear:

"That voice sounds familiar...!"

Ah, no worries! It's just ghost Latyss...Wait, "ghost" Latyss?? :aaa:

"!! Latyss"

"It's been a while."

"What happened to you? Your appearance...?"

And here we learn that the forest was a time anomaly, and that Ryle has been away for a thousand years...

"I made contact with the Elementals. After transforming into this body, I can fly and find you easily."

I liked my idea more. :colbert:

"I...I see. By the way, what made you to come here?"

"The royal army attacked Lavas."

Say what!?

"W-What did you say!?"

"Everyone's fine...Thanks to Brad's leadership, we managed to fight back..somehow."

drat, that doesn't sound good. Could this be another consequence of Ryle's heroism?

"But why the capital would attack us?"

"They accused us of challenging the royal authority by solving the case at Southern Cray by ourselves..."

"What? That's nonsense!!"

"We can talk more about it later...First let's go back to Lavas..."

"...I got it! Oh, Hayami, let me introduce her. She's Latyss, from my village."

"Sessha am White Class Kuno Ichi. Name is Hayami Raienji."

"Latyss Grynwind. Nice to meet you."

"Ok, let's go back to Lavas!"

Latyss joins us in her new form, but she's no different from before. I take the trip back as an opportunity to encounter the rest of the enemies around.

These can be encountered in the forest and are kind of dicks. They have a large amount of Hp and can paralyze your members. The status effect also seems to last for quite a while.

Oaks are encountered on the overworld. They have nothing special to them, aside from being able to buff their attack for the next round.

When you reach the village, Latyss leaves to change her form and you get roped into the next scene...

"....."

"Please don't be too hard on Ryle Dono...Sessha am also being responsable."

"I am ok, Hayami. But Shisho, something bad is going on in this kingdom. How come solving the incident made the capital so hostile towards us?"

"I don't have a clue...We captured one of the soldiers during the fight, but he didn't know any....He said that the incident down at Southern Cray was part of their experiment and we just happened to ruin it for good."

"They can't be doing this! It took so many lives! And they call it an "experiment"? They have gone too FAR this time!!"

"This is bad...We gonna fight against the whole army which we don't stand a chance."

"Will they attack us again?"

"We already ruined the experiment which seemed to be very important to the royal family. So I guess..."

Everyone makes a big fuss, but let's look at the facts here. The Royal army failed to capture a tiny village that was defended by three young girls and one fighter dude. Doesn't sound too serious to me!

"If things get worse, we might have to face the White Shinobis."

Okay, I forgot about those. :ohdear:

"Shisho...why don't we leave here temporarely?"

"Leaving HERE?!"

"Where can we hide?"

"Lailai and Southern Cray are very unlikely the best place to hide. Do you have a plan?"

"Sessha got an idea...There's a town called Volcana west from here and it's on an isolated island so it's hard to reach."

"I agree with her. The island is located in the inner sea surrounded by mountains. It's the best place for hide out."

"Sessha have a private hiding place there, so it'll be much safer than any other places."

How convenient! Let me tell you something here: this game follows the school of bad game design.

In a nutshell, this means that the story will throw obstacles at the player that it will then solve without any input or help from said player. Which makes those obstacles entirely meaningless to begin with. And there are example in the future that are so much more worse than this one! To put this into perspective, did you play imaginary battles with your friends when you were small? Then I'm sure you had that one friend who always had a super laser armor that could block all your shots, and then would upgrade it to super-duper laser armor when you came up with a better weapon. Yeah, a lot of times the game will work like this. The only difference is that it's usually in favor of the player.

"We have no other choices! I'm fine with that."

"She's right...Remaining here is dangerous anyway."

"Fine with me as long as my mother and Preshes are safe."

"You said the town is located on an isolated island, so how do we get there?"

"You don't have to worry about that. We can use Hayami's boat..."

"But that belongs to Ryle Dono..."

"We had the agreement, forgot? After you help me to travel to west, you can have it as a present?"

"What a lavish show off!? I don't remember I ever received a present like THAT on my birthday" *frown*

"ME too..."

Nothing gets a girl riled up as a good log-boat does...

"I don't really care though..."

