Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I guess all this 787 scaremongering by the media hasn't affected poo poo too badly, Boeing earnings up last quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I sure hope not. I was there a couple years back; I'd planned on going when I was back in town in a few weeks.

If it's all gone, I will be sad.

Yeah, it's gone now. Or at least going. It's why we're not having the Schwalbe and Mosquito at Thunder Over Michigan.

Jerry Yagen Liquidates Collection

Here's why.

Also, thanks for the heads up on those museums, SloTek. We'll probably hit Nauticus.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 24, 2013

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

IPCRESS posted:

Wait, we're talking about loud aircraft and the Vulcan hasn't been mentioned?

For shame, AI, for shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdtYU7i_jY

Loudest Brit plane I ever heard was a Nimrod. I think the Nimrod offends every one of the five senses.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rscott posted:

I guess all this 787 scaremongering by the media hasn't affected poo poo too badly, Boeing earnings up last quarter.

Boeings earnings are based on very long term trends. Their stock however...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Boeings earnings are based on very long term trends. Their stock however...

I'd say their stock is doing just fine:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

I'd say their stock is doing just fine:

Too large of a scale, I was referring to just the latest battery fire thing and the stock dumped like 10% when the fire happened and then shot back up after they determined it was a Honeywell part.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

Too large of a scale, I was referring to just the latest battery fire thing and the stock dumped like 10% when the fire happened and then shot back up after they determined it was a Honeywell part.

Meh. Apple once lost 5% of its value based on a rumor that a product that Apple hadn't talked about publicly was delayed. The stock market has very little to do with a company's long term prospects, or even the larger economy at this point.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
This story may be of interest to some of you: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Whidbey-Island-neighbors-sue-Navy-over-jet-noises-216679991.html

A group of citizens is suing the Navy over its use of an OLF that is very close to NAS Whidbey Island. This field has been in use for a very long time. The OLF is about 10 miles from the NAS proper.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Never fails.

"Oh wow, this land right off the end of the runway is so cheap! I can't believe no one has noticed this rock-bottom price, I must be a genius at real estate. I'mma build my condo there!"

*six months later*

"The government flies planes over my house all day and night and it's too loud and I'm a taxpayer, I pay their salaries and I have rights! :bahgawd:"

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I love the claim that there was never an environmental 'review' done. Before the EPA, you didn't have to! And the law wasn't retroactive.

Edit vvvv They should have gotten a hint from the fancy sign at the community gate that translates to 'Smells like when a ranch hand rapes the cattle'.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 25, 2013

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

These are the same assholes that move to housefarms out in the exurbs then bitch about the smell from neighboring dairy farms that were there well before they moved in.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Advent Horizon posted:

I love the claim that there was never an environmental 'review' done. Before the EPA, you didn't have to! And the law wasn't retroactive.

Well, its a true statement! When the base opened in 1942 (?) no environmental review was done!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

vulturesrow posted:

This story may be of interest to some of you: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Whidbey-Island-neighbors-sue-Navy-over-jet-noises-216679991.html

A group of citizens is suing the Navy over its use of an OLF that is very close to NAS Whidbey Island. This field has been in use for a very long time. The OLF is about 10 miles from the NAS proper.

Reminds me of the assholes complaining about the idea of some airlines adding a handful of commercial flights to Paine Field each week. We already have wide body jets taking off and landing there on a daily basis, for christ's sake.

gently caress NIMBYs.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Solkanar512 posted:

Reminds me of the assholes complaining about the idea of some airlines adding a handful of commercial flights to Paine Field each week. We already have wide body jets taking off and landing there on a daily basis, for christ's sake.

gently caress NIMBYs.

Reminds me of the constant bitching from Destin imports about Eglin AFB (bonus hilarity when they complain about Destin Airport). Even the developers have started griping because there is a height limit on the buildings.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

YF19pilot posted:

Reminds me of the constant bitching from Destin imports about Eglin AFB (bonus hilarity when they complain about Destin Airport). Even the developers have started griping because there is a height limit on the buildings.

Weren't a bunch of people pissed when the F22s showed up there because they are quite a bit louder than the F16s?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

gently caress NIMBYs.

