Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
:) Hey, don't feel bad, you're doing a good job, all things considered. Cataclysm is a disaster no matter how you're looking at it, keeping GDA working at all is a pretty good effort.

\/\/\/ Shut up, I was trying to be nice here.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Cataclysm: Even coding it is a post-apocalyptic survival experience.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Fungal spires are what you use your mini-nukes on.

And if you don't have any, it's possible to assemble them out of grenades, plutonium cells, and some other junk.

It's not that bad. A single molotov is enough to burn away the walls and destroy the spores that keep spawning and then you can just snipe the spire with pretty much any decent rifle.

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012
I just finished reading The Day of the Triffids book and I kept thinking how cool it would be sometime down the track to have a "Day of the Triffids" option where there are just lots and lots of triffids, and parties of blind NPCs led by a sighted NPC scavenging for food, leading to a sort of fight for food. You would have to decide to try and be stealthy or just shoot the helpless blind folk, or perhaps their sighted person leaving them helpless, and take all of the food for yourself. I think it would work really well with the Cataclysm engine.

I haven't played Cataclysm for a bit now, but reading it has made me want to get the latest version and play again.

CharlesDexterWard fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 28, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

CharlesDexterWard posted:

I haven't played Cataclysm for a bit now, but reading it has made me want to get the latest version and play again.

I really recommend it, the DDA team has added a lot and the game has improved tons even since .5

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

I just finished reading The Day of the Triffids book and I kept thinking how cool it would be sometime down the track to have a "Day of the Triffids" option where there are just lots and lots of triffids, and parties of blind NPCs led by a sighted NPC scavenging for food, leading to a sort of fight for food. You would have to decide to try and be stealthy or just shoot the helpless blind folk, or perhaps their sighted person leaving them helpless, and take all of the food for yourself. I think it would work really well with the Cataclysm engine.

Sounds doable. Day of the Triffids is basically a vegetarian-flavoured zombie apocalypse story, so the game is halfway set up for it already anyway. It probably wouldn't make much of a difference in actual gameplay, though.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I pulled a stupid and accidentally made my rapier wielding, meth cooking, badass Jacques Friction commit suicide. I usually generate a new world when a character dies, but I was pretty pissed so I just created a new one. Fritz Wang (Yes all my character's names are dick jokes) spawned nowhere near where Jacques died. He had to go on a beer fueled cross country trek in a stolen jalopy, while fighting off dozens of zombie bastards board and nail. After three days, a few close calls, and the running over of many squishy things he has finally arrived at Jacques old home, "Fort RIP Dale Earnhardt Jr". Fritz may not have the skills, or the taste for high grade glass that ol' Jacques had, but at least he has all his big boomy toys now.

It was surprisingly fun driving around with barely adequate supplies and looking for a place I wasn't sure I'd ever find, but I'm glad I can finally get back to work on my battle wagon. I almost missed it because I didn't recognize the town at first, but it clicked when I happened to drive pass a half burnt pile of butchered corpses.

What I'm getting it is that I really appreciate everything everyone has done to keep this game from falling apart.

You really should. There's some nice quality of life improvements now. I don't how long it's been since you've played, but shift+v brings up a list of everything you can see that you can scroll through and the cursor will move to where the item is. It's very handy. PiCroft added the ability to repair and reinforce non-cloth items, which is just awesome.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Is anyone knowledgeable in vehicle turrets? I tried installing two mounted M249's on my super vehicle in an old DDA 0.4 save, and they appeared to have no trigger control, emptying 400 rounds against two spiders in a matter of seconds and filling the road with shell casings
Would I have better luck with flamethrowers? At least those have a limitless ammunition source

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm not sure if this is what you're asking but when you control a vehicle you have an option to disable the turrets from the vehicle control (^) menu.

On the other hand that might be something they added in 0.5 and above, I never really played 0.4.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking but when you control a vehicle you have an option to disable the turrets from the vehicle control (^) menu.

On the other hand that might be something they added in 0.5 and above, I never really played 0.4.

It was available in 0.4 as well, but if I'm going to use my turrets I'd rather they not fruitlessly empty themselves as soon as they're activated

I did briefly test out mounting a flamethrower I had lying around, and it seemed far more effective. If there are any downsides (Aside from fire damaging the vehicle if you sit around in it) they weren't immediately obvious

Edit: It also eats through fuel and is actually pretty impractical

TheKnife fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 28, 2013

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I've basically just been sitting around and watching movies for the last 6 hours, because I've run into a bug on my own project* that I just can't figure out a solution to, so I've posted about it on the relevant forum and waiting for a response. In the meantime, despite watching movies, I can't help but think about game programming stuff, and I realized that with ncurses being dumped in favor of an SDL solution, it would be possible to make use of the audio facilities of the SDL library. Given the state of the Whales originating code, doing anything in Cataclysm is harder than it should be, but considering the new item factory and other code added by the DDA team, I think it might be a large but obtainable goal to add audio, especially considering that unlike tiles, this is something that can be tackled piecemeal without breaking anything else.

To be perfectly honest, I think sound makes a game more than graphics, and I'd bet is a driving reason that made DoomRL so popular even amongst people who normally don't play many roguelikes. Think of it this way, what would make you feel more connected to the game when firing a shotgun: a graphic tile representing you firing said shotgun, or actually hearing the report roar out of your speakers?

* I'm using Ogre3D, which has an instance manager class that allows you to instance many objects at once with minimal performance hit compared to individually creating them all as different objects, since it packs as many instances into a rendering batch as possible. Unfortunately, just creating the instance manager is causing a number of crashes, which vary every time you run the application (considering the crash stack-trace always ends in the d39 drivers, I have a feeling that they're getting malformed data and dumping the render state in an unexpected manner, which causes a crash).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Holy crap, high levels of radiation are brutal. I just explored one of those toxic waste sarcophagi without taking any real precautions against radiation. I just barely made it out of the sub-level with 1 HP in every part of my body. :stare: If I didn't have a bunch of iodine with me and a Repair Nanobots bionic I probably wouldn't have survived that.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So what do fleet footed and road runner actually do? I always take Fleet footed because I wanna to go real fast all the time, but I don't actually notice a speed difference on even terrain. Unless every terrain is actually even terrain? I still have green levels of speed going over rubble so I don't know what the gently caress.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

All terrain is "flat." It makes you faster when you aren't crossing rubble, furniture, windows or other things like that.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Tyskil posted:

So what do fleet footed and road runner actually do? I always take Fleet footed because I wanna to go real fast all the time, but I don't actually notice a speed difference on even terrain. Unless every terrain is actually even terrain? I still have green levels of speed going over rubble so I don't know what the gently caress.

Speed affects how many turns it takes to do something. You won't notice your speed being fast in an empty environment because it doesn't work that way.

If it takes, say 10 turns for you to move 1 space with a speed of 10, and a zombie 12 turns to move 1 space with a speed of 8, you'll outrun it easily. If your encumbrance drops your speed to 7, so you take 13 turns to move one space, the zombie will catch up to you eventually.

These numbers I'm pulling out of my arse but the concept is the same. This also applies to reloading and stuff which are helped with traits like "Quick".

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Cardiovorax posted:

Holy crap, high levels of radiation are brutal. I just explored one of those toxic waste sarcophagi without taking any real precautions against radiation. I just barely made it out of the sub-level with 1 HP in every part of my body. :stare: If I didn't have a bunch of iodine with me and a Repair Nanobots bionic I probably wouldn't have survived that.

I assume you hacked the computer to get into the sublevels? What skill do you need to pull that off?

GodExtreme
Aug 8, 2008
This game, I just ran myself over in my own semi truck losing the best character I have had yet! Over 1,000 total kills :(

On the upside, at least he left a lot of stuff behind for his protege!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

dyzzy posted:

I assume you hacked the computer to get into the sublevels? What skill do you need to pull that off?
None. It isn't hackable, you need to randomly find an access code on a military patrol. Better get two, though, because the elevator at the bottom doesn't work, either. I'm not sure if you can find another one down there.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Aw, that's lame. What's the point of computers skill anyways? Worse yet, why even prompt you to bypass security on that console?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Inside the computer is a bunch of flavour text and a menu option that lets you permanently lock down the sarcophagus or optionally enter the opening code. Without the computer skill you don't even get that far. It's useful in other places, though. You can use it to hack the security terminals on Bunkers or Science Labs without needing ID cards, and inside the labs there are more computers you can hack to get access to armouries, bionics storage and some other helpful stuff. It's actually a pretty useful skill, just very situational.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I didn't have any computer skill when I found it and saw the options, I just assumed you could open it up with enough skill I guess. It reminds of a Bethesda game where you can pick 95% of locked doors but some ~special~ ones can't be opened without a key. Guess I'll cross my fingers for some military corpses.

The ID bypass is a good point though. I lucked into a jacqueshammer on this character pretty early, so I haven't bothered :v:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cardiovorax posted:

Inside the computer is a bunch of flavour text and a menu option that lets you permanently lock down the sarcophagus or optionally enter the opening code. Without the computer skill you don't even get that far. It's useful in other places, though. You can use it to hack the security terminals on Bunkers or Science Labs without needing ID cards, and inside the labs there are more computers you can hack to get access to armouries, bionics storage and some other helpful stuff. It's actually a pretty useful skill, just very situational.

I'm pretty sure you need an electrohack to open up Bunkers/Science Labs, not computer skill. You also need computers to get into mines (although there is an alternate way in generally) and sewer treatment plants.

The single best use for computers, though, is hacking missile silo computers and launching nuclear strikes on triffid nests. Beyond that, I pretty much only raise it because the skill books are fairly common and can raise it to a high level.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Never really messed around with mechanics before, but man its crazy how quickly deconstructing a vehicle levels you up.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
How do I stick arrowheads on to arrows? Ammunition seems to be remarkably scarce in my game, and I can't scrounge up a hand press anywhere, so I'm giving archery a try.

e: Never mind, figured it out. I didn't have enough archery skill.

e2: Haha, you can build a ballista. Archery! :v:

Daktar fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 28, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Here's the new version of GDA:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/Goon%20DDA%200.4.1.zip

-Shelter kits are back to their non-dumb volume & weight
-Mutations are now parsed in professions so you can make new professions that start with specific mutations
-Vengarr's books are back in. Sorry bout that :shobon:
-Junkie profession

There's not much in the way of new stuff since I was concentrating on putting the GDA stuff that got lost back in but, once again, if you notice anything off, let me know.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Daktar posted:

How do I stick arrowheads on to arrows? Ammunition seems to be remarkably scarce in my game, and I can't scrounge up a hand press anywhere, so I'm giving archery a try.

e: Never mind, figured it out. I didn't have enough archery skill.

e2: Haha, you can build a ballista. Archery! :v:

This doesn't really help much, but every hand press I've ever found has been off a zombie corpse.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Vengarr posted:

I'm pretty sure you need an electrohack to open up Bunkers/Science Labs, not computer skill.
You need an electrohack, but the electrohack uses computer skill to determine what results you get. If you're bad at computers, you're likely just to short out the interface, locking the door permanently.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Vengarr posted:

I'm pretty sure you need an electrohack to open up Bunkers/Science Labs, not computer skill. You also need computers to get into mines (although there is an alternate way in generally) and sewer treatment plants.
Right, you need one of those. Your computer skill decides whether your attempt is successful, though. If it's too low, the console might break or you might get electrocuted.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Strudel Man posted:

You need an electrohack, but the electrohack uses computer skill to determine what results you get. If you're bad at computers, you're likely just to short out the interface, locking the door permanently.

You know, I always thought it used electronics skill. Since you're technically hotwiring a panel and not cracking software.

Can't find the code, though.

Korthing
Oct 23, 2006

Congratulations on never getting fit!

Vengarr posted:

You know, I always thought it used electronics skill. Since you're technically hotwiring a panel and not cracking software.

Can't find the code, though.

I'm pretty sure i found it, in iexamine.cpp
code:
  bool using_electrohack = (p->has_amount("electrohack", 1) &&
                            query_yn("Use electrohack on the reader?"));
  bool using_fingerhack = (!using_electrohack && p->has_bionic("bio_fingerhack") &&
                           p->power_level > 0 &&
                           query_yn("Use fingerhack on the reader?"));
  if (using_electrohack || using_fingerhack) {
   p->moves -= 500;
   p->practice(g->turn, "computer", 20);
   int success = rng(p->skillLevel("computer") / 4 - 2, p->skillLevel("computer") * 2);
   success += rng(-3, 3);
Definitely "computer" for the skill used.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

PiCroft posted:

Thats for the DDA build, the GDA build is here: https://github.com/JonTerp/Cataclysm-DDA

Also, no offense to Jon but I'm thinking of putting the Furry Body mutations back in. It was a useful mutation and I disagree with its removal because furries (if that were the case we'd have to remove all mutations). Is this okay with people (Jon included)?

I totally agree, go for it. It's petty and childish to remove certain mutes just because I don't like the community that likes that sort of thing.

Just an FYI the mutation was never removed it simply had it's descriptor changed to "plate" or something like that. You can go back and check the commits for GDA to find the anti-furry one to see what I changed and where.

I used "git pull upstream master" to merge from the master DDA fork.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 29, 2013

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I was carrying an engine back to the garage when a wolf spider went for me and, not thinking, I tried to clobber it with the engine. Instant game over.

