Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So what I am hearing Brad tell me is "do not pledge, wait until the game is out so you can tell what type of game it's supposed to be in anything but incredibly vague terms".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
"We don't know exactly what kind of game we're making or we're not telling you. Give us money, please."

This has to be one of the most vague Kickstarters I've seen.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I would say that it wouldn't work as a pitch, but thus far it's worked at as a pitch to the tune of close to $800,000, so what do I know?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
In a weird way, I think it's kind of smart not to over promise on stretch goals or reward tiers for a game that is in the earliest stages of development. Doublefine obviously has a fanbase that is willing to say "hey you want a game fine here's 20 bucks" on basically nothing. They certainly have hooked me for life and even their worst game, the Cave, was at least trying something different enough for me to not feel bad for a second buying it (most of the bad parts of it can be traced back to Deathspank's Ron Gilbert anyway). So maybe it's not such a bad prospect to not be beholden to people who need to have certain demands met before they'd even think of flinging 20 dollars their way. Personally, I haven't backed a lot of Kickstarters lately because they've felt like such a twisted complex of reward tiers that they actually feel like more of a risky bet to me. I guess I like the "here's my company, here's my idea" approach rather than what feels to me like trying to game the Kickstarter system.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think they're expecting this to be as huge a success as DFA. This whole thing seems to be way more in line with the intended spirit of Kickstarter instead of deliberately aiming low and having 20 new stretch goals ready when they expectedly reach their goal within the first 24 hours.

They're probably being very cautious here because they don't want to aim too high and take every new DF Kickstarter as a given success or inadvertently turn every game into a huge project - this definitely is not the last one they will do, and in fact it wouldn't surprise me if they were working towards building their entire future business model around Kickstarter.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 4, 2013

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CottonWolf posted:

I'd go as far as to say that the whole 'no stretch goals' thing is a bad idea. What's worse is that I'm sympathetic to the reasoning behind it. If I'm funding a game because I like the concept, I don't want to tie the hands of the creators, but I have a horrible feeling that without tangible goals they'll just end up getting less money overall.

I think that's commendable - more often than not, imo, particular stretch goals are rallying hooks to get the audience excited that aren't representative of the actual costs - but it'll almost certainly result in a lower final tally. But good on them.

However, the ideas they've presented are far too vague to get me to even consider backing them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rinkles posted:

However, the ideas they've presented are far too vague to get me to even consider backing them.
It's about as vauge as I remember the Double Fine Adventure kickstarter being, except that had "We are going to make an Adventure Game! You know what those are, right? And look at this name! Remember those cool Adventure Games he made in the past?" There was a track record.

While this one has "We're gonna make a game that's like these three very different tactical games! With some dynastic stuff!" So I am fairly certain they are going to have a grid, and... that's... about it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zereth posted:

It's about as vauge as I remember the Double Fine Adventure kickstarter being, except that had "We are going to make an Adventure Game! You know what those are, right? And look at this name! Remember those cool Adventure Games he made in the past?" There was a track record.

While this one has "We're gonna make a game that's like these three very different tactical games! With some dynastic stuff!" So I am fairly certain they are going to have a grid, and... that's... about it?

I agree, but a) I didn't pledge to that KS either and b) they had Tim Schafer and DF's portfolio of vaguely adventure-like games backing them up. Every attempt of DF's at a new genre has ended in lukewarm results, imo (haven't played Trenched). Always have a bunch of cool ideas and visuals, but the game feels like the end product of a brainstorming session rather than a polished and iterated design.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 4, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Infinitum posted:

Omni Kickstarter has launched

If you get in super quick you can get it for $250, but you have to assemble it yourself.

Already 355k out of 150k requested. :psyduck:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Al! posted:

They certainly have hooked me for life and even their worst game, the Cave, was at least trying something different enough for me to not feel bad for a second buying it (most of the bad parts of it can be traced back to Deathspank's Ron Gilbert anyway).
I even enjoyed The Cave, including Ron Gilbert's influence. I'd definitely call it their weakest game, but it's still a solid 7 or 8 - which isn't bad for a studio's "worst game."

Their Kickstarter looks to be doing exactly what they intended. It funded, and now their team has work, and they can make the game. I'd say they planned it perfectly. EDIT: This is probably what Kickstarters for non-major projects will start to look like, from studios surviving that way. "Hey you guys that funded us last time, here's our next game, it's still early of course, but you know we're good - go!". It'll work until said studio makes at turd, basically, and means a ton less money wasted on the production of the promotional drive.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 4, 2013

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

My issue with things like OR, ARAIG, OMNI, all these sort of peripherals is "How much is this going to cost me, and how much is it going to enhance my gameplay?"