:iceburn:

After this, the game instructs you to go over to Ryle's house and introduces a new mechanic. Also, I like how nobody mentioned that Ryle ran away on his own again, with the intent to not return for months or years? :downs:

I have no idea why the game makes such a big deal out of this, as the following choice is entirely meaningless. It influences nothing, and this update will have two more choices. And only the last will have any real impact.

This is the party select screen. You can choose any girl, but are usually limited by how many the game allows to be in your party at that point. The girls will have a bunch of lines that are related to their attraction level. For instance, Latyss isn't to happy about going with us, while Caris would be really happy about it. It's some nice flavor and you won't see all the lines in one playthrough. Also, if you flex your eyes you can see Hayami's boobs bouncing around in this screen. Again, only her sprite does this. :heysexy:

I take this opportunity to choose Latyss and Orubia. They both can use a few levels, so I fight some battles with them before going back to the island.

"Wow!"

Time for more talking, yaaay!

"If we could sneak in from air, and divide into search team and diversion team..."

"Even if you do that, we can't fight against the ninja troop. Each ninja equals 50 menpower."

"50 menpower? How do you know that?"

"Hayami and I both fought against one of them and ended in a draw match."

This isn't what happened at all, but do go on...

"!! You fought them before?"

"That's right. These ninjas are controlled by the Monster Cell on their shoulders..."

"That means, you have freed one of them?"

"Correct, and now he's on a seperate mission to save others."

"How many of these "Ninja" people are in Factoria Castle..?"

"In order to know that, we have to sneak into the castle, obviously not a simple task I say."

"Not only that, the capital might have sent its troops to various locations to find us."

"And don't forget this island is so small that once they tracked us down, we got no place to hide."

"Indeed. Once they come here, sooner or later they'll find this hideout."

"Anyway, let's go to the castle. We don't got much time."

The rest of this conversation is boring so I'll summarize it. Since Hayami is known to the Ninjas, she can't come with us. So we have to choose two other girls to follow us. This choice is also mostly meaningless, safe for like two lines of text and a hidden event that you can trigger. Hayami will do some stuff in the meantime, with the girl you didn't chose and Brad. That last line sounds kinda kinky...

I bring Caris since you all love her so much, but I also pick Latyss as the secret event his about her. :engleft:

On the way, Caris starts to tap into her true potential and learns a new skill.

:supaburn:

And then I make a short stop in the forest.

I didn't mention it earlier, but these stairs lead into another area of the map.

Just as Ryle says, we can't do anything here right now. But having Latyss at this point triggers a short scene..

"...."

"What is it Latyss?"

"Ah, nothing."

"Tired? Sorry, if it wasn't for me..."

"Not at all, I was thinking about something else..."

"Just tell me when you're tired..ok?"

"I am fine now. Let's get going."

"Don't push yourself too hard."

"Sometimes you're too kind Ryle..."

"Huh?"

"*chuckle*"

Att 9 >>> 11

I wonder what that was about? Ah, probably nothing. Elves just love trees, right?

This time we can enter the castle fine. It was probably Hayami's fault that the Ninjas spotted us last time.

This place is fairly big and has some creepy music going. Let's check the vibe in town...

Ahw, that sucks!

:smith:

"Heh heh babe, what did I do? It's a crime NOT to touch a fine lady's body like yours~"

Do you really wanna know the rest of that conversation?

Or do you wanna know how the fat noble thinks about this "arrangement"? This place is hosed! :smithicide:

Since there's probably a battle coming, I might as well stop by the smith.

He has some good stuff, but it's kinda pricey so I'll pass for now. However, I do buy some equipment for Latyss for reasons that I can't disclose yet. I also get her the staff which boosts her stats quite a bit, and also adds a fire effect to her normal attack.

We've established that this place is in a bad shape, but what to do now?

Well, that didn't work.

This is one of those points were you have to find the one NPC in town that has progress in its pocket..

And in our case, it's a guard that's kinda chilling on his own.

"Heh?...Oh..."

"Indeed..it's Sessha."

"So you are safe alright. Gohu...?"

"Is he that guy Ryle mentioned back then?"

"I see. The way of ninja...Blending in so naturally..."