I have the worst goddamn luck with vehicles :cripes:

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Aw poo poo need to pay way more attention to the changelogs. They split the martial arts starting perks up into a few different ones so you can choose from every style now. That is infinitely better than hoping an NPC is not buggy long enough to teach you one or just giving yourself the ultimate martial arts knowledge with the debug menu.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I just fixed the Amigara Fault event. Just replace this bit:

code:
monster horror(g->mtypes[mon_amigara_horror]);
for (int i = 0; i < num_horrors; i++) {
    int tries = 0;
    int monx = -1, mony = -1;
    do {
     if (horizontal) {
      monx = rng(faultx, faultx + 2 * SEEX - 8);
      for (int n = -1; n <= 1; n++) {
       if (g->m.ter(monx, faulty + n) == t_rock_floor)
        mony = faulty + n;
      }
     } else { // Vertical fault
      mony = rng(faulty, faulty + 2 * SEEY - 8);
      for (int n = -1; n <= 1; n++) {
       if (g->m.ter(faultx + n, mony) == t_rock_floor)
        monx = faultx + n;
      }
     }
     tries++;
    } while ((monx == -1 || mony == -1 || g->is_empty(monx, mony)) &&
             tries < 10);
    if (tries < 10) {
     horror.spawn(monx, mony);
     g->z.push_back(horror);
    }
   }
with this:

code:
	monster horror(g->mtypes[mon_amigara_horror]);
        for (int horrors_spawned = 0; horrors_spawned < num_horrors; horrors_spawned++) {
            int spawning_point = 0;
            if (horizontal) {
                if (g->m.ter(faultx, faulty - 1) == t_rock_floor) {
                    spawning_point = faulty - 1;
                }
                else {
                    spawning_point = faulty + 1;
                }
                horror.spawn(faultx, spawning_point);
                g->z.push_back(horror);
            }
            else {
                if (g->m.ter(faultx - 1, faulty) == t_rock_floor) {
                    spawning_point = faultx - 1;
                }
                else {
                    spawning_point = faultx + 1;
                }
                horror.spawn(spawning_point, faulty);
                g->z.push_back(horror);
            }
        }
This will make horrors spawn consistently and in the right amount.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I just got the craziest start for this character. Two shelters right near each other. A nearby mansion and cabin, each isolated in the woods. A nearby tiny town consisting of four houses, a liquor store, a library, a church, a gas station, and a grocery store. All cleaned out now, as are the zombies. I have a hot plate and a water purifier and a pickup. I started exploring the very few roads and found a couple farms, one with a welder and some military corpses; a LMOE shelter though it wasn't that great; more gas stations; a FEMA camp and a hospital both of which I'm scared to approach. Thanks to the gas station snacks I have all the fletching I'll ever need.

This is awesome.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
My best character just randomly died of dehydration. It hadn't even been a full day since he last drank water and I had tons and tons of it. The game just randomly informed me that he was dead of dehydration. Goddammit.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
This is the first time I've realized that Kickstarter has comments, so I've been reading through the ones left on the Cataclysm kickstarter, and it looks like the entire thing is crashing and burning in a spectacular way. There's something (including an update from Kevin Granade) about the head developer (that this kickstarter was to fund) leaving; there's another guy named Driver Man in the comments whom is super pissed off, claiming that he and some guy named utunnels put in a pull request for functioning Z-levels and tiles a month ago. He claims that they simply haven't been merged into the main trunk yet, so he's declaring fraud--or at the very least picking goals in the kickstarter that have already been met, so that they can't fail.

Whether the guy is lying or not, it appears that he's stirring up a hornets nest among investors, and the possibility of the head developer dropping out (and needing one of the other guys to step up but for a shorter amount of time) is spraying that nest with kerosene.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
If all that's true it's incredibly shady. I just want to keep playing this game knowing there are improvements coming down the pipeline.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

dyzzy posted:

If all that's true it's incredibly shady. I just want to keep playing this game knowing there are improvements coming down the pipeline.

Considering we have our own "in-house" devs, im not too worried about that.
This game has evolved quite a bit since the last Cataclysm thread I made a while ago.

Even if the Kickstarter does fall through im sure there will be improvements made, the community around Cataclysm is sizable now.

Xii fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The King of Swag posted:

This is the first time I've realized that Kickstarter has comments, so I've been reading through the ones left on the Cataclysm kickstarter, and it looks like the entire thing is crashing and burning in a spectacular way. There's something (including an update from Kevin Granade) about the head developer (that this kickstarter was to fund) leaving; there's another guy named Driver Man in the comments whom is super pissed off, claiming that he and some guy named utunnels put in a pull request for functioning Z-levels and tiles a month ago. He claims that they simply haven't been merged into the main trunk yet, so he's declaring fraud--or at the very least picking goals in the kickstarter that have already been met, so that they can't fail.

Whether the guy is lying or not, it appears that he's stirring up a hornets nest among investors, and the possibility of the head developer dropping out (and needing one of the other guys to step up but for a shorter amount of time) is spraying that nest with kerosene.

I totally agree that the apparent loss of one of the coders looks pretty bad and even worse with this Driver Man character fanning the flames, but I suspect Driver Man might be someone who has a grudge against Cataclysm for reasons besides the ones being stated. It wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened, though there's no proof of this and it wouldn't excuse the way poo poo is kinda falling apart at the moment.