Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Really not digging this Nero character. Hope he gets killed soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I feel like it's a matter of when, not if. Of course, I'd have said the same about a lot of your party members in Drakengard 1 and almost all of them lived until the very end of the game.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Following up, here are the keyword breakdowns:

quote:

KEYWORD 1: DRAGONS
-Dragons may seem to have male or female-like traits or personalities, but are asexual as a race.
-There are no ways to determine their ages. Some are said to be over 10,000 years old, but this is only an estimate.
-A dragon's weak point is generally the area under its chins. Two well-placed arrows can end up doing a lot of damage; if these arrows are somehow magically enhanced, they could even prove deadly.
-Elf blood is a poison that nullifies a dragon's strength. In the game, the Empire killed many elves for their blood to combat Caim's Red Dragon.

KEYWORD 2: RED EYES
-It is unknown how the Red Eye sickness originated. It appears to be contagious, but no one is sure how it spreads. The incubation time is unknown as well.
-It would appear that strong feelings trigger the diseases's manifestation in humans.
-It's defining symptom is the changing of eye color to red. It also dulls senses of pain as well as basic reasoning, making it hard for the infected to speak. Fervent religious types are especially prone to it.
-May or may not be related to the outbreak that took place in modern Tokyo as depicted in Nier.

KEYWORD 3: WATCHERS
-"Speak not the Watchers, Draw not the Watchers, Write not the Watchers, Sculpt no the Watchers, Sing not the Watchers, Call not the Watcher's name…". These are the six commandants of the mysterious Cult of Watchers, whose followers all suffer from the Red Eye sickness.
-The meaning of these commandments is not that it would be sacrilege to depict the Watchers, but rather that even doing nothing, belief (or rather, infection) will naturally spread.
-The symbol of the Cult, "The Three-eyed Twins" is not a depiction of the Watchers themselves, but of a person involved in the formation of the Cult.

KEYWORD 4: CAERLEON
-Caerleon is a small kingdom to the east. While small, the land is fertile, and capable of supporting its people without need to conquer other lands.
-On a real map of Europe, Caerleon would be situated somewhere between Poland, Hungary and Slovakia.
-Caerleon was very close to the Goddesses' Castle, enough that you could travel between the two in a horse-drawn carriage. This made it easy for King Gaap and the former Goddess, Asheena, to carry on an affair.

KEYWORD 5: CAIM
-Protagonist of Drakengard and Prince of Caerleon. After the destruction of his country at the hands of the Empire, he joins the Union and begins to live for revenge. At the beginning of the game he makes a pact with the Red Dragon.
-Caim's father Gaap is the eighth king of Caerleon and is known for being the most skilled swordsman among them. He instructed Caim so that the Prince was not only skilled with the sword, but all kinds of weapons.
-Caim is a Taurus, born in May, and his blood-type is AB.

dazat fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 6, 2013

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You know, it seems like they're trying too hard to be grim and crazy; this reads like something a middle schooler would post on DeviantArt. Drakengard and Nier were at their best when the horror wasn't immediately apparent, or at least it was subtly mentioned off-screen so we could hit the horrifying realization as time went on, while Drakengard 3 is basically looking to be "RAPE SEX MURDER RAPEMURDER RAPERAPE MURDERRAPE SEXSEXSEX GEE WHIZ LOOK AT ALL THE RAPEMURDERSEX also a dragon AND MORE SEXMURDERRAPE LOOK AT HOW loving EDGY THIS IS."

Where are all the carnivorous electric-winged giant cannibal babies from space? That's the kind of hosed-up I was hoping for. Sure, Drakengard had a repentant pedophile, a baby-eating crazy elf lady, a racist bald guy, a necrophiliac, and a mass-murdering mute sociopath, and Nier had a hermaphroditic swordswoman and an eternally youthful lich who had a gay crush on the main character, but they didn't actually show the extent of their fuckedupedness, instead just hinting at it through bits and pieces of dialogue while the real crazy action went down.

Sure, Kainé may have had extra parts, but that wasn't the total extent of her character, she didn't spend the entire game yelling about being intersexed at the top of her lungs at every possible opportunity. Sure, Emil had a guycrush on Nier, but he didn't lust after him constantly as it wasn't the whole of his character. The weirdness was background, a subtle discomfort that added to the story's general air -- these characters had their own issues, but they had motivations beyond those issues, and their characters had a considerable amount of depth. In fact, I think it's fair to say Nier had one of the best, most richly developed supporting cast of any game since Planescape: Torment.

