Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Quaffin' a potion to run over a lake.

Oh please God max out acrobatics so we can see this all the time. I forgot you could walk on water in Oblivion until now :roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
So wait, your 'sneaking suit' is hotpants and no shirt?

Did Sterv study under Big Boss?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Pidmon posted:

So wait, your 'sneaking suit' is hotpants and no shirt?

Did Sterv study under Big Boss?

Big Boss is the founding father of the practice of wortcraft.

"How does it taste?"

Alchemy skill increased by 1.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Oh please God max out acrobatics so we can see this all the time. I forgot you could walk on water in Oblivion until now :roflolmao:

You can't really run across water at max acrobatics so much as hop across it, like skipping a stone. Or....skipping a Sterv.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

anthraciteDragon posted:

Big Boss is the founding father of the practice of wortcraft.
Ahem...

Also...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Meet Sterv Jetson! :buddy:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I just love the idea of Sterv running from a pack of guards, yelling and waving his arms in the air like Zoidberg. Then stopping in front of Valen's cell just long enough for Valen to look up, get shot in the face with a lightning bolt, and then Sterv resumes running away screaming.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, that's how that mission usually goes for me as well.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
That mission is easy to abuse invisibility on to stealth it, though. No doors to open, so you can just dodge around the guards. I never have any trouble getting past them that way.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kloro posted:

That mission is easy to abuse invisibility on to stealth it, though. No doors to open, so you can just dodge around the guards. I never have any trouble getting past them that way.

Well, maybe if I had invisibility at my disposal other than a one-time use scroll and knew that the mission would call for invisibility, then yes, that would've worked.

Foreknowledge is still OP.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 18, 2013

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The invis spells in Oblivion are game-breaking and extremely over-powered. Don't like an encounter? Don't fight it!

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
True, I guess. I just tend to get impatient with stealth sections, so I always grab the invisibility spell that the Khajit in the sanctuary sells.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Roar posted:

The invis spells in Oblivion are game-breaking and extremely over-powered. Don't like an encounter? Don't fight it!

They're not that bad. Chameleon spells on the other hand...

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Lizard Wizard posted:

The scamps weren't really a factor, it's just a really hard mission to stealth through.

It might've helped if you were wearing your sneak-boosting DB armor and not a big fuckoff suit of Dwarven heavy mail, though :shepface:

That mission isn't TOO difficult to sneak because they deliberately give you shadowy places to hide where the guards patrol...but then, I usually abuse the sneak glitch to get it at least up to 50 in like the first two hours of the game by scurrying face first into a wall near an innkeeper, sooo yeah. What always got me is having to sneak all the way back to the sewer entrance...except on like my fourth playthrough when I realized there was a key not too far from Dreth that you can use to literally walk out of the prison's front door :suicide:

I forgot about the Scales of Pitiless Justice and how much they own; it's basically like having a pretty good enchanted ring that you never even have to equip! I don't think there's anything else like that even in the game, nor in Skyrim either.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 19, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I forgot about the Scales of Pitiless Justice and how much they own; it's basically like having a pretty good enchanted ring that you never even have to equip! I don't think there's anything else like that even in the game, nor in Skyrim either.

I can't help but find it amusing that the magical scales you get, which should be all about balance, just give you an entirely lopsided buff.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 19, 2013

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Lizard Wizard posted:

I can't help but find it amusing that some magic scales, which should be all about balance, give you bonuses to three pretty good stats and just kind of half-assedly debuffs the stat nobody ever invests in.

What are you talking about? A high personality is central to Speechcraft :haw:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

What are you talking about? A high personality is central to Speechcraft :haw:

I'm pretty sure they were re-enacting Journet To Ixtlan when they were working on this game's approach to Speechcraft. :shroom:

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Lizard Wizard posted:

I can't help but find it amusing that the magical scales you get, which should be all about balance, just give you an entirely lopsided buff.

Obviously, the scales are weighted - common merchant trick.
I don't recall anyone saying the scales were fairly balanced :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

aerion111 posted:

Obviously, the scales are weighted - common merchant trick.
I don't recall anyone saying the scales were fairly balanced :colbert:

But then they wouldn't be scales of any kind of justice!

