Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Nope, no one cares in the thread obsessing over TV delivery mechanisms.

interesting. it is a means of getting streaming TV without a cable subscription, which is what i thought the point of this thread was.

edit: im an idiot.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cornjob posted:

ineresting. it is a means of getting streaming TV without a cable subscription, which is what i thought the point of this thread was.

He was being sarcastic. :ssh:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Mahoning posted:

He was being sarcastic. :ssh:

Forgot the tags again, my b. :v:

e: I like that it is considered "not cable" even though it is a subscription service being served by a cable provider.

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004
fraeulin doesn't like linux/GNOME :(
Plus 35 buck a month is digital cable subscription territory (if you bundle with internet, which you need since it's IPTV), so where are the savings?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Re: FlareTV/ fanhattan.

It's 35 dollars for 70 plus hd channels, and includes 100 hrs of cloud based DVR. Something comparable from cable would cost at least double that, plus cost of DVR, increased power consumption, etc. it's not free, but its way better that what I was paying for cable. 35 bucks is what we were paying for the basic network package (about 15 channels) and a DVR.

It's a tiny little box, so the space saving is nice. The GUI is pretty impressive, and took some getting used to, but my wife and I have the hang of it.

The picture quality is comparable to Netflix. A little compressed looking, but it usually smooths out after about 20 Seconds.

The remote is nifty, but only works via bluetooth. I'd much rather have the basic functions programmed into my universal remote.

The DVR works great, with one exception. You can't pause/rewind live tv. The ability to pause, FF and RW only exists on programs already on the DVR. A little annoying, but I rarely watch live tv anyway. I could see it being annoying when watching sports. I assume this will always be the case with cloud based DVR.

Edit: sales guy at cox says this will be addressed in future FW.

The channel selection is respectable, but there is some stuff missing. No hbo, showtime, etc. the channel I really want is NBC sports, (F1 goon here) but unfortunately it's not there. Hopefully soon.

It does have Turner classic movies, and although not advertised as such, it appears to be the upconverted 480p "TCM HD" feed. It's not hd but it looks way better than the SD channel.

Another big feature missing is any sort of app or online way of setting DVR timers. Only way for set a timer is through the OSD.

Overall, considering I'm getting more and paying less than i was with regular cable, I like it. The minor shortcomings are not deal breakers for me.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 3, 2013

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Since this is based over the Internet, can anyone, including people not in a Cox service area, get signed up for this?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Since this is based over the Internet, can anyone, including people not in a Cox service area, get signed up for this?

eventually. right now its in beta, only for cox customers in OC.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Cornjob posted:

eventually. right now its in beta, only for cox customers in OC.

Is this the future of cable companies? Provide the content to an unlimited number of customers in any geographical region?

The town I grew up in had one cable company (and still does). Satellite was still in its infancy so it was too expensive. For places like this, it could add true competition to many places.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is this the future of cable companies? Provide the content to an unlimited number of customers in any geographical region?

the flare people would like you to think so. Its hard to argue. Its beta, so there a few bugs, but nothing major. Overall, i dont think ive ever been so impressed with a product at beta launch. This thing is remarkably well rounded. After experiencing many products that were VERY half baked (boxee). its amazing to see something that clearly has effort and engineering behind it. I keep waiting for something terrible to happen, because so far its too good to be true.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 3, 2013

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Cornjob posted:

the flare people would like you to think so. Its hard to argue. Its beta, so there a few bugs, but nothing major. Overall, i dont think ive ever been so impressed with a product at beta launch. This thing is remarkably well rounded. After experiencing many products that were VERY half baked (boxee). its amazing to see something that clearly has effort and engineering behind it. I keep waiting for something terrible to happen, because so far its too good to be true.

Heh, skimming through the comments on the Engadget thread, you'd think the exact opposite. Some of the people who claim to have used it make it sound like the most horrible thing ever. One guy even said that if he shipped something this buggy he'd be fired.

Definitely interested to see what you think of it long term, and if I could get my hands on one I'd totally be willing to deal with whatever early adopter headaches exist.

walumachoncha posted:

Plus 35 buck a month is digital cable subscription territory (if you bundle with internet, which you need since it's IPTV), so where are the savings?

Heh, not if you're an AT&T U-Verse subscriber. Even with an internet subscription it's $19/mo for just local channels ($29/mo if you want HD, $44/mo for HD+DVR). The next package is the family tier (kids and news/educational) at $60/mo ($70 for HD). Above that is the minimum tier most people would probably want (the family tier doesn't even include stuff like USA/AMC/FX). You do get $40/mo off for the first year if you bundle the family pack or higher with internet.