Drakengard wasn't exactly subtle with its characterization, and its characters had as much depth as a sheet of paper, but it had the decency not to literally show Arioch gnawing into a rotting elf baby or Leonard having "quality time" with his "little brothers" before the Empire pincushioned the lot of them or Furiae constantly whining about how much she wants to get to "know" Caim. "Subtle" isn't a word to used to describe Drakengard, but at least it kept the horrifying details purely in the background to focus on what's truly important: Killing the same four enemies over and over and over and over and over again until the voices in Caim's head told him he could open the next weapon chest.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 6, 2013

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
Drakengard 3 localisation petition. Show your support people!

This petition was posted on dod3's twitter so they know about it.

Nyagato fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 6, 2013

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I agree wholeheartedly about them overplaying their hand with the dark storyline. At some point, it begins to lose its impact and becomes a mockery of itself.

It's OK for the shopkeeper to just be a shopkeeper. She didn't have to watch her father get torn apart by razorwolves who then proceeded to rape her mother and devour her siblings. She doesn't need to be fashioning a sword from their bones that will one day end up in the hands of a genocidal madman to mow down an orphanage full of children (sex slave children, naturally). She can just sell poo poo and have that be the end of it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Almost Smart posted:

I agree wholeheartedly about them overplaying their hand with the dark storyline. At some point, it begins to lose its impact and becomes a mockery of itself.

It's OK for the shopkeeper to just be a shopkeeper. She didn't have to watch her father get torn apart by razorwolves who then proceeded to rape her mother and devour her siblings. She doesn't need to be fashioning a sword from their bones that will one day end up in the hands of a genocidal madman to mow down an orphanage full of children (sex slave children, naturally). She can just sell poo poo and have that be the end of it.

Hold on, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. If the sword she's making is one we can pick up and use in-game, then her story can be as chock-full of murderape as can be imagined and then some... provided we get to read the story once we level the sword to max!

Boneraper posted:

There was once a friendly shopkeep. "Hello," her customers would say to her. "Hello," she would reply with a sunny smile. They bought her wares and marveled at her cheerfulness.

But little did the villagers know she had a secret: in her cellar were the slaughtered corpses of her family, their bones stripped of flesh and shaped into a sword to avenge their murder at the hands of a tribe of bandits. When the shopkeep finally finished her masterpieces, she took it into her hands and killed every man, woman, and child in the village. In her vengeance-blinded mind they had all become bandits and her lust for blood knew no bounds. She also raped a few of them, because she needed the extra vengeance to get through the day. She was also actually a guy.

And then a demon appeared and made her kill herself with her own weapon because why not.

Drakengard!

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 6, 2013

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I find myself getting pretty confused about all these character names. We seem to have two different people named One (manga and game, Zero's sister?) since they seem to be polar opposites, and I think those summaries got people mixed up too.

These don't have anything to do with the game though, right? If this is just some side crap then it doesn't bother me that much, since it hasn't really been that long since Nier. I doubt Taro Yoko has gone from one to hack that quickly.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Yeah it's dark, but I don't find it intolerable or overly juvenile. Maybe all this Drakengard has perverted my senses or something. That or I've been reading too much Berserk lately.

Momomo posted:

I find myself getting pretty confused about all these character names. We seem to have two different people named One (manga and game, Zero's sister?) since they seem to be polar opposites, and I think those summaries got people mixed up too.

These don't have anything to do with the game though, right? If this is just some side crap then it doesn't bother me that much, since it hasn't really been that long since Nier. I doubt Taro Yoko has gone from one to hack that quickly.

There are two Ones. I think they were trying to make you think they were the same character, but now it's looking less likely that they are (especially since manga One has been revealed to be a guy).

The manga has been described as a prequel to the game (although it seems to take place later chronologically) and I'm pretty sure Taro is involved with the story. I don't know how canon it is tho and I doubt you have to read it to enjoy the game.

