Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

GoatSeeGuy posted:

When the original name for the show was Hannity and a liberal to be named later, I don't think balance was ever something to even be pretended. At the time Hannity was the rising star in NY radio and they were just looking to see if they could make something of him. People forget Fox News launched by just throwing poo poo at the wall to see what would stick. Ailes might be a GOP shithead, but before Rupert Murdoch he was working at what would turn into MSNBC. If they had given Carmen Electra a shift instead of someone like Burt Sugar or Paula Zahn and she took off in the ratings instead of Hannity and O'Reilly there's a greater than 0 chance we would have T&A News on basic cable right now.

There's a greater than zero chance we already have that, in FOX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pope Guilty posted:

Christopher Hitchens was a loving rear end in a top hat, but I respect the fact that he thought waterboarding wasn't torture and volunteered for it to prove it. They gave him these things to hold so he could drop them as a signal to stop, and I don't think he held on to them for even a second. They uncovered his face and sat him up, and he looked like he'd just watched his parents get hit by a bus. Total trauma. He immediately declared it torture and stopped saying it wasn't.

Talk radio host Mancow did it too, and thought he'd be able to keep saying it isn't torture. Everyone who's been through it knows it's torture. How are people still saying it's not? Has anyone been able to both go through it and reaffirm it's not a torture?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Talk radio host Mancow did it too, and thought he'd be able to keep saying it isn't torture. Everyone who's been through it knows it's torture. How are people still saying it's not? Has anyone been able to both go through it and reaffirm it's not a torture?

Because they're either morons or inhuman morons.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

AsInHowe posted:

There's a greater than zero chance we already have that, in FOX.

Certainly not in prime time.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Well, there's always "the leg chair".

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Okay, Carmen Electra != Carmen Miranda, I was confused for a moment.

Fruit Hat News would be the best news.
But I'd worry about them being a mouthpiece for Chiquita.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

greatn posted:

Sippy Cup disagrees.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Monkey Fracas posted:

Leave it to Murdock to find a way to translate page three girls to right-wing 24-hour cable news.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Monkey Fracas posted:

The leg chair is really a thing, isn't it? For a long time I thought that it was just bullshit because I couldn't imagine people with sex lives that were so pathetic that they thought that seeing an anchorwoman's legs was titillating.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Rockopolis posted:

Okay, Carmen Electra != Carmen Miranda, I was confused for a moment.

Fruit Hat News would be the best news.
But I'd worry about them being a mouthpiece for Chiquita.

Chiquita, aka United Fruit Company is the corporation responsible for the term "Banana Republic", as it maintained a monopoly in certain (central, carribean and south American) regions, and used that monopoly to dominate local economies and brutally repress the population through servile dictators if they dared take radical communist actions like striking for a living wage. In at least one instance in Colombia in 1928, between 47 and 2000 (wide range shows how little anyone gives a poo poo) people were massacred by the army during a strike. The expropriation of sugar mills in Cuba by the Castro government is also one of the main reasons the US got such a stick up its rear end about Cuba to this day.

So yeah, Chiquita, probably a worse company than Fox News.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Orange Devil posted:

Chiquita, aka United Fruit Company is the corporation responsible for the term "Banana Republic", as it maintained a monopoly in certain (central, carribean and south American) regions, and used that monopoly to dominate local economies and brutally repress the population through servile dictators if they dared take radical communist actions like striking for a living wage. In at least one instance in Colombia in 1928, between 47 and 2000 (wide range shows how little anyone gives a poo poo) people were massacred by the army during a strike. The expropriation of sugar mills in Cuba by the Castro government is also one of the main reasons the US got such a stick up its rear end about Cuba to this day.

Is there a place where we could read more about this sort of thing?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

Chiquita also paid protection money to right-wing terror squads starting in 1997, funding their terrorization of the locals.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

Is there a place where we could read more about this sort of thing?

http://www.business.illinois.edu/Working_Papers/papers/06-0115.pdf

This paper seems like it might be a good primer with a lot of sources. The slant of the author seems rather apologist in the first couple pages I just read though, so I don't know where he's going to take it later on. I mean, it's a business/economy paper coming out of Illinois, so for all I know he might end up defending that poo poo.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Orange Devil posted:

http://www.business.illinois.edu/Working_Papers/papers/06-0115.pdf

This paper seems like it might be a good primer with a lot of sources. The slant of the author seems rather apologist in the first couple pages I just read though, so I don't know where he's going to take it later on. I mean, it's a business/economy paper coming out of Illinois, so for all I know he might end up defending that poo poo.

The University of Illinois is not the same thing as the University of Chicago. :argh:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Nice Davis posted:

The University of Illinois is not the same thing as the University of Chicago. :argh:

I get that, but really, there's only one way to be sure.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
edit: I really need my Poe's Law detector fixed

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 15, 2013

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Are you guys ready to see "Stand Your Ground" on Fox News, starring George Zimmerman?"

Someone tell me this isn't actually real, but I see nothing on the site that suggests it's satire :shepicide:

"Sponsored by Skittles" didn't clue you in to the fact that it's meant as a joke?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

To be fair Skittles commercials are getting more and more hosed up.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Still waiting for Hannity to do it after he said he would absolutely do it on his show and has been called out by several people. The fact that he said he would and never has should have eliminated any potential respect anyone could have still had for him.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Radish posted:

TASTE THE RAINBOW! :commissar:

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Radish posted:

And none will ever top this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Zma2_n5CA

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Zeroisanumber posted:

The leg chair is really a thing, isn't it? For a long time I thought that it was just bullshit because I couldn't imagine people with sex lives that were so pathetic that they thought that seeing an anchorwoman's legs was titillating.

But they are not just anchorwomen. Back before Murdock-gate, they were looking like they stepped right out of a pr0n shoot. Pretty slinky, tight outfits, plenty of leg showing, different goils about every night. They've toned it down considerably. And I don't know if it was just my imagination, but it really seemed a couple times or more like little Greg would walk over to stand directly across from the leg girl and looked like he might just be getting a little of the ol' upskirt. The girls, in my not very attentive eye (at the weightroom) sometimes seemed noticeably uncomfortable about it. I imagined frat boys doing bong hits or shots or whatever every time little Greg would pull this one.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

greatn posted:

Wait until Megyn Kelly's nighttime show starts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Still waiting for Hannity to do it after he said he would absolutely do it on his show and has been called out by several people. The fact that he said he would and never has should have eliminated any potential respect anyone could have still had for him.

One of us should call him offer to do it at the same time. Triple dog dare him. Not me, of course, but, you know...someone.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Color me shocked that Hannity is a gigantic coward who talks a mean game.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

One of us should call him offer to do it at the same time. Triple dog dare him. Not me, of course, but, you know...someone.

I would legit let someone waterboard me if it meant Hannity getting waterboarded too. Somebody high profile needs to do it. Al Franken or someone.

People have even offered to donate to charity if he does it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I say we kick his door in in the middle of the night, drag him out of bed, put him on a plane to an island half the world away, and then waterboard him a couple dozen times. Oh wait.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

I say we kick his door in in the middle of the night, drag him out of bed, put him on a plane to an island half the world away, and then waterboard him a couple dozen times. Oh wait.

I'll make a kickstarter. How much does Academi (Blackwater) cost?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I'll make a kickstarter. How much does Academi (Blackwater) cost?

Too much. I'm certain we can find some third-world mercenaries who'll do it for fun. Just have them watch a couple hours of his show (include some from his radio show for the more hardened veterans) and pay for the expenses and I'm sure we'll find plenty of volunteers.

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby

BiggerBoat posted:

Also notable for the National Review Cruise, offering the opportunity to pay thousands of dollars to spend a week trapped on a boat with a bunch of conservative hacks.
Someone ought to have a gay cruise pirate board this ship. Or at least have the gay cruise ride close the whole way and blast music and entertainment 24/7.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I have to say I'm a little surprised that there has never been a sustained campaign from someone like /b or r/politics to try to call in to Hannity's radio show every day for like a month and ask when he's going to get waterboarded

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine that no matter how traumatic it was, that when they removed the towel and tilted the board forward he'd still have that same loving smug look on his face. It has to have been surgically altered permanently.

