Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
Wait. You took two classes in summer, which started after April 30 and just ended. The policy change happened before April 1, said that after April 1 money would be reduced, and said that classes still in progress from winter semester would be reimbursed. So why would you think this would "protect" your summer reimbursement?

Bureaucracy seems to be a constant scapegoat for you. No one likes bureaucracy, but most people don't have it bite them in the rear end constantly. Do you not read these things thoroughly? Are you one of those people who is constantly the exception trying to do something that policy doesn't cover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Never you mind posted:

Wait. You took two classes in summer, which started after April 30 and just ended. The policy change happened before April 1, said that after April 1 money would be reduced, and said that classes still in progress from winter semester would be reimbursed. So why would you think this would "protect" your summer reimbursement?

Bureaucracy seems to be a constant scapegoat for you. No one likes bureaucracy, but most people don't have it bite them in the rear end constantly. Do you not read these things thoroughly? Are you one of those people who is constantly the exception trying to do something that policy doesn't cover?

He also apparently filled in the wrong forms for reimbursement, entirely through his own fault, and glossed over that with nothing other than a 'lol woops.'

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

He also apparently filled in the wrong forms for reimbursement, entirely through his own fault, and glossed over that with nothing other than a 'lol woops.'

The form has a box where you put the total amount for each semester. The funding request goes in the appropriate semester box. I thought all of my funding was in the Winter semester box. Turns out that three courses were supposed to go in the Summer semester box instead. Clearly I am a moron and this cannot be fixed by simply putting the right numbers in the right boxes and resubmitting the form. :rolleyes:

I mean usually programs that start in April are "winter" programs, but since two of my courses were in April but three were in May, it spanned two semesters. None of my other education claims have worked this way. It's not a big deal.

Never you mind posted:

My poo poo was approved in February, my classes started mid-April, at the time I thought, "Oh, my courses are already approved and aren't Summer 2013 courses anyway."

As for constantly trying to be the exception, no. Usually I observe the normal practice, ask people how they got what they want, look up the policy, make a request referencing the policy which is usually a carbon copy of what the original person wrote with my name and details instead of theirs, and then get supported or refused based entirely on the whim of my supervisor. Or in the latest case, months go by while my file literally gets passed back and forth in Ottawa, unnoticed, until I break the rules and reach out to someone new and they take five minutes to notice what's going on.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I understand that that's normal behavior for most people, but you don't deal with a normal amount of bureaucracy in your life - you're trying to get medically released from the military and to get your education funded, which is extremely complicated.

The point isn't that you're being objectively inattentive - it's that your circumstances keep indicating that you should be more attentive during this process. IE, your mental framework needs to change a little. If you mentally re-frame it from "the government will be happy to give me what I want if I do the right things" to "the government will do what it can to make this difficult because nobody's particularly enthusiastic about giving me money", you'll have a better time of it.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

tuyop posted:

Well it's not like I could have done anything about it even if the Queen herself had written me a notarized letter saying that I would be repaid for my college course. The regulation changed after I got approval and started taking courses. If it gets denied later, then I can consider filing a Redress of Grievance.

Has it been denied or not? If not... what? If it has, are you planning to file a Redress of Grievance? I presume the people who look at that aren't specifically trying to gently caress you over so a "hey, i was promised this bene, enrolled in classes based on that, and was kind of hoping to get the money I was promised" may work alright as long as everyone isn't doing it. Even then, you just want to be in there early before they start turning off the money tap.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Delta-Wye posted:

Has it been denied or not? If not... what?

That's a good question.

Major General Forgues, Canadian Defense Academy posted:

Reimbursement for all following semesters and/or academic years will not be approved until the full extent of the departmental fiscal pressures is known.

It's a big if or maybe. Probably not? Who knows!

I can only count on money I have right now, so I'm out $877. The college has to send me $129 and the military says they will reimburse $329, but who loving knows if any of this will ever materialize. It was stupid to take the program in the first place.

Trying to plan my life around all this amorphous bullshit is maddening. No policy or decision is ever loving safe from being withdrawn or reinterpreted or straight-up ignored/lost. I honestly think that the whole medical release is a loving fiction right now and I would have put in my voluntary release at this point except I actually can't because I don't belong to this base, and nobody will write me an order to make it so that I can either belong to this base or go back to the base that I belong to. They're waiting for <someone else>. And while <someone else> is the base surgeon this week, next week or tomorrow it will be someone completely different, and they'll have a whole new chance to lose my file, reinterpret the regulations, or just ignore me. It has been going on this way since April loving 10th.

The only solution is to just try to opt out in my mind, and become totally divested of pretty much all of the time from 5AM when I get up to go to work and 5PM when I come home. The only goals I can trust are internally grounded and if they have something to do with the outside world, they have to take place in that little bit of time when my loving work doesn't keep me at a desk doing nothing for no reason.