In general it seems like the trend is that in the game the themes are understated and then the staff goes crazy in the supplementary material. That was def. the case with Nier vs. Grimore Nier and the Nier Drama CD, both of which went some pretty comparably grimdark places.

dazat fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 6, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

This is all mostly just fluff on expanded universe bullshit, I really doubt it's going to get to that manga level of grimdark ultra violence in the actual game on screen.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'd agree with you guys on Drakengard trying too hard if we saw all this stuff in game.
But we're not. We're seeing it in the manga, and in the short novels. This seems more like the equivalent of what we found in the weapon stories, rather than the cutscenes, and the content in the weapon stories also "tried too hard" in this manner.

Edit - Beaten to it.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 6, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sure, Emil had a guycrush on Nier,

I can't remember this either :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Emil kinda follows Nier around like a puppy for the brief period of time between when they first meet and when he realizes how much cooler Kaine is. I believe Grimoire Nier outright says that he actually liked Nier in that way but that's again EU fluff stuff.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Policenaut posted:

Emil kinda follows Nier around like a puppy for the brief period of time between when they first meet and when he realizes how much cooler Kaine is. I believe Grimoire Nier outright says that he actually liked Nier in that way but that's again EU fluff stuff.

He also makes a statement near the end of the game relating to his thing for Nier (during the wedding in Facade). Grimoire Nier just confirms that the intent of that line was to show Emil loved Nier.

It was probably clearer in the Japanese version like most things wound up being.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 6, 2013

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Momomo posted:

I'm getting the feeling that the point of the manga is to sort of connect the timeline between the first game and 3. Some details that will become relevant once we've played 3 will probably be revealed through the "fake" One, and of course we now have some more context and backstory for Drakengard, what with the reveal of Manah's probable ancestry and a glimpse at Caim and Furiae's lives before everything went wrong.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sure, Drakengard had a repentant pedophile

Leonard wasn't exactly 'repentant'. It was really more an extreme case of survivor's guilt. That's why he was (unsuccessfully) trying to kill himself when we first meet him: he wasn't sorry for being a horrible child-molesting monster, he was sorry he didn't die with them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's really important to stress that Japanese sidestory manga/light novel bullshit rarely has a significant impact on the final product and often can be completely different in style or tone. That doesn't necessarily mean Drakengard 3 won't follow through on this poo poo (especially because the game characters we know so far are largely the protagonist's harem) but it doesn't necessarily mean it will either.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Yeah, this manga is stupid (and not in a good Drakengard way). I'm just going to ignore it and hope it doesn't rub off on the actual game; the dude who's writing it isn't involved in development in any way, after all.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Gaseous Snake posted:

I started Nier last April and finally gotten around to playing it. I've only gotten to the first fight with Kaine and the two kids upgraded my weapon. Does the combat get any better? Am I supposed to use something specific whenever the circle appears above a boss? Are sub quests required? All that aside, the music's great.

Some version of this gets posted every few pages but I'll post it again for you because (unless you're going for trophies/achievements) this is a pretty important thing to follow:

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Miijhal posted:

He also makes a statement near the end of the game relating to his thing for Nier (during the wedding in Facade). Grimoire Nier just confirms that the intent of that line was to show Emil loved Nier.

It was probably clearer in the Japanese version like most things wound up being.
I think it was clearer (that is, present at all) in the Japanese, but even in the Grimoire the question is worded more like, "Did Emil inherit his sister's feminine feelings and that's where the line comes from?" and Yoko Taro has to clarify, "What? No, he's just gay." So (a bit surprisingly) it was actually treated with subtlety and tact in the context of the game.

ImpAtom posted:

It's really important to stress that Japanese sidestory manga/light novel bullshit rarely has a significant impact on the final product and often can be completely different in style or tone. That doesn't necessarily mean Drakengard 3 won't follow through on this poo poo (especially because the game characters we know so far are largely the protagonist's harem) but it doesn't necessarily mean it will either.
I'm guessing this is the situation, yeah. They're getting all the extracurricular craziness out of the way early (instead of releasing an artbook later) because this is the kind of crazy The Fans have come to expect out of the series. The game itself is probably going to be a lot less openly brutal and batshit. I mean yeah there's a game mechanic where coating yourself in the blood of your enemies makes you sing better, but the ridiculous levels of GRIMDARKRAPEMURDER will likely (hopefully) be more in line with the original Drakengard.

