Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Dr Pepper posted:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :neckbeard:

I freely admit to being a totally nostalgic nerd over Tales of Symphonia. It was one of the first RPGs I ever played and even now I have deep fondness for it.

I hope they keep the original voice acting because Lloyd will always and forever sound like Robin in my head. :colbert:

This is basically determining if I buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wish that it was coming to the 360 too. :smith:

Have they voiced if they're gonna spruce up the combat system at all? It's gonna be really hard to go back to having no control over Overlimits and no Free Run system.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Did Symphonia really sell well in the West that we're getting the HD collection? Does this mean there's a slim chance for Vesperia PS3?! :smith:

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 3, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Symphonia is the best selling game in the series in the west.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Lakbay posted:

Did Symphonia really sell in the West
Yes.

Lakbay posted:

Does this mean there's a slim chance for Vesperia PS3?!
No.

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary

Lakbay posted:

Does this mean there's a slim chance for Vesperia PS3?! :smith:

Namco's Tales PR staff said on Facebook kind of bluntly that it's not coming over, so you might as well give up at this point.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Just wait for Vesperia HD- HD Harder on the PS4.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Vesperia 4K.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Vesperia on the PS3 would still be kind of nice since ultimately it's the only game preventing me from selling my 360.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nice to see that it's coming over. I did actually clear Symphonia twice. I have an annoying tendency to underlevel in tales games, and a second playthrough on new game + is usually worth it.

Probably won't buy it though unless they update the graphics and combat significantly since my Wii/GC still works just fine.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Someone apparently went to Namco's staff at a press event and asked about the possibility of Symphonia being redubbed and was told that it'd be too expensive to do so. I guess we don't have to worry about New Lloyd or Zelos in the first game? :v:

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Lakbay posted:

Did Symphonia really sell well in the West that we're getting the HD collection? Does this mean there's a slim chance for Vesperia PS3?! :smith:

Vesperia PS3 gets localized and

"The Repede minigame is uncontrollable... I had more fun snowboarding in FF7."
"Flynn doesn't even join until the last dungeon, what the gently caress is the point?"
"PATTY IS ONLY GOOD FOR CRITICAL LIMIT"
"Why did they nerf poker? Why did they nerf Force Field?"
"Oh, cool, so we can play through bosses on Namcot Isle for Secret Mission trophies. They made a casual mode."
"The Artes Ball is practically useless, since I just Dragon Swarm the whole game"
"Team Arena is nice, but I would have liked to fight against characters from Xillia"

Ah yes, I can see it now. :allears:

I realize I'm being cynical, as usual, but the only reason I see this compilation coming to the west is because it's already largely translated and won't take half as much effort as previous localizations. That and the fact that Symphonia is pretty popular, it's just a logical business decision. Namco Bandai aren't about logical business decisions, though.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Was the PS2 version just a straight port? I cant remember.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I honestly probably wouldn't even play Vesperia PS3 because of Patty.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
I'm sorely disappointed that they probably won't fix Symphonia's combat and not fix it from being one of the worst combat systems in Tales history.

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 3, 2013

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

KoB posted:

Was the PS2 version just a straight port? I cant remember.

They added a boss to the book dungeon and some Mystic Artes, as well as fixing the skill training bug (which makes me sad).

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

alcharagia posted:

I honestly probably wouldn't even play Vesperia PS3 because of Patty.

See, Patty really feels, at least to me, like a character that was originally supposed to be in the game. There's supporting evidence to suggest that this was also the case, or early development of her began in the 360 version to begin with. She does not feel like a rushed or tacked-on character whatsoever. She interacts with many of the characters during skits, has a really touching story herself, and makes rivals/friends with most of the cast. Her skills are completely decked out like other characters, and her attacks have different animations depending on which "fighting style" she's in. Flynn, however, feels tacked-on as being playable. He joins periodically throughout the game, usually before something big's about to happen. He doesn't really have any huge kind of story development outside of what you're already getting in the 360 version, besides a certain Aer Krene mission which involves characters from the Vesperia: The First Strike movie briefly.

If Patty really was made post-development of the 360 release, she's a really well-made character. Sure, you can just spam Critical Limit endlessly which is absolutely broken, but she also has some other pretty powerful attacks, and I just love hitting OVL and smacking enemies to death with frying pans. I realize not everyone's interested in an annoying attention whoring little girl, but she does have a place in the game, and she's probably the core reason people should want a translation made. At least, that's how I see it. That and the ability to skip cutscenes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

wdarkk posted:

as well as fixing the skill training bug (which makes me sad).

Awwwww. :smith:

This changes how I play the game in every way.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Megalixir posted:

has a really touching story herself,

I must not be familiar with this one, I just know about the hilariously awful story.

I mean, different strokes, but I just cannot stand the character.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

alcharagia posted:

I must not be familiar with this one, I just know about the hilariously awful story.

Yeah, all of us non-Japanese readers got a painfully in-depth look at Patty through the currently running LP and she's a loving atrocious character who borderline poisons every scene she appears in, and her plot is driveling, barely-coherent nonsense that's completely divorced from the game proper. And this is the Tales series we're talking about, which has never exactly made revolutionary writing or characterization its watchword.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't mind her? She's not exactly stellar but 'poisons every scene she touches' is a bit... much.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

I didn't mind her? She's not exactly stellar but 'poisons every scene she touches' is a bit... much.

