Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

bartok
May 10, 2006

I don't know if it was intentional but I am pretty sure The Venture Bros. made a Yetay! reference. Basically Brock Sampson sneaks into a Guild ran nightclub disguised in a Yeti Mummy costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Well, they had Randy Savage on once before he died, so..... it's possible?

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I bought the WCW Nitro game the weekend it came out...and then sold it to a friend a few days later. The only highlight I can remember is playing in a tag match as DDP (because his finisher was super-easy...just hit Triangle three times, or something like that), and while I was not the legal man, running into the ring and hitting Diamond Cutters on opponents.

Yeah...that game didn't hold our interest very long. Not when there was still WCW/nWo Revenge to go back to.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was it Russo's influence that made the last(?) WCW video game take place entirely in the backstage area of an arena and never once in a wrestling ring?
Nope! Basically, WCW Mayhem's sales "went sideways" due to WCW turning to poo poo mid-development, so in a misguided attempt at differentiation from the higher-budget WWE games they decided to do a game solely around the one thing in Mayhem people seemed to respond positively to.

Here's a livestream thing where one of the programmers on that game (and Mayhem!) discusses the development of those games while playing and mocking them.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Well, they had Randy Savage on once before he died, so..... it's possible?

I think you're thinking of Space Ghost.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Rodney the Piper posted:

I think you're thinking of Space Ghost.

I am sure it is possible Randy Savage did some VO work for The Venture Bros but it was probably a random thug who did not talk about how Haystack Calhoun was a mountain of a man.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The best Randy Savage guest appearance was on King of the Hill.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Zack_Gochuck posted:

The best Randy Savage guest appearance was on King of the Hill.

NO AGONY NO BRAG-ONY

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight at 8 PM!

http://psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

Two Nitros! Two weeks of build up to Bash at the Beach 96! Will we learn the names of the mysterious Invaders? Will we learn their opponents? Will Macho get his hands on Ric? Will the streak of entertaining television continue?!?!?!

PLUS: TNA Weekly PPV #28 featuring the first AJ vs Larry match. OH BOY!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to beat MRP I'm going to beat MRP I'm going to beat MRP

5/3/1996 WO (big stories: death of Ray Stevens, Michigan's attempt to block UFC from taking place, FMW drawing 33,000 with a main event of Terry Funk and Mr. Pogo vs. Masato Tanaka and Hayabusa in a "no rope electrified explosive barbed wire time bomb land mine double hell death match."

quote:

Dean Malenko captured the WCW Cruiserweight title from Shinjiro Otani at the Disney tapings on 5/2. The match will air on World Wide on 5/18. Otani was announced as new champion on Nitro this week and they talked about his first title defense being on 5/18. So Malenko will go into the PPV match against Brad Armstrong as champion. In later matches taped at Disney, Malenko neither came out with the belt nor was announced as champion, nor did anyone come out with the belt. Based on the last taping, there is no such thing as planning more than a few weeks out, so it may not mean anything but it could mean Armstrong will beat Malenko for the title.

quote:

In the past, deaths of stars every bit as prominent such as Dick the Bruiser, Bruiser Brody, Kerry Von Erich and even Buddy Rogers were ignored by both promotions on television. WWF didn't acknowledge Von Erich or Dino Bravo on TV even though they had recently been headliners with that group. WCW didn't acknowledge the death of Eddie Gilbert even though he was on their television a lot and helped book. WWF did acknowledge the deaths of John Studd and Andre the Giant in recent years.

quote:

The Blood Runs Cold promos probably refer to the impending arrival of Kevin Nash and/or Scott Hall.

What could have been.

quote:

Diamond Dallas Page scored clean wins over both David Finlay and Sasaki. They didn't even try and give a cover reason why he's back but he will be given a monster push on his return. What I was told is that they'll use the lame reason that the match was signed with Johnny B. Badd that if he lost he'd retire, and since it was with Booty Man and not Badd, that his lawyer got him out of the retirement situation.

quote:

Big Bubba has changed gimmicks once again, now managed by Jimmy Hart doing a Harley biker gimmick.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Hahaha no no Dave, The Blood Runs Cold will be bigger than Hall or Nash, don't you worry!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

quote:

People in San Francisco, one of the biggest tourist centers in the world, had never heard anyone insult their city before and had never had a promotion use television as strongly and the result was a sellout crowd for the debut of Stevens and the United States heavyweight title.

This quote cracked me up.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

quote:

they'll use the lame reason that the match was signed with Johnny B. Badd that if he lost he'd retire, and since it was with Booty Man and not Badd, that his lawyer got him out of the retirement situation.
That seems like a fine reason.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Hahaha no no Dave, The Blood Runs Cold will be bigger than Hall or Nash, don't you worry!

We're Freezing Over

Judeccahedron
Jan 2, 2009

triplexpac posted:

"Blood Runs Cold, huh? Look at the adjective... 'run'. We ain't here to run."

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Judeccahedron posted:

"Blood Runs Cold, huh? Look at the adjective... 'run'. We ain't here to run."