I guess this is all good financially though because I'm still getting paid and my expenses aren't going up because I refuse to pay rent in Edmonton (where my wife is) and here, so sorry for the E/N.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

tuyop posted:

I guess this is all good financially though because I'm still getting paid and my expenses aren't going up because I refuse to pay rent in Edmonton (where my wife is) and here, so sorry for the E/N.

How does 'refus[ing] to pay rent' work? Did you move out of one of the locations? Are you literally just refusing to pay?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Delta-Wye posted:

How does 'refus[ing] to pay rent' work? Did you move out of one of the locations? Are you literally just refusing to pay?

Yeah I'm leaving my apartment in Ontario in two weeks, when all of our stuff gets shipped to Edmonton. I'll figure something out at that point but it won't cost money if I can help it.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

tuyop posted:

Yeah I'm leaving my apartment in Ontario in two weeks, when all of our stuff gets shipped to Edmonton. I'll figure something out at that point but it won't cost money if I can help it.

:pervert: Finally gonna shoot that vid!

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 1, 2013

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

tuyop posted:

What kind of options do you expect to find in two weeks that don't cost money?

Blarfy Bovine
Jun 3, 2007

2 - 3 = negative fun!

Fun Shoe
Large appliances still come in large cardboard boxes, right? :buddy:

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Blarfy Bovine posted:

Large appliances still come in large cardboard boxes, right? :buddy:

He's going to convert all the bikes he's got into a makeshift tent.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Delta-Wye posted:

He'll pay $2000 for a top of the line tent, which will promptly blow away the instant he leaves his to take a piss.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

He'll pay $2000 for a top of the line tent, which will promptly blow away the instant he leaves his to take a piss.

Solution: 200$ designer boxers which remove the desire to urinate!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Delta-Wye posted:

I still have a car (this time it's not full of stuff so I can actually use it for sleeping), I have a couple of friends if I need to stay somewhere, I have a very nice tent and all sorts of gucci outdoors gear that I bought years ago.

Showering and abluting can happen in the gym before work. I'll figure out food but it can all be cooked on my camping stove just as well as a pot on my stove at home.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
For gently caress's sake tuyop.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.
As much as Tuyop is determined to be homeless and live off the land, I think this is what will happen if push comes to shove:

tuyop posted:

I have a couple of friends if I need to stay somewhere

Though if he's going to be homeless for a bit, this is the time of the year to do it.

Also, dumb question Tuyop: will you be getting any rental deposit back? (Did you even have to put down one?)

Nether Postlude fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 1, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nether Postlude posted:

As much as Tuyop is determined to be homeless and live off the land, I think this is what will happen if push comes to shove:

Though if he's going to be homeless for a bit, this is the time of the year to do it.

Also, dumb question Tuyop: will you be getting any rental deposit back? (Did you even have to put down one?)

No, here in Ontario you just pay first and last month's rent. Since we had to break our lease, we get my wife's half of the rent back from the military. Toeshoes had to make a security deposit on the place in Edmonton (which is $925/month, I'll explain below). The new place is on a bus route, but it might make sense for us to buy a used scooter or something. I'm not really sure, that problem seems so far away in my mind. Right now she's staying in quarters on base until she comes back here on the tenth to pack our stuff and take it to the new place. :)

So, in Edmonton you get posted living differential (PLD) which is $684/month so that's good! I got this in Halifax while I was going to university as well, it's pretty sweet. I'm pretty sure she also gets Land Duty Allowance, which is $311/month. So our (her?) income has effectively increased $870/month (955 in allowances + 800 in old rent no longer paid - 925 in current rent).

Monthly update is going to have to wait, something's going on with her bank account so mint is missing a bunch of data. Looks like we spent about $6000, though, which is including stuff that was advanced last month like hotel and rental car costs for toeshoes' posting. It's been a pretty crazy month.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

tuyop posted:

Toeshoes had to make a security deposit on the place in Edmonton (which is $925/month, I'll explain below).

Wait, you're moving to Edmonton, she's got a place in Edmonton, but you have to live in your Gucci tent?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

cstine posted:

Wait, you're moving to Edmonton, she's got a place in Edmonton, but you have to live in your Gucci tent?

Yeah I'm not understanding this. Even if they charge per room if she's renting just a room or some such, do you guys not share a bed or something? I don't get it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cstine posted:

Ah, see, nobody knows when I'll be moving to Edmonton. Right now I'm staying here in Ontario, or maybe going back to Gagetown. Estimates range from two to eight weeks. Latest possibility is September, I suppose, because that's when my school starts.

Edit: She left for Edmonton on the 17th.

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
You really have to do everything the hard way, don't you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Never you mind posted:

You really have to do everything the hard way, don't you.