Squeaky loli pirate girl whose dialogue consists of her acting "cute" in the most grating way possible, angsting over her breathtakingly stupid backstory, or expressing her wishes to rock the lead character's body ('til the break of dawn). Gets a little hard to take!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oxxidation posted:

Squeaky loli pirate girl whose dialogue consists of her acting "cute" in the most grating way possible, angsting over her breathtakingly stupid backstory, or expressing her wishes to rock the lead character's body ('til the break of dawn). Gets a little hard to take!

So she's a clone of...Anise? :raise:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Except half the time her contributions to scenes consist of "Arr." or "Yeah, that's right." and maybe a little heart symbol directed Yuri's way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

So she's a clone of...Anise? :raise:

Horror of horrors.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

alcharagia posted:

Feel free to spoil yourself at leisure: http://aselia.wikia.com/wiki/Patty_Fleur

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So was Symphonia the last main Tales game that directly featured the elemental spirits? I'm talking about making pacts with all the known spirits in order to do some magic miracle stuff, not passing references to them in attacks or purely plot appearances.

I know it's a total ripoff of Final Fantasy's crystals but I loved finding new elemental spirits in the older Tales games and getting new skills, like in Tales of Phantasia. I know Xillia features a character who claims to be Maxwell, but do you get to see any of the other spirits?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Megalixir posted:

Feel free to spoil yourself at leisure: http://aselia.wikia.com/wiki/Patty_Fleur

I've read the LP currently going on that covers, extensively, her "really touching story." Trust me. I am pretty much as aware as it is possible to be of her "really touching story."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Someone has a different opinion than me on a dumb JRPG story. I better shame and mock them repeatedly in every post I make.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Pretty much. Tales fans are the worst fans.

She seems fairly benign to me but that LP thread pretty much amplifies the usual anime hate. It's really no better or worse than any other JRPG plot. I mean she's no Lymle.

vvv I didn't even want to touch that comparison, haha.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 4, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

Hey, we're not fighting game community bad, yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

At least nobody's destroyed a Samba de Amigo machine out of their hatred of Patty Fleur.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Eddain posted:

So was Symphonia the last main Tales game that directly featured the elemental spirits? I'm talking about making pacts with all the known spirits in order to do some magic miracle stuff, not passing references to them in attacks or purely plot appearances.

I know it's a total ripoff of Final Fantasy's crystals but I loved finding new elemental spirits in the older Tales games and getting new skills, like in Tales of Phantasia. I know Xillia features a character who claims to be Maxwell, but do you get to see any of the other spirits?
Yep, several of the spirits make their return in Xillia and there's lots of MAXWELLING going on. The Xillia setting is definitely much improved over Graces.

It's not a complete pillaging of the elemental system like in Phantasia/Symphonia though. The scale is smaller and well, you'll see I guess.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Rascyc posted:

She seems fairly benign to me but that LP thread pretty much amplifies the usual anime hate.

There are many contributing factors but I think the biggest is the dichotomy between people who want a playable anime and people who want a good game. On one hard, there's Graces F, with a pretty bleh story but the best combat system in the history of 3D Tales, and there's Symphonia, with an okay story but one of the worst combat systems in the history of 3D Tales. Then there's Abyss, with an okay story (I guess) but one of the worst JRPG protagonists in history and a mildly improved combat system (with freerun breaking the game beyond belief even though it's a bit better). There's Phantasia which gets love but is hilariously unplayable these days, and Tales of Destiny R which was never translated or brought to the States and is the best by far in the entire series. There's Vesperia which is a pretty drat good balance with having (for the most part) a good story and characters along with far better combat than Symphonia and Abyss, even if the combat isn't even close to as good as Graces F.

It's complicated, really. For whatever reason, I have actually heard people utter from their mouths that Symphonia was the best Tales game ever made, even to this day, and I don't understand how that mindset is even possible.

This whole trainwreck of fighting over the games is what makes my friends and I basically refuse to call ourselves Tales fans (because there's so many few 'good' ones)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like all the Tales games for different reasons, even if I acknowledge that a lot of them have tons of flaws. It's a pretty fun way to be. Heck, I didn't even think Tempest was as terrifyingly bad as people build it up to be. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

sandpiper posted:

It's complicated, really. For whatever reason, I have actually heard people utter from their mouths that Symphonia was the best Tales game ever made, even to this day, and I don't understand how that mindset is even possible.

Because we played it when we were kids and it was so awesome. :shobon:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tales of Symphonia's plot will always be art to me, because I was 11 when it came out and it was everything I never knew I wanted in a story. My mind was perpetually blown.

Also Symphonia's gameplay isn't that bad. It's still more fun then a lot of JRPGs.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Cake Attack posted:

Tales of Symphonia's plot will always be art to me, because I was 11 when it came out and it was everything I never knew I wanted in a story. My mind was perpetually blown.

Also Symphonia's gameplay isn't that bad. It's still more fun then a lot of JRPGs.

I didn't say it was 'bad' in comparison to a lot of JRPGs, I said it was one of the worst Tales combat systems.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sandpiper posted:

I didn't say it was 'bad' in comparison to a lot of JRPGs, I said it was one of the worst Tales combat systems.

Ah, sorry, for some reason I got it in my head that you said you didn't understand why people liked Symphonia, so I was rebutting a point you never made :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cake Attack posted:

It is indeed amazing when you're a kid and don't realize it's 2/3 a rip off of Final Fantasy X with the remaining 1/3 being anime :v: