Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Just came home to the most wonderful news - my OSI shirt has shipped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I think I still have my guild shirt from way back when around, I wish I had gotten the OSI one while I had the chance.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Crap replied to the wrong thread. Anyway I really wanted that OSI shirt but didn't order one in time, I did order a council of 13 one though. I was hoping the finale tshirt would be better, don't think I'm going to order one.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

null posted:

Not that this show makes much of an effort to stay "realistic" or "plausible" whatever that even means in the show's universe, but how is Bill supposed to get away with killing the governor? Especially with the Authority dismantled or in shambles. I guess maybe there were no living witnesses and everyone knows vampires can't go out in the day? You'd think there'd be security camera film though. Anyway this is probably putting too much thought into this show.

What?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's from the premiere of season 4.75. The invisible season.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

RandomPauI posted:

That's from the premiere of season 4.75. The invisible season.

Wait until the guys in Secret TV/IV hear about this!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

qirex posted:

Wait until the guys in Secret TV/IV hear about this!

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I actually really liked the finale shirt because it was an actual shirt in the show with a bit of plot significance.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

JetsGuy posted:

Just came home to the most wonderful news - my OSI shirt has shipped!

Mine shipped to my old apartment! Oops!

Time to learn if a change of address redirects packages!

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

null posted:

I agree that this last episode wasn't much of a finale. They started upping the drama partway through the episode which made it seem more finale-ish, but it just didn't cut it.

I didn't even realise the most recent ep was a finale when I was initially watching. Have to agree with the bad pacing on the upped drama. I always thought Gary and Vatred had an ok thing going. Gary just wanting to belong somewhere and Vatred tolerantly shooing a vagrant off the property seemed fine, except where in the space of ten minutes they bro-team it up, then Vatred suddenly believes everything about the 'betrayal' and runs off to blow things up. The moppets receiving some form of comeuppance nearly came from nowhere.

Here's hoping Season 6 opener is awesome.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Just want to pipe in and say that I'm really glad you guys encouraged going back to watch the series from the start - not that I'm surprised that it's good, it was sure to be, I just needed that little boost to start over from the beginning. The show's really well-written and just generally a lot of fun throughout. Not all caught up yet, but getting there.

I still watched the season finale anyway, and I have to say that while I thought it was pretty good I'm really hanging on that comment that the writers think of the premier for season 6 as the real finale for season 5. There's a whole lot of setup and things coming together, and seeing it all blow up next season (in a couple years) should be exciting!

Also, if Dean's going to be less of a sad sack now, I still hope he doesn't completely regress. Where Hank and Dean end up still feels very much like the big question for the show's ending to resolve.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Phile! Necrophile! A necromancer can bring the dead TO LIFE!

It's a Walking Dead post.

edit: I saw Governor, and got confused, ok?

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 25, 2013

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Where did Billy learn about medicine anyways? He's been established as arguably the world's best doctor, and it's such a well known fact that he regularly gets kidnapped to perform surgeries and such, but he doesn't have any sort of degree and he didn't seem to know anything back when the OSI was using him as a mole.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Where did Billy learn about medicine anyways? He's been established as arguably the world's best doctor, and it's such a well known fact that he regularly gets kidnapped to perform surgeries and such, but he doesn't have any sort of degree and he didn't seem to know anything back when the OSI was using him as a mole.

The Investors gave him one when he performed Monstroso's heart transplant.

He's also a quizboy, they know stuff.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
The entire Comic Con panel is up: http://video.adultswim.com/convention-panels/sdcc-2013-the-venture-bros-panel.html

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

feedmyleg posted:

It's obvious there's a split amongst people here when it comes to our feelings on this season. I have a theory that it chines down to whether you tend to lean more towards Doc Hammer episodes or Jackson Publick episodes. If y'all would indulge me, I'd like to get a sense for if those really correlate in an informal poll. Me?

Writer: Hammer
[b]Opinion:[b/] Mediocre season

I honestly have no idea who writes what episode, and if you showed me a picture of the two dudes I wouldn't know which was which. I just watch the show and enjoy it :shrug:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

What are the most prototypical Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick episodes?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't know about most prototypical, but to me Hammer's style is kind of encapsulated by Escape to the House of Mummies Part II, and Publick's is more along the lines of The Invisible Hand of Fate or Perchance to Dean. I think the most well-rounded episodes are the ones where they share co-writing credit, like Powerless in the Face of Death or Showdown at Cremation Creek.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

jscolon2.0 posted:

actually I'm pretty sure it's a True Blood post

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They should have had the waitresses at Don Heck's look more like Triana and Kim just to troll the fanboys.

