Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halman posted:

No actually fascist film (they exist, go watch one, they aren't super subtle) is going to be like 'welp, we showed that the 'liberal communist' response to the giant monsters wasnt' the best. That'll be anti-communist enough for Der Fuhrer, right?' You would have never had the Russians or the Chinese be one of the effective/still surviving teams, especially given how evocative Cherno Alpha's design is of soviet aesthetic.
Also the film is pretty explicit that the world's elite, those sneaky bourgeoisie, have some secret plan for themselves. The world's working classes are left to fend for themselves, and super importantly, are the ones who succeed, in the form of the multi-national PPDC that has seized the means of Kaiju killing(ie production), in ending the threat.
You could maybe argue that the russian and chinese robots dying like bitches while the super cool western ones kick all the rear end and save the day is anti-communist, but that's pretty subtle(Fascists aren't subtle).

No-one in Starship Troopers is openly anti-communist, and the film takes place in Argentina - which is depicted as part of a multinational federation. By this standard, the fascist society in Starship Troopers is not fascist either.

Cherno Alpha obviously isn't a communist robot, since it's built by the brutal, authoritarian capitalist Russia of Putin. The Chinese robot is also not communist, but a product of "capitalism with Asian values."

It's fairly clear that their defeat by the precursor's copies represent the failure of communism. Again, the precursor universe is a dark mirror - meaning that Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon always-already were slaves to the rich. The traits of the Russian and Chinese cultures were appropriated by the capitalists and turned against them.

When folks celebrate Cherno Alpha and then fistpump over Leatherback's smoldering corpse, they don't seem to realize that they are the same character.

Also, I don't see how belief in a 'sneaky elite' is incompatible with fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Dirty Sock
Nov 4, 2005

Death to Legoland!
Pacific Rim is about how the War on Terror (Kaiju) has created a global surveillance state (the Drift) with the result being the end of personal privacy which comes from our jingoistic acceptance of the PATRIOT (PPDC) Act. The Jaegars represent the now subjugated working class, literally mind-controlled by the major economies of the world.

It is most certainly too deep for you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

A Dirty Sock posted:

Pacific Rim is about how the War on Terror (Kaiju) has created a global surveillance state (the Drift) with the result being the end of personal privacy which comes from our jingoistic acceptance of the PATRIOT (PPDC) Act. The Jaegars represent the now subjugated working class, literally mind-controlled by the major economies of the world.

It is most certainly too deep for you.

Obviously your qualms are with the mere existence of political subject matter (free-associated buzzwords in parentheses as halfhearted parody) and not any of the thought behind it (writing that doesn't resemble anything by myself or others).

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Space Jam 2: Pacific Slam
Pacific Rim 2: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

In the climactic scene, Barkley Danger performs the first and only recorded interdimensional chaos dunk off of a double alley-oop from Crimson Typhoon II and Cherno Omega to defeat the alien overlords.

Edit: VV I want feature length, dammit :mad:

Verloc fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 6, 2013

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Verloc posted:

Pacific Rim 2: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

In the climactic scene, Barkley Danger performs the first and only recorded interdimensional chaos dunk off of a double alley-oop from Crimson Typhoon II and Cherno Omega to defeat the alien overlords.

Already made dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM0pzZndTSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oCF-QFuoYs

EDIT: There was a comic as well (I am pretty sure I have this laying around somewhere): http://thegutterblog.wordpress.com/2010/01/22/late-to-the-rack-a-godzilla-vs-barkley-play-by-play/

Wank fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 6, 2013

A Dirty Sock
Nov 4, 2005

Death to Legoland!
The good news is that a sequel has been confirmed.* The bad news is that they cut the budget a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1YOFH39z7w

* Nothing's been confirmed, I lied.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

A Dirty Sock posted:

The good news is that a sequel has been confirmed.* The bad news is that they cut the budget a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1YOFH39z7w

* Nothing's been confirmed, I lied.

That was cool and all but I was kind of hoping it would have gone Step Up 3D style.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
I know toychat is old, but Thinkgeek has Crimson Typhoon in stock for 20 bucks. Considering how all the other online scalpers are selling the figure for double or triple that, I thought I would give you guys a heads up.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/111f/?pfm=Search&t=pacific%20rim

*One of my college friends who works in the 3D business in LA jumped on this instantly. I'm waiting for more figures to come in stock so I can give my kid a good birthday.