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Lizard Wizard posted:

Ah, no, that's a common misconception: It's actually the scales of Pitiless Justice, a minor Daedric Prince.
Rather obscure, really, not surprised you haven't heard of him.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

Perhaps Justice calibrated them herself? She's blind, you know. :v:

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Pitiless justice requires you weigh the scales against pity so of course they wouldn't be balanced. Like, maybe they're balanced so you don't feel pity for that kid who murdered his grandmother/the mean old women running the orphanage.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Since when was justice balanced? Justice has always been about lopping sides against the guilty in favor of the not guilty. If they were to be truly balanced scales they should have been named "Scales of the Mathematician" or "Scales of Logic". Those guys will go to crazy degrees to make sure you get every nano-gram worth of salt.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Stroth posted:

They're not that bad. Chameleon spells on the other hand...

Chameleon spells? Try Chameleon enchantments. Oblivion has a limit of 20% effect for Chameleon enchantments on items, but don't let that slow you down! If you enchant a set of 5 items (say, helm, cuirass, greaves, boots, gloves) you can build yourself a Predator suit. The way invisibility works in Oblivion, you can't attack or interact with items without being revealed, but Chameleon doesn't work that way: it's supposed to be a stealth buff. But at 100% Chameleon, you literally can't be spotted, meaning you can attack all you want and mobs will have no way of responding.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Can-O-Raid posted:

Chameleon spells? Try Chameleon enchantments. Oblivion has a limit of 20% effect for Chameleon enchantments on items, but don't let that slow you down! If you enchant a set of 5 items (say, helm, cuirass, greaves, boots, gloves) you can build yourself a Predator suit. The way invisibility works in Oblivion, you can't attack or interact with items without being revealed, but Chameleon doesn't work that way: it's supposed to be a stealth buff. But at 100% Chameleon, you literally can't be spotted, meaning you can attack all you want and mobs will have no way of responding.

I wonder what would have happened if Maxwell Adams did this during his Oblivion romp.

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012

Can-O-Raid posted:

Another thing to note is that any degree of chameleon turns you completely invisible visually. One time at level ten I had a rather obnoxious fight with a mage who had a robe of 3% chameleon, rendering her completely invisible.

Of course, this is moot, as Lizard Wizard would never use the Chamelon trick to cheese the game.

Right?

Invisibility has its uses. As a slight mage, learning a 30 sec invisibility spell can be useful for just sprinting through dungeons to get at their delicious loot. By the time it wears off, you can be behind cover or your magicka could perhaps have returned by then.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Coonskin_Cap posted:

Another thing to note is that any degree of chameleon turns you completely invisible visually. One time at level ten I had a rather obnoxious fight with a mage who had a robe of 3% chameleon, rendering her completely invisible.

Not completely, there's a 'bubble' effect that lets you see them in good light. Maybe there's something wrong with your graphics or you have effects turned down?

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012

Can-O-Raid posted:

Not completely, there's a 'bubble' effect that lets you see them in good light. Maybe there's something wrong with your graphics or you have effects turned down?

I was playing PS3 GOTY edition and I couldn't see poo poo, maybe my game was being weird? :shrug:

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

They're magical scales. What's the point of making magical scales be the same as non-magical ones? It'd be like enchanting a table and not making it hurl stuff across the room when you touch it. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Coonskin_Cap posted:

Of course, this is moot, as Lizard Wizard would never use the Chamelon trick to cheese the game.

Right?

Do the words "vintage brandy" mean anything to you? :getin:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 20, 2013

Alaan
May 24, 2005

If you do the prison mission at just the right level where your sneak is good, but not broken, it's one of the most fun missions in the game I think. There are a crap ton of guard, but quite a few good spots to hide in/move through as well. You just feel awesome when you ace it and get through cleanly.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

To Kill a Shadowscale

Ahh, a job well done. I believe I SHALL take a rest. All this murdering is beginning to feel like work.

This is a personal matter, and will have no bearing on your standing within the Dark Brotherhood. Would you like to hear more?
Yes. Tell me more.
I find your decision most agreeable! Now, the details. Far south of here, on the southern end of Cyrodiil, lies a swamp called Bogwater. Hiding in that swamp you will find an Argonian Shadowscale named Scar-Tail. Kill this renegade, and bring me his heart as proof of the deed.
I can do this.