As an aside, I think it's interesting that even though U-Verse TV is IPTV in my area, the online ordering system seems to be perfectly happy letting me sign up for just TV without internet.

Time Warner's offerings in my area are a bit better. Digital TV starts at $50/mo bundled, but they also have a couple interesting 'basic TV' bundles. You can bundle basic TV (locals plus TBS and WGN) with 20mbit internet for $20/mo. You can also bundle basic TV with HBO (including HBO GO and On Demand) with 30mbit internet for $25/mo ($38/mo with DVR).

I need to see what my options are for the TV shows I do watch, but I'm strongly considering finally cutting the cord. If I already have a WDTV Live for Netflix/Pandora/YouTube/etc and playing stuff across my home network, what advantages would a Roku have for me besides Amazon Instant? I'd definitely keep the WDTV for playing local content, but I wouldn't have a problem spending the money on a Roku if it's an overall better streaming platform.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

so what's everyone's thoughts on USTVnow on the Roku? The free channels are really good quality, my wife has been a little naggy about getting back cable again, does anyone have an active subscription to them? is the quality on all the channels on par with the free ones?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Photex posted:

so what's everyone's thoughts on USTVnow on the Roku? The free channels are really good quality, my wife has been a little naggy about getting back cable again, does anyone have an active subscription to them? is the quality on all the channels on par with the free ones?
This is interesting - I'd like to hear some experiences as well. It's a little pricey though - $29 per month is verging on Dish prices.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have the Mohu Leaf Ultimate amplified antenna?

I have the original Mohu Leaf Plus amplified antenna and am wondering if the new model is much better with reception.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

This is interesting - I'd like to hear some experiences as well. It's a little pricey though - $29 per month is verging on Dish prices.

i hated my dish when i was with directv, also contracts etc etc. it's 19.99 for the first 3 months so i might give it a whirl.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
How does the Roku fare with 1080p streaming? Would the WDLive be a better device for large 1080p media?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Radio Talmudist posted:

How does the Roku fare with 1080p streaming? Would the WDLive be a better device for large 1080p media?
Hasn't been any problems for me. Really depends on your connection, and the roku3 does have an ethernet port but I've been fine with mine on wireless.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I'm annoyed by paying for my Xbox Live, and I think I'll save $40/year and just buy a set-top box to watch Netflix/Hulu.

How are the interfaces on a Roku LT/HD? Are they mature and quick enough, or is it clunky?

Has anyone else switched over? Any feedback?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Skychrono posted:

I'm annoyed by paying for my Xbox Live, and I think I'll save $40/year and just buy a set-top box to watch Netflix/Hulu.

How are the interfaces on a Roku LT/HD? Are they mature and quick enough, or is it clunky?

Has anyone else switched over? Any feedback?
Personally, I thought the interfaces on my mom's Roku for all apps were pretty lovely. I really wish they would hire someone with a good sense for UI. I really need to stop being lazy and see what my options are for XBMC for those applications.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Personally, I thought the interfaces on my mom's Roku for all apps were pretty lovely. I really wish they would hire someone with a good sense for UI. I really need to stop being lazy and see what my options are for XBMC for those applications.

The new Roku UI is supposed to be really good. It was initially only available for the Roku 3, but it has since been pushed to (I think all of) the Roku models from the prior generation.

More info: http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/05/roku-3-goes-on-sale-tomorrow-for-99-with-upgraded-cpu-and-a-new/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

upsciLLion posted:

The new Roku UI is supposed to be really good. It was initially only available for the Roku 3, but it has since been pushed to (I think all of) the Roku models from the prior generation.

More info: http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/05/roku-3-goes-on-sale-tomorrow-for-99-with-upgraded-cpu-and-a-new/
Oh yeah - the Roku UI looks fine. It's the UI for the apps that looks like poo poo. They don't look anything like the Roku's UI and some of them are a nightmare to navigate.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I am in a conundrum. I am cancelling Comcast in the nest few days. I was pricing FiOS out for my internet provider and they want $84.99 a month if I do not sign a contract. That gets me 50/25 Mbps service. The thing now is for $5 more per month I can get their TV. I can get the 50/25Mbps for $59.99/month if I sign a 2 year contract. For streaming purposes do I need the 50Mbps down or would 15Mbps be sufficient?

That sure is making it hard to invest in the HD antenna, Roku, Netflix, and Hulu Plus.

Suggestions?

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 11, 2013

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Doomsday Jesus posted:

For streaming purposes do I need the 50Mbps down or would 15Mbps be sufficient?

How many people are sharing your connection? How many TVs do you want to be able to stream to simultaneously? Do you want to torrent at the same time? Netflix HD is 2.3 GB/hour, so 15Mbit is more than enough for one or two streams.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

goku chewbacca posted:

How many people are sharing your connection? How many TVs do you want to be able to stream to simultaneously? Do you want to torrent at the same time? Netflix HD is 2.3 GB/hour, so 15Mbit is more than enough for one or two streams.

We'd be using 1 TV for streaming. Our phones will be connected via wifi, but not streaming. And we have 1 laptop I use for browsing and for gaming.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh yeah - the Roku UI looks fine. It's the UI for the apps that looks like poo poo. They don't look anything like the Roku's UI and some of them are a nightmare to navigate.

Ah gotcha, totally agree.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
So, after seeing that my next cable/phone/internet bill was going to be $190, I decided it was time to end it all. I called up Comcast, and the best they could do was to get me down to about $150 - $10 less than I was paying previously, but the damage was done. I took the offer but decided to make a change. I'm moving from Sprint to Ting, so I'll be saving around $100 per month on the cell bill, so I'm in a mindset to save money.

I started off by buying an Ooma - my mom has been using one for a month now, and it's working well. I decided to keep Internet through Comcast ($75) but drop phone and cable. Now the big decision - do I keep cable? In looking at some of the lower tier Dish options, $25 seems pretty reasonable, but that requires a two-year contract and the price goes up after one year. In addition, when trying to find out if I would even be able to use Dish due to the height of the trees bordering my property, I was told that I'd have to first sign up for a contract and that "the installer would make it work." Really? I need to sign a two-year contract for something I don't even know will work? What the hell?

So that left me with one other option - U-verse. One year plan, $100 per month for 28Mbps down and 200 channels, four tuner DVR (2 SD, 2 HD), $150 in debit cards, and, best of all, a free 30 day trial.

So I'm going to give it a shot - I know this is the "Cutting cable" thread, but I figure for $25 extra, I'm willing to keep cable if I can cut my bill almost in half. Is anyone interested in commentary regarding how the install and day-to-day of U-verse goes? I don't get the service installed until the 27th, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can really post anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

berzerkmonkey posted:

So, after seeing that my next cable/phone/internet bill was going to be $190, I decided it was time to end it all. I called up Comcast, and the best they could do was to get me down to about $150 - $10 less than I was paying previously, but the damage was done. I took the offer but decided to make a change. I'm moving from Sprint to Ting, so I'll be saving around $100 per month on the cell bill, so I'm in a mindset to save money.

I started off by buying an Ooma - my mom has been using one for a month now, and it's working well. I decided to keep Internet through Comcast ($75) but drop phone and cable. Now the big decision - do I keep cable? In looking at some of the lower tier Dish options, $25 seems pretty reasonable, but that requires a two-year contract and the price goes up after one year. In addition, when trying to find out if I would even be able to use Dish due to the height of the trees bordering my property, I was told that I'd have to first sign up for a contract and that "the installer would make it work." Really? I need to sign a two-year contract for something I don't even know will work? What the hell?

So that left me with one other option - U-verse. One year plan, $100 per month for 28Mbps down and 200 channels, four tuner DVR (2 SD, 2 HD), $150 in debit cards, and, best of all, a free 30 day trial.

So I'm going to give it a shot - I know this is the "Cutting cable" thread, but I figure for $25 extra, I'm willing to keep cable if I can cut my bill almost in half. Is anyone interested in commentary regarding how the install and day-to-day of U-verse goes? I don't get the service installed until the 27th, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can really post anything.

Put an antenna on your roof.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Put an antenna on your roof.
Honestly, I don't think it would do a whole lot. The coverage in our area is pretty bad. Also, since most of the shows we like to watch are not on broadcast tv, an antenna is kind of worthless.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

berzerkmonkey posted:

Does Comcast offer Blast Plus! where you live? For us, $80 gets 50mbps internet service + 45 channels of tv (fairly decent selection actually, has comedy central, AMC, A&E, etc) , certainly worth the extra $5 a month since OTA antenna was really spotty.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Maneki Neko posted:

Does Comcast offer Blast Plus! where you live? For us, $80 gets 50mbps internet service + 45 channels of tv (fairly decent selection actually, has comedy central, AMC, A&E, etc) , certainly worth the extra $5 a month since OTA antenna was really spotty.

Yeah I just went to Blast Plus a week and a half ago, you really ought to consider it. It might be because we have a competitor cable co in town, but the guy gave me HBO for a year and cut the "HD technology" fee. Lost a ton of channels no one in the house watched, but still have ESPN HD even though all the sports are supposed to be gone - that will be fine for the couple Sunday Night Football games I might watch. I also discovered that I can watch some of the shows from channels that are not part of the package via the Xbox app (Continuum from SYFY and Ghost Adventures from Travel Channel are all I've tried so far.)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Coffee Wolf posted:

Yeah I just went to Blast Plus a week and a half ago, you really ought to consider it. It might be because we have a competitor cable co in town, but the guy gave me HBO for a year and cut the "HD technology" fee. Lost a ton of channels no one in the house watched, but still have ESPN HD even though all the sports are supposed to be gone - that will be fine for the couple Sunday Night Football games I might watch. I also discovered that I can watch some of the shows from channels that are not part of the package via the Xbox app (Continuum from SYFY and Ghost Adventures from Travel Channel are all I've tried so far.)

Yeah, we noticed the same about the Xbox app, it can pull a number of channels that we don't get, and almost fills in the gaps of stuff we cared about from the old package we had.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Not that I know of - is it something offered to new subscribers? I asked retentions for the cheapest option and this was not one of them.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not that I know of - is it something offered to new subscribers? I asked retentions for the cheapest option and this was not one of them.

It's available to both new and existing customers where I live.

http://www.comcast.com/internet-service.html

It's cheaper for the first 12 months for new customers. Retentions didn't offer it to me either, I had to explicitly ask for it.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
following up on my earlier posts about Flare / Fanhattan. (http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/29/cox-flarewatch-iptv/)

After living with it for a while, im sticking with it.

Keeping in mind that its still in beta; it has these issues to sort out:

Occasional crashes when navigating the menu. Only takes about 15 seconds to recover.
Occasionally no picture after selecting a channel, only way to recover is a reboot, takes about 30 seconds.

Other than that, its working great, Ive talked to their tech support and theyre aware of the issues, and expect firmware updates soon.

My wife and I are not channel surfers, and 90% of our viewing is DVR. If someone want this to be channel surfing device, it may dissapoint, because it takes about 10 seconds to change channels (comparable to netflix)

So im paying $35 per month for nearly 100 HD channels, and DVR. Comparably, this was about $70 from comcast, plus the cost of DVR. Im sure my power bill will go down a few bucks, because i dont have a cable box with spinning hard drive anymore.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm hoping this is the best place to ask. Has anyone figured out a way to direct sound to different outputs in Windows?

My desktop is hooked up to my monitor and to the TV. My wife watches Netflix / Hulu etc while I try to play games on the PC. Has anyone figured out a solution?

Before anyone asks - I don't want to purchase another Roku because alot of the Hulu content is not available on Roku - only on the web. Looking for an option while still using the PC.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I don't think it's possible to do what you're trying to do with a dual display PC.

Plex Server supports Hulu, Netflix, and other streaming services. Plex Server plus Plex channel on a Roku may work for you, since its possible that the Plex service may not identify itself as a mobile/standalone device to Hulu. I'll try at home this weekend and update you later.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Pretty soon I'm getting my first TV in 10 years, and I want to be able to watch just the basic cable channels in HD. I just moved to Manhattan and (sadly) have Time Warner for internet, but I'd rather not have to pay an extra $10-20 a month for just a few channels. Given that my living room windows have a direct view of the Empire State Building, will this provide what I'm looking for?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It should. It picks up nearly everything that's not a VHF signal (and if you're living in Manhattan, even that shouldn't be a problem). You can go to Antennaweb.org to verify.

The only hitch might be how high up your apartment is. But with a direct view of the ESB, it shouldn't be an issue.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Anyone else with a roku who dislikes the Netflix channel?

I have a roku 3 and I love Netflix, except on here. It takes forever to load the episode screen. There is no auto play for the next episode. When I click to choose another episode, it takes forever. I usually end up having to go to the home screen and then back to Netflix just to watch the next episode.

Anyone else having this issue?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I haven't had that yet.

I just returned the Netgear NeoTV Prime for a Roku 3. Overall I like it but I drastically prefer a keyboard for entry. The Roku 3 is physically and graphically MUCH more polished than previous Roku, and basically all set top boxes, just from a nitpicky design standpoint. Good materials and material finishes in the tooling.

I'm getting used to it, the thing I love is the headphones in the remote. Fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Not an Anthem posted:

I'm getting used to it, the thing I love is the headphones in the remote. Fantastic.
This was the main feature that made me buy the Roku 3 when I was picking out a box. It's such a brilliant and useful feature and I'm surprised it took so long for someone to do it.