Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I like the Panamera. :gay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I don't like the Panamera (and I've seen a lot of them in person around Seattle) and I actually like how the Ferrari FF looks.

There must be something wrong with me.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I actually hate the wagon version and am glad it isn't the design.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Kenshin posted:

I don't like the Panamera (and I've seen a lot of them in person around Seattle) and I actually like how the Ferrari FF looks.

There must be something wrong with me.

show us on the doll the where the clown touched you.

*points to feet*

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Did an oil change on a brand new Impala today and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of standard features.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The BMW i3 was officially unveiled a few days ago...and pretty much exactly what they said it'd be, and more or less unchanged from the last concept they showed (questionable design decisions and all). To recap it's a smallish four seat hatch with 170HP electric motor w/100 mile range (and optional 80mi range extender*), which weighs around 2700 pounds, thanks to the use of a CFRP passenger compartment mated to an aluminum chassis, and starts in the $40k range (before whatever local rebates/incentives). (*said range extender adds 300lbs and $4k though)

So it's interesting if you're into electrics, and sort of interesting if you're not (think of the potential for CFRP frames in BMWs and Minis), but according to some previews it's a bit muted when it comes to driving dynamics. It's RWD with 50:50 distribution (and center of gravity shouldn't be too bad with batteries on the floor and CFRP frame up top) so some potential is there, but the traction control, suspension, and bizarro custom narrow tires work against that in the name of efficiency. But apparently there might be a sport version coming too:

quote:

“Think if it as a BMW i3 Sport,” one source who asked not to be named said. Already, BMW is planning a sportier suspension setup with shorter, stiffer springs and a more powerful electric motor that could shoot the electric car to 60 in the five- or six-second range. All it would take is programming the electric motor to offer more than its current 170 horsepower. The compromise would be a shortened driving range in EV mode, as the BMW i3 only has a relatively small 22-kilowatt-hour battery pack with an estimated 80- to 100-mile range. BMW’s engineers are working on a compromise to keep electric range up and weight down, as its battery pack in the car hits the scales at about 500 pounds.

In addition, the just-debuted 2014 BMW i3 won’t allow drivers to completely defeat its stability control system, which is not advantageous for aggressive driving. “We’re working on that,” says our source, adding that a proposed i3 Sport model would be more performance-focused.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Q_res posted:

The gently caress it does. It looks like a bloated, overinflated 911. It's a disaster from basically every angle.

So, it's basically everything (currently produced) except for the 911, then..

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Did an oil change on a brand new Impala today and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of standard features.

It may be new, but it's not "the" new Impala.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

IOwnCalculus posted:

The front kind of looks like a Honda Accord

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, didn't know that. It had 6K miles on it and the vin was only about 1 year old, I assumed it was the most current which is why I posted it here and not the other pictures thread.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

gret posted:

The front kind of looks like a Honda Accord

It looks like a last-generation 93 that is a little bit "special".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

In his defense, the impala he posted could technically still be a 2014 because GM. I've been thinking of getting one because 2012s with the 300hp v6 and 6 speed auto with 50,000kms can be had for about 12 grand, but to me the impala just seems like the sweatpants of cars. Yeah it's comfortable, functional, and there's really nothing terrible wrong with it, it still seems like a sign that you've given up on life.

Speaking of giving up....

An assault on the senses. It hurts the eye from every angle, smells like the death of a brand, and sounds like a million badge whores all screaming out in pain.

With tesla and ford showing that electric/range extended cars don't have to look like steaming piles of poo poo, it amazes me that BMW is bringing out something this terrible.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
It look just like the future is supposed to, and the specifications are amazing. Tiny, quick and rear driven doesn't happen every day. But the pricing is ridiculous so there probably won't be much uptake here in Australia. I like it

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
It looks like an Aztek got raped by a Tron* Recognizer.

* For those under the age of wisdom.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

An assault on the senses. It hurts the eye from every angle, smells like the death of a brand, and sounds like a million badge whores all screaming out in pain.

With tesla and ford showing that electric/range extended cars don't have to look like steaming piles of poo poo, it amazes me that BMW is bringing out something this terrible.

What is with this trend of making cars that look like they're eating or making GBS threads out other cars?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Looks like the previous model Hyundai Sonata

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

sadnessboner posted:

It look just like the future is supposed to, and the specifications are amazing. Tiny, quick and rear driven doesn't happen every day. But the pricing is ridiculous so there probably won't be much uptake here in Australia. I like it
What's the price there? It's semi in line with the other electrics around here I think.