"It's an honor to meet with you, my lady."

"So how is the situation inside the castle?"

"Despite of being controlled like brainless dolls, please don't underestimate their formation. There are at least 20 of them inside the castle."

"That means we are against roughly 1000 soldiers, right?"

"Troop of 1000?"

I really hate how often the game drums on the point of Ninjas=super strong. It's like a really bad over-9000 joke, that won't end! Jfyi, killing Gohu in the first fight is easy. :colbert:

"If they are all controlled by that cell like Sessha was, we can eliminate them quickly by fighting 1 on 1..."

"True. That's more feasible solution..."

"That's out of our abilities! It took both of us quite some time to fight you."

"Then the best way is to lure out and finish them 1 at a time...for sure."

"Isn't there better ways? like we can increase our allies by making ninjas back to normal!"

"How about sessha pretend to be one of them and lead them to Ryle Dono?"

"..That's very difficult. Only Hayami and I know how to deal with ninjas. Not only that, fighting against one of them is tough enough but now more than 2..."

"However, no other way to lure out the other White Shinobi..."

"....I need to join with Hayami first. Gohu, you stay here a little longer."

Am I wrong for saying that nothing really happened here? Like, we're none the wiser than before. Welp, back to Lavas for the final scene of this update...

There is something new in this screen...Found it yet?..There is a new person!

"Umm...do I know you?"

Her name is Fina Delstar. She is the only daughter of the legendary Sacred Dragoon Flare.

Nice self-insert there, Flare.

"My name is Fina Delstar. I am a Valkyrie. Nice to meet you..."

Oh boy, meet Fina the female Jesus of this game. Since she's the daughter of Flare, who ended the first demon war and saved the world, you can probably guess that she plays a large role in the plot and that we will see a lot of her - whether we want to or not. She will become very powerful along the line, mostly focused on holy attacks, and has a whole trunk of Macguffins with her. That's well and good but here comes the problem: She is annoying as gently caress! Aside from being the most socially awkward nerd fantasy, she's also neurotic and has some anxiety disorders that will pop up one after the other. I'm not kidding, she is our lord and savior but kinda damaged at the same time.
Anime, right? :rimshot:

"Your last name is "Delstar"? You mean that Sacred Dragoon Flare Delstar!?"

"My mother..."

"Shisho!! What IS going on?"

"Even I am shocked..."

"Me too..."

"....."

"Sessha asked Lady Flare to send her here."

Told ya that Hayami would be doing stuff. Though, I wonder how she knows such important people? :raise:

"Umm, I don't want to give you guys a false hope. I'm not as strong as mom."

"Wow! She's even modest! I am starting to like her already!"

"No! It's not like that!!

"!!"

"Oh, I am sorry...But you see, I was an ordinary girl until 2 years ago."

"(How can she call herself "ordinary"...~)"

"Please don't think it as: Savior's daughter = Sacred Dragoon."

"Just remember that I'll help you as much as I can in my abilities..."

And here we have her first problem. She is really worried that people expect too much of her. Also she is so needlessly modest that she will sometimes get worked up if people compliment her too much or things like that. You'll see...

"Let us work hard as one team."

"Well, I won't be expecting too much from you. Still, you are an addition to our party. Welcome! We don't have enough troops nor time to wait now."

I like how he manages to give her a warm welcome while also making GBS threads all over her at the same time. :v:

"Yeah!"

"The one on your belt, is that the Savior's blade, Rune Disaster!?"

"Correct!"

"Ah, no what I meant...Yes it is."

"Oh come on! Let's do away with all the formal stuff between us!!"

I guess this part makes much more sense in the original text, since Japanese has some very formal styles of speech. At least that's what I read somewhere, I believe.

"From now on we are friends...Please be yourself."

"Is that ok? Eh hehe...*smile* I am not comfortable with it either."

"(Is she being very open minded or just a little tomboy?)"

I think the word you're looking for is "retarded". Happy to help!

"Only the one with the Dragon Gene can wield this weapon."

With the sword, her Macguffin count is already at two. Just saying...

"Dragon Gene? You mean the Draconic Aura which is needed becoming the Sacred Dragoon?"