At £299 for a DIY Omni, I'm paying a sizable sum for a device which I will most likely look at, wonder if I can be bothered to use it, shrug and pick up a controller and play normally.

The OR apparently has resolution issues, although whether thats resolved or not will make or break it for the consumer edition.

ARAIG, well, my issue is either its just going to shake a bit (in which case why bother?) or its going to shake a lot (in which case I'll feel like I'm getting a massage from a Parkinson's masseuse), either case of which I wouldn't really enjoy. Also, that thing looks uncomfortable as gently caress to wear on the couch while playing games.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I'm sympathetic to not wanting to have stretch goals to an extent but you really do need a clear and apparent core idea to pull that off. If there was clear concept of what gameplay was in an open ended way then I would be much more comfortable with it.

Right now it is pretty much:

Homer: Pfft. Burns never gives money to anybody. Just last week, I asked him for fifteen hundred dollars.

Marge: For what?

Homer: Oh, I've got to get the third degree from you, too?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
To be somewhat fair, for me at least, there is literally no way to execute on the concept they've outlined that I wouldn't love. As long as the creators are even marginally competent, I'll get one of my favorite games of all time. Given Double Fine's track record, I think $50 is a fair bet on them being competent in exchange for early access.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's remarkably easy to gently caress up a complex strategy game. Even Firaxis doesn't succeed every time.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.
Those of you who love stylish, grimdark miniatures will probably be interested in this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loudnraging/raging-heroes-the-toughest-girls-of-the-galaxy

They say they were funded in thirty seconds.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Megazver posted:

It's remarkably easy to gently caress up a complex strategy game. Even Firaxis doesn't succeed every time.

Absolutely, but the things that would ruin it are not (from a remotely competent team) generally things you can spot in the kickstarter phase. Before they have made a game.

I mean, totally reasonable for people to withhold their money for any or no reason, but it's not really clear to me what sort of detail would be important here that hasn't been presented. As has previously been mentioned, gameplay videos really only strike me as an important thing when we're talking about people who have no demonstrated ability. Established studio like Double Fine or Obsidian? Concept seems sufficient to me, at this point. Unless people are just pretending Kickstarter is a glorified preorder system? Which I guess I can kind of understand, but is vaguely depressing and I can't imagine why someone would bother touching the place if so.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Irony.or.Death posted:

Absolutely, but the things that would ruin it are not (from a remotely competent team) generally things you can spot in the kickstarter phase. Before they have made a game.

I mean, totally reasonable for people to withhold their money for any or no reason, but it's not really clear to me what sort of detail would be important here that hasn't been presented. As has previously been mentioned, gameplay videos really only strike me as an important thing when we're talking about people who have no demonstrated ability. Established studio like Double Fine or Obsidian? Concept seems sufficient to me, at this point. Unless people are just pretending Kickstarter is a glorified preorder system? Which I guess I can kind of understand, but is vaguely depressing and I can't imagine why someone would bother touching the place if so.

I think the problem is that when Obsidian wants to make an RPG, or DF wants to make an adventure game, we can look back on their past works and have a frame of reference as far as what to expect. So when DF says they want to make a tactical strategy game I look back on their past games and wonder how they apply to this project. And when I do look back at DF's games I see that they're funny, quirky and fun games but overall the biggest thing that sticks out to me is that they all lack the depth that is usually associated with this genre. So I guess my point is that even though DF is an established studio, and I'm confident they can put out a game that has a lot of charm, I'm very much doubting that they will deliver a game that stands up to others in its genre.

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!
I think Doublefine are really interested in having the backers see the game being made from the beginning (in real time). Which would be hard if they had already made part of it when they put it on Kickstarter. And if Broken Age is anything to go by, seeing the game being made is incredibly rewarding. (I realize it's been mentioned that the videos won't be as in-depth this time, but I'm still pretty optimistic.)

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Axegrinder posted:

Those of you who love stylish, grimdark miniatures will probably be interested in this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loudnraging/raging-heroes-the-toughest-girls-of-the-galaxy

They say they were funded in thirty seconds.

