Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Evil Canadian posted:

Well the premise is enough to sell me on backing this game however... Satellite Reign? What an awful name that is.
It's a pun on Satellite Rain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fySDXRiyEg0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ahh I see, I never did play Syndicate wars only the original Syndicate.

*ed*

Still probably not a great name though as that means nothing to people who didn't play Syndicate Wars like myself, name just seems silly.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

Still probably not a great name though as that means nothing to people who didn't play Syndicate Wars like myself, name just seems silly.
I agree that the name leaves something to be desired, but hey if it gets made then the title will be just something to click past in order to play (what looks to be) a fun game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Evil Canadian posted:

Ahh I see, I never did play Syndicate wars only the original Syndicate.

*ed*

What would you call it, assuming that you couldn't use the word 'Syndicate'?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Paradox is making one called "Cartel".

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

It's not why you brought it up, but apparently Cartel has been cancelled. A real shame but then we never did know anything other than the promise to make up for the FPS's lack of faithfulness.

As for names, if they were to stick with the gist of Syndicate then something like Cabal perhaps. Don't think a name has used that since this excellent/bastard hard bit of gaming history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabal_%28video_game%29

That said, that'd be a dumb choice in a world where Cartel was going to be a thing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fwoderwick posted:

Right, get your names in for the not-Persuadotron (which there will be if they know what's good for them :argh:). Members of the board, I present to you, the Electro-Woo.]

Something tells me that there's not going to be so much a device that replicates it, but an agent class that does. The agents I can guess, from what we've seen, is going to be your standard Syndicate-like operative, a stealth CQB agent (the one the concept art makes looks like a ninja with a sword), and probably a hacker agent that can override people's neural chips and make them do suicide attacks against the police. There's gotta be a fourth one, maybe a heavy weapons guy or sniper or something, to fill out the team.

Hav posted:

What would you call it, assuming that you couldn't use the word 'Syndicate'?

"Consortium"? "The Bloc"? "Economic Co-Prosperity Sphere"? "Free Trade Fire Zone"?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Young Freud posted:

"Consortium"? "The Bloc"? "Economic Co-Prosperity Sphere"? "Free Trade Fire Zone"?
Consortium is the one that rings the nicest. Makes it clear it's inspired by Syndicate without confusing people that don't know about the original

Maybe Satellite Reign: The Consortium will be the DLC.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.

Young Freud posted:

"Libertaria" or "Freedonia".

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Something tells me that there's not going to be so much a device that replicates it, but an agent class that does. The agents I can guess, from what we've seen, is going to be your standard Syndicate-like operative, a stealth CQB agent (the one the concept art makes looks like a ninja with a sword), and probably a hacker agent that can override people's neural chips and make them do suicide attacks against the police. There's gotta be a fourth one, maybe a heavy weapons guy or sniper or something, to fill out the team.

I've thought the same thing. I just hope in that case that it'd still be possible to create a posse of armed civilians rather than turn it completely in to the short term magic spells mind hacking abilities. Nothing wrong with adding those on top though

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Heck, I'd like it if there were even 11 classes all doing different things, even if you were limited to 4 agents in the field at a time. I will kind of miss the agents just being blank slates with equipment, but the whole weapon switching thing was probably the weakest element from the original Syndicate(s).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Darkhold posted:

Consortium is the one that rings the nicest. Makes it clear it's inspired by Syndicate without confusing people that don't know about the original

Consortium is an actual thing though.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

Heck, I'd like it if there were even 11 classes all doing different things, even if you were limited to 4 agents in the field at a time. I will kind of miss the agents just being blank slates with equipment, but the whole weapon switching thing was probably the weakest element from the original Syndicate(s).

Got to disagree with the second point about weapons. To me that was a big chunk of the tactics, picking a range of weapons for the different situations. Flamers for close combat, shotguns/miniguns for mid range, lasers for long range and guass guns for everyone dies. But you had to weigh that up with how many medkits/force fields you'd carry.