I liked Car and Driver's old mockup (even if it's still a bit quirky in its own right):

I figure the artist assumed BMW wouldn't keep the batshit styling cues, guess he was wrong! My hope is that they do one of those mid cycle refreshes that basically addresses most of the ugly design elements (the 3 and 7 ones from a while back come to mind).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

anonumos posted:

I like the Panamera. :gay:

What is wrong with us. :(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

japtor posted:

What's the price there? It's semi in line with the other electrics around here I think.

I liked Car and Driver's old mockup (even if it's still a bit quirky in its own right):

I figure the artist assumed BMW wouldn't keep the batshit styling cues, guess he was wrong! My hope is that they do one of those mid cycle refreshes that basically addresses most of the ugly design elements (the 3 and 7 ones from a while back come to mind).

The Anticountach.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

japtor posted:

There's nothing concrete, but most local car news sites are quoting around $70,000 for the i3. A base Prius is $34,000. The big Germans seem pretty content to bend Australia over a barrel though; Even at dollar parity with the US, we were paying $160,000 for an M3 when it's $60,000 out your way

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Even in north america, the range extended version is nearly 15 grand more expensive than the C-max energi, and 7 grand more expensive than the fusion energi titanium.

Just a reminder, the fusion energi looks like this

edit: the BMW i3 interior looks like this

The fusion titanium interior looks like this

The BMW comes off as quirky for the sake of quirky.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 1, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Just Just looked those up, they're almost 4000lbs and have 20 mile electric range...and the i3's extender gets it through a CA loophole for electric vehicle carpool stickers. The pure electrics are a better comparison (and looks like those are cheaper than I thought), but the performance isn't as good with them.

But yeah it looks quirky for the sake of it. The interior there actually looks more normal than other shots I've seen though, probably cause the different material options and real setting.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Powershift posted:

I've been thinking of getting one because 2012s with the 300hp v6 and 6 speed auto with 50,000kms can be had for about 12 grand, but to me the impala just seems like the sweatpants of cars. Yeah it's comfortable, functional, and there's really nothing terrible wrong with it, it still seems like a sign that you've given up on life.

I know, I feel the same way about the Dodge Avenger. One one hand it's a lovely car that doesn't stand out in any area, but on the other hand you can get a brand new one with the 283hp v6 and a 6-speed auto that gets 29mpg highway for $22k.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

Just a reminder, the fusion energi looks like this

Yeah but do you expect me to be seen in a Ford?! *pootles off in his $40k neo-Isetta*

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

japtor posted:

Just Just looked those up, they're almost 4000lbs and have 20 mile electric range...and the i3's extender gets it through a CA loophole for electric vehicle carpool stickers. The pure electrics are a better comparison (and looks like those are cheaper than I thought), but the performance isn't as good with them.

But yeah it looks quirky for the sake of it. The interior there actually looks more normal than other shots I've seen though, probably cause the different material options and real setting.

On that basis, the pure EV is over 10 grand more than the fiat 500e which has comparable performance with a shorter range, albeit less utility. The chevy spark EV is 15 grand less, performs about the same with a shorter range, and doesn't look like a mazda minivan making GBS threads out a golf.

I only brought the fusion up because it'sso much better looking, better equipped, and performs a largely similar function.

lazer_chicken posted:

I know, I feel the same way about the Dodge Avenger. One one hand it's a lovely car that doesn't stand out in any area, but on the other hand you can get a brand new one with the 283hp v6 and a 6-speed auto that gets 29mpg highway for $22k.

That is a little less appealing because at $22k you could be looking at a mustang, camaro, fiesta ST, turbo cruze, or even a GTI.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Powershift posted:

On that basis, the pure EV is over 10 grand more than the fiat 500e which has comparable performance with a shorter range, albeit less utility.
Speaking of which, Fiat's CEO says they lose $10k per 500e :stare:. Then again I found an older article from 2011 saying the same thing with the expected price being around $45k so I figure there's some bullshit in there.

One thing I'm curious about, I saw reviews mentioning the brake pedal controls only engine braking above 8 mph (barring hard/emergency braking), is that unique or pretty common among regenerative brake systems? I never really thought about how much the discs are used in them until I read that.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

The BMW comes off as quirky for the sake of quirky.