Hopefully.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

NonsenseWords posted:

I mean yeah there's a game mechanic where coating yourself in the blood of your enemies makes you sing better, but the ridiculous levels of GRIMDARKRAPEMURDER will likely (hopefully) be more in line with the original Drakengard.

Hopefully.

Pining for the halcyon days of drakengard back before things got all weird is pretty much the last thing I ever expected to see.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That the main character of the game is a murderous goddess trying to kill the other goddesses that keep the peace in the world, and also her party consists of boytoys collected from the other goddesses could be interpreted as commentary on typical fantasy conventions and is kind of clever if that is actually what they are going for.

This manga is just stupid.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Rereading the Drakengard LP that was done back in late '09.

Christ, this really is awful. :psyduck:

Have they mentioned yet who's doing the music for Drakengard 3? Because I don't think I could actually play a game that sounds like the first one. Maybe this is precisely what they were going for, but it's actively nerve-wracking to listen to, and not in the cool way like Silent Hill and stuff.

I'm having visions of a special hell where you're stuck in perpetual rush hour traffic with a busted AC and the Drakengard soundtrack playing at full volume.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mazed posted:

Have they mentioned yet who's doing the music for Drakengard 3?

Keiichi Okabe, the guy who composed the OST for Nier is confirmed to be Drakengard 3's Composer as well.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Hymirvetr posted:

Keiichi Okabe, the guy who composed the OST for Nier is confirmed to be Drakengard 3's Composer as well.

gently caress. Yes.

Seriously, this is fantastic. Hopefully they can get the woman who did the vocals for Nier in there somewhere, even though they haven't got the sisters to ground that musical motif in the setting.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Glad to hear they're going with Keiichi Okabe as the NIER soundtrack was masterful. Still, I did like Drakengard's more chaotic soundtrack and wouldn't mind more of it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Drakengard's soundtrack is an acquired taste. I abhorred it at first, but it adds a lot to the broken atmosphere of the game and is just perfect to have in the background if you are reading a horror book or roleplaying Call of Cthulhu or something.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Drakengard's soundtrack works incredibly well when you're playing the game. Just this oppressive wall of noise that steadily becomes more fractured and unsettling as you progress. It's the strongest force that game has for establishing its tone.

Stygi
Oct 12, 2012

Mazed posted:

Have they mentioned yet who's doing the music for Drakengard 3? Because I don't think I could actually play a game that sounds like the first one. Maybe this is precisely what they were going for, but it's actively nerve-wracking to listen to, and not in the cool way like Silent Hill and stuff.

I'm having visions of a special hell where you're stuck in perpetual rush hour traffic with a busted AC and the Drakengard soundtrack playing at full volume.
One starts to enjoy the soundtrack after the first 30 minutes or so of play. I actually listen to it fairly regularly now. The fact that the soundtrack was almost nothing but chaotic dissonance accounts for much of Drakengard's memorability, and I hoped that the original composers for Drakengard would return, but Keiichi Okabe is fine too.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
It's an acquired taste but I think Drakengard's soundtrack is amazing. It's both exciting and bleak and really accounts for the moments when the game actually pulls off its mood. And Growing Wings is a legitimitley great song.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Keiichi Okabe's take on Growing Wings was posted a few pages back. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nZPNldFvaw

It's absolutely gorgeous, just the right kind of dissonant and builds up into the kind of exhaustingly-repetitive-yet-beautiful stuff that made up the better parts of Drakengard's soundtrack. I have no doubts that Okabe is going to nail it with Drakengard 3.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
That's probably the best version of the track yet.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It still manages to freak me the hell out. It's unsettling me on an almost unconscious level.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Oh god when it starts going all broken-electrical-appliance at 2:40 or so... this guy has it down. Even if this game sucks This game is going to suck but the soundtrack will be awesome.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Nier has been sitting on my shelf for ages, I always knew it was an underrated fringe title I was eventually going to get around to playing, but I had no idea how underrated it really was.

Everything about it is amazing, even the sub par graphics and sidequests, which are obviously the weaker aspects, just became so endearing.

