Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Danger posted:

There were some quality posts before toy bullshit. Once you hit that just close the tab and throw your laptop through a window.

Oh yes, the "this movie is fascist" vs "this movie is not fascist" pissing contest is the absolute peak of posting quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, "Slattern" isn't mentioned in the movie. I dunno what the rules are about judging a movie based on the comics/apocrypha.

The kaiju name "onibaba" means "demon hag".

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 23, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That wasn't mentioned in the film either was it? Can you judge a film based on stuff that's not in the film?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

It's also Japanese folklore, which makes sense considering it's attacking Tokyo.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Raserys posted:

Oh yes, the "this movie is fascist" vs "this movie is not fascist" pissing contest is the absolute peak of posting quality.

It was was not toy chat, that's for sure.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've never heard 'hag' used as an euphemism/synonym for 'slut' before. Usually it's taken to mean an evil old lady (and is usually associated with witches-considering it's combined with demon, yeah I'm thinking witch, here.). I think you're reaching.

Are we really going to have to this 'this movie is :godwin:/no it's not' all over again? Because I don't want to slog through another 80 pages of it, thanks.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
At first I thought SMG was twisting the words around, but Slattern actually means "dirty slut"

What the gently caress Del Toro/people who thought that was a good name?

jive!
Feb 24, 2013

Peruser posted:

At first I thought SMG was twisting the words around, but Slattern actually means "dirty slut"

In the novel, as Slattern comes out, Tendo says over the radio "Bitch is big..." in some kind of angry awe over it being cat 5. Stacker, being the :black101: gentleman he is says, "No, don't call her that. Call her Slattern if you must."

As far as I know where that name came from, pretty sure it was Travis Beacham.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I am tempted to commission the most adorkable crossover fanart. Otachi Jr. can be Toto.

The idea of this was too adorable to pass up, granted I rushed and there's lots wrong, but just for fun.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Steve Yun posted:

That wasn't mentioned in the film either was it? Can you judge a film based on stuff that's not in the film?

It's not like he's let the actual text of the movie inconvenience him before, so why start caring about it now?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Milky Moor posted:

Given how well the figures have been selling, at least by all accounts, I bet you will get one for each Kaiju and Jaeger featured in the film - and maybe even one for the 'cameo' Jaegers.

Really hoping the cameo one will be Tacit Ronin.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Colon Semicolon posted:

Really hoping the cameo one will be Tacit Ronin.

Check ebay people are selling complete sets, they are all listed. I'm on my phone otherwise id paste it for you.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Wait, people were disputing that the film doesn't portray the post-Kaiju world as a command economy run by oligarchs who don't fundamentally understand the pregnant monsters they're fighting? What movie did people watch?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Maarak posted:

Wait, people were disputing that the film doesn't portray the post-Kaiju world as a command economy run by oligarchs who don't fundamentally understand the pregnant monsters they're fighting? What movie did people watch?

Clearly the film is not about people who do not understand those people who are failing to perceive the kaiju are not a metaphor for a society filled with people who do not have the ability control their fate when it comes to not seeing the control they didn't give up in order to not lose their humanity to an overwhelming force that doesn't control it's own fate.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Peruser posted:

It's totally appropriate for a film about psychology that's presented to us from the perspective of a gynophobic character/society.

You also have Knifehead and Otachi (big sword) - reminding of the basic distinction in Lacanian psychoanalysis between having the phallus (men) and being the phallus (women).

This is fairly obvious even if you haven't listened to Del Toro talk about his deliberate use of gynecological imagery on the commentary tracks for Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy 2, etc.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

You also have Knifehead and Otachi (big sword) - reminding of the basic distinction in Lacanian psychoanalysis between having the phallus (men) and being the phallus (women).

Wait, what?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

It's from the psychoanalytical school of psychology, which is obsessed with penises, and also generally considered to not actually be psychology. It started the field, sure, but it's been abandoned by everyone but lit and film critics for decades.