I just see this thing as a test platform for a bunch of stuff and since it's so "Tron" like will get a lot of pub and 5 people will buy them in NY/SF/LA. The i8 is weird too but at least it looks mean.

I will add that the snobbier 5 series posters on Bimmerfest are going apeshit about the new "floating" style Nav screens instead of the integrated versions. They don't pop up they are just there and look like you could just pull it off or something (plus it gets blasted by glare)

Floating version F30 3-series: ...........Integrated F10 M5:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 1, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Are the floating style nav screens the ones like in the Audi A8 that pops out of the dash? Because that's pretty awesome and I like it more than the integrated instrument cluster one. I mean, granted the simpler way to do it is just to have it integrated than force something to pop out and whatnot but, come on, son, I want the future already. I kinda want to see impractical designs and stuff done for coolness' sake that serve a purpose.

If by floating it means looking like someone stuck a garmin on a glass sucker thing, then that's kinda lame imo. Unless I suppose you could move the thing round for better viewing.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

I just see this thing as a test platform for a bunch of stuff and since it's so "Tron" like will get a lot of pub and 5 people will buy them in NY/SF/LA. The i8 is weird too but at least it looks mean.

Yeah, I'm not that excited about the i3 although I don't think it's terrible beyond it's exterior looks. It does tick some of the right boxes: RWD, pretty good acceleration, advanced materials, and that interior shot a couple posts up even looks pretty good to me (but I like clean basic interiors :v: ). I'm not in a hurry to go out and buy one, but a lot of the hate seems undeserved and boils down to either "it's ugly" (true) or "it's not as as good as a Model S" despite being half the price.

I am excited to see how this type of technology in materials and chassis engineering and whatnot trickles into the existing lineup and also into future cars like the i8 and whatever comes after that.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
The i3/Tesla comparisons are silly for more reasons than just price. The i3 was designed to be a city car with maximum interior space, minimum exterior space, and only as much battery as it realistically needs in a city with short daily driving distance to keep the weight/performance/price in check. Weighing only 2700lbs and 7sec to 60 is pretty impressive.

If Tesla made a competitor to the i3 it would match it at best.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I had a 3 series rental with the floating nav screen and it was fine. It didn't retract which bummed me out but then again if I owned the car I'd probably like that since one less thing to fix.

Then again, my daily driver has a nav screen you have to look down and right to see, so anything that's within your eyeline is like a miracle of design to me.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

ynotony posted:

The i3/Tesla comparisons are silly for more reasons than just price. The i3 was designed to be a city car with maximum interior space, minimum exterior space, and only as much battery as it realistically needs in a city with short daily driving distance to keep the weight/performance/price in check. Weighing only 2700lbs and 7sec to 60 is pretty impressive.

If Tesla made a competitor to the i3 it would match it at best.

I don't like the i3, but the fact that it only weighs 2700 lbs is pretty remarkable for an electric. I think it would be a more appealing car with that extended range battery because even if it does gain a few hundred pounds it's still not heavy like virtually every other electric car.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Powershift posted:

In his defense, the impala he posted could technically still be a 2014 because GM. I've been thinking of getting one because 2012s with the 300hp v6 and 6 speed auto with 50,000kms can be had for about 12 grand, but to me the impala just seems like the sweatpants of cars. Yeah it's comfortable, functional, and there's really nothing terrible wrong with it, it still seems like a sign that you've given up on life.

Speaking of giving up....

Maybe I have bad taste but I think this looks absolutely adorable. Kind of like the 323 when it was first released. There's no way I'd ever buy one but I suspect I am not the target audience...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The thing you need to remember about the i3 is that the customers who would buy it want a very conspicuous car; think back to when the second-generation Prius launched. It looked different to every other car on the road and the people who bought them loved it, because it made them more obviously "green" than you. Today, the Prius is such a common car that the terminally smug need something even more obvious...enter the i3.

What interests me about the i3 is that it's the first car made primarily CFRP that is attainable to more than a handful of customers. The technology behind this car will spread across the rest of the BMW range before long - the very notion of a 2500-pound 3/4 Series is very exciting, if you ask me. Forget about the i3 being the death of BMW; this is the start of what could be a very exciting era of BMWs.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

MrChips posted:

What interests me about the i3 is that it's the first car made primarily CFRP that is attainable to more than a handful of customers. The technology behind this car will spread across the rest of the BMW range before long - the very notion of a 2500-pound 3/4 Series is very exciting, if you ask me. Forget about the i3 being the death of BMW; this is the start of what could be a very exciting era of BMWs.

The idea of CFRP manufacturing techniques becoming refined to the point that it becomes cheaper to use in more moderately priced cars sounds great, regardless of how those advances come about. This can only be a good thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I feel like the 4C is a better way to play with CFRP at least from a coolness and immediate interest factor, but I do think that the i3 is a pretty key part of BMW's future development. It's a tech demonstrator that they're going to use to a) improve CAFE scores and b) get a bunch of people to beta test for free in real-world environments. The 1e was the alpha, if you will.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Yeah but do you expect me to be seen in a Ford?! *pootles off in his $40k neo-Isetta*

Do these things even pootle? I feel like they'd have far more character if they could license the sound from the Jetsons car.

ynotony posted:

The i3/Tesla comparisons are silly for more reasons than just price. The i3 was designed to be a city car with maximum interior space, minimum exterior space, and only as much battery as it realistically needs in a city

Here is the huge overwhelming problem with this, or any electric 'city' car. People who live in 'the city' either have inconsistent street parking that may or may not be anywhere near where they can get an extension cord out to, or they have spent enough money for an actual garage or reserved space, in which case they're probably the variant of conspicuous consumer that will want a larger car over smaller, or they're lying to themselves about their urban lifestyle, actually live in the suburbs, and have negative utility in a microcar. It might make sense in a Zipcar shared-hub environment, but Zipcar can't spend this kind of money on their fleets and Zipcar members would want something more versatile.

Where these sorts of 'city' cars will end up is in retired-people gated communities in exactly the kind of roles they're already using golf carts for.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Do these things even pootle? I feel like they'd have far more character if they could license the sound from the Jetsons car.

Here is the huge overwhelming problem with this, or any electric 'city' car. People who live in 'the city' either have inconsistent street parking that may or may not be anywhere near where they can get an extension cord out to, or they have spent enough money for an actual garage or reserved space, in which case they're probably the variant of conspicuous consumer that will want a larger car over smaller, or they're lying to themselves about their urban lifestyle, actually live in the suburbs, and have negative utility in a microcar. It might make sense in a Zipcar shared-hub environment, but Zipcar can't spend this kind of money on their fleets and Zipcar members would want something more versatile.

Where these sorts of 'city' cars will end up is in retired-people gated communities in exactly the kind of roles they're already using golf carts for.

I hear what you're saying about consumers lying to themselves about their lifestyle, but that's pretty much how marketing works. Watch an NFL game and you'd think everyone in America was a cowboy who slings hay bales into the back of his pickup truck. Then look at how many pickup trucks you see driving around the city or the burbs that have never seen a hay bale.
As for zipcar, their fleet already contains plenty of 1 series, and a few Vauxhall amperas (Chevy volt), I could easily see some of i3s showing up in their fleet.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
People in cities who have a car and a garage sometimes still need to, you know, go places.

I think they're a pretty nice fit for someone who has a garage spot and a car here in SF (which, considering I'm one of those people isn't an impossible bar to clear if you get a little lucky) and doesn't care about taking it to Tahoe or Yosemite or blasting around in the mountains (also me, which is why I wouldn't buy an i3.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah there are people with homes with garages in cities too. And considering the range it's not like you have to be in the heart of said city to begin with.

And there's a lot more cities around than just densely populated metropolises. I live in a suburb (Orange County) and the electric range would cover most of my driving, and even make it (albeit cut it close) if I have to go to LA and back.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I feel like the 4C is a better way to play with CFRP at least from a coolness and immediate interest factor, but I do think that the i3 is a pretty key part of BMW's future development. It's a tech demonstrator that they're going to use to a) improve CAFE scores and b) get a bunch of people to beta test for free in real-world environments. The 1e was the alpha, if you will.
I think the issue with any other car is that...well just people like us would know and care about it (outside of the usual reasons to care about it). Come out with a wacky electric car and everyone will notice. I don't think they had to go that wacky though, the general shape itself already stands out compared to the rest of the BMW lineup. I still expect/hope they clean up most of the funky bits with a mid cycle refresh. Oh and apparently it's only coming in those orange, silver, and champagne(?) colors. I was thinking it might look ok with tinted windows in black (or even white and just blow out the contrast), but no you only get those three.

As for the 4, I vaguely remember some BMW person talking about the M4 and focusing more on weight reductions rather than more power, so I wouldn't be surprised to see CFRP coming soon through the M cars too.