Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

alg posted:

As a trekkie, it's pretty weird to see a team just go from planet to planet loving poo poo up instead of observing a Prime Directive.

I imagine it must be like going through life with no experience of music beyond on-hold/elevator tracks, and then one day, out of the blue, someone plays Led Zeppelin for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Rhyno posted:

What the hell is this?

Probably one of the many images of the failed SG1/SGA game that we were supposed to get all those years ago. That FPS or whatever the gently caress that was gonna be loving awesome but :supaburn: MONEY PROBLEMS :supaburn:.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

DirtyRobot posted:

** and speaking of Vancouver, I think it has that whatever-the-place-is that's the temple of the final five in Battlestar Galactica.

The Orpheum Theatre has been in a lot of shows.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

The Dark One posted:

The Orpheum Theatre has been in a lot of shows.

I meant The Temple of Hopes / Temple of Five, apparently "an abandoned potash silo within the British Columbia railyards."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

What the hell is this?

Deviantart :yayclod:

JetsGuy posted:

Probably one of the many images of the failed SG1/SGA game that we were supposed to get all those years ago. That FPS or whatever the gently caress that was gonna be loving awesome but :supaburn: MONEY PROBLEMS :supaburn:.

Still waiting to play that Teal`c FPS game :colbert:

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 9, 2013

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Rocksicles posted:

This game would need to have a button reserved for saying "Indeed."

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
All this talk of ST alums gating around, and no mention of the leader of the Genii :saddowns:

Or Michael :argh:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Vorgen posted:

This game would need to have a button reserved for saying "Indeed."

Like how the 50 Cent games have a swearing button.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Rocksicles posted:

That episode was actually a tease for the game I was talking about. IT changed a lot over time, but that episode was actually basically done as an advertisement of sorts.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Conquistador posted:

All this talk of ST alums gating around, and no mention of the leader of the Genii :saddowns:

Or Michael :argh:

Good actors, BAD PARTS. Also, the best game with the best superfluous action button is Farcry 3 Blood Dragon, with a middle finger button.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

Good actors, BAD PARTS. Also, the best game with the best superfluous action button is Farcry 3 Blood Dragon, with a middle finger button.

Didn't that Scarface game have a swearing button that was context-sensitive, as in it would offer specific invectives based on where you were aiming at an enemy?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

McSpanky posted:

Didn't that Scarface game have a swearing button that was context-sensitive, as in it would offer specific invectives based on where you were aiming at an enemy?

Yup. Every kill raised a rage meter, with taunts giving you a bonus. Once you topped out the meter, you could hold the taunt button to be invincible for a few seconds, hurling bullets and obscenities at an equal rate of fire.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The episode where Carter and O'Neill end up in Antarctica was great :allears:. I didn't see that coming at all. I love how close the team is already, with Carter going back to die with O'neill and Teal'c going on crazy missions to find them.

Edit: and now an alternate timeline episode. This show has my number

alg fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 10, 2013

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

alg posted:

The episode where Carter and O'Neill end up in Antarctica was great :allears:. I didn't see that coming at all. I love how close the team is already, with Carter going back to die with O'neill and Teal'c going on crazy missions to find them.

I think you mean an ice planet :colbert:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

alg posted:

The outtakes from that episode were awesome. :allears:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GodFish posted:

I think you mean an ice planet :colbert:

Antarctica, they rescued by Hammonmd. They think they are on another planet.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Rocksicles posted:

I think you mean Hammond of Texas :colbert:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Rocksicles posted:

:thejoke:

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Lol @ Carter assuming the planet was entirely covered in ice by briefly looking outside.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

vandelay industries posted:

Lol @ Carter assuming the planet was entirely covered in ice by briefly looking outside.

Unless Carter doesn't know the Southern sky at all, the more "realism in my Stargate" moment was why the gently caress didn't Carter recognize the stars?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

I've been doing a rewatch, and there actually seems to be a vague implication that most of the planets they encounter actually are really, really small, for whatever reason. I guess it's as a means to explain away or justify common sci fi tropes, namely 1) the lack of climate diversity (i.e., the reason why Carter thought she was on an "ice planet"; I think she actually mentions her reasoning in the episode, when I think O'Neill points out that maybe they're just in a really cold part of the planet), and 2) the bizarrely small scale of the populations or culture of many of the planets they encounter.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I think it was mentioned in passing at some point that the vast majority of stargates are located in Temperate zones*, and to start with the majority of stargated planets are intentionally Earth-like unless some sort of catastrophic event or climate change has altered them since they were seeded. I suppose that if you came through the gate into ice then there would be a fairly big probability that it is actually an ice planet.

*other planets aren't capable of continental drift, you see :eng101:

twoot fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 10, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

vandelay industries posted:

Fifty years ago, dread trooper scouts landed in a swamp on our planet, and for some reason didn't bother exploring anywhere else. If they had gone one mile to the left, they would have found some beautiful beachfront condos. But they didn't. And now we're "The Swamp Planet".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S84W8maXZ0Q

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Watched the Moebius two-parter last night. After all that work changing history and getting it back the normal:

"I thought your pond didn't have any fish."
"Ehh. Close enough."