Ramen Pride! fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 6, 2013

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Spacebump posted:

Did anyone else notice one of the pilots of Crimson Typhoon always had a basketball on him when they weren't in their jaeger?

It makes more sense/is explained in the novelization, where the three of them are constantly dribbling the ball back and forth without even looking, they're that in tune with each other even outside the drift.

The novelization was worth the price just for the scene with the Chinese bitching about the Russians' music, and the Russians' reply:

"If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life."

Ramen Pride! posted:

I know toychat is old, but Thinkgeek has Crimson Typhoon in stock for 20 bucks.
As do Hastings, Target, and Toys-R-Us, if you want it tomorrow. My local Toys-R-Us only had Typhoon.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Delivery McGee posted:

It makes more sense/is explained in the novelization, where the three of them are constantly dribbling the ball back and forth without even looking, they're that in tune with each other even outside the drift.

Yeah, I liked the drift "after effects" mentioned in the novel, like the Jaegers twitching while stored while the pilots slept.

quote:

As do Hastings, Target, and Toys-R-Us, if you want it tomorrow. My local Toys-R-Us only had Typhoon.

Hmmm. Thanks! My kid wants a Gipsy, but things have been grim.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Danger posted:

That is not to say that this is the "wrong" way to view the film or that it makes a person bad or whatever, but that they implicitly support the ideological assertions that the film makes. There's nothing wrong with liking a movie, even a movie you find politically distasteful; but at least examine what you are liking.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

At the same time, the message is that the only thing separating us from being mere dogs and puppets is commitment to an ethical ideal.

The ideological assertion - the ethical ideal - I perceived is that the aliens were literally single-mindedly determined to commit genocide, and should be stopped. Not destroyed, stopped. They weren't trying to kill all humans because they were abject; they are abject because they have committed to the decision to kill all humans.

At least correctly identify the contrivance. They clearly think and feel - how could Newt have drifted with them if not? - but those thoughts and feelings were contrived to brook no possibility for surrender by either side.

Yes, they are the dark mirror of the humans - both are united under and dedicated to a single purpose, creating ever-improving two-brained colossal war machines, sending them on suicide missions to another dimension, merging minds to gain intel, and so forth. But there is one very important difference between them, and it's not racial.

The abjection in this film is based on repeated, unrepentant attempts at the worst known crime. I don't agree with SMG that this is a problematic moral stance for a work of fiction.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So the Russians are gangsters! :haw:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Scyantific posted:

So the Russians are gangsters! :haw:

Chuck calls them prison guards in the novel. Between that and the nuke they get for Stacker... oh yeah, they're shady.

That picture is adorable though.

A Dirty Sock
Nov 4, 2005

Death to Legoland!

Gatts posted:

That was cool and all but I was kind of hoping it would have gone Step Up 3D style.

In the third film, Gipsy has to hold a dance competition to save the historic Hong Kong shatterdome from the Precursors developers who are going to tear it down to build a state-of-the-art terraforming station.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Wank posted:

I think they built-up Crimson Typhoon to be a particularly efficient Kaiju killer - the fact that it gets taken out first is more of a "Holy gently caress" moment than a "Crimson Typhoon is a red-shirt" moment.

I still think the movie could have done better to show more Crimson Typhoon and Cherno as better set up leading up to the Hong Kong battle.

And anyway there is basically no Japanese jaeger in this.. how will they take that!?

In addition to Coyote Tango there is the much more Japanese Tacit Ronin, which was briefly shown in the opening exposition.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

emoltra posted:

In addition to Coyote Tango there is the much more Japanese Tacit Ronin, which was briefly shown in the opening exposition.

That's anime as gently caress.(tm)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

They weren't trying to kill all humans because they were abject; they are abject because they have committed to the decision to kill all humans.

[...] The abjection in this film is based on repeated, unrepentant attempts at the worst known crime. I don't agree with SMG that this is a problematic moral stance for a work of fiction.