"Correct! Well to be more accurate, it means having the dragon bloodline. My mom received the Dragon Gene from other person. She was not born with it."

How does that even work?? Please say that it's cause of magic, instead of something gross...

"That sword, I heard it used to be a part of the Draconic Buster..."

Or don't explain it at all and throw the next Macguffin at us. That's fine too!

"I'm impressed! Indeed. Draconic Buster and this sword used to be one piece. Long time ago, Draconic Buster had been broken for once."

"BROKEN!? That Draconic Buster?"

"The original Draconic Buster in the past contained an immensely powerful spell, Omega Wave."

Macguffin count: 4

"The spell must be handled right. Once it vaporized a single continent."

"That's SOME powerful spell~"

"So the first Sacred Dragoon split Draconic Buster into 2 seperate swords in order to control power."

"Can it be that easily broken and repaired?"

"Actually I haven't seen it yet, the sword transforms as it reacts to the Dragon Gene."

"In fact, this Rune Disaster changes its shape and power along with my personal growth." (level-ups)

"Before I had it in my hands, it was an ordinary sword, but it became very powerful when my mom held it! Not to mention that our house was once completely demolished by the energy emitted from the sword..."

"So the sword simply reflects how strong you are now, eh?"

"That means, I can tell by the look. Fina is quite powerful now!"

Stop sucking up to her, Caris.

"No, not THAT powerful~"

"That's right. I'll explain the current status of the castle in general."

Ryle summarized what he learned from Gohu.

"Power of 1000 soldiers... We can't win by facing them in a fair match."

"There's no way we can succeed even if all of us fight them at once."

"We need a plan for spreading their troops."

"Even if we managed to do that, fighting against 1 of them is already a hard task."

Welp, I guess the game's over then!

"If what you said earlier is right, I can do something about the cell without harming these ninjas!"

Ah, of course! We now have access to Jesus powers..

"Do something?"

"I got a move which is very useful on these sort of things. I can help to end the fight quick..."

Remember what I said about bad game design? This is it. The game established the power of those ninjas really hard. But now it doesn't matter much anymore! :toot:

"Which means you'll join the team to lure them and face them in person. Is that alright for you?"

"We need a diversion team no matter what! Because there's no way out once we get surrounded."

"She's right! I also agree with her plan."

"You might end up ambushed by a bunch of them!?"

"I'm sure there's no way that all of them can attack us at once."

"Huh?"

"If the High Chancellor hired those ninjas to protect him, then they might just do so. But he will lose the people's trust in royal authority if the foreign army is used instead. Knowing that risk, he's still hiring ninjas...to just protect himself? Don't you think it's little awkward?"

"So you're saying that the Chancellor hired Ninjas to protect something other than himself?"

"If that's the case, each Ninja at the various points can not leave his post. That means we can attack them one by one which is more plausible!"

There is probably some sense hidden in there. I honestly lost the ability to tell, since this update had so much drat talking that it drained my brain. Though it could also be because I opened a bottle of Whiskey some time ago and am already two glasses in. Don't judge, it helped me finish this in one go...

"And in my opinion, the Chancellor is being overconfident about security because he hired the White Ninjas. For they are the strongest mercenary army that he can find out there..."

"You...you are absolutely right."

"Miss Delstar, you are increable!"

"Sessha can say like mother and like daughter."

"Much better analytic skills than I expected.."

"That's her way of saying "You are very talented".."

"Hey~ Please don't be so flattering" *frown*

"Now we got to seperate members into 2 teams; Infiltration Team and Diversion Team."

"I'll join the Diversion Team and I also want Hayami. She can catch up with ninjas' speed."

"Sessha want to join Lady Fina!"

"Right now I don't know much about you other guys, so I just gonna assume that you can handle it!"

"We'll show it to you at the castle."

"I am looking forward to see it!"

"Then I'll lead the Infiltration Team with 2 more members!"

Please choose two girls for Ryle's team!

The third girl will join Fina's team, and we will need to control both teams in the castle. I'm just saying that if any of you want to take party composition into account. The voting will be open for the weekend.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 29, 2013

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Latyss and Orubia. Why not?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Burnfist and the elf. Abuse from one side, indifference from the other! :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Latyss and Orubia. Why not?