Rocksicles posted:

Woosh.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

JetsGuy posted:

Unless Carter doesn't know the Southern sky at all, the more "realism in my Stargate" moment was why the gently caress didn't Carter recognize the stars?

It was daytime, wasn't it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Effingham posted:

It was daytime, wasn't it?

Not to mention they came through an unfamiliar Gate. As far as Carter knew, there was one Gate on Earth, this clearly isn't the SGC's, so they must have come out somewhere else in the network, she has no reason to even be looking for our constellations.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Some familiar faces

And, uh...

And another!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Not to mention they came through an unfamiliar Gate. As far as Carter knew, there was one Gate on Earth, this clearly isn't the SGC's, so they must have come out somewhere else in the network, she has no reason to even be looking for our constellations.

Was there some explanation given as to why Carter didn't try any other planet than Earth? I mean, they must have known at least one temperate and friendly planet by that point in the series right? Few places could be as bad as Antarctica.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Was there some explanation given as to why Carter didn't try any other planet than Earth? I mean, they must have known at least one temperate and friendly planet by that point in the series right? Few places could be as bad as Antarctica.
No. Carter just assumed the DHD was broken.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PittTheElder posted:

I don't even know how she'd know how to dial Earth without knowing the point of origin... or what any of the other symbols would be as the address would always be completely different based on where you were. I guess they just threw the dialing mechanics out the window when it became tiresome to explain how they always know the addresses to get around in every situation.

They threw out a lot of mechanics out of convenience it seems like. The frost on the characters after they travel through the gate. The earthquakes and tremors, especially on recently unused gates that wouldn't have any sort of stabilization built by the locals, and other things like that.

As for your question, I scrolled through the episode and it appears she tried once, got the busy signal and some Earthquakes, then proceeded to have all that drama with keeping O'Neill alive and climbing to the surface.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 10, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Met posted:

I don't even know how she'd know how to dial Earth without knowing the point of origin...

I actually thought they covered that in that episode? I might be inserting the movie plot line about that though.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The big red button is point of origin isn't it?

Edit: the whole address thing is really confused anyway,right down to the point in the first movie where Danielpoints out the Earth symbol they should ave noticed almost instantly.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 11, 2013

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

They threw out a lot of mechanics out of convenience it seems like. The frost on the characters after they travel through the gate. The earthquakes and tremors, especially on recently unused gates that wouldn't have any sort of stabilization built by the locals, and other things like that.

They did at least address these two in the show itself. It was actually in that same episode I think, someone said both effects were artifacts of an earlier version of the dialing program not properly interfacing with the gate, not with the gate itself.

Which honestly doesn't necessarily break from the movie either; I mean, we never actually saw the after-effects of the trip back to Earth from Abydos.

Senor Tron posted:

The big red button is point of origin isn't it?

No, originally the point of origin was a separate button on each DHD. The big red button is more like a "Send" button once you've dialed in the address.

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord

Met posted:

I don't even know how she'd know how to dial Earth without knowing the point of origin... or what any of the other symbols would be as the address would always be completely different based on where you were. I guess they just threw the dialing mechanics out the window when it became tiresome to explain how they always know the addresses to get around in every situation.

Are you not conflating the series and the film here, in the film the symbols on each gate are different, where as in the TV series only the point of origin is different. Meaning it would be obvious which is the point of origin on any other gate. Or am I just misunderstanding what you said?

Met posted:

I think they "solved" the frost and earthquake problem in a sort of tongue in cheek way. I remember in a documentary they said "they realigned the targeting computer" or something, a lot of strange things with the gate could be put down to earth not having a DHD, which they did regularly.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Met posted:

Watched the Moebius two-parter last night. After all that work changing history and getting it back the normal:

"I thought your pond didn't have any fish."
"Ehh. Close enough."

Woosh.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 11, 2013

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe it's because I'm an astronomer, but the first thing that came to my mind when lost on another planet is to look at the stars and try to figure out how far from Earth you may be. v:shobon:v

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Might wanna get rid of that hotlink or the mods and whatever website that was from will get mad at you!

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

I love Carter's huge leaps in logic to try and put things in context, I always thought "It's an Ice Planet" was poking fun at that.

My favorite is when they get sent to an alien Jail

"We put these drops on the plant and it glows"
"This plant must be utilizing cold fusion!"

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Holy poo poo, "It's Good to be King" is such a great episode. Maybourne being a king, Jack taking out a mothership with a puddle jumper, Teal'c being even more badass than usual. Casual use of time travel by the ancients for some reason. It's kind of perfect.

vvv I thought that was him, but I wasn't sure. Also amazing.

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Flame112 posted:

Holy poo poo, "It's Good to be King" is such a great episode. Maybourne being a king, Jack taking out a mothership with a puddle jumper, Teal'c being even more badass than usual. Casual use of time travel by the ancients for some reason. It's kind of perfect.

Don't forget First Prime Wayne Brady.

I'm rewatching the SG:A episode Michael now, and it's a real shame that Michael turned out to get really overused as a character since his introductory episode is so good. The twist is something you really don't see coming on your first viewing, and that's surprisingly intelligent writing for this show.