It's the difference between positing humanity as a baseline from which we deviate by committing crimes or whatever, and presenting inhumanity and monstrosity as inherent to, and constituent of, being human.

You can see how the former stance already implicitly upholds a status quo - saying the existing system is ok, besides a handful of corrupt individuals (e.g. Jeff Bridges in Iron Man).

The trouble with fascists anyways is that they are 'too human'. It's easy to dismiss them as subhuman beasts, when human weaknesses are what lead them to shift the burden of freedom and responsibility onto the leader, the nation and so-on. The prime recent example is the figure of Bane in Dark Knight 3, who acts as a theatrical, over-the-top revolutionary character before revealing his 'human side' and its corresponding allegiance to the quasi-fascist league of shadows. Against the commonsense idea that "it's what's inside that counts," it's this 'human side' that smells of bullshit. The performed character is actually the true self - the ethical subject and authentic revolutionary. See also Zod in Man Of Steel, who uses his duty to his people as an excuse to avoid the terrifying burden of freedom and, therefore, is not a Superman.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

emoltra posted:

:swoon:

I want it. I want ALL of it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sword hands? I guess Japan and China both don't give a gently caress about the toxic blood.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's the difference between positing humanity as a baseline from which we deviate by committing crimes or whatever, and presenting inhumanity and monstrosity as inherent to, and constituent of, being human.

You can see how the former stance already implicitly upholds a status quo - saying the existing system is ok, besides a handful of corrupt individuals (e.g. Jeff Bridges in Iron Man).

The trouble with fascists anyways is that they are 'too human'. It's easy to dismiss them as subhuman beasts, when human weaknesses are what lead them to shift the burden of freedom and responsibility onto the leader, the nation and so-on. The prime recent example is the figure of Bane in Dark Knight 3, who acts as a theatrical, over-the-top revolutionary character before revealing his 'human side' and its corresponding allegiance to the quasi-fascist league of shadows. Against the commonsense idea that "it's what's inside that counts," it's this 'human side' that smells of bullshit. The performed character is actually the true self - the ethical subject and authentic revolutionary. See also Zod in Man Of Steel, who uses his duty to his people as an excuse to avoid the terrifying burden of freedom and, therefore, is not a Superman.

This is interesting. I notice that you say "a status quo" but I think that following up on that would lead from criticism to politics, which would be regrettable. My own post was pretty dangerously in that way to begin with. There's something in here, too, about the portrayal of moral status as an innate quality that leads to moral behavior, rather than a reflection of that behavior, but I think it is escaping me.

It's been an enjoyable conversation and I'm sorry to say I have nothing more to add to it at this time.

ChihiroCutie
May 9, 2013

i love you shaun-kun

emoltra posted:

i would love to have a model of that :swoon:
it's a shame it didnt play any big part in the movie

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Go on Ebay, buy a giant bin of Bionicle/Hero Factory Legos for like 20 dollars, make your own Tacit Ronin. That stuff's tailor-made for making something like Tacit Ronin.

Someone made a moderately good, small Crimson Typhoon out of mostly Bionicle parts.
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/364516

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Mu Zeta posted:

Sword hands? I guess Japan and China both don't give a gently caress about the toxic blood.

I don't know if it's mentioned re Crimson Typhoon, but most/all of the fixed jaeger blades, at least, are superheated to cauterize as they cut.

Cherno Alpha, on the other hand (and to a lesser extent Gipsy Mod0) dispensed with the cutting and just did the cauterizing -- those things on Cherno's shoulders are jet engines with the exhausts facing forward, and the "head" is a fuel tank for them. Gipsy's chest turbine, of course, runs directly off the reactor heat, but on the same principle. Hug --> burninate.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 6, 2013

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So I just realized this thing is out and I'm wondering what's the preference on this film: 2d or 3d? Googling seems to indicate the 3d was added in a post process and Guillermo Del Toro didn't exactly want 3d to be added to this film because of scale and what-not, so it's not built from the ground up to be as good 3d experience as possible.

Last 3d film I saw was the hobbit in 60fps, and I liked it. I hated Avatar though. All being said there's only an early (17:45) showing for the 2d version on "theatre 5" of the local film theatre, meaning it's a small one :( Judging by the showing previous to it I'm risking a chance of the bastards showing the 2d film with 3d lenses. I saw the latest Pirates of The Caribbean that way, it was a miserable experience, everything looked dark, only to find about the lense controversy later on. My local theatre uses XpanD as their 3D tech/supplier if that matters.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
GDT ended up supervising the 3D post-conversion personally. Since most of the film is CG, the 3D effect was actually very good, one of the best 3D films I've seen in fact.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Dessel posted:

So I just realized this thing is out and I'm wondering what's the preference on this film: 2d or 3d? Googling seems to indicate the 3d was added in a post process and Guillermo Del Toro didn't exactly want 3d to be added to this film because of scale and what-not, so it's not built from the ground up to be as good 3d experience as possible.

Last 3d film I saw was the hobbit in 60fps, and I liked it. I hated Avatar though. All being said there's only an early (17:45) showing for the 2d version on "theatre 5" of the local film theatre, meaning it's a small one :( Judging by the showing previous to it I'm risking a chance of the bastards showing the 2d film with 3d lenses. I saw the latest Pirates of The Caribbean that way, it was a miserable experience, everything looked dark, only to find about the lense controversy later on. My local theatre uses XpanD as their 3D tech/supplier if that matters.

This movie is probably the best I have seen in terms of using the 3d technology to its fullest. It doesn't seem like it was done just for it's own sake (which I feel a lot of movies did when 3d became the next big thing), but rather was used in a way that takes advantage of the 3d technology to enhance the entire viewing process, not just some generic omg-its-coming-out-the-screen scene.

Sneebs
Jan 16, 2013

Only mildly disheveled

xxEightxx posted:

This movie is probably the best I have seen in terms of using the 3d technology to its fullest. It doesn't seem like it was done just for it's own sake (which I feel a lot of movies did when 3d became the next big thing), but rather was used in a way that takes advantage of the 3d technology to enhance the entire viewing process, not just some generic omg-its-coming-out-the-screen scene.

It's funny that you notice that. I never noticed the 3D to any serviceable effect, which is sad, because by God I paid an extra $10 for those stinking glasses!

I'm a little sad the financial returns on foreign markets won't make as much of its way to domestic markets, but hey - at least GDT tried! Goddamn North AMerican audiences. gently caress Grown Ups 2.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Devour posted:

The sequel will be called: Pacific Ring of Fire. :smugbert:

Pacific Rim: Hug it out (in the spirit of the terrible thread discussions)

Of my three kids, my 8 year old daughter is the one who loved it the most (the other two are boys). She now has a Gipsy Danger poster (she flipped out when she saw it) and on Saturday is getting the 7" action figure for her birthday. :ssh: I fully expect the other girls at her party to go :wtf:.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 7, 2013

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

OldPueblo posted:

Pacific Rim: Hug it out (in the spirit of the terrible thread discussions)

Of my three kids, my 8 year old daughter is the one who loved it the most (the other two are boys). She now has a Gipsy Danger poster (she flipped out when she saw it) and on Saturday is getting the 7" action figure for her birthday. :ssh: I fully expect the other girls at her party to go :wtf:.

That's awesome! I'm hoping to do something similar with my younger son when his birthday rolls around, I just hope Thinkgeek gets figures back in stock in the next few weeks.

I've given up trying to find them in stores.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Both Tacit and Striker had stingblades that were covered in carbon nanotubes that allowed heat to travel through the blades. This allowed them to keep the blood from spilling out as they stabbed. :science:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Steve Yun posted:

GDT ended up supervising the 3D post-conversion personally. Since most of the film is CG, the 3D effect was actually very good, one of the best 3D films I've seen in fact.
To add to that, the studio wanted 16 weeks of 3D conversion. GDT put in 40 weeks.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Dr Tran posted:

To add to that, the studio wanted 16 weeks of 3D conversion. GDT put in 40 weeks.

Also they got the CG-sequence assets from ILM for 3D.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Here's a pretty slick custom Crimson Typhoon figure, with an LED light in the head, buzzsaw hands, and other improvements. :hellyeah:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I might get some flack for this in the Cherno Alpha circlejerk thread but I think Typhoon had the coolest looking head.