Its funny, when they showed the house I was "Hey thats just like the end of Mad Men, but thats impossible because that episode was only like a month ago".

I can understand how people would be disappointed in this episode because all the other finales have been something big. This was fairly low key, and if this was say, the second last episode then people would be enjoying it more. Personally, I loved it and I really cannot wait to see what these changes will mean to the characters.

I like to think that Hank and Dean have come to terms to who they are, and are going to be more aware of who they want to be. Gathers really should give hank a job at OSI.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Trabisnikof posted:

I would say good baseline Doc episodes are "Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean" and "Tag Sale - You're It!", and for Jackson "Ice Station: Impossible!" and "Past Tense". All are Season 1 episodes that reflect their styles: Doc's scripts are group affairs that pinball from character to character, with a lot of little moments for everyone involved; Jackson's have a more singular focus that work toward developing or exploring a central character.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The talk about Billy being his own father got me thinking about Doc and the Monarch's own parents. What if Rusty and the Monarch are full-blood brothers?

Here's how it could work. Jonas and Mom Venture get divorced while Rusty is still a baby. Jonas assumes complete legal custody of Rusty because why would he need a mother anyways? Mom Venture remarries and becomes Mom Monarch but she still messes around with Jonas from time to time. It is the 60's after all.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

jscolon2.0 posted:

edit: I saw Governor, and got confused, ok?

On the subject of Necromancers, we saw far too little of Dr. Orpheus this season, which is a shame because he is definitely my favorite character :smith:

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Jackson Publick Only Episodes:
  • (Pilot) The Terrible Secret of Turtle Bay
  • (S1) Dia de los Dangerous
  • The Incredible Mr. Brisby
  • Home Insecurity
  • Ice Station - Impossible!
  • Past Tense
  • (Special) A Very Venture Christmas
  • (S2) Love-Bheits
  • Twenty Years to Midnight
  • Asassinanny 911
  • Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner? (with Ben Edlund)
  • (S3) The Doctor is Sin
  • The Invisible Hand of Fate
  • Dr. Quymn, Medicine Woman
  • What Goes Down Must Come Up
  • Now Museum-Now You Don't
  • (S4) Handsome Ransom
  • Perchance to Dean
  • Self-Medication
  • The Diving Bell Vs. The Butter-Glider
  • Pomp & Circuitry
  • Bright Lights, Dean City
  • (S5) Venture Libre
  • Spanakopita!
  • O.S.I. Love You
  • Bot Seeks Bot
  • The Devil's Grip.

Doc Hammer Only Episodes:
  • (S1) Careers in Science
  • Eeney, Meeney, Miney... Magic!
  • Tag Sale – You're It!
  • Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean
  • The Trial of the Monarch
  • (S2) Escape to the House of Mummies Part II
  • Victor. Echo. November.
  • Fallen Arches
  • (S3) The Buddy System
  • Tears of a Sea Cow
  • The Lepidopterists
  • ORB
  • (S4) Return to Malice
  • The Revenge Society
  • The Better Man
  • Pinstripes & Poltergeists
  • Any Which Way But Zeus
  • Everybody Comes to Hank's
  • Assisted Suicide
  • The Silent Partners
  • (Special) A Very Venture Halloween
  • (S5) SPHINX Rising
  • Momma's Boys

Jackson + Doc Episodes:
  • (S1) Mid-Life Chrysalis
  • Ghosts of the Sargasso
  • Return to Spider-Skull Island
  • (S2) Powerless in the Face of Death
  • Hate Floats
  • I Know Why the Caged Bird Kills
  • Showdown at Cremation Creek (Parts I and II)
  • (S3) Shadowman 9: In the Cradle of Destiny
  • Home Is Where the Hate Is
  • The Family That Slays Together, Stays Together (Parts I and II)
  • (S4) Blood of the Father, Heart of Steel
  • Operation: P.R.O.M.
  • (Special) From the Ladle to the Grave: The Story of Shallow Gravy
  • (S5) What Color is Your Cleansuit?

