Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Got an email for this new offer. Add $100 to your Wii U eShop account, get additional $10 credit (or add $50-$99.99 in funds to get $5). http://club2.nintendo.com/rebate/?om_rid=AAB3hV&om_mid=_BR7atjB80DAWB9&eid=EM10116#.Ue2vQY2shQY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Minidust posted:

Got an email for this new offer. Add $100 to your Wii U eShop account, get additional $10 credit (or add $50-$99.99 in funds to get $5). http://club2.nintendo.com/rebate/?om_rid=AAB3hV&om_mid=_BR7atjB80DAWB9&eid=EM10116#.Ue2vQY2shQY

That a pretty nice deal if you got a deluxe, as you get the amount again when you spent the wallet funds.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Rirse posted:

That a pretty nice deal if you got a deluxe, as you get the amount again when you spent the wallet funds.

Nintendo's deals aren't too bad, but all of them put together don't compare to Sony. Spend $50 in a year on Playstation and you get access to 64 games. Spend $600 in a year on Nintendo and you get a CD.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Game Freak's new 3DS eShop game has been revealed - it's the horse racing/solitaire hybrid we've all been begging for!

http://www.4gamer.net/games/226/G022607/20130723007/

Out next week in Japan, 500yen.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
It's pretty funny how they teased that saying that it was their version of a game played all over the world, and that game ended up being solitaire.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So the horses play solitaire? Or transport the carts across am enormous board?

A horse can't play solitaire! A horse have no thumbs! A shameful horse.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
From what I gather, you can interact with the horse race in real time on the touch screen, and by playing solitaire you gain powerups and increase the stamina of the horse, or something? I think it says you can trade horses via QR codes, too.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

From what I gather, you can interact with the horse race in real time on the touch screen, and by playing solitaire you gain powerups and increase the stamina of the horse, or something? I think it says you can trade horses via QR codes, too.

I think this is Nintendo's middle finger to anyone who says their games are too formulaic.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My only complaint is I wish it were picross horse racing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Alright, I got DK'94 with coins, and the GBC Shantae with cash, so I've still got $25 of credit left.

Anything coming out in the near to mid future I might save it for?

E: I'm remembering again how much I'd love it if the GBC Dragon Warrior Monsters games were on the eShop...

Annath fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 23, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mario and Luigi Dream Team, Pokemon x, Mega Man 4 and 5 game boy versions.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
It's hard to say what's coming out in the near future, just because Nintendo will only announce what coming each week a few days beforehand. The only things we know are coming soonish are the Sega 3D Classics, and there is no real estimate of when that is.

EDIT: I did forget about the Mega Man stuff, but that falls under the same category, really. I forgot about Dream Team because I'm playing it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Champeenship posted:

It's hard to say what's coming out in the near future, just because Nintendo will only announce what coming each week a few days beforehand. The only things we know are coming soonish are the Sega 3D Classics, and there is no real estimate of when that is.

EDIT: I did forget about the Mega Man stuff, but that falls under the same category, really. I forgot about Dream Team because I'm playing it.

How does Dream Team compare to Superstar Saga and Partners in Time (the M+L games I've played)?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Annath posted:

How does Dream Team compare to Superstar Saga and Partners in Time (the M+L games I've played)?

Not quite as good as Superstar Saga, though obviously it has a few in improvements in ease of use and the graphics are way better, but it's much better than the sadly quite dull Partners in Time.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Not quite as good as Superstar Saga, though obviously it has a few in improvements in ease of use and the graphics are way better, but it's much better than the sadly quite dull Partners in Time.

Obviously just my opinion here, and I didn't play SS when it was released, only recently, but I think it has aged rather poorly and is in fact worse than Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team. Maybe not in writing, though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Annath posted:

I don't know about Dream Team but you should really play Bowser's Inside Story. It's great.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Are we getting River City Ransom for NA release this week?

God I loved that game.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Zip posted:

Are we getting River City Ransom for NA release this week?

God I loved that game.
Probably, but you won't find out for sure until Thursday. It's out in the EU/AUS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Flipnote 3D is available on the JP 3DS eShop right now! Nintendo Japan released a Nintendo Direct Mini that covers the interface and all the new/improved tools, as well as the differences between the free and paid online services:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8X7GrnfuGA

It'll be out in NA/PAL-land next week, assuming NOA/NOE sticks to their own schedule.

EDIT: while I'm here... NA is getting Picross e2 tomorrow, and both regions are getting Picross e3 next month.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Flipnote 3D is available on the JP 3DS eShop right now! Nintendo Japan released a Nintendo Direct Mini that covers the interface and all the new/improved tools, as well as the differences between the free and paid online services:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8X7GrnfuGA

It'll be out in NA/PAL-land next week, assuming NOA/NOE sticks to their own schedule.

EDIT: while I'm here... NA is getting Picross e2 tomorrow, and both regions are getting Picross e3 next month.

Thank god, I just finished up e1's puzzles and was getting the shakes.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Game Freak's new 3DS eShop game has been revealed - it's the horse racing/solitaire hybrid we've all been begging for!

http://www.4gamer.net/games/226/G022607/20130723007/

Out next week in Japan, 500yen.

The character designs on this are ALMOST cute enough for me to wish I could play this. ALMOST.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

njsykora posted:

Thank god, I just finished up e1's puzzles and was getting the shakes.

I finished e1, out of desperation got Mario Picross which was pretty good actually, but easy, and literally finished it last night. This is so fortuitous.

You'd think there would be good picross games on cell phones, be they called griddlers or nonograms or what have you, but every one I've tried sucks.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

greatn posted:

You'd think there would be good picross games on cell phones, be they called griddlers or nonograms or what have you, but every one I've tried sucks.

On Android, I really like Nonomatic.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm reading the player guide for earthbound that Nintendo put up and holy poo poo is it ever a shame that it didn't do well in the US. The way they integrate the game info with fake ads and travel pamphlets is amazing for a SNES game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

elf help book posted:

On Android, I really like Nonomatic.

Nonomatic is good but a lot of the puzzles are really freaking easy and way too many of them are just symmetrical.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

DrManiac posted:

I'm reading the player guide for earthbound that Nintendo put up and holy poo poo is it ever a shame that it didn't do well in the US. The way they integrate the game info with fake ads and travel pamphlets is amazing for a SNES game.

It's pretty much the best game guide ever, I don't think any other guide has done anything similar since. Exception being, of course, the Mother 3 guide that Fangamer put together, but that's not official and was intentionally made to mimic the style of EB's.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrManiac posted:

Whoa, this is really awesome. Yeah, I really love the extra work they put in to make it seem like a travel guide instead of a game guide. Very nice flavor.

Remember, Earthbound was unique in that the game was sold in a huge box that included the guide with it. So it wasn't even like some add-on thing. That's pretty awesome.

I've always been put-off by Earthbound's weird humor, and I hate first-person RPGs, (Dragon Warrior/Quest Sux, FF rulez) but Earthbound is just such a huge deal, and is so unique, I really need to give it a run through.

I wish I could buy it on 3DS instead of WiiU. :smith:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Zaphod42 posted:

I've always been put-off by Earthbound's weird humor, and I hate first-person RPGs, (Dragon Warrior/Quest Sux, FF rulez) but Earthbound is just such a huge deal, and is so unique, I really need to give it a run through.

I never really got the hate for RPG combat in first-person perspective. First-person or third-person, you're still selecting commands from a menu and numbers pop up. Though I guess sometimes it's fun to watch a little movie play after you select an attack.

And I always appreciated Earthbound's weird humor and setting, because it was released at a time when most RPGs were either straight swords-and-sorcery fantasy or swords-and-sorcery sci-fi with a generic fantasy/sci-fi storyline.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 24, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Something the first person fighting has really made me want now is the Phantasy Star games on the Wii U VC. I wasn't a fan of it for a long time but when you really adjust to it it's great not having to sit through all kinds of animations and having the battles go faster.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Zaphod42 posted:

I wish I could buy it on 3DS instead of WiiU. :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

Well at least it's something to look forward to for when wii u inevitably gets a price drop and I decide to buy one.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Flipnote 3D is available on the JP 3DS eShop right now!
Hilariously the costume DLC for Ace Attorney 5 is larger(46 blocks) than Flipnote 3D(44 blocks)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

Hilariously the costume DLC for Ace Attorney 5 is larger(46 blocks) than Flipnote 3D(44 blocks)

There's costume DLC for Ace Attorney? :psyduck:
That's the most unnecessary thing to make so you can charge people for it and the most Capcom thing ever.

e: Like seriously that's dumber than horse armor.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 24, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Shear Modulus posted:

That's the most unnecessary thing to make so you can charge people for it and the Capcom thing ever.

Costume DLC is sort of a common thing in PC games today. See: Arkham City, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands 2...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shear Modulus posted:

That's the most unnecessary thing to make so you can charge people for it and the Capcom thing ever.

I hope it only changes the costume of whoever's perspective you're playing from, so you never get to see it. :v:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Color Printer posted:

Costume DLC is sort of a common thing in PC games today. See: Arkham City, Hitman: Absolution, Borderlands 2...

Yeah but at least in those games you're watching the character and not a text box.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Whoa, this is really awesome. Yeah, I really love the extra work they put in to make it seem like a travel guide instead of a game guide. Very nice flavor.

Remember, Earthbound was unique in that the game was sold in a huge box that included the guide with it. So it wasn't even like some add-on thing. That's pretty awesome.

I dunno about older console games, but this sort of thing was huge around that time in PC gaming. It was just standard for boxes to come with maps, "feelies", guides, hintbooks, all sorts of cool additional stuff that really immersed you in the game before you even started playing. Nowadays, you're lucky to find a game for any platform that comes with a manual that's more than just a sheet of paper giving you the URL for a controls reference sheet :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah but at least in those games you're watching the character and not a text box.

Ace Attorney has characters onscreen literally all the time and their animations and reactions are a constant part of the game.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Wait so is the Earthbound guide like a manual with a whole lot of extra flavor? Or is it more of a full walkthrough, like a "strategy guide" that lists secrets and everything?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Minidust posted:

Wait so is the Earthbound guide like a manual with a whole lot of extra flavor? Or is it more of a full walkthrough, like a "strategy guide" that lists secrets and everything?

Both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I never really got the hate for RPG combat in first-person perspective. First-person or third-person, you're still selecting commands from a menu and numbers pop up. Though I guess sometimes it's fun to watch a little movie play after you select an attack.

And I always appreciated Earthbound's weird humor and setting, because it was released at a time when most RPGs were either straight swords-and-sorcery fantasy or swords-and-sorcery sci-fi with a generic fantasy/sci-fi storyline.

If you're just 1 person in the RPG, then its fine. I'm actually cool with that, it makes sense.

What feels awkward to me is the games like Dragon Quest or Legend of Grimrock (or any of the 3D 'maze' RPGs of yore) is when you have a party of multiple people, but you can't see them.

Its this weird four-headed-giant thing that just doesn't sit right with me. If we have multiple people, I should be able to see them. They shouldn't occupy the same space all the time (you can do it some, like on overworld) so you can get a feel for, oh, the FIGHTER just got hit.

Even the simple graphics of FF1 managed to show you 4 individual sprites, have tons of different appearances for classes, even showed you different sprites for each weapon you could equip. You get to see casting animations, all those things add up to good game-feel. The FIGHTER hit the IMP! The IMP hit the BLACKMAGE! Oh no! Now the BLACKMAGE is bent over, I know that he's hurt without even looking at the numbers.

If its first person with 1 person, I can just be that person, like an FPS. But if its a party game, 4 people, I need to be third person, I need to be seeing the party. Even if it was first person, I should be able to see people to the left and right of me, so that's just weird. It feels more arbitrary, I can't immerse myself in the way I can with a normal RPG, and I'm just rolling dice instead of commanding a party of heroes.

I understand its pretty arbitrary, either way you're watching numbers go up and down. But with multiple party members, it just really bothers me not to see the different characters.

Earthbound helps because you see the different characters walking behind you all the time, so that would help reinforce the characters in my mind; its just the battles where its first person, so I think I can get over it. Also Earthbound is just so different, I'll take it on its own.

But for me Dragon Quest/Warrior is just always worse than Final Fantasy. Not saying its bad, to each his own, but to me it just doesn't sit right.

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I dunno about older console games, but this sort of thing was huge around that time in PC gaming. It was just standard for boxes to come with maps, "feelies", guides, hintbooks, all sorts of cool additional stuff that really immersed you in the game before you even started playing. Nowadays, you're lucky to find a game for any platform that comes with a manual that's more than just a sheet of paper giving you the URL for a controls reference sheet :smith:

I collect classic PC MS-DOS and CD-ROM games for exactly this reason. Games like Baldur's Gate gave you a whole loving package of goodies along with the disc.

I just saw that PS4 and XBone game cases are even smaller and thinner than 360/PS3 cases, so they've finally done away with manuals entirely. I'm expecting them to merely have a slip of paper saying "Go to https://www.ea.com/... for assitance"

:negative:
I guess on the bright side some 3DS games have had at least a decent sized manual, some even an art book, like SMTIV.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 24, 2013