Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slavvy posted:

I wish more people who come into my work did this, instead of 'Last winter there was this minute rustling noise detectable only in a sound-damping chamber on a full moon by a south African fruit bat. FIX MY BROKEN CAR IMMEDIATELY I HAVE WARRANTYYYYYY'

Had a guy once who absolutely insisted his tires were out of balance. 4 times in a row. After multiple test drives, including one I did with him in the passenger's seat on the freeway. I couldn't feel a drat thing, but he insisted that the steering wheel was shaking and of course it was our fault. :rolleyes: Wound up putting a set of Eagle GTs on (this was a Prius btw) free of charge, for "Customer Satisfaction." Hope he enjoys the softer rubber compound, can't be great for fuel economy though. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Had a guy once who absolutely insisted his tires were out of balance. 4 times in a row. After multiple test drives, including one I did with him in the passenger's seat on the freeway. I couldn't feel a drat thing, but he insisted that the steering wheel was shaking and of course it was our fault. :rolleyes: Wound up putting a set of Eagle GTs on (this was a Prius btw) free of charge, for "Customer Satisfaction." Hope he enjoys the softer rubber compound, can't be great for fuel economy though. :smug:

That sounds about right. You work for a Toyota dealer I take it? I like the ones that insist the car makes a funny noise it shouldn't and you have to convince them that the car just sounds that way because of the design. A couple of times I've had to line up a handful of identical showroom models and demonstrate, one by one, that it's just how the cars are.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

No dealer, I'm at a retail auto service center, rhymes with "Beers" which you need quite a lot of to stay sane working here.

Dealer techs get treated even worse than we do, but at least they make enough to live independently for their troubles. Ask me about making $800 a month, maximum hypothetical paycheck I could get is ~650 for 2 weeks, IF by some miracle we got enough shift hours to get everyone full time (lol). But hey I make more standing around when there's no business than the upper techs and managers so I should quit bitching. :shepicide:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fucknag posted:

No dealer, I'm at a retail auto service center, rhymes with "Beers" which you need quite a lot of to stay sane working here.

Dealer techs get treated even worse than we do, but at least they make enough to live independently for their troubles. Ask me about making $800 a month, maximum hypothetical paycheck I could get is ~650 for 2 weeks, IF by some miracle we got enough shift hours to get everyone full time (lol). But hey I make more standing around when there's no business than the upper techs and managers so I should quit bitching. :shepicide:

I'm the dealership foreman of two mechanics, including myself. poo poo's EZ brah.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Fucknag posted:

I'm at a small family-owned shop. I'm doing just about as well, if you want to call it that. :sigh:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Let's hear it for 2.6 flat rate hour days :iamafag:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Slavvy posted:

Jesus christ. Is that brake immersed in some sort of fluid, like a motorbike clutch, or is it just a stack of dry plates? Where does the caliper pressure come from? How is 'mileage' measured on aircraft tyres? As in, is that tyre failure something that could've been prevented by inspecting/testing thge tyre or is it just one of those things?
No one really measures "mileage" on aircraft tires. On most commercial aircraft the tires are checked for pressure and wear every few days by maintenance and checked for obvious issues by the pilots before each flight. Normally tires are replaced after X number of flights with that number varying depending on the type of tire/aircraft. There are a few notable exceptions like the space shuttle which had it's main tires replaced every single flight.

In keeping with the theme of the thread: They made sure to test the tires out first

Slavvy posted:

I don't know anything about aircraft brakes/landing gear so this is really fascinating.

Oh and aircraft brakes are immensely overpowered. Aborting a takeoff in an airliner is similar to trying to stop an apartment building going 150MPH. A maximum effort aborted takeoff will put so much energy into the brakes that it will melt the giant stack of disks into one molten mass of expensive aircraft parts. The wheels are designed with plugs in them that are supposed to melt and relieve pressure before the tires literally explode on the rims.

Here's a video of an A340 rejected takeoff certification attempt. The first 5 minutes are kind of slow, but it provides a nice build up to the epic cluster gently caress of an ending. As you're watching keep in mind that this thing is carrying 50,000 gallons of jet fuel.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Here's a video of the 747-8 RTO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_v6tXsv6g

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

B-1 brake packs.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KodiakRS posted:

Here's a video of an A340 rejected takeoff certification attempt. The first 5 minutes are kind of slow, but it provides a nice build up to the epic cluster gently caress of an ending. As you're watching keep in mind that this thing is carrying 50,000 gallons of jet fuel.

I've seen that before and the communication during that test was very bad. The relief plugs on the tires failed, and then as the pressure kept climbing due to the fire, the wheels failed before the tires did.

They're lucky nobody got hurt or killed, the communication with the firecrew in particular was awful, it doesn't seem like there was even any brief or plan.

Here's an overweight landing test in the A380. Just on the test rig, not a real A/C, but it's still impressive. This is about 6800 horsepower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1dv_y_3EK0

Jonny Nox posted:

I wonder if they design engine mounts to sheer gracefully if someone has installed them with a forklift.

Well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_191#Engine_separation

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 2, 2013

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I love the fact that Airliner manufacturers are just assuming someone is going to fly a plane with 100% worn brakes, broken wheel fuses, and overloaded (sometimes all of the above) and making sure no one gets killed.

I wonder if they design engine mounts to sheer gracefully if someone has installed them with a forklift.

SiB
May 6, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Why do you even get out of bed for that?

I know it's a pretty general question, but what do journeyman auto techs make in the US? I'm in Canada.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

SiB posted:

Why do you even get out of bed for that?

I know it's a pretty general question, but what do journeyman auto techs make in the US? I'm in Canada.

My top guy gets $35 per hour flagged and I could conquer the world with 10 more of him.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jonny Nox posted:

I love the fact that Airliner manufacturers are just assuming someone is going to fly a plane with 100% worn brakes, broken wheel fuses, and overloaded (sometimes all of the above) and making sure no one gets killed.

Its just common for this industry to design for the absolute worst case scenario.

Love this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

SiB posted:

My husband currently makes $12/h hourly and $13/h flat-rate on top of the hourly wage. He was making $13/$14 but he took a small paycut when he moved to a new shop, but he has full weekends off for the first time since we've been together. Every job he has had has just barely covered him on health insurance (or not at all) with a $1000 jump a month to cover dependents. He has made "more" than that, but it was usually just flat rate, so the slow days made up for it. He's working in the Bay Area, California. He's technically the lead tech of a small shop that is attached to a tow company and auto body business.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

Its just common for this industry to design for the absolute worst case scenario.

Love this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0

Is that a rubber ducky on the wing?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Sure, it's staged.. but I KNOW THESE PEOPLE *

* I'm related to them. :suicide:

Image Macro abuse (C) STR

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I made $8.25 an hour as the lowest tech at a small shop (three guys including myself). I literally got paid more to clean toilets at a ski resort than I did turning wrenches on Range Rovers and Jaguars. I love fixing cars though, to me it was an awesome opportunity as my first real mechanic job. My current job pays much better and is much easier, but the job satisfaction is lower and I really miss being elbow deep in engines all day.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Needs more fiber apparently. :v:

what the coolant came out of:

Guess water since 1990 has a small effect on radiators.

SiB
May 6, 2005
God drat. Journeyman here make $35-40 flat rate with bonuses up to $45/hr. Free healthcare and benefits. Government will even pay you to be an immigrant! We can't find enough techs here..... Any of you want to move to Canada?! 200 flat rate hours per month is not unusual that's for sure.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At my retail chain, my entry level position is straight hourly at $9.25 an hour. After that it goes to split rate, half hourly and half "commission" (which is actually flat rate but I think a lot lower than real shops.) Hourly rate is something like $6 for tech 2s, $9 for tech 3s and maybe $10-11 for tech 4s (we don't have one at my shop.) For the upper techs a $1200 paycheck is making bank, and again that's biweekly, so good but not fantastic.

I've been averaging $250-300 for most of the year due to corporate slashing our hour pool, only been picking back up in summer. I could easily pull $500 back when tech 1s were split rate too, my highest was the last before pure hourly pay kicked in at over $700. That's back when I was training to be promoted to tech 2, which they then rescinded when my productivity dropped after my paychecks dropped from 700 to under 400 for the same amount of hours worked (GEE I WONDER WHY), and then used my outrage at having it taken away as the new justification for why I didn't get it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I decided to pull the head off the 1.6 diesel. I was gonna replace the headgasket with a MLS one from a tdi.

:suicide:

Gonna cancel the order on the adapter plate.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Phanatic posted:

I've seen that before and the communication during that test was very bad. The relief plugs on the tires failed, and then as the pressure kept climbing due to the fire, the wheels failed before the tires did.

"Guys, could we have some stairs please? We want to get out of here. Guys? Guys... Oh, putain!"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Munin posted:

"Guys, could we have some stairs please? We want to get out of here. Guys? Guys... Oh, putain!"

I would have used that as the excuse to ride the fun-slide, but I know some aviation testing guru is gonna go all captain killjoy on me

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

drat thing near killed me ... forgot I had it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

West SAAB Story posted:

Sure, it's staged.. but I KNOW THESE PEOPLE *

I know them too. Stop pouring with the bottle upside down, dammit!

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Fucknag posted:

At my retail chain, my entry level position is straight hourly at $9.25 an hour. After that it goes to split rate, half hourly and half "commission" (which is actually flat rate but I think a lot lower than real shops.) Hourly rate is something like $6 for tech 2s, $9 for tech 3s and maybe $10-11 for tech 4s (we don't have one at my shop.) For the upper techs a $1200 paycheck is making bank, and again that's biweekly, so good but not fantastic.

I've been averaging $250-300 for most of the year due to corporate slashing our hour pool, only been picking back up in summer. I could easily pull $500 back when tech 1s were split rate too, my highest was the last before pure hourly pay kicked in at over $700. That's back when I was training to be promoted to tech 2, which they then rescinded when my productivity dropped after my paychecks dropped from 700 to under 400 for the same amount of hours worked (GEE I WONDER WHY), and then used my outrage at having it taken away as the new justification for why I didn't get it.

This poo poo is exactly why mechanics need/have to put up with unions. If this poo poo had happened at any of the places I've worked the shop would have been burnt to the ground by someone.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Jonny Nox posted:

Aircraft design has a lot of idiot-proofing, that's for sure.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

SiB posted:

God drat. Journeyman here make $35-40 flat rate with bonuses up to $45/hr. Free healthcare and benefits. Government will even pay you to be an immigrant! We can't find enough techs here..... Any of you want to move to Canada?! 200 flat rate hours per month is not unusual that's for sure.

Yeah, I'd honestly love to. Maybe someday. :sigh:

Joe Mama posted:

This poo poo is exactly why mechanics need/have to put up with unions. If this poo poo had happened at any of the places I've worked the shop would have been burnt to the ground by someone.

Okay, who's going to tell him about "Right To Work" states? :allears:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The solution to "right to work" is more unionization, and more radical union tactics. However, things aren't bad enough for the average joe that they would consider kneecapping scabs a worthwhile endeavor.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hmm. This seems to be a bad place to be stuck.

Broadway curve eastbound on I10, during rush hour. Why am I stuck here?

Oh, it's the gooniest roadside assistance ever! Why did I call them?

Motherfucker. :smithicide: Blew up while doing about 60 in the HOV lane, but in a remarkably controlled manner. Called for help because there's no loving way I'm changing a passenger side tire, on the inside median of I10, with my back to fast-moving rush hour traffic a foot away. I actually figured they'd call for a tow, not a guy in a Miata with a floor jack, a high visibility safety vest, and a cordless impact... but then it was him with his back to traffic, not me, and he was a lot quicker than I would've been with a hand wrench and a screw jack.

Him: "Oh, by the way, that spare doesn't look too good..."
Me: "Yeah, I'm just going to get off the freeway right now and take surface streets the rest of the way."

30 minutes of puttering down side roads later...

:shepicide:

Lesson learned: Don't trust tires that have to be at least four years old, or the original spare which has to be pushing 15. I get to see if I can fit five tires and wheels in the back of the CR-V tomorrow!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You gotta admit, having a guy turn up in a Miata for roadside assistance is a pretty good story. What'd he have in the car besides the jack and impact?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Harbor Freight aluminum floorjack, cordless impact that I'd guess was a Craftsman given the color, a couple of small jugs of gas, and a thick foam mat to work on. Probably some jumper cables or a box back there too, and then that's probably it. Not much else going into the back of a NA!

The photos don't do the traffic justice, either. When it actually happened all of the non-HOV lanes were bumper-to-bumper at 40 and while the road was opening up, it just meant that the cars were doing 85 instead of 40.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

SiB posted:

Where the hell are you in Canada? I'm in BC, and the techs at our shop (Motorcycle, ATV, UTV) are at $35 an hour, no benefits or even coffee breaks! I'm a 3rd/4th year apprentice by hours, not schooling and I get $20 hourly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I love the smell of melting pistons in the morning. The picture really doesn't do justice to the color and volume of smoke coming out of this poor thing.

Invisible dirigible! (-87,750kgs) It's like something so heavy went over it, it spun all the way around back into legal load territory.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I do research with the material these brakes are made of!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh, it's the gooniest roadside assistance ever! Why did I call them?

Where the hell do I sign up to do roadside assistance in my Miata?! :dance:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
When I saw that picture my first thought was 'Why did the guy in the roadside assistance truck put a sticker on your windshield?'

SiB
May 6, 2005

DefaultPeanut posted:

Where the hell are you in Canada? I'm in BC, and the techs at our shop (Motorcycle, ATV, UTV) are at $35 an hour, no benefits or even coffee breaks! I'm a 3rd/4th year apprentice by hours, not schooling and I get $20 hourly.

Alberta!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Raluek posted:

Is this as bad as it looks? :(

Weird that the bearing doesn't seem to have the little knick that aligns it in the cap. As such it was sliding around. Normal?

Crosspost from the stupid thread. It's a spun bearing. Guess what? All of them are spun. Except #3, for some reason. 1,2,4,5,6,7, and 8 are all spun. :shepspends:

Don't trust people on Craigslist, folks!