Ben Edlund's episode: ˇViva los Muertos!

Like feedmyleg said, Jackson traffics in plot and back-story and usually builds to a big action climax. Doc does more "hang-out" episodes with established characters that usually build to an anti-climax. He also does all the Orpheus-centric episodes - Orpheus and the triad are really Doc Hammer's creation. In the Slate interview Jackson even said their Doctor Strange pastiche wasn't going to be a recurring character until Doc turned in a script where he moved in next door. Original Team Venture is pretty exclusive to Jackson episodes. Jackson also seems a lot more likely to do lowbrow sex jokes.

I think the amazing one-two punch of "Twenty Years to Midnight" and "Escape to the House Of Mummies Part II" shows of Jackson's and Doc's sensibilities best, respectively.

I'd say I prefer Doc+Jackson to Doc only to Jackson Only. Looking at this list, Doc is just funnier.

e: vvv The guild first showed up in Tag Sale, the prototypical Doc hang-out episode, so I'm not surprised.

(Why yes, I have been quite obsessed with this show for the last decade, can you tell?)

Omnomnomnivore fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 25, 2013

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you really want to go nuts, start adding which secondary characters the two writers use more often.

Doc Hammer seems to really like using the Guild.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
The bits about Dr. Strange are the best moment of the panel. Publick really knew how to throw Hammer on one huge tangent!

Sash! posted:

They relied on St Cloud a bit too much this season but I can see them wanting to play with the new action figure.
So, two episodes out of nine (I count the Halloween special and I don't count his cameo in the Bot Seeks Bot) and a character is 'too relied upon'. Yeah, makes sense.

null posted:

Plus there was the lack of a clear season long plot that got resolved.
Again, this is the first season with a plot that is developed over the whole duration of the series rather than at the very end, you can't compare it disfavorably to the previous runs on that point!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

X_Toad posted:

So, two episodes out of nine (I count the Halloween special and I don't count his cameo in the Bot Seeks Bot) and a character is 'too relied upon'. Yeah, makes sense.

For what it's worth, I thought St Cloud was great. But Spanikopita was also my least favorite episode of the season and even some people who say they loved the season felt similar so it's hard to fault the character for something he had no bearing on.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How can you hate on Spanikopeta? It's like the one time of the year Doc actually feels happy.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Yeah, I don't get the general dislike of Spanakopita either. The Clash of the Titans dream, Team Venture vs. L. Ron Hubbard and the way it explores Doc's psyche make it a contender for my favorite episode ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Spanakopita! was excellent. Just great.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
The bits about albinos helping one another because of a secret code.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I am Reverend posted:

Yeah, I don't get the general dislike of Spanakopita either. The Clash of the Titans dream, Team Venture vs. L. Ron Hubbard and the way it explores Doc's psyche make it a contender for my favorite episode ever.

There were lots of excellent individual bits (the Brock Juniors, Brock giving advice to Hatred, Pete White catching fire, everything else that's been mentioned), but I'm guessing people dislike it because it didn't feel like it was set in the world of super-science. At least, that's why I don't immediately think "that was a great episode". Once I start watching it, it's great, but before that it just doesn't "feel" like a great episode. :shrug:

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 25, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

• Tears of a Sea Cow

I don't know why people always name 'Guess who's coming to State Dinner?' as the weakest episode - I always felt this episode was probably the worst.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

RandomPauI posted:

There was also Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner.

I like this episode as it's one of the rare ones when Rusty invents something super useful.

Also my OSI t-shirt hasn't shipped yet :(

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

X_Toad posted:

22% of the season.

While other long term and popular characters ended up with a line or two, if they appeared at all.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Red posted:

I don't know why people always name 'Guess who's coming to State Dinner?' as the weakest episode - I always felt this episode was probably the worst.

Huh, I love "Tears of a Sea Cow." You get Dean's newsletter, the birth of Shallow Gravy, The Monarch hate-loving G.U.A.R.D.O., and repeated uses of "weenis" as an insult.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

lexan posted:

Huh, I love "Tears of a Sea Cow." You get Dean's newsletter, the birth of Shallow Gravy, The Monarch hate-loving G.U.A.R.D.O., and repeated uses of "weenis" as an insult.

"BRING ME THE CUTTLE... fish..."