I really wonder why they never go with Jung when they want to be psychological. It's really built for analyzing stories, but I guess it's not as easy as just seeing dicks everywhere. If I remembered more of his stuff I'd probably try my hand at it for this movie, but I forgot nearly all of it.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 23, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Reading the Wiki for it, I'm not surprised Striker was at onepoint supposed to be the main Jaeger. It's definitely the coolest looking one, the latest, and the design screams heroic. I'm kinda glad it didn't turn out that way.

http://pacificrim.wikia.com/wiki/Striker_Eureka

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

It's totally appropriate for a film about psychology that's presented to us from the perspective of a gynophobic character/society.

True, but I saw a film about monsters being the personification of global warming/environmental disaster and the international efforts and personal sacrifices required by everyone to end it. In which case, Slattern is a pretty weird name.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I kinda want a Crimson Typhoon shirt that says "WEI TANG CLAN AIN'T NUTHIN' TO gently caress WIT"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

"The symbolic version of the phallus, a phallic symbol is meant to represent male generative powers. According to Sigmund Freud's theory of psychoanalysis, while males possess a penis, no one can possess the symbolic phallus. Jacques Lacan's Écrits includes an essay titled The Significance of the Phallus which articulates the difference between "being" and "having" the phallus. Men are positioned as men insofar as they are seen to have the phallus. Women, not having the phallus, are seen to "be" the phallus. The symbolic phallus is the concept of being the ultimate man, and having this is compared to having the divine gift of God.

In Gender Trouble, Judith Butler explores Freud's and Lacan's discussions of the symbolic phallus by pointing out the connection between the phallus and the penis. She writes, "The law requires conformity to its own notion of 'nature'. It gains its legitimacy through the binary and asymmetrical naturalization of bodies in which the phallus, though clearly not identical to the penis, deploys the penis as its naturalized instrument and sign". In Bodies that Matter, she further explores the possibilities for the phallus in her discussion of the lesbian phallus. If, as she notes, Freud enumerates a set of analogies and substitutions that rhetorically affirm the fundamental transferability of the phallus from the penis elsewhere, then any number of other things might come to stand in for the phallus."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lack_%28manque%29#Lack_of_Phallus

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Having exhausted one flame war, we start another. Woo.

Bingarosso
Feb 28, 2013

Peruser posted:

True, but I saw a film about monsters being the personification of global warming/environmental disaster and the international efforts and personal sacrifices required by everyone to end it. In which case, Slattern is a pretty weird name.

Yes, but, I mean, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. That is to say, particularly since the name wasn't within the text of the movie itself, the name slattern could be used as a commentary on the characters providing the name, whereas the general existence of the Kaiju can personify(monstrosify) global warming and environmental disasters. They certainly need not be connected. To me, the name is a commentary on the characters, conveyed to us by the writer indirectly. The whole global warming thing is a direct commentary from the writer. Its two different and only tangentially related ideas.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

"The symbolic version of the phallus, a phallic symbol is meant to represent male generative powers. According to Sigmund Freud's theory of psychoanalysis, while males possess a penis, no one can possess the symbolic phallus. Jacques Lacan's Écrits includes an essay titled The Significance of the Phallus which articulates the difference between "being" and "having" the phallus. Men are positioned as men insofar as they are seen to have the phallus. Women, not having the phallus, are seen to "be" the phallus. The symbolic phallus is the concept of being the ultimate man, and having this is compared to having the divine gift of God.

In Gender Trouble, Judith Butler explores Freud's and Lacan's discussions of the symbolic phallus by pointing out the connection between the phallus and the penis. She writes, "The law requires conformity to its own notion of 'nature'. It gains its legitimacy through the binary and asymmetrical naturalization of bodies in which the phallus, though clearly not identical to the penis, deploys the penis as its naturalized instrument and sign". In Bodies that Matter, she further explores the possibilities for the phallus in her discussion of the lesbian phallus. If, as she notes, Freud enumerates a set of analogies and substitutions that rhetorically affirm the fundamental transferability of the phallus from the penis elsewhere, then any number of other things might come to stand in for the phallus."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lack_%28manque%29#Lack_of_Phallus

So men have dicks and women are dicks. That's what I'm getting here.

Seems legit.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Fangz posted:

DEATH

A Dirty Sock
Nov 4, 2005

Death to Legoland!
There's quite the demand for the Making-Of book, Amazon claims that it's shipping in 2-5 months.

brawleh posted:

The idea of this was too adorable to pass up, granted I rushed and there's lots wrong, but just for fun.

That's beautiful man.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Fangz posted:

Doesn't that mean, having faced one Kaiju, you now face another? :allears:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

We're eventually going to learn that SMG is really Alan Sokal, and his entire CineD posting career is a massive put-on.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

brawleh posted:

Doesn't that mean, having faced one Kaiju, you now face another? :allears:

According to my calculations, in around 84 hours we can expect three shitposters to hit the thread simultaneously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never thought I'd actually see SMG turning to toy names and the novelization for his analysis. He really has become that which he hates most of all.

That said, Slattern's a really really lovely name to give that monster, Del Toro. Did nobody on the staff go "Hey, wow, uh, that's a pretty bad idea to put on a children's toy."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 23, 2013

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Clipperton posted:

According to my calculations, in around 84 hours we can expect three shitposters to hit the thread simultaneously.

I just did the math again. It's three shitposters in 8.4 hours. A triple event. This may be enough to stabilize the portal and nuke wherever it is they come from.

From there it's 4.2 hours til a quad event, and 2.1 til a pentuple.

In 15.8 hours we become the shitposters.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Saw it again on Saturday night. Still awesome.
I'm going to divert from all the penis talk for a sec. Hope no one minds.
I was wrong about the global warming thing. Charlie says "They tried first with the dinosaurs, but it was just a trial run to test out the atmosphere. But it wasn't condusive to them, so they waited. They bided their time... we practically terraformed it for them."
Also, back to father-son chat: When Herc invites Raleigh over to their table at lunch, he introduces Chuck as his son.
Lunch chat: They totally had blue Jell-O and milk boxes (both during the second lunch) but the milk box is a more modern design (see below).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Where do you live where you're familiar with the word "slattern"? I've never once heard that word in my life.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

That said, Slattern's a really really lovely name to give that monster, Del Toro. Did nobody on the staff go "Hey, wow, uh, that's a pretty bad idea to put on a children's toy."

GDT was nominated for best screenplay before. I think he's very familiar with subtext and meaning and if he named a toy "Slattern" I'm sure there was a deliberate reason why

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Where do you live where you're familiar with the word "slattern"? I've never once heard that word in my life.

I've only ever heard it in Quest of the Delta Knights. And that was on an episode of MST3K.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I'm fairly certain "Slattern" appears on screen on the little map thing back at base.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

GDT was nominated for best screenplay before. I think he's very familiar with subtext and meaning and if he named a toy "Slattern" I'm sure there was a deliberate reason why

Then he probably shouldn't be marketing it to kids and talking about how he hopes they want to be Jaeger pilots, unless he's trying to say some really hosed up stuff.

Which I suppose isn't impossible but is pretty disappointing if so.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really wonder why they never go with Jung when they want to be psychological. It's really built for analyzing stories, but I guess it's not as easy as just seeing dicks everywhere. If I remembered more of his stuff I'd probably try my hand at it for this movie, but I forgot nearly all of it.

That would be neat. I think there's a lot of parallels that could be drawn between the Drift and the Collective Unconscious, anyway.

Pope Mobile posted:

I was wrong about the global warming thing. Charlie says "They tried first with the dinosaurs, but it was just a trial run to test out the atmosphere. But it wasn't condusive to them, so they waited. They bided their time... we practically terraformed it for them."

Ergh this makes me kind of mad because the atmosphere back in the cretaceous was a LOT warmer and more full of CO2 than it is today. We're heating up the planet, sure, but not to those levels yet.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

It's German slang, apparently? Lots of Germans in Mexico so maybe GDT knew about it that way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm fairly certain "Slattern" appears on screen on the little map thing back at base.

Crap, that's one of the details I wanted to be looking for when I saw it in 2D. When I saw it in 3D, trying to read the text on the map had me all :barf:.

3D movies hate me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I dunno, GDT destroying America THE WORLD'S youth by exposing them to such obscenities as "slattern" and "onibaba" seems kind of a hyperbolic way to read things?

e: Which he may not have even included in the movie?

• Locked thread