I recall someone earlier in the thread posted that Nier, despite its rough package has this soul to it that few games ever manage, I can't help but agree. (Ironic considering the subject matter of its story)

My only complaint is that the endings, all 4, are weak sauce, completely anticlimactic considering the scale of the previous bosses, and explained very little about the mystery of the world or characters.

This is such a shame in contrast to Drakengard which was an inexcusably lovely game that eventually culminated into endings that were so crazy they almost redeemed it....almost.

After Nier I decided to brave Drakenguard, I even went the effort with emulation, HD, 60fps, even threw in a widescreen hack.....it, didn't help. After two chapters I just went through darkids LP. I didn't know how bad it was.

I didn't know.... :negative:

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Monomythian posted:

My only complaint is that the endings, all 4, are weak sauce, completely anticlimactic considering the scale of the previous bosses, and explained very little about the mystery of the world or characters.

If you haven't already, read the summaries/translations of the supplementary stuff Cavia produced (Grimoire Nier and the two drama CDs) linked at the bottom of the OP. It's crazy how ambitious they were, and I don't think they could have fit it all into the game without the quality of the game suffering for it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Monomythian posted:

After Nier I decided to brave Drakenguard, I even went the effort with emulation, HD, 60fps, even threw in a widescreen hack.....it, didn't help. After two chapters I just went through darkids LP. I didn't know how bad it was.

I didn't know.... :negative:

Play on Easy.

No, really. Playing on Easy makes the game a lot more fun because people die a lot quicker. There's less variety of powerups from killchains, sure, but it makes the game get to the point a lot faster. Any weapons that aren't from chapters 1-8 aren't available on Easy, but most of those are easy to remove from your field of vision with Arioch's hyper destructo-magic.

...Now, the air battles that require Normal mode, those are indefensibly just way too hard in a bad way, but :v:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

sleeptalker posted:

If you haven't already, read the summaries/translations of the supplementary stuff Cavia produced (Grimoire Nier and the two drama CDs) linked at the bottom of the OP. It's crazy how ambitious they were, and I don't think they could have fit it all into the game without the quality of the game suffering for it.

What they should have done for Loop 3 is have all the shades drop the timeline notes and documents that are found in Grimoire Nier, then the player would still have plenty of additional content to find, similar to Loop 2. Pretty easy fix really, the player gets a ton of backstory or cut content with very little effort required on behalf of the dev team.

alcharagia posted:

Playing on Easy makes the game a lot more fun because people die a lot quicker. There's less variety of powerups from killchains, sure, but it makes the game get to the point a lot faster. Any weapons that aren't from chapters 1-8 aren't available on Easy, but most of those are easy to remove from your field of vision with Arioch's hyper destructo-magic.

...Now, the air battles that require Normal mode, those are indefensibly just way too hard in a bad way, but :v:

I hate mindless Dynasty Warrior army slaughter games, and Drakengard is a like a bad one of those, I got everything I wanted from the game in the LP anyway. Although I am cautiously optimistic about Drakengard 3 having passable gameplay with a return to levels of crazy found in Drakengard 1.

A game where you play as an albino promiscuous psychopathic bionic songstress goddess thing with flowers growing from her eyes while riding a dragon sounds like such a clusterfuck that even if its bad it might be good.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I don't know how anyone could find Ending D of NIER "weaksauce." It's one of the best endings I've ever come across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

It's not that ending D is bad, it's just the final boss as a whole was anticlimactic, and I did not feel there was enough there at the end to justify cutting it into 4 parts, because Nier only has 2 endings in a narrative sense.

Really all the events should have happened in just two endings, A/C and B/D.

Nier kills Shadowlord, has the conversation with Yonah by the window (Ending A, always happens)

Shadowlord morns the loss of his comrades but is reunited with gestalt Yonah in his memories/afterlife (Ending B, always happens),

Kaine walks away but starts to turn into a shade and Nier must kill her (Ending C, Ending 1) Or sacrifice himself to save her. (Ending D, Ending 2).

Contrast that with Drakengard, which clearly had the content to spread itself across multiple endings. There you are going back, changing the events leading up to finale causing the player to battle different epic bosses and either save or doom the world in distinctly different ways.

Thats why I say Niers endings felt a bit weak as a whole, not that they were bad, they just seem unnecessarily fractured.

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 11, 2013

• Locked thread