Running would have resulted in quad injuries for at least 2/3 of the nWo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight come to http://psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport at 8 PM (or maybe a bit earlier) for the Bash at the Beach 96 go home Nitro! The Four Horsemen are in action. The Outsiders are lurking around. poo poo is about to go down folks!

Then at 9:30 we will watch the first half of the Andy Kaufman vs Jerry Lawler feud!

Finally at 11 PM it's the TONY SCHIAVONE weekly TNA PPV!

Throughout the night you'll also get plenty of classic Memphis clips including some we haven't seen before!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Cool foreshadowing in the May 20, 1996 Observer:

quote:

Blood Runs Cold apparently has nothing to do with Kevin Nash and Scott Hall, but will be a team of three Ninja heroes to be brought in, one of which is expected to be Bryan Clark (Adam Bomb).

quote:

WCW pulled a Saturday Gene Okerlund hotline message because he said Nash and Hall were a done deal. I guess the deal is that Bischoff's own storyline is to make it sound like they aren't coming to put doubt into it when they do come.

I think the Hall debut on Nitro was May 27, so the next back issue should be good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tato posted:

Cool foreshadowing in the May 20, 1996 Observer:

I think the Hall debut on Nitro was May 27, so the next back issue should be good.

Observers are postdated so the May 27th Observer will be written several days earlier.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Is he going to attribute every single person on the roster to being the one behind "Blood Runs Cold"?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

AKMoose posted:

Is he going to attribute every single person on the roster to being the one behind "Blood Runs Cold"?

Well he's correct here.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AKMoose posted:

He's named three people, two of whom he's withdrawn and he's right about the third.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was Glacier?

Edit: Ohhhh, Wrath. I was too focused on the Glacier gimmick.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AKMoose posted:

I thought it was Glacier?

Glacier was the ninja who was locked in mortal combat with the masked pitfighter Mortis (Kanyon) and big strong guy Wrath (Adam Bomb).

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I feel embarrassed for getting confused because I was one of the world's only Glacier marks.

bartok
May 10, 2006

AKMoose posted:

I feel embarrassed for getting confused because I was one of the world's only Glacier marks.

Are you Screamin' Norman Smiley?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Here's another good quote from that issue:

quote:

At the taping the previous week in Daytona Beach, Jackie Crockett violently ripped a "Hogan's Klik" sign out of a fans' hand. I guess they were afraid people would think WCW fans can't spell any better than WWF fans.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

Then at 9:30 we will watch the first half of the Andy Kaufman vs Jerry Lawler feud!

Fuccccccck I missed this? :smith:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Jerusalem posted:

Fuccccccck I missed this? :smith:

Yeah, it was incredible stuff. Just wonderful.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

New back issue, and this covers the infamous curtain call. Funny how there is little made of it here but it wound up being one of the most important events in WWF/E history due to the fallout. Posting this here since this is really the Monday Night Wars thread at this point.

May 27 1996 Observer posted:

Both Diesel and Ramon, in their final appearances before starting with WCW in mid-June, were the recipient of chants of "You sold out" and "Please don't go" by a decent percentage of the crowd that seemed to know it was their final show. Ramon was booed in his match with Hunter Hearst Helmsley (who replaced Goldust who missed another weekend because his knee hasn't recovered well enough for him to work), and heavily booed with a loud "You sold out" chant after he did the job. After the match, he grabbed the house mic and before he could get more than a few words out, panicked WWF officials, since this wasn't part of the show, cut off the power. As it was, all Ramon ended up saying was something to the effect of telling people to "Say Goodbye to the Bad Guy."

However, it wasn't over for the Bad Guy just yet. After a very strong main event cage match where Shawn Michaels beat Diesel to keep the WWF title, it was time for the curtain call. Michaels had won the match by walking out the cage after laying Diesel out with the superkick. After the match, Michaels kissed Diesel, who revived like the frog kissed by the princess, and the two hugged in the ring. Diesel got a lot more cheers during the match than most would have figured, although Michaels was still the most popular wrestler on the show. Ramon and fellow clique member Helmsley then came into the ring and the four got on all four posts and gave clique signals to the fans, some of whom were teary-eyed and saying it was one of the best moments of wrestling at MSG in years. Supposedly this final display wasn't approved by WWF officials, but it got over great with the audience so little will probably result from it. However, there were other wrestlers who were very unhappy at what they considered a kayfabe violation, particularly since Helmsley was in the ring hugging Ramon and Diesel had just finished a match with Michaels and magically arose from a finishing move by being kissed. The other clique member, 1-2-3 Kid, wasn't at the show as his future with the company is somewhat in question after he showed up at the Superstars taping on 4/30 in no condition to perform, and won't be back until June at the earliest.

Also:

May 27 1996 Observer posted:

Although business has generally been great, the advance for the PPV on 5/26 in Florence, SC as of press time was less than 1,800 tickets in an 9,400 seat arena. King of the Ring is about 60% sold out however, and that's before a card has even been announced.