Excellent. This is just what I needed. Surely Scar-Tail suspects nothing; I can take this task at my own pace, do some things for ME.

First, I will put in some time at the Mages Guild.

Okay No Another Quest is Fine

Fancy. A bit cramped, but fancy.

Ooooh.

I'll just be taking these, for myyyyyy...

My, errrr...

Dissertation.

Yes. Plausible.

And this must be a...gathering room, of sorts.

...oh! As long as I'm among mages, I should ask about THAT.

Er, I'll take your word for it.

Have you ever seen one of these?
At the last Imperial Alchemy Symposium, I heard Sinderion mention something about a strange glowing root. I'm afraid I can't remember what he said about them. Perhaps you should make the trip to Skingrad and ask him in person.
Sinderion in Skingrad. Noted. Who would I see about a recommendation, by the way?
That would be Falcar's responsibility. Good luck.

Hmmm...he looks like a Falcar.

Weeeeeellll...
Don't waste my time if you're not ready for this. Are you prepared to do what is necessary to gain a recommendation from me?
Certainly.
Hrmph. Very well. We shall see how prepared you actually are.

If I didn't know better, I'd say he purposefully tossed it down the well behind the guild hall. Why he would do such a thing is beyond me. You will retrieve this ring for me. Should you manage to do so, I shall consider sending a recommendation to the University. The well is locked, so you'll need the key. Deetsan should have a copy of it. Now get moving.
Hold on. About that ring...
It's not a normal ring, you see. You may find it slightly difficult to carry. Don't say I didn't warn you.

This is all very suspicious. I should be prepared for anything.

Hmm. Instead of using a Feather spell, I'll just store my equipment before heading into the well. The ring can't be heavier than a set of Dwarven armor.
I can't see Feather being very useful as a spell, unless you're of the mind to re-cast it and keep it up. Seems like a bother.

This could be useful. And fun!
Gotta have my Water Walking.

And...what is THIS?

Let's give it a try.

Seems to let me make things move. Amusing, but I have work to do.
Telekinesis allows you to push, pull and generally wave items around. There's one or two ways you can use this to your advantage, but it's not a useful spell at all - it's pretty much just there to show off the physics engine. That was a big deal back then!

...anyone else feel old now? :smith:

Now, I'll just cram my armor in here and go see Deetsan.

Falcar told me to see you about the well key. It's for my recommendation, you see.
We can talk, so long as Falcar is out of earshot. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he's trying to get you killed!
Come again?
He gave poor Vidkun the same task, an we never saw him again. I'm reasonably sure there's a connection, but I can't prove it. Do be careful. I'd hate to lose another Associate. Here's the key, and something extra. I don't know if it will be of use to you, but from what I've heard of Falcar's ring, it may come in handy. And if you find out anything about what happened to Vidkun, let me know, will you?

Buoyancy only gives you a piddly 5 points of Feather - not nearly enough to be helpful for this quest - but it is a free version of Water Breathing, and one that manages to be more magicka-efficient than what you can buy from vendors. Handy!

Now, let's see if we can't find this ring.

...yup. This sure is a well.

Wwwwwith a dead body in it. :stonk:

Hmmm. Vidkun, I presume.

...nnngh. This thing weighs a ton. No wonder Vidkun died down here.

Oho. I'll be taking that.
Annnnd there's a Nirnroot down here. How very missable.

Back to the guild hall.

...what about the Ring of Burden?
Oh, just drop it anywhere. I don't think he really cared about it. I think it was some sort of sick joke on his part.
So what happened?
I admit it's my doing. I couldn't leave well enough alone, and after you'd left to go after that ring, well...

He was furious when I told him I'd helped you, and then when I threatened to report him to the Council of Mages, I thought he was going to kill me! He flew into a rage! I didn't even understand some of his ranting, but he said that our days are numbered, and then he stormed out!
...so I'm guessing no recommendation, then.
I don't know if he ever wrote your recommendation. I'm sorry. I didn't expect this to happen. Perhaps you should go look and see if he did write one?