To be fair, old MD-80s are probably louder than modern wide bodies. :v:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

To be fair, old MD-80s are probably louder than modern wide bodies. :v:

Good point. As far as the Boeing traffic goes, the 787s are surprisingly quiet.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Advent Horizon posted:

I love the claim that there was never an environmental 'review' done. Before NEPA, you didn't have to! And the law wasn't retroactive.

Edit vvvv They should have gotten a hint from the fancy sign at the community gate that translates to 'Smells like when a ranch hand rapes the cattle'.

The OLA opened in 1943. However, NEPA applies to actions, not locations. Changes in the type of use, frequency of use, aircraft used, etc. at the OLA can require some level of environmental review.

Not that the landowners (who, since the '90s have signed "yes, we know the Navy flies planes here a lot" waivers when buying there) aren't full of crap. NEPA doesn't require a particular result, only that environmental impacts be considered.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Plinkey posted:

Weren't a bunch of people pissed when the F22s showed up there because they are quite a bit louder than the F16s?

F-35s, but yeah.

Also if we're talking NIMBY hilarity, there's some reverse NIMBY going on right now in AK...one of the "justifications" that the North Pole/Fairbanks people are touting in support of leaving the F-16s at Eielson as opposed to moving them down to Elmo is that there are "serious noise concerns" with putting fighter jets at Elmendorf.

You know, the base that currently has two squadrons of F-22s, had three squadrons of F-15s before that (including one of Strike Eagles), multiple squadrons of F-4s before that, and has had jet fighters continuously stationed at it since they were a thing in the USAF. I can totally see how moving one small squadron of F-16s down there would raise some complaints.

e: Also the base that has had E-3s since the '80s, which is pretty much case closed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
God, I'm so loving frustrated right now.

Nice new helicopter. We're supposed to flight test it. So at (this facility), we put a bunch of instrumentation onto the airplane. This happened over a year ago. Now, for each change we make to the aircraft that changes it from its production configuration, an item gets written up in the logbook. Some of these changes are adding things to the airplane (like an accelerometer mounting block. Or a new wire in a harness). Some of them are removing things from the airplane (like a jackpoint). Some of them are both (Like, removing three engine mount bolts, sticking an accelerometer mounting block there, and then installing three new, longer engine mount bolts to hold our block onto the engine). All of this poo poo is supposed to get a logbook entry. And if you take anything *off* the airplane, not only does it get a logbook entry, it gets a removal tag, which is numbered and tracked and one copy of which stays with the logbook, which stays with the airplane.

So then the aircraft was flown to (other facility) for the testing phase. Now that that's all done, the aicraft's come back to (still another facility) so that I, who didn't put any of this instrumentation on the thing, can oversee restoring the aircraft to its production configuration so it stops being Experimental and can fly away with a standard FAA cert. All that stuff that was taken off the airplane, like the original production bolts for the engine mounts and upper boost actuators and, oh, even the little blank plug that fits into the circuit breaker panel to cover up the empty hole where our instrumentation C/B used to be?

It's not here. Just plain not here. It either didn't go from (this facility) to (other facility), or didn't come back to (still another facility) from (other facility). Guy who oversaw the instrumentation is on vacation so I can't even call him up and say "Hey, when you wrote up a job to install this accel block and had to pull these engine bolts and replace them with longer bolts, why didn't you write a removal tag for those bolts so we'd maybe know where the gently caress they are when it's time to put them back on the aircraft a year later?"

And it's not like I can just call up McMaster-Carr and order this stuff because their stuff isn't allowed to fly.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Phanatic posted:

And it's not like I can just call up McMaster-Carr and order this stuff because their stuff isn't allowed to fly.

Aircraft Spruce and Supply?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

vulturesrow posted:

Pfff those people have no idea how to get properly screwed by an airport.

See this cute little village in the middle of nowhere?

It even has a lot of convinient parking space...a bit too much maybe...

Oh...

Thats Kursdorf, Germany. Its right in the middle of the Halle/Leipzig Airport. Oh yeah there are also two Autobahnen and a train track next to it. For some reason its population is decreasing...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Whoever said that 737 with the collapsed nose gear didn't seem to flare: you were right. NTSB released a statement confirming the nose gear touched down first.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/25/travel/southwest-laguardia/index.html

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Shai-Hulud posted:

Pfff those people have no idea how to get properly screwed by an airport.