But then I also think that juggling two weapon slots in FPS's is not the pinacle of game design.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fwoderwick posted:

Got to disagree with the second point about weapons. To me that was a big chunk of the tactics, picking a range of weapons for the different situations. Flamers for close combat, shotguns/miniguns for mid range, lasers for long range and guass guns for everyone dies. But you had to weigh that up with how many medkits/force fields you'd carry.

But then I also think that juggling two weapon slots in FPS's is not the pinacle of game design.

I don't mean the activity of switching weapons, rather the method in how you had to do it in especially Syndicate wars where the menu was very cumbersome.

I don't really know a better way but maybe having all the weapons visible for all agents at once and being able to switch with a hot-key would be better.

Sorry for being unclear.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Evil Canadian posted:

Well the premise is enough to sell me on backing this game however... Satellite Reign? What an awful name that is.

I didn't know that it was a play on "Satellite Rain" and I still like the title. It can mean "control via/from a satellite" or "control by proxy," both of which are basically the game. It gives you an impression of control coming from above (fitting, in a city where everyone with power literally lives higher up). It ties modern technology in with the power dynamics of monarchies (and all of the other medieval/feudal/classical stuff that the word "Reign" invokes), and that's a connection that people will subconsciously make every time they load the game. It also gave me a very good impression of what the game's tone was before I'd seen the pitch.

It generally feels like it condensed after a few months of development rather than being tacked on because they needed a title.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

I like the way you think, Cheston.

By the way, it's up for vote on Steam Greenlight now. Vote for it!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157080530

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

I don't mean the activity of switching weapons, rather the method in how you had to do it in especially Syndicate wars where the menu was very cumbersome.

I don't really know a better way but maybe having all the weapons visible for all agents at once and being able to switch with a hot-key would be better.

Sorry for being unclear.

Ah, panic over then!

Apparently there'll be the first update video up soon, talking about morality and interaction with the cities population and in the meantime there's a piece of concept art wallpaper featuring the four agents. Not sure what's going on with that guy on the left, apart from apparently missing a right elbow he seems to be puppeteering something that's hovering behind him?

Good to see Daft Punk branching out a bit too.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 2, 2013

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Fwoderwick posted:

Apparently there'll be the first update video up soon, talking about morality and interaction with the cities population and in the meantime there's a piece of concept art wallpaper featuring the four agents. Not sure what's going on with that guy on the left, apart from apparently missing a right elbow he seems to be puppeteering something that's hovering behind him?

Good to see Daft Punk branching out a bit too.

Ha! It looks like they fixed "weird elbow guy" almost immediately.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

All right! First developer chat video update. It has morality (or lack thereof), gameplay elements and beard talk.
http://youtu.be/nDJGjXoXpOA

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I've always liked the "Trust" as in trust busting as a name for a syndicate successor, especially given the obvious double meaning. Sadly trusts as monopolistic concept probably aren't widely known about these days.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Really nice interview with Mike Diskett at Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Well they're certainly talking a good talk at this point and enjoying it too with their beer and nibbles.

Rock Paper Shotgun has just posted a long interview with Diskett which is worth a read. Spends quite a bit of time talking about the kickstarter model but he does go in to a lot of detail not in the video.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/02/satellite-reign-and-syndicates-simulation-legacy/#more-158898

A few points:
- He created Muckyfoot Studios, which means this man is largely responsible for Startopia and therefore should really be in line for a knighthood
- A mostly fixed camera (no 360 rotation like SW)
- Agents can die, but you transfer their 'talents' (read: experience/levels) in to a new body. Any augs are lost though. Not so far removed from the originals then.
- Diskett is hot for city simulation and interacting systems.
- On city size: "It’s not as big as GTA, but imagine if we took all the Syndicate maps and we put them into one giant map"
- On the agents themselves:
The Assassin - "is more stealthy, and able to go in close for cloaked melee attacks"
The Soldier - "the traditional agent, who will take people on in the streets"
The Hacker - "can hack into and take over mechs, and augmentation of civilians – he’s an agent which takes the role of the persuadatron in the original Syndicate games"
The support class - "is sad because Mike Diskett has not said anything about him"

A good read, I'm definitely moving towards backing now, but I'll wait a little longer, hopefully they'll be able to show something to go with all the right noises they're making.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Thanks! Added to the OP.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

Fwoderwick posted:

- Diskett is hot for city simulation and interacting systems.