Not by choice!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuyop posted:

I still have a car (this time it's not full of stuff so I can actually use it for sleeping), I have a couple of friends if I need to stay somewhere, I have a very nice tent and all sorts of gucci outdoors gear that I bought years ago.

Showering and abluting can happen in the gym before work. I'll figure out food but it can all be cooked on my camping stove just as well as a pot on my stove at home.

I'm getting horrible flashbacks here.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

spog posted:

I'm getting horrible flashbacks here.

It's summer, most everything on is reruns. :v:

I'm neither surprised nor happy that my suspicions were correct. I'm thinking Canada has some version of section 8 and this thread is going to be Tuyop's primary evidence to get out of the miliary. :tinfoil:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Fair warning, guys. I'm buying a laptop soon.

And you guys aren't going to like it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

tuyop posted:

That page you posted posted:

Recommendation: Don't Buy

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Me in Reverse posted:

This is your problem, again. You are a horrible gear whore. Stop wasting money on 'premium' poo poo you don't need.

You are the same guy who is martyring himself out of a microwave, but you *WANT* a fancy chef's knife, so you'll spend more on that than the microwave you won't buy.

Until you find a top of the line microwave to lust for.

This a vicious cycle.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

tuyop posted:

I really hope you're joking with us. Macs have a time and a place, but anything a Macbook Air can do a cheapo netbook can do just as well at less than half the cost. It's just clunkier to carry around and slower, but you wouldn't get a MBA to do heavy processor lifting anyway. Macs have much less of a price premium than they used to, but Macs and high-end Thinkpads are premium computers for people with extreme needs or extra money to spend.

I have a Lenovo X120e that isn't much heavier than that Macbook, cost $400 new 2 years ago, and does everything I expect a non-desktop to do.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Weinertron posted:

I have a Lenovo X120e that isn't much heavier than that Macbook, cost $400 new 2 years ago, and does everything I expect a non-desktop to do.

Ok that laptop is just hideous.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

tuyop posted:

Says the person who wants to live in a tent and recycle their own feces.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

This is a stupid idea. I don't even recommend apple products to people who can afford them, and you can't. There are many things about both Apple's products and policies that make them terrible, but this is about you and not about computers, so I'll stay more on general terms for buying items.

You probably don't need a laptop. Even if you do need a laptop, you don't need an expensive one. Whenever you want to buy something, replace laptop with the item you want and repeat the first two sentences of this paragraph to yourself. It's time for you to change your spending habits. I'm not even going to bother beating around the bush, you NEED to change your spending habits. When you buy things, I've seen you do two things: you buy things you don't need, and you manage to buy an expensive variant of the item you buy. Stop doing this, it's poor money management. I'd bet a fiddle of gold that your situation is caused by poor money management, and if you don't get better at managing your money, even if you get rid of the debt you have now, you'll eventually land right back in the same place. Please do not make an excuse and expect that to act as a get-out-of-jail-free card, just accept my advice, and start listening to the thread.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
At least wait until monday, when WWDC will announce all the new laptops. If anything this current gen will drop in place.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Are you just jumping on the next "must buy" thing because toeshoes is away and you're bored/lonely/depressed?

A new laptop won't solve that, btw.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

tuyop posted:

I like how Thinkpads look. If I had spent twice as much money, I would have gotten a T420. Back on subject, what changed in your life that you need a new ultraportable laptop?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MrEnigma posted:

At least wait until monday, when WWDC will announce all the new laptops. If anything this current gen will drop in place.

Yeah I would wait until the new models come out if I go that route. Even if I get like an HP, they're going to update their lines soon as well. Better processors and battery life all over the place.

dreesemonkey posted:

Are you just jumping on the next "must buy" thing because toeshoes is away and you're bored/lonely/depressed?

A new laptop won't solve that, btw.

No, it's just that my computer is a desktop and it's being taken to Edmonton. Our internet was also cut off on June 2nd because we're moving. So, since I can't move my desktop I have to go 10k to the library rather than 3k to the coffee shop if I want to do anything on the internet outside of work hours.

Once the computer goes away, I'll have an ipod classic (2008), exercise, library and my kindle for free entertainment. While this is pleasantly minimalist to me, I can think of a few good reasons to have a laptop as well.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy
Buy a cheap, used laptop/netbook. Why would you even buy new?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Anyone else laughing at the "minimalist" who wants to buy one of the most expensive lines of laptops available?

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Nocheez posted:

Anyone else laughing at the "minimalist" who wants to buy one of the most expensive lines of laptops available?

Being minimalist is about spending lots of money on the small smooth white versions of things instead of buying the larger ones with less appealing corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

The worst thing about it is he isn't trolling. He really is this stupid.

• Locked thread