Right. Be right back.

I'll just grab my things first...

...and head for the basement.

No recommendation here.

A locked drawer? Peculiar.

BY THE NINE! BLACK SOUL GEMS! :monocle:
Black Soul Gems are a most interesting item indeed. They're the only type of Soul gem that can hold the souls of humanoids, which are always Grand. Unfortunately, these quest-specific ones can't be used to trap delicious NPC souls, and we need them to finish the quest anyway.

Uh...Deetsan?
What's this? Black soul gems? Oh, dear. This is worse than I'd expected. All right, I'll just take these from you. I'll need them for my report to the Council.

In light of the circumstances, I believe they'll find it more than adequate.
:)

Now, I'll head to Leyawiin. From there, I can make my way to Bogwater. I don't know if I feel like any more contract killing, but I should honor my obligation to Teinaava before anything else.

After that, I need to figure out what's most important.

Not pictured: picking up leftover Black Bows from Telepe and turning them in for a bit of cash. Anyway, we've got us a vote! There's a number of things we could do at this point. We could start the Mehrune's Razor questline, check out Frostcrag Spire and do more Mages Guild stuff while we're at it, do poo poo for the Fighters Guild, claw our way through the ranks of the Arena, continue doing assassinations, initiate the Knights of the Nine questline, or take a bite out of the Main Quest before we reach Level 10 and cause the world's enemies to get that much more swole. I'm sure I may have forgotten a thing or two, so don't be afraid to suggest other things as well, so long as it's a thing that's been mentioned in the LP thus far.

Cat Stats

Class skills
Block: 38
Blunt: 26
Destruction: 42
Acrobatics: 51
Light Armor: 68
Marksman: 44
Speechcraft: 30

Not class skills
Armorer: 33
Athletics: 33
Blade: 31
Hand To Hand: 39
Heavy Armor: 39
Alchemy: 52
Alteration: 34
Conjuration: 35
Illusion: 23
Mysticism: 30
Restoration: 29
Mercantile: 19
Security: 33
Sneak: 36

Those little bars in the corner of the screen
Health: 137
Magicka: 168
Fatigue: 223

Shiny, clinky gold: 5,846

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 3, 2013

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Lizard Wizard posted:

Er, I'll take your word for it.
[...]
It's not a normal ring, you see. You may find it slightly difficult to carry. Don't say I didn't warn you.
[...]
Telekinesis allows you to push, pull and generally wave items around. There's one or two ways you can use this to your advantage, but it's not a useful spell at all - it's pretty much just there to show off the physics engine. That was a big deal back then!

...anyone else feel old now? :smith:

Eilonwy's got a serious case of horse-mouth. I'd hate to see what would result if she bore Sterv's child.

First time I did this quest I was not prepared for the ridiculous weight of the ring, so while I was underwater I dumped all my gear in a panic to escape, finished the quest, then returned to the well to fish it out again.

:eng101:Telekineses does have a wonderful use if you're into bug abuse, as it can be absorbed by you if you have an active Spell Absorption effect on, recovering an amount of magicka determined by your Mysticism level.

e: Go check out your bitchin' tower!

Neurion fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 20, 2013

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Go check out your tower digs - might be a scratching post there you can use!

Also, I tried to "game the system" by only grabbing one of the two Black Soul Gems from that cabinet. I thought I was sooooo clever and would go back and grab the other one and have a free soul gem. Apparently the game just decides to plot it out of existence once you turn in the other one. A sad day.

Also, the only thing I used Telekinesis for (besides the above thing), was to retrieve welkynd stones from high-up places in the Aylied Ruins.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Go finish off the DB, I want to see your thoughts on KotN, but might as well get all of the assassinations out of the way first

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Stervcrag Spire, for the same reason as Mecca. Think of the tassels. :allears:

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
If you need to carry around one heavy thing you can drop it and use telekinesis to carry it around - kind of a pain but possible. Of course you can also use it to set off traps.

Let's at least try some of the Main Quest.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
To the Spire!

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Start the Mehrune's Razor questline because it reminds me of Arx Fatalis. Also, did the scamps drown while you were underwater in the well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

A spire, a spire, my kingdom for a Spire!

• Locked thread