Kryptonite. OK, you can have all of my money.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

The one thing I hope they clarify in the next video is whether the player will have a choice over their four-man team composition. Do we always have to have one of each class or can we mix and match, like in the recent XCOM for instance? Sounds like that may not be the case, but it's all fluid right now anyway.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gooble Rampling posted:

The one thing I hope they clarify in the next video is whether the player will have a choice over their four-man team composition. Do we always have to have one of each class or can we mix and match, like in the recent XCOM for instance? Sounds like that may not be the case, but it's all fluid right now anyway.

That's what I'm hoping for as well. I'd rather have it be like a mix-and-match Syndicate instead of being Commandos.

It's nice to be right about the Hacker. I'm wondering if Support is going to be more of a long-range, indirect combat class, where it can bring down grenades, mortars, and the "Satellite Rain" where the Agent uses direct-fire weapons.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I played the hell out of swars back in the day and giggled like an idiot when I saw the kickstarter project go up and backed it immediately. I just hope the new game will have those tinny little "aaahhhhhh" screams with dudes running around on fire. Between Syndicate Wars and Crusader: No Remorse I was setting people on fire left and right in the late 90's.

Very happy to see different classes being implemented too; like MikeD said in the latest interview, I kept running all 4 dudes in Syndicate Wars together as a single lump and just mowed everything down instead of being tactical about it since there really wasn't an incentive to do so.

MINIGUN. That voice needs to come back for this game.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
^^ Holy poo poo yes that MINIGUN voice has to be in the game, drat I'd forgotten about that...

I first played Syndicate when my sound blaster card came with a free CD of the game and it was amazing. I've never finished it, or played too far into the game, but I loved the hell out of it and would often just hang out in a level and pretend to be one of the civilians, or go on a mind control rampage.

Swars was a game I really wanted to play but due to me living in Saudi Arabia at the time as an expat kid, the choices of games were limited and I never got to buy it, I had one friend who had the game and he wouldn't lend it out because he was an rear end in a top hat, so I'd sit and watch him play. I think the first time he blew up a building was one of the biggest wow moments of my gaming history.

Anyway long story short, backed this immediately because syndicate is an awesome game and they can have my 100 bux.

Azmodaii fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 4, 2013

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Angryboot posted:

Between Syndicate Wars and Crusader: No Remorse I was setting people on fire left and right in the late 90's.

That reminds me, I should go over to GOG and see about picking up a copy of Crusader. I got a copy as a present back when it came out but could never get it to play properly on my old PC.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Apparently there was a big demand for boxed copies of the game, so they just updated the Kickstarter with a tier for that. I personally don't care either way but I guess it makes sense for a classic game remake to come in a box. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5livesstudios/satellite-reign/posts/529402

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm such a nerd for swars I even started designing my tabletop nerd game terrain based on it :( I should probably finish that eventually.

Maybe I should start another play-through just for old time's sake.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Why would they have two heavy weapons guys? :confused:

Mordaedil posted:

I hope at least you have like in Syndicate 1, permadeath for agents, but it also not being too hard to get a new one out of cryostorage and up to speed. EDIT: By which I mean you don't have 4 agents, you have dozens and such.

Ah, solving a combat sweep without firing a shot... :allears:

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Syndicate was the highest point of my Amiga 500 gaming career. I loved Wars just as much on my PC. If they can pull it off, then I will be very happy.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
For those foolish to not have backed yet (or have notifications turned off]

quote:

As we mentioned in the last update Chris is appearing in the Krautfunding show for an interview about Satellite Reign.

Showtimes:

19:00 BST (London, UK)
20:00 CET (Heidelberg, Germany)
11:00 am PST (San Francisco)
02:00 pm EST (New York)
04:00 am (Brisbane)

http://www.application-systems.co.uk/krautfunding/extra1.html
Interview today and funding has reached 50%.

How does everyone feel about the funding so far? It's been slowish compared to the 'big' kickstarters but pretty fair for one of the lesser known ones. I'm hoping for at least 600k.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 5, 2013

Cstar
Aug 17, 2006
I've no way of knowing what whims I might have!

Zereth posted:

I hope at least you have like in Syndicate 1, permadeath for agents, but it also not being too hard to get a new one out of cryostorage and up to speed. EDIT: By which I mean you don't have 4 agents, you have dozens and such.
It won't have permadeath, think it was in the RPS interview. When your agent dies, their skills/memories are downloaded to a new body. All the equipment and augmentations are lost, and the new body needs to be re-cyborgized and what not, but skills and abilities won't be lost.

But I do hope it won't be restricted to just 4 agents in total with 1 of each type, but rather multiple agents that you can field in whatever combinations you want.

edit:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/02/satellite-reign-and-syndicates-simulation-legacy/ posted:

You will be able to upload and download the history and knowledge of your agents and put them in new clones. All the augmentations you’ve stuck into an agent, if he dies and you can’t retrieve the body, that’s what is lost. The levelling up of the agents is where we have this concept of downloading and uploading minds into new agents. An agent can die, but a cloned version will have his talents uploaded to it. The penalty will be that you’ve lost money because you need to redo the augmentation. You will also need to keep the clone bank updated, because you need a high level clone for a high level mind.

Cstar fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 5, 2013

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Darkhold posted:

How does everyone feel about the funding so far? It's been slowish compared to the 'big' kickstarters but pretty fair for one of the lesser known ones. I'm hoping for at least 600k.
I'm slightly worried, but this is the first one I've backed and really followed closely. The few Kickstarters that I have vaguely been aware of in the past have either fallen on their faces or soared to ridiculous funding heights almost immediately. This slow burn is killing me.

Gooble Rampling fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 5, 2013

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gooble Rampling posted:

I'm slightly worried, but this is the first one I've backed and really followed closely. The few Kickstarters that I have vaguely been aware of in the past have either fallen on their faces or soared to ridiculous funding heights almost immediately. This slow burn is killing me.

You and me both :( I know it's still early but man, if this one falls through it'll be a double doosy since I've never backed anything else before too.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Gooble Rampling posted:

Kickstarters are very front and end loaded. Typically you can expect at least the last three days matching the first three days so it's almost definitely going to make its final funding. It's just the stretch goals that are in serious danger I think.

These guys really need to get ahold of some Let's Play youtubers and Twitch TV streams that really made a huge difference to the Stonehearth kickstarter. Reaching out to Obsidian and inXile helped Divinity OS as well it'd be a good idea for them to become part of Kick-it-forward and see if that doesn't help them get an endorsement from those two.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'd love to back this one, but I have some doubts.

• "DRM-Free option will be available to backers" -- Smells like Shadowrun. Yuck.
  • This amount of money is not that great for the goals. If it gets funded in the first place.
  • Is there a megacorporate publisher hiding in the shadows?
  • One agent per class? So you cannot play a team of four hackers? Hope they explain this.
  • What is this business with the currency?
  • The title...

I know the reasons for the last two and they are valid. The first one is probably just my paranoia, since they mention GOG. Any of this just does not make me any more likely to back it.

After Shadowrun I'm super cautious with any Kickstarters... Thanks, Jordan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

No Gravitas posted:

I'd love to back this one, but I have some doubts.

• "DRM-Free option will be available to backers" -- Smells like Shadowrun. Yuck.
  • This amount of money is not that great for the goals. If it gets funded in the first place.
  • Is there a megacorporate publisher hiding in the shadows?
  • One agent per class? So you cannot play a team of four hackers? Hope they explain this.
  • What is this business with the currency?
  • The title...

I know the reasons for the last two and they are valid. The first one is probably just my paranoia, since they mention GOG. Any of this just does not make me any more likely to back it.

After Shadowrun I'm super cautious with any Kickstarters... Thanks, Jordan.

So what is it about the Shadowrun kickstarter that has made you wary?

• Locked thread