Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Sudo Echo posted:

I wonder what left this mark in the rotor?

Hold up...

Guess someone dropped a bolt in the factory
:aaaaa:

Please send those pics to the manufacturer and post their response!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

:aaaaa:

Please send those pics to the manufacturer and post their response!

Better yet, mass-email all manufacturers claiming that it's their product, and post all the results.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've seen that with a nut before, so it does happen.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
A nut, a bolt, it all makes sense now.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Driven in today :stare:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Subaru!

I've actually seen them with the dealer rear diff skid where dirt gets in their and rots out the cast casing.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
We were wondering what the hell that plate used to be :v:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

We were wondering what the hell that plate used to be :v:

Yup its common for the diff skid to hold sediment and moisture against the rear cases and erode them away. If you have one on a car its a good idea to at least pressure wash poo poo out of it at least once. Luckily subaru rear diff swaps aren't a bad job to do, especially if you have oxy ace.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sudo Echo posted:

I wonder what left this mark in the rotor?

This is why a good dealer tells you to stay away from bolt-in performance parts

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

From a FB group I visit. Turbo 700 trans in a Holden Kingswood decided to let go at 140km/h :stonk:. The fact that the driveline basically sheared itself free scares the poo poo out of me, and I am now going to make sure I check out the diff / trans clunk on the Valiant before pushing it too hard, since I'd prefer not to have to try and steer 2 tonnes of crazy out of a skid with no power steering.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

H1KE posted:

From a FB group I visit. Turbo 700 trans in a Holden Kingswood decided to let go at 140km/h :stonk:. The fact that the driveline basically sheared itself free scares the poo poo out of me, and I am now going to make sure I check out the diff / trans clunk on the Valiant before pushing it too hard, since I'd prefer not to have to try and steer 2 tonnes of crazy out of a skid with no power steering.

:stare: Is that the transmission tail housing hanging off the end of the drive shaft there?

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Vanagoon posted:

:stare: Is that the transmission tail housing hanging off the end of the drive shaft there?

That is indeed the linkage section from the end of the transmission. It has literally snapped itself free from the transmission, and taken part of the transmission case with it. Check out the rear end of the tailshaft as well. Jesus christ.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

God, I'm so happy to live in SoCal right now.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

This looks more like something they'd dig out of the ground in Ypres than a car. :stare:

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
This is the right landing gear of a Citation Jet CJ2. The aircraft blew a tire on takeoff and was lucky it was on a 10,000ft runway so they aborted and stopped before the aircraft went air born. Closed our runway for about 5 hours. We had to use air bags and a dolly to get it off without doing further damage. The brake was embedded into the runway. Aircraft is currently on full jacks in a hanger awaiting parts and bags of money. Just to fix the sheet metal damage the tire did to the flap will probably take over 100 hours. The wheel and tire alone costs about $10,000. They will need to replace the strut as well and all the sheered brake lines.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

jdfording posted:

This is the right landing gear of a Citation Jet CJ2. The aircraft blew a tire on takeoff and was lucky it was on a 10,000ft runway so they aborted and stopped before the aircraft went air born. Closed our runway for about 5 hours. We had to use air bags and a dolly to get it off without doing further damage. The brake was embedded into the runway. Aircraft is currently on full jacks in a hanger awaiting parts and bags of money. Just to fix the sheet metal damage the tire did to the flap will probably take over 100 hours. The wheel and tire alone costs about $10,000. They will need to replace the strut as well and all the sheered brake lines.

Jesus christ. Is that brake immersed in some sort of fluid, like a motorbike clutch, or is it just a stack of dry plates? Where does the caliper pressure come from? How is 'mileage' measured on aircraft tyres? As in, is that tyre failure something that could've been prevented by inspecting/testing thge tyre or is it just one of those things?

I don't know anything about aircraft brakes/landing gear so this is really fascinating.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

jdfording posted:

We had an A-10 do this at Davis-Monthan around 2007, except it was on landing. I wish I had photos because it was the craziest thing I'd ever seen. The radial wire from the tires was sticking out from the wheel pod and wing like hair and the jet had slid down the runway far enough that the break assembly was totally torn away and the hub where the axle went through was ground flat. It looked like someone had cut it in half with a saw.

Crew chiefs were driving around with the strut in the back of their little flightline pickup showing it off.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 31, 2013

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Jesus christ. Is that brake immersed in some sort of fluid, like a motorbike clutch, or is it just a stack of dry plates? Where does the caliper pressure come from? How is 'mileage' measured on aircraft tyres? As in, is that tyre failure something that could've been prevented by inspecting/testing thge tyre or is it just one of those things?

I don't know anything about aircraft brakes/landing gear so this is really fascinating.

That is hydraulic fluid on the ground it's not immersed in fluid it's dry plates. When the tire blew it took out the brake lines and lost all brake pressure. They used about 6000ft to stop the aircraft and almost put it in the grass. That brake cut a groove in the runway about 6000ft long. The tires were almost new according to the pilots. I think the brake seized and got hot and blew the tire.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh my gooodddddd I want that case so bad.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Citations (and all bizjets I would imagine) are just ways to move money from your bank account to the aether. The we use for distance stuff at work costs several thousands of dollars a day just to own, even if it doesnt turn a wheel.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

H1KE posted:

drat we had the driveshaft support bearing in our ChumpCar go out at the last race, luckily at the slowest part of the track ~40mph. If it would have lasted another 20 seconds or so it would have gone out at ~120 and I wonder what kind of damage it would have done.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Slavvy posted:

How is 'mileage' measured on aircraft tyres? As in, is that tyre failure something that could've been prevented by inspecting/testing thge tyre or is it just one of those things?

Aircraft tires are generally replaced on an "as needed" basis, usually once the tread has worn past a certain point or if there are visible signs of flat spotting or abnormal wear on the tire.

Generally, tires are pretty reliable (most blown tires are due to something puncturing the tire, or pilot error or an anti-skid failure locking the brakes on landing) as long as they're properly inflated, but underinflated aircraft tires have a nasty habit of blowing out at high speed on takeoff and causing all kinds of mayhem and accidents.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Not quite in the theme of the thread name but it could have been.

Yeah.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That's an interesting belt failure, I think?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I think it's dryrot.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
"What do you mean 'I need new drums'?"

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Godholio posted:

I think it's dryrot.

I know it's dryrot. It's the ridiculous bulge that got me. Also there's a plug dead centre of it all so I have to wonder if the ply layer was damaged too.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Looks like a pretty typical tread separation.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

wallaka posted:

Looks like a pretty typical tread separation.

You mean how the underneath layers are bulging out in a section, stretching and breaking the dryrotted tread layer? I can see the lower layers peeking through the distended treads.
According to the mighty Google the company that made those tyres closed shop in 1996. They still have great tread and even have the little white arrows drawn on for valve location so I don't think they had a very hard life. It's just advanced old age.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is there a tire code you can look at on the sidewall to figure out when it was made?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is there a tire code you can look at on the sidewall to figure out when it was made?

Yes.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

If they are pre 2000 they may be a 3 digit code: http://www.barrystiretech.com/dotcoding.html

I bought a cheap set if part worns off eBay a year back with a 3 digit, good tread but no way I was fitting them to anything!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Those are for tires sold in North America - he may not have DOT codes on his tires if that exact tire wasn't sold here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, I wasn't sure if tire codes were international or not. Or even if this tire (which, knowing this car, is probably made from the skin of Chinese political dissidents) has anything like that.

Hopefully it is DOT legal, then it's easy!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The tyres we get in NZ have the same printing so that's all I'm familiar with :)

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

General_Failure posted:

You mean how the underneath layers are bulging out in a section, stretching and breaking the dryrotted tread layer? I can see the lower layers peeking through the distended treads.
According to the mighty Google the company that made those tyres closed shop in 1996. They still have great tread and even have the little white arrows drawn on for valve location so I don't think they had a very hard life. It's just advanced old age.

Yep, pretty typical. It's a good thing this wasn't in an Explorer, but the Niva could probably take a rollover.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Not sure how this happens to people.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Finger-tight is good enough.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"Oh, that creaking noise? Yeah it's probably just a rusty spring, I just crank the stereo so I don't gotta hear it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fucknag posted:

"Oh, that creaking noise? Yeah it's probably just a rusty spring, I just crank the stereo so I don't gotta hear it."

I wish more people who come into my work did this, instead of 'Last winter there was this minute rustling noise detectable only in a sound-damping chamber on a full moon by a south African fruit bat. FIX MY BROKEN CAR IMMEDIATELY I HAVE WARRANTYYYYYY'