I love that episode.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

lexan posted:

You get:

- Two minutes of Helper playing that grating tone that they can't turn off.
- A super thin plot: The Monarch and his henchmen show up at the Venture compound, get caught, and try to back out.

It's such a throwaway episode.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

lexan posted:

Don't forget "Public school, Hank! Public. School." Also, "Give me the prize! I am the one!", which is even more awesome now because it really looks like Hank still believes it.

That episode was just great. Sure, there is a lot of non-sense in it, like whatever it was that attacked the compound, but it was just funny.

quote:

- Two minutes of Helper playing that grating tone that they can't turn off.
Speaking of, any spot for Dean in Shallow Gravy now that he may start getting out a little more? Guitar? Drummer? Lyricist perhaps?

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Jackson Publick Only Episodes:
  • (Pilot) The Terrible Secret of Turtle Bay
  • (S1) Dia de los Dangerous
  • The Incredible Mr. Brisby
  • Home Insecurity
  • Ice Station - Impossible!
  • Past Tense
  • (Special) A Very Venture Christmas
  • (S2) Love-Bheits
  • Twenty Years to Midnight
  • Asassinanny 911
  • Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner? (with Ben Edlund)
  • (S3) The Doctor is Sin
  • The Invisible Hand of Fate
  • Dr. Quymn, Medicine Woman
  • What Goes Down Must Come Up
  • Now Museum-Now You Don't
  • (S4) Handsome Ransom
  • Perchance to Dean
  • Self-Medication
  • The Diving Bell Vs. The Butter-Glider
  • Pomp & Circuitry
  • Bright Lights, Dean City
  • (S5) Venture Libre
  • Spanakopita!
  • O.S.I. Love You
  • Bot Seeks Bot
  • The Devil's Grip.

• (S1) Careers in Science
  • Eeney, Meeney, Miney... Magic!
  • Tag Sale – You're It!
  • Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean
  • The Trial of the Monarch
  • (S2) Escape to the House of Mummies Part II
  • Victor. Echo. November.
  • Fallen Arches
  • (S3) The Buddy System
  • Tears of a Sea Cow
  • The Lepidopterists
  • ORB
  • (S4) Return to Malice
  • The Revenge Society
  • The Better Man
  • Pinstripes & Poltergeists
  • Any Which Way But Zeus
  • Everybody Comes to Hank's
  • Assisted Suicide
  • The Silent Partners
  • (Special) A Very Venture Halloween
  • (S5) SPHINX Rising
  • Momma's Boys

Jackson + Doc Episodes:
  • (S1) Mid-Life Chrysalis
  • Ghosts of the Sargasso
  • Return to Spider-Skull Island
  • (S2) Powerless in the Face of Death
  • Hate Floats
  • I Know Why the Caged Bird Kills
  • Showdown at Cremation Creek (Parts I and II)
  • (S3) Shadowman 9: In the Cradle of Destiny
  • Home Is Where the Hate Is
  • The Family That Slays Together, Stays Together (Parts I and II)
  • (S4) Blood of the Father, Heart of Steel
  • Operation: P.R.O.M.
  • (Special) From the Ladle to the Grave: The Story of Shallow Gravy
  • (S5) What Color is Your Cleansuit?

Ben Edlund's episode: ˇViva los Muertos!

Like feedmyleg said, Jackson traffics in plot and back-story and usually builds to a big action climax. Doc does more "hang-out" episodes with established characters that usually build to an anti-climax. He also does all the Orpheus-centric episodes - Orpheus and the triad are really Doc Hammer's creation. In the Slate interview Jackson even said their Doctor Strange pastiche wasn't going to be a recurring character until Doc turned in a script where he moved in next door. Original Team Venture is pretty exclusive to Jackson episodes. Jackson also seems a lot more likely to do lowbrow sex jokes.

I think the amazing one-two punch of "Twenty Years to Midnight" and "Escape to the House Of Mummies Part II" shows of Jackson's and Doc's sensibilities best, respectively.

I'd say I prefer Doc+Jackson to Doc only to Jackson Only. Looking at this list, Doc is just funnier.

e: vvv The guild first showed up in Tag Sale, the prototypical Doc hang-out episode, so I'm not surprised.

(Why yes, I have been quite obsessed with this show for the last decade, can you tell?)