At MSG, Steve Austin pinned Jake Roberts in about 3:00. After the match, Austin told Roberts he was washed up and challenged him to another match. Austin then pinned him again. I guess they are going to use Roberts' name value to give the younger guys some credibility which you have to give Roberts credit as a team player for, since his days as a headliner are over.

For the few here that don't know the repercussions of this, this wound up being extremely important. HHH was slotted to win King of the Ring but wound up being punished for the curtain call....leading to WWE deciding to have Steve Austin win the tourney instead. After beating Jake in the finals, he launched his famous "Austin 3:16" promo.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

quote:

After the match, Michaels kissed Diesel, who revived like the frog kissed by the princess

Huh, for some reason this moment was never mentioned by WWE! Way to revise history guys :colbert:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Meanwhile in WCW, it's BATTLE BOWL!

quote:

Another WCW filled with negative feedback took place on 5/19 at the Baton Rouge, LA Riverside Centroplex, before 7,791 fans (6,308 paying $104,760). It was announced several times on both the PPV show and on Nitro the following evening as a sellout. It was nearly full, but a sellout it wasn't. Nor a good show. I'm apparently becoming too charitable as I gave it a slight thumbs down because I enjoyed Flair's performance and both the U.S. and WCW title matches, and in other spots the workrate was better than expected. Overall the Lottery was a dud, with Diamond Dallas Page winning the Battle Royal, but not getting the promised title shot as it was announced on TV the next day that his foot hit the floor earlier in the Battle Royal. How Lex Luger would get the title shot instead of The Barbarian was not explained, nor need it be since this is WCW and it's time to get used to the idea that much of the fun was seeing how they can't keep anything logical or keep storylines straight.

quote:

3. Rick Steiner (Robert Rechsteiner) & Booty Man (Ed Leslie) beat Craig Pittman & Scott Steiner (Scott Rechsteiner) in 8:21 when Rick pinned Pittman with a german suplex. At least Rick and Scott worked against each other for a few minutes getting lots of heat and trading big suplexes. The fans booed when Booty tagged in. **1/4

quote:

4. V.K. Wallstreet (Lawrence Rotunda) & Jim Duggan beat Steve Regal (Darren Mathews) & David Taylor in 3:46 when Duggan taped his fist and punched Taylor. Duggan was over more than just about anyone on the show because Baton Rouge was his old stomping ground (literally) going back ten years. The sad part is that it showed the only guys over on the show were from eight to ten years ago which shows how effective the WCW announcers have been at creating stars. Duggan is just awful. DUD

quote:

7. Scott Norton & Ice Train (Harold Hoag) beat Big Bubba (Ray Traylor) & Stevie Ray (Lane Huffman) in 3:32 when Bubba and Ray collided, and Norton & Train gave Bubba a double shoulderblock and pinned him. Ray looked especially bad. What else is new? Norton didn't look good either. -1/4*

quote:

14. Page won the eight man Battle Royal. The first 6:00 were among the worst Battle Royals I've seen. No heat and nobody except Page had any idea what they were doing. Once it came down to Page and Barbarian, the final 3:30 was very good with big moves and near falls going back-and-forth until Page got the pin with the Diamond Cutter. Even though the finish was strong, there was no crowd reaction because nobody cared about these guys, even with all the TV time devoted to Page's angles. *1/2

quote:

At virtually every WWF and WCW PPV event, whether the show is good or bad, people usually delude themselves into thinking it was a great show. However, nobody even in the company was deluding themselves about how bad the Battle Bowl aspect of the PPV was and how dead it was for Page winning.

Sounds like a dynamite show! It's too bad nWo is coming soon, as Dave is getting good and snarky about WCW:

quote:

They announced Page not getting the title shot because as Gene Okerlund said, his foot was on the floor when he made the pin (huh???).

quote:

In both the first and last match they began teasing a Barbarian/Meng split, but that may have been to build interest for the PPV. Sure worked, huh?

quote:

Renegade was dispatched from the company. It was yet another example of their nearly fool proof policy (as in the only ones it catches are the fools).

quote:

Chad Brock got another try-out but looked bad.

Also, here's a bit of Dave Meltzer, talent evaluator:

quote:

McMichael has tremendous presence and if he can learn to work a little bit can be a star in pro wrestling, although long term he needs to be a heel. The segment lost a lot when Greene showed up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Forget Battle Bowl, that's the past. The future is now and the future is BASH AT THE BEACH 96!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

8 PM! BE THERE.

Or be there early for the pre show. It'll be cool.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Did Scott Norton have any 4 star or higher matches?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Did Scott Norton have any 4 star or higher matches?
Scott Norton vs. Keiji Mutoh on Sun, Aug 13th 1995 NJPW G1 Climax '95 - Day 4

He had a handful of matches with 3 stars and change during that tournament too

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thanks. I'm gonna check it out.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Tato posted:

Also, here's a bit of Dave Meltzer, talent evaluator:

In all fairness, he's right, it's just that McMichael more or less never did show any talent whatsoever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Main event match time at Bash 96 for those who want to join in: http://www.psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In 20 minutes we'll be watching the two Nitros that follows Bash 96. Witness nWo fallout!

http://psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib