Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just call him "the Who", it firmly establishes exactly what I'm talking about and staves off all confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bicyclops posted:

Supposedly, the new Doctor Who Magazine will have three excerpts from the audition script for the Twelfth Doctor. Supposedly nothing spoilery (probably just something they whipped up to try and test the person's range), but just in case:

When reading that Peter Woodward flashed into my head.

He would loving rule as a Doctor.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Probably but we at least get some Matt Smith in the Xmas ep.

I'm thinking we won't, the 50th will probably see Matts exit.

Riptor posted:

that is exactly what I want to have happen, but it's not going to unfortunately

I'd love a couple of specials with the first Doctor (played by Bradley) and Tennant before jumping into 12, definitely won't happen though. For a show based around time travel it would be the closest the audience could get to experiencing it themselves to see new adventures involving those doctors. Not crossovers, just unseen adventures being broadcast (like live action audio books)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Supposedly, the new Doctor Who Magazine will have three excerpts from the audition script for the Twelfth Doctor. Supposedly nothing spoilery (probably just something they whipped up to try and test the person's range), but just in case:

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-12th-doctor-audition-scripts-51955.htm

There's also an interview up on IGN where Jenna Coleman says the 50th Anniversary is a transformational episode for the show that will leave them with a "blank canvas" afterward. :sweatdrop:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...erent-direction

So the 12th Doctor is just going to be written like the 11th Doctor. Very creative, Moffat.

Also the more I hear about the 50th the more I'm dreading it. Like really, really dreading it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

So the 12th Doctor is just going to be written like the 11th Doctor. Very creative, Moffat.

Also the more I hear about the 50th the more I'm dreading it. Like really, really dreading it.

To be fair, he has actually said that he had to write placeholder dialogue that resembles Ten and Eleven stuff just to give them something to work with, and that a lot of the writing should be driven by who you cast, rather than the other way round. Much though Moffat has problems, I'm sure people will turn in scripts that are very different once they know what kind of a persona has been hired for Twelve.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Tron posted:

I'd love a couple of specials with the first Doctor (played by Bradley) and Tennant before jumping into 12, definitely won't happen though. For a show based around time travel it would be the closest the audience could get to experiencing it themselves to see new adventures involving those doctors. Not crossovers, just unseen adventures being broadcast (like live action audio books)

I'm pretty sure we've heard Matt talk about filming the Christmas special a few times now. I mean, unless he's been conning everybody and that's why he shaved his head.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm sure that the behaviour/style of the doctor fits the face, not the other way around.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure we've heard Matt talk about filming the Christmas special a few times now. I mean, unless he's been conning everybody and that's why he shaved his head.

He shaved his head because he's playing a creeper in Ryan Gosling's directorial debut.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GonSmithe posted:

He shaved his head because he's playing a creeper in Ryan Gosling's directorial debut.

I am aware of this, but you'd think if he still had BBC commitments they'd have thrown a fit about him shaving his hair off.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I am aware of this, but you'd think if he still had BBC commitments they'd have thrown a fit about him shaving his hair off.

He has a few months off between filming the Gosling thing and the Christmas special, and hair grows back. I doubt the BBC got too hung up about it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Senor Tron posted:

Matt Smith is confirmed to be leaving at Christmas.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm pretty sure that's just generic enough for any actor to have a crack at putting their own spin on it. It still reads quite Smith, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Matt Smith has an answer for that, apparently:

quote:

"The quiff will be there," Smith reassures. "I think it would be quite funny to have the bald [head]. You know Macaulay Culkin in 'Home Alone' with the aftershave? I think the Doctor could wake up and go 'Ahhh!'"

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/07/doctor-who-matt-smith-talks-the-doctors-hair-and-courting-new-fans.html

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
The next Doctor's identity will be revealed in a live BBC1 show that begins 7pm, Sunday.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Peter Capaldi has come out of nowhere to be the bookies favourite to get the job apparently?! A late betting surge like that often indicates some insider knowledge, if they stop taking bets the jig will be up!

They are showing it live in the US on BBC America at the same time as the UK showing, 2pm EST 7pm UK time.

Laivaren
Sep 15, 2006

Didn't he have a pretty big role in one of the seasons of Torchwood? I doubt it's him, people probably started betting on him, since he was in World War Z. "Ooo he's british, maybe he's the new Doctor?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laivaren posted:

Didn't he have a pretty big role in one of the seasons of Torchwood? I doubt it's him, people probably started betting on him, since he was in World War Z. "Ooo he's british, maybe he's the new Doctor?"

He had a recurring role on Skins, that's where my girlfriend recognized him from.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Fazana posted:

Peter Capaldi has come out of nowhere to be the bookies favourite to get the job apparently?! A late betting surge like that often indicates some insider knowledge, if they stop taking bets the jig will be up!

They are showing it live in the US on BBC America at the same time as the UK showing, 2pm EST 7pm UK time.

I don't think it's him though since he's been directing and starring in some big name movies recently although having Malcolm Tucker play the Doctor would be something special.

Laivaren posted:

Didn't he have a pretty big role in one of the seasons of Torchwood?

He was Caecilius in the Pompei episode and also starred as the main government contact in the only decent season of Torchwood.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

He was Caecilius in the Pompei episode and also starred as the main government contact in the only decent season of Torchwood.

There's precedent for the new Doctor to have played a very Roman (looking) character in the show previously.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
This could also set a casting precedent for Fires of Pompeii specifically.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Coq au Nandos posted:

This could also set a casting precedent for Fires of Pompeii specifically.

Or rather, continue the casting precedent, when one of the soothsayers was later cast as Amy Pond. :)

Menator
Dec 9, 2008
Capaldi would be amazing, although I'm having difficulty meshing his acting with the current style of writing. I can't help but envision a far darker Doctor with him is all. The Master would seem a more sensible choice for him.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Capaldi would be amazing for a ton of reasons, but in particular I just think they could make the physical transformation during the regeneration from Smith to him look really interesting since they're so physically different.

Speaking of which, anyone else feel like the visual effects from when Tennant regenerated to Smith was super crappy looking compared to when Eccleston turned into Tennant? I always feel like we got scammed a bit

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yep, the Ten-Eleven regeneration scene is mostly hidden by the regeneration energy flying everywhere, so one second your looking at Tennant and the next second your looking at Smith.

At least with Nine-Ten you could see hair growing, his face changing shape, etc. I was very impressed when I first saw it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Menator posted:

I can't help but envision a far darker Doctor

I agree, the next Doctor should be Taye Diggs.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There's no way a guy in his mid-50s is going to be cast as the Doctor in the current form of the show, where the companion is 27 and Doctor-companion flirting has become such a major part of the show and its target demographic appeal.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
After seeing the press release and them hyping it up much more than I expected them to, especially with it being simulcast in the US, I'm fairly sure they've got someone we'd recognise lined up. I can't see them going to all this trouble and Bert Bloggs from the Northampton Theatre circuit is rolled out to universal "Who?" *heads off to google*

If it was a low key actor they'd announce it like Smith and gradually build us up to knowing him and why he'd be a good fit before Christmas turns up. Shoving it out there on a Sunday evening right after Songs of Praise suggest they want to sing who they got from the rooftops! Then again tt might be because they've signed a female lead, Coleman being retained makes me doubt that though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Wonder if they would go with an older actor like Capaldi if Moffat has some plans to tie him in to the Valeyard. I know that really doesn't make any sense beyond them being around the same age when they will play their parts, but the recent mention of the Valeyard at least highlights that it's a plot point that Moffat is aware of to some degree. Whether he'll be the one to tackle the Valeyard though is another matter.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Dear Doctor Who Spoiler Thread,

They're not going to be doing the Valeyard, and they're not bringing the Rani back.

If either of these things happen, I will happily give anyone who predicted either thing Two British Pounds.

Sincerely,
Barry Foster

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

While I doubt the Rani will ever come back, the Valeyard got a name drop in the most recent episode so I wouldn't entirely discount the possibility.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Teek posted:

While I doubt the Rani will ever come back, the Valeyard got a name drop in the most recent episode so I wouldn't entirely discount the possibility.

That was an inconsequential name-drop nod to the fans. They're not going to be dredging up some relatively obscure stuff, from the worst period of Doctor Who history, to serve as the focus of the series. It'd alienate the majority of the viewing audience.

Especially considering they're already doing the 'a version of the Doctor but evil' thing for the 50th, and they're unlikely to drink from that well twice.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

They're not going to be dredging up some relatively obscure stuff, from the worst period of Doctor Who history, to serve as the focus of the series. It'd alienate the majority of the viewing audience.

I understand what you mean. I guess it's just that when Moffat brings back the Great Intelligence, a character from two incomplete serials, I never say never.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
I'm bored while waiting for my son to turn up, so here you go with the "official" odds pages for the next Doctor Who

Ladbrokes
http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/TV,-Film-and-Radio-c110000052
Peter Capaldi 6/4
Rory Kinnear 2/1
Ben Daniels 4/1
Daniel Rigby 4/1

William Hill
http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/e/4525088/To%2bReplace%2bMatt%2bSmith%2bas%2bthe%2bDoctor%253f.html
Capaldi 5/4
Daniels, Kinnear, Rigby all 5/1

Paddy Power appears to have taken their odds page down which is ominous, perhaps they've been advised the news is out there? Anyways they have
Capaldi 7/4
Daniels 4/1
Kinnear 6/1

The likes of Idris Elba are 12/1 at Ladbrokes, Ben Whishaw at 12/1 with William Hill and Billie Piper at 33/1 with Paddy Power ?!

The most amusing name listed (to me at least!) was William Hill having Jason Statham at 100/1 :v:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Fazana posted:

After seeing the press release and them hyping it up much more than I expected them to, especially with it being simulcast in the US, I'm fairly sure they've got someone we'd recognise lined up. I can't see them going to all this trouble and Bert Bloggs from the Northampton Theatre circuit is rolled out to universal "Who?" *heads off to google*

If it was a low key actor they'd announce it like Smith and gradually build us up to knowing him and why he'd be a good fit before Christmas turns up. Shoving it out there on a Sunday evening right after Songs of Praise suggest they want to sing who they got from the rooftops! Then again tt might be because they've signed a female lead, Coleman being retained makes me doubt that though.

Maybe I'm missing something since I wasn't actually watching the show yet when Matt Smith was announced, but how is this significantly different than the way they announced him? They produced a TV special to make the announcement, just like they're doing here. The biggest difference I see is the fact that it's airing simultaneously in the US, but I really think that's just a natural consequence of the show's growing popularity over here.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Chairman Capone posted:

There's no way a guy in his mid-50s is going to be cast as the Doctor in the current form of the show, where the companion is 27 and Doctor-companion flirting has become such a major part of the show and its target demographic appeal.

They could certainly get around that by having an older Doctor and a "power couple" between JLC and some hunky younger guy. Basically an updated version of Two, Jamie, and Victoria, only this time Jamie isn't just going to quietly pine away for the refined Victorian gal. :getin:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Diabolik900 posted:

Maybe I'm missing something since I wasn't actually watching the show yet when Matt Smith was announced, but how is this significantly different than the way they announced him? They produced a TV special to make the announcement, just like they're doing here. The biggest difference I see is the fact that it's airing simultaneously in the US, but I really think that's just a natural consequence of the show's growing popularity over here.

The episode this Sunday is live, and they are promoting it as something very dramatic and exciting, rather than last time where it was a prerecorded episode whose promotion was much more subdued and quiet.

I don't think that means anything myself, but the reasoning that it could mean its a known actor isn't awful.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Fazana posted:

I'm bored while waiting for my son to turn up, so here you go with the "official" odds pages for the next Doctor Who

Ladbrokes
http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/TV,-Film-and-Radio-c110000052
Peter Capaldi 6/4
Rory Kinnear 2/1
Ben Daniels 4/1
Daniel Rigby 4/1

William Hill
http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/e/4525088/To%2bReplace%2bMatt%2bSmith%2bas%2bthe%2bDoctor%253f.html
Capaldi 5/4
Daniels, Kinnear, Rigby all 5/1

Paddy Power appears to have taken their odds page down which is ominous, perhaps they've been advised the news is out there? Anyways they have
Capaldi 7/4
Daniels 4/1
Kinnear 6/1

The likes of Idris Elba are 12/1 at Ladbrokes, Ben Whishaw at 12/1 with William Hill and Billie Piper at 33/1 with Paddy Power ?!

The most amusing name listed (to me at least!) was William Hill having Jason Statham at 100/1 :v:

Note since you posted that Daniel Rigby's odds keep falling and falling on Ladbrokes, Hes now 2/1.

Looks like the name might have been leaked, and he fits the Matt Smith / David Tennant mold in terms of how they choose the doctors.

Shabaz
Apr 23, 2007
left handed

Chairman Capone posted:

To offer a slight counterpoint, Moffat has said that during the casting of eleven they explicitly were looking for an older actor, and they only deviated from their plan because of the strong performance Smith gave in auditions. Part of it was that he wanted someone who could roughly match Alex Kingston in age. Her story seems to kind of have run its course, but it does show that the production team never was really locked in to 'young dreamboat guy' or any such thing for eleven.

Also, it is clear from interviews with both RTD and Moffat that they consider their primary audience to be kids. They might have different ideas about what those kids want compared to the old show's production staff, but I honestly don't think they're consciously making the show for the Tumblr crowd or anything like that.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

ukle posted:

Note since you posted that Daniel Rigby's odds keep falling and falling on Ladbrokes, Hes now 2/1.

Looks like the name might have been leaked, and he fits the Matt Smith / David Tennant mold in terms of how they choose the doctors.

William Hill have just pulled their page so I suspect the name is indeed out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Fazana posted:

Then again tt might be because they've signed a female lead, Coleman being retained makes me doubt that though.

In asylum of the Daleks she did say that she went through a phase. :pervert:

• Locked thread