We've been discussing it in the trad games crowdfunding thread and it looks loving awful, proving once again minis nerds will throw money around for no reason at all.
Even ignoring how dumb the minis look, their master mold process (using a 3D printed mini to create the master mold) makes the already absurd cost (roughly $20 for one 28mm miniature) even harder to justify.

Also this, which is hilariously dumb and kinda :nws: http://i.imgur.com/NRWOvr7.png

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'v got a Raging Hero all right.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Infinitum posted:

Omni Kickstarter has launched

If you get in super quick you can get it for $250, but you have to assemble it yourself.

While this looks incredibly silly to the point of getting into that 90s phase of dorky VR setups, and the price of getting this as well as a Rift going is going to be immense (at least upwards of $500), this could end up being a big deal. Considering the OR is apparently realistic enough to confuse the hell out of your body, I'm certainly interested in trying both it and the Omni at the same time.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

miscellaneous14 posted:

Considering the OR is apparently realistic enough to confuse the hell out of your body,

You guys, I think virtual reality might be really cool.

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!
Did anyone end up playing Dominique Pamplemousse? Apparently it was released 2 months ago, but I didn't back it so I only found out now. I remember a bunch of people were discussing it last year, and I thought it looked like a nice little quirky game.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You guys, I think virtual reality might be really cool.

Jamie Hyneman seems to think so.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Al! posted:

In a weird way, I think it's kind of smart not to over promise on stretch goals or reward tiers for a game that is in the earliest stages of development. Doublefine obviously has a fanbase that is willing to say "hey you want a game fine here's 20 bucks" on basically nothing. They certainly have hooked me for life and even their worst game, the Cave, was at least trying something different enough for me to not feel bad for a second buying it (most of the bad parts of it can be traced back to Deathspank's Ron Gilbert anyway). So maybe it's not such a bad prospect to not be beholden to people who need to have certain demands met before they'd even think of flinging 20 dollars their way. Personally, I haven't backed a lot of Kickstarters lately because they've felt like such a twisted complex of reward tiers that they actually feel like more of a risky bet to me. I guess I like the "here's my company, here's my idea" approach rather than what feels to me like trying to game the Kickstarter system.

Yeah pretty much this. You could see how over promising stuff has lead to some mediocre stuff like that iOS star command game. You can also see in the Broken Age documentary when they hit problems early on because they had a much bigger scope once they got more money and ran into some financial problems. Its good that they scoped out the game already and I have faith in Brad Muir, he's a good designer (seriously Iron Brigade was one of my favorite games this generation).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Caerus posted:

Did anyone end up playing Dominique Pamplemousse? Apparently it was released 2 months ago, but I didn't back it so I only found out now. I remember a bunch of people were discussing it last year, and I thought it looked like a nice little quirky game.
Yeah, I helped fund it - it's extremely fun.

There isn't really any puzzling to it, it's pretty much just talk to the people / tap the items in the right order, but it works fine. The singing is awesome.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Caerus posted:

I got it through Indiegogo, but haven't played further than the first scene. I get bored waiting for voice actors to finish their lines, but I feel like doing that ruins the singing detective schtick, so playing it makes me feel weirdly impatient after a little while.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I backed Massive Chalice even though I haven't played many DF games and didn't back Broken Age. The muti-generational house system sounds amazing and I'm a big fan of strategy rpgs (especially FFT). I probably wouldn't have backed this if it was a no-name studio. Even if they haven't made a strategy game before at least they have some game experience under their belts.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Of the 14 different things that Brutal Legend tried to be, "strategy game" was by far the weakest. Tho I suppose it would be easier to go deeper with a turn-based system. IDK.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basic Chunnel posted:

Of the 14 different things that Brutal Legend tried to be, "strategy game" was by far the weakest.

But Brutal Legend was a faux-RTS, not a turn based game. I imagine that means it's not directly comparable. I agree that that stupid RTS stuff completely ruined all my enjoyment of Brutal Legend when they brought it in though...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I know this is a really :spergin: point, but in the original KS video when they mentioned that the game is inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics, the guy drew Cloud from FF7. On the one hand, that is obviously the most recognizable character from any FF game, it makes a certain amount of sense that that's what he'd draw. But if you're using the FFT comparison as a selling point why wouldn't you draw Ramza, since everyone who cares that you mentioned FFT in the first place knows who that is? And especially given that FF7 is not at all the kind of game they are trying to make. Just struck me as strange and comes off like they don't actually know about FFT beyond that its anime Xcom so when it came up he just drew "the Final Fantasy guy". Also they should have just said "a Double Fine Fire Emblem" since that's what it actually sounds like they're trying to make.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