This.

Maybe Latyss will actually get some summon spells this time around. I have a bet with myself that one of the summons is Bahamut :allears:

Oh boy we got a Mary Sue. Let's see what the Mary-Sue-o-meter says thus far: http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm

55?! You don't say?! Now I admit, I did some inferring, she's the daughter of the saviour of the world and of course she's unsure of herself or her destiny, blah blah blah comeonyouknowthisshitlet'snotbeataroundthebush and I also assume that Flare used another character as well as his ideal girlfriend image to make her.
That said, I stopped before even finishing the first part and that's the score I got. A 50 is considered "lost loving cause, dude"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
and also Orubia for the other one I guess.

The portrait Caris maintains for basically the entire recruitment conversation with FINA THE STAR leads me to hear all of her lines in an exaggeratedly sarcastic voice. It made that conversation a lot funnier.

Edit: Change my other vote to Latyss because voting Orubia would make her currently beat ERUPTING BURNING FINGER and that's a serious faux-pas.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 8, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SSNeoman posted:

This.

Maybe Latyss will actually get some summon spells this time around. I have a bet with myself that one of the summons is Bahamut :allears:

Oh boy we got a Mary Sue. Let's see what the Mary-Sue-o-meter says thus far: http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm

It's kind of dumb to apply these to to anything other then fanfic and roleplaying characters.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

It's kind of dumb to apply these to to anything other then fanfic and roleplaying characters.

But this is both a fanfic AND an RPG :v:

VVV Don't forget Dragon Quest! Dragon Genes and so on!

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 8, 2013

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
And once again my psyciological profile of the creator/translator (From here on out referred to as Kyle) gets even more information backing it up. I can confirm that he has at least watched Evangelion once but has missed the point of everything and in all probability bitches all the time about how much of a wimp Shinji is. and he also doesn't talk to Christina but does seem to put her up on a high pedestal and one of them is a mary sue so chalk that one up to hormones (there are two love interests named after her Caris/Chris and Fina/Tina.)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think you're putting too much thought into this.

It's more likely that it was made by a Japanese kid who liked The Slayers and Tenchi Muyo and made a silly videogame.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well they say that art is a reflection of the artist.
Anyways this game's writing is a horrible trainwreck of anime and and anime fanfiction cliches and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Papstr
Oct 9, 2012
Most definitely Burnfist and I suppose Orubia.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The elf and the fire punch chick.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Burnfist and Delstar.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
I second Fire punching with elf

Rolling Start
Jan 11, 2012
Orubia because we haven't seen much of her yet and BURNFIST for :ssj:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Seeing recycled assets in different game can be a bit jarring. When I saw the fountains in the town, I thought we had crossed over into Elona for a sec, but I don't think that RW will reach that level of crazy at the pace it's going :(

Oh, and Cleric Friend and Quiet Elf. Burnfist is not subtle.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The latest two party members are quite annoying. I sometimes find myself thinking "which one is Sessha again?" I vote for Burnfist and Orubia.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Burnfist and Elf Lady

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

AfroSquirrel posted:

Seeing recycled assets in different game can be a bit jarring.

Flare's appropriation of assets from other games is as inefficient as it is shameless. This version of the game comes with 108 sprite sheets and 54 tile sets, most of which contain at least a few duplicates and sprites that are never even used in the game.

I vote Latyss and Caris.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Go with team Blue Hair, Burnfist and Orubia.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Burnfist and Latyss. Mostly Latyss, we must make her care about Ryle :qq:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You can only win fights because of a plot device, but you can't win them all the time because of a different plot device... eesh. That doesn't cancel itself out, it just sends things spinning out of control even faster.

Apple Syrup
Jan 21, 2012

Burnfist and Latyss

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I admit I very lightly skimmed any of the poo poo she was talking about. Kinda made my eyes hurt to read. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Oh man. I forgot just how painful this part of the game is. This isn't the last time the characters are put into an "unwinnable" situation due to a plot device, only for ANOTHER plot device to save them moments later without any player input. If you think Fina is annoying and Mary Sue-like for now, just wait until later in the game. :smithicide:

Anyway, let's go for Caris and Latyss.

• Locked thread