See this cute little village in the middle of nowhere?

It even has a lot of convinient parking space...a bit too much maybe...

Oh...

Thats Kursdorf, Germany. Its right in the middle of the Halle/Leipzig Airport. Oh yeah there are also two Autobahnen and a train track next to it. For some reason its population is decreasing...

Sounds like a great place for deaf people to live.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
With decent soundproofing that could be a decent place to live. Great security, good views. Chill out on the patio and watch planes fly in and out.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I would happily live there, but I am a plane nut who's deaf on one side. I bet property prices are low. :v:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

revmoo posted:

With decent soundproofing that could be a decent place to live. Great security, good views. Chill out on the patio and watch planes fly in and out.

Maybe if the patio was surrounded with quadruple glazing

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

jammyozzy posted:

I would happily live there, but I am a plane nut who's deaf on one side. I bet property prices are low. :v:

You could manage the Parkplatz!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I think the population of Kursdorf went from about 500-600 in the 1950s to about two dozen people now. Some have converted their houses to cheap hotels.
There are also giant noise protection walls all around the town which are obscuring the view and dont really help that much because you know...planes dont tend to stay on the ground behind the walls...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
What game is that?

...I need to play it...

Edit: GIS says it's BF2 after some digging.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

joat mon posted:

The OLA opened in 1943. However, NEPA applies to actions, not locations. Changes in the type of use, frequency of use, aircraft used, etc. at the OLA can require some level of environmental review.

Not that the landowners (who, since the '90s have signed "yes, we know the Navy flies planes here a lot" waivers when buying there) aren't full of crap. NEPA doesn't require a particular result, only that environmental impacts be considered.

The funny thing is that the only difference is that we are almost through the EA-6B to EA-18G transtion. They flew A6s there as well when they were still in service and I guarantee you that the -18G is not louder than a Prowler and is probably somewhat quieter in the pattern. It's funny how these people can be all SUPPORT ARE TROOPS and at the same do stuff like this, shine spotlights or lase at you at night when you're turning final in the FCLP pattern, etc. And then the lady heading it up has the balls to say "we just want the Navy to be good neighbors". The jet noise / development incursion is an ongoing issue at NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach as well and when I was stationed there the guy heading up the mob was a retired Navy Captain. :wtc:

F-35 hate I can sort of sympathize with. They are really effing loud.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
As I remember it the military is what kept Virginia Beach alive during the off-season. What would happen to the area if Oceana were closed? Would there be any major employers left?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

As I remember it the military is what kept Virginia Beach alive during the off-season. What would happen to the area if Oceana were closed? Would there be any major employers left?

Not sure tbh. But given that the entire East coast Strike Fighter Wing is stationed there,along with the East coast CVW staffs, and few other cats and dogs I can't imagine it would be very pretty .

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

You're missing the point. Nimbys don't care if all the industry leaves and everything shuts down and there's no jobs. They'd even prefer it. They want a nice quiet house in a nice quiet place where nothing ever happens and nobody else lives there.
But they don't want to move.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Linedance posted:

You're missing the point. Nimbys don't care if all the industry leaves and everything shuts down and there's no jobs. They'd even prefer it. They want nice quiet house in a nice quiet place where nothing ever happens and nobody else lives there.
But they don't want to move
to buy low, sue the poo poo out of existing installations (bases, airports, race tracks), drive them out of business, build up more houses to raise their property values, and then sell high because FYGM.

ftfy

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

This is more correct. If NIMBYs wanted a 'nice quiet place' they'd move to NoDak. NIMBYs purposely move somewhere that is 'popular' or near somewhere 'popular' in hopes of making a buck flipping real estate or impressing their rich friends. After all, it's hard to toast an expensive wine over the sound of a Cessna 152 carrying a student pilot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Refueling a Tupolev Tu-95 Bear

And in wallpaper size:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Really cool picture. I didn't know this, but fellow goon Dick taught me that wake turbulence is audible from the ground:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_turbulence#Audibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
720p video onboard a Tu-95, which also features a midair shutdown and restart of #2, if you want to watch sexy contraprop action.