So I didn't actually back it when it was a Kickstarter but Expeditions: Conquistadors is absolutely an example of a success story for the platform. It's a really fun niche title and now I wish I had gotten in for the $5 discount or maybe nabbed the exclusive in-game stuff for backers.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

voltron lion force posted:

I know this is a really :spergin: point, but in the original KS video when they mentioned that the game is inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics, the guy drew Cloud from FF7. On the one hand, that is obviously the most recognizable character from any FF game, it makes a certain amount of sense that that's what he'd draw. But if you're using the FFT comparison as a selling point why wouldn't you draw Ramza, since everyone who cares that you mentioned FFT in the first place knows who that is? And especially given that FF7 is not at all the kind of game they are trying to make. Just struck me as strange and comes off like they don't actually know about FFT beyond that its anime Xcom so when it came up he just drew "the Final Fantasy guy". Also they should have just said "a Double Fine Fire Emblem" since that's what it actually sounds like they're trying to make.

But Cloud is in FFT!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I never worried about getting Cloud...since I dominated with my group of math mages. :smuggo:

Also, you just got out:spergin:'d, Voltron. :drat:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Drifter posted:

I never worried about getting Cloud...since I dominated with my group of math mages. :smuggo:

Also, you just got out:spergin:'d, Voltron. :drat:

:negative:

No one ever uses Cloud though, hes so bad. They shoulda drawn Orlandu :colbert:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I was really hoping this first update would sell me on the game but goddamn don't be so coy.

Thinking about the kickstarters I followed and enjoyed I've always been more about a strong vision than a bunch of loose ideas. I feel this one is all about ideas with no vision behind it (if that makes sense). It almost annoys me that they're getting so much money when much better kickstarters struggled so much to get funded.

Maybe future updates will bring some clarity. Not that they have to worry about winning my $20 over or anything.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Caerus posted:

I think Doublefine are really interested in having the backers see the game being made from the beginning (in real time). Which would be hard if they had already made part of it when they put it on Kickstarter. And if Broken Age is anything to go by, seeing the game being made is incredibly rewarding. (I realize it's been mentioned that the videos won't be as in-depth this time, but I'm still pretty optimistic.)

Far as I can tell it's more that they will have a different focus. Where as the Broken Age documentary is more focused on people the Massive Chalice ones will be more focused on the detail of actually making a game [I'd guess more like the Amnesia Fortnight stuff] because they don't have to worry so much about ~spoilers~.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/05/insanity-shadow-of-the-eternals-crowdfunding-canceled/

Was their Kickstarter just one long sanity effect? :confused:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PonchAxis posted:

Yeah pretty much this. You could see how over promising stuff has lead to some mediocre stuff like that iOS star command game.

Also the problem with pre-announced stretch goals was pretty well articulated by Andy Schatz (who made Monaco and other cool games like that).

Andy Schatz posted:

I really like the idea of free money, but I’m of the opinion that designing a game around a variable budget is a terrible way to design a game. To be frank, I think that stretch goals are total bullshit.

The goal is to create a strong idea of what the game needs to be, decide what features need to be included, and then make it happen. Stretch goals seem to flip this idea, causing people to add features in a way that seems less than organic.

To me, you should decide if the game is incomplete without those features. If the game is missing a finger, add a finger, if the game is not missing a finger, don’t add one. That’s sort of my take on Kickstarters. That said, there’s the possibility that at some point I’ll try doing one, but I don’t like what it does to design”

It's a good point. If you designed your game to be complete with all these ideas and pieces, what happens if you don't hit your goals and don't get to make the features you had planned. Will your game feel gimped? And on the other hand, if you design your game to feel complete without them, will they feel tacked on or break something? I mean I like a good stretch goal as much as the next guy, but it's a solid point.

Also I guess I'm not freaking out about this because Brad Muir is a good game developer and the team at Double Fine are solid. If they feel like they can make a better game by seeing where this thing goes, I'm willing to go along for the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Budgeting affects the scope of any project, there is always a compromise between what any team, be they games designers, architects or a marketing team, want to do and what they can afford to do. Stretch goals surface the increments of that compromise in a very obvious way but they aren't a brand new issue.