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby

pacerhimself posted:

I imagine that no matter how traumatic it was, that when they removed the towel and tilted the board forward he'd still have that same loving smug look on his face. It has to have been surgically altered permanently.

Yeah, if he's not smiling like a good doggie the whole way through he'll get fired.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nice Davis posted:

I have to say I'm a little surprised that there has never been a sustained campaign from someone like /b or r/politics to try to call in to Hannity's radio show every day for like a month and ask when he's going to get waterboarded

Unfortunately Hannity runs a professional program so there are call queues and call screeners.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Nice Davis posted:

Actually, I heard him have a hissy fit on the air when someone brought it up.

Leenk: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/hannity-tears-into-liberal-guest-for-trying-to-bring-up-five-year-old-issue/

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Phone posted:

Unfortunately Hannity runs a professional program so there are call queues and call screeners.

I've said it before but it's really not hard to get on these types of shows if you can get past the constant busy signals. If they think you're a dumb liberal that will be easy to steamroll you'll probably go to the head of the line.

a training manual from a guy that does this regularly posted:

There are a few shows (Monica Crowley, Andrew Wilkow, Mark Levin and Michael Savage come to mind) that seem to truly fear losing an honest debate to a liberal, but even these folks (with the exception of the remarkably stupid Monica Crowley, whose screener once told me she doesn’t accept calls from people that disagree with her) will put you on the air. Yes, they may make you hold for hours. Or they’ll mute you as soon as you get the upper hand. Or they’ll hang up on you after 15 seconds, spout a bunch of lies, and hurl a bunch of invective at you after you’ve been cut off. But you can get on…
The vast majority of major shows (Limbaugh, Hannity, Medved, Prager, Bennett, Larson, Bohannon, and to a lesser extent, Ingraham) welcome and engage with liberal dissent, at least to a degree. After all, they have (almost) all the power: they control the topic, your time on the air, and your microphone level. They can shout over you, force you into “yes or no” responses (“Is the world better off without Saddam Hussein, yes or no?”), or just hang up on you and move on to the next caller. Moreover, after years of listening to talk radio, I’m convinced that they have one thing right: the vast majority of the contrarian callers are ill-prepared for the talk radio format of rhetorical combat; they make easy marks.
So yes, hosts and their screeners welcome “liberal” callers. They know that the vast majority of them, historically, can be easily dealt with in a way that enhances the host’s stature. Getting through the screener is only rarely difficult. All that is required is that you give them a topic related to what the host is talking about, and that you are reasonably proficient at stringing a few words together in such a way as to give the host something to work with.

The only real trick is to sound smart enough that the screener doesn't think you'll drool into the phone (Unless it's the Mike Huckabee show and you're agreeing with him) without sounding smart enough to be dangerous, and then not sounding like a moron in the 15 seconds you'll get before the host cuts your mic.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Orange Devil posted:

You know, I had originally had this in my post, but figured that it was lowering myself to his level to wish violence on him.

On further reflection, though, I just don't have any more compassion or sympathy for fuckers like him reaping the consequences of their utterly craven bullshit.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

CarterUSM posted:

You know, I had originally had this in my post, but figured that it was lowering myself to his level to wish violence on him.

On further reflection, though, I just don't have any more compassion or sympathy for fuckers like him reaping the consequences of their utterly craven bullshit.

How about if people just kept calling him a pussy to his face on camera until he's goaded into doing it?

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby

CarterUSM posted:

By not deciding to walk the talk, Hannity is essentially destroying his own argument because he's making it quite clear that's he too afraid to even be waterboarded in an environment where he doesn't have to worry about being in a Kafkaesque hell of indefinite imprisonment with no clear reason of imprisonment. If he can't handle such a controlled situation as getting waterboarded once, he would lose his mind at Guantanamo, so he refutes his own argument.

Blackbird Fly fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby
I bet if someone gave him enough money he would get waterboarded. Hell, he will probably do anything for money considering his choice of employment.