Cherno was still the coolest robot though

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Febreeze posted:

I might get some flack for this in the Cherno Alpha circlejerk thread but I think Typhoon had the coolest looking head.

Nah, man, but imagine Crimson Typhon with Cherno Alpha's head. :aaaaa:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Here's a pretty awesome Guillermo del Toro interview, wherein he is asked about the morality of his films and fascism among other things. I might've missed if it was already posted.

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tt/tt130802guillermo_del_toro_p

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

Nah, man, but imagine Crimson Typhon with Cherno Alpha's head. :aaaaa:

Now made possible by Pacific Rim on Xbox Live Arcade.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Bongo Bill posted:

The ideological assertion - the ethical ideal - I perceived is that the aliens were literally single-mindedly determined to commit genocide, and should be stopped. Not destroyed, stopped. They weren't trying to kill all humans because they were abject; they are abject because they have committed to the decision to kill all humans.

At least correctly identify the contrivance. They clearly think and feel - how could Newt have drifted with them if not? - but those thoughts and feelings were contrived to brook no possibility for surrender by either side.

Yes, they are the dark mirror of the humans - both are united under and dedicated to a single purpose, creating ever-improving two-brained colossal war machines, sending them on suicide missions to another dimension, merging minds to gain intel, and so forth. But there is one very important difference between them, and it's not racial.

The abjection in this film is based on repeated, unrepentant attempts at the worst known crime. I don't agree with SMG that this is a problematic moral stance for a work of fiction.

They are not abject because they choose to kill humans, but because they represent an immanent excess of neoliberal capitalism (that 'killing all humans' and global catastrophe such as climate change are inherent elements) that must be disavowed in order to maintain the symbolic order. They are the discarded refuse:

"A wound with blood and pus, or the sickly, acrid smell of sweat, of decay, does not signify death. In the presence of signified death - a flat encephalograph, for instance - I would understand, react, or accept. No, as in true theater, without makeup or masks,refuse and corpses show me what I permanently thrust aside in order to live. These body fluids, this defilement, this poo poo are what life withstands, hardly and with difficulty, on the part of death. There, I am at the border of my condition as a living being. My body extricates itself, as being alive, from that border. Such wastes drop so that I might live, until, from loss to loss, nothing remains in me and my entire body falls beyond the limit -- cadere, cadaver. If dung signifies the other side of the border, the place where I am not and which permits me to be, the corpse, the most sickening of wastes, is a border that has encroached upon everything. It is no longer I who expel. "I" is expelled. The border has become an object. How can I be without border? That elsewhere that I imagine beyond the present, or that I hallucinate so that I might, in a present time, speak to you, conceive of you - it is now here, jetted, abjected, into "my" world. Deprived of world, therefore, I fall in a faint . In that compelling, raw, insolent thing in the morgue's full sunlight, in that thing that no longer matches and therefore no longer signifies anything, I behold the breaking down of a world that has erased its borders: fainting away. The corpse, seen without God and outside of science, is the utmost of abjection. It is death infecting life. Abject. It is something rejected from which one does not part, from which one does not protect oneself as from an object. Imaginary uncanniness and real threat, it beckons to us and ends up engulfing us"
-Kristeva, Powers of Horror.

What are the Jaegers then, if not, the necessary act of confronting and purifying the abject, reasserting a boundary made vague by the kaiju ("To fight monsters, we created monsters"):

"On close inspection, all literature is probably a version of the apocalypse that seems to me rooted, no matter what its sociohistorical conditions might be, on the fragile border (borderline cases) where identities (subject/object, etc.) do not exist or only barely so—double, fuzzy, heterogeneous, animal, metamorphosed, altered, abject."
-Kristeva, Powers of Horror

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Look what I found!

Give 'em a few more months, and the AFOLs will have some pretty bitchin' MOCs for us to gawk at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Febreeze posted:

Crimson Typhoon's head looked like something straight out of Armored Core. Back in AC2 I had a head just like it, I think it was the SCOPE-EYE part.

Needless to say I thought it was the coolest. That third arm killed it for me, though, and Cherno's too :ussr: for me not to like the most.

• Locked thread