Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In the SALR preferences, go to Forums, Icons and make sure the checkboxes aren't selected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Is there a way to make SALR work with FF sync or something similar, maybe dropbox, so I have my colors and notes synced?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
1) The 'old' Bounty Source website has a certificate error (unknown issuer). It's supposed to be Go Daddy but Firefox doesn't know this CA, which I find odd.
2) The 'new' Bounty Source website doesn't find the SA Last Read project.

What's up with that?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is it possible to add a way to resize the default thumbnail size? I love the image scaling feature for standard [img] tagged images. The default [timg] is too damned small and I hate expanding them one after the other in posts with lots of images.

Once upon a time there was a greasemonkey script, but it hasn't worked in a very long time.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:Update! v1.99.130802:siren:

Notes:
  • Fixed a small CSS issue in two-posticon forums like ask/tell and SA-Mart
  • Quick Preview: HTML Entities now work correctly
  • Hopefully fixed an old context menu bug where the labels wouldn't update properly
  • Fixed search thread box so it doesn't search the thread title (would return every post in the thread)
  • Moved searchbar/who-posted to the right of the bookmark star
  • Restored you-are-quoted highlighting
  • Theoretically restored Advanced thread filtering functionality

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
The color highlighting doesn't work for me (using the last posted xpi file), even though it's turned on in the options :(

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rirse posted:

I have that setting on, but this is how it looks compared to the Chrome version.

Something like this could probably be added.

Furism posted:

1) The 'old' Bounty Source website has a certificate error (unknown issuer). It's supposed to be Go Daddy but Firefox doesn't know this CA, which I find odd.
2) The 'new' Bounty Source website doesn't find the SA Last Read project.

What's up with that?

SALR is hosted at Assembla now.

Sereri posted:

Is there a way to make SALR work with FF sync or something similar, maybe dropbox, so I have my colors and notes synced?

Probably! I've never used Firefox Sync myself, though, so it'd take some reading.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Is it possible to add a way to resize the default thumbnail size? I love the image scaling feature for standard [img] tagged images. The default [timg] is too damned small and I hate expanding them one after the other in posts with lots of images.

Once upon a time there was a greasemonkey script, but it hasn't worked in a very long time.

Have a link to it?

Furism posted:

The color highlighting doesn't work for me (using the last posted xpi file), even though it's turned on in the options :(

Which color highlighting in which view?

e: I found a problem with the highlighting for "custom highlighted user is quoted" not showing up properly (now fixed in v1.99.130806), was that the one?

astral fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 7, 2013

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

astral posted:

Which color highlighting in which view?

e: I found a problem with the highlighting for "custom highlighted user is quoted" not showing up properly (now fixed in v1.99.130806), was that the one?

One of my message was quoted and I couldn't see the highlighting, but after double checking the guy who quoted me modified the BBCode and so SALR couldn't parse it right, I think. It works on other threads; sorry, I should have double checked (well at least you found a bug thanks to that!).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

astral posted:

Have a link to it?

Here you go:

For Greasemonkey: SA Thumbnail Fix

For it to work you needed to block "http://forums.somethingawful.com/js/vb/postimages.js" but with the updated forums, that script doesn't exist anymore.

Tabachinova
May 6, 2007

You say...

You say you'd still rather wear the outfit.
When you click on the "go last read post button" it goes to a blank page. If you disable SALR It works correctly.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:Update! v1.99.130821:siren:

Note:
  • Added a convenient thread-bookmark star to the thread page navigator

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Sorry I'm too stupid to figure this out, but is it possible to have SALR configured to change the color and bold your username if it's mentioned in a post? Like if someone says nerve it shows up in their post as bold and blue or something.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Switching over from Chrome to Firefox and have a quick question that's bugging me. When viewing bookmarked threads is there a way to display the new reply count beside the 'Go to Last Post' icon instead of within the reply column?

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
Some threads in the comedy goldmine seem to be having issues with the in-thread search box. The search box gets pushed to the very bottom of the page, along with a bullet point that says "Who posted". Example threads are here and here, at least for me. Probably not a really high-priority thing to fix, and it doesn't seem to affect all the threads in the goldmine, just ones before May 2012 (just from some quick checking), just thought I'd report it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Minor bug report!!

The Live Preview thing freaks out if I use a youtube URL starting with https inside a video tag.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

astral posted:

:siren:Update! v1.99.130802:siren:

Notes:
  • Restored you-are-quoted highlighting

I super love this extension, so I feel bad being a bother, but this still isn't working for me on, uh, any quotes. It is my favorite feature, because I feel rude when I miss posts aimed at me. I'm on the latest Firefox build as of right now, and I've stayed up to date with SALR, too. It is activated and purple in the options, as default.

If there's any information I can offer to help at all, I'll do my best.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gtab posted:

I super love this extension, so I feel bad being a bother, but this still isn't working for me on, uh, any quotes. It is my favorite feature, because I feel rude when I miss posts aimed at me. I'm on the latest Firefox build as of right now, and I've stayed up to date with SALR, too. It is activated and purple in the options, as default.

If there's any information I can offer to help at all, I'll do my best.

Does extensions.salastread.username in about :config have your correct username?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

astral posted:

Does extensions.salastread.username in about :config have your correct username?

I love you very much right now.

Point me at the tip jar.

edit: For reference, it said "Not Cookied" which is strange as I most certainly should be as I don't think I've logged in and out of SA in like ten years :v:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Is there anyway to limit the size of images in sigs or possibly convert them to links? Or can this be added? And I know you can turn them off or adblock them but I'd rather not do that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Assembla (code hosting place where SALR lives) is removing Trac at the end of the month, so I've updated the URLs SALR uses to update to directly reference the SVN. This should have next to no impact on you guys, but if for some reason you can't or don't update your SALR to at least 1.99.140101 before the end of the month, you will at that point have to manually update.

I'll change the extension's "home page" link later.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I've been working on setting up SALR to use Firefox's stylesheet service to add some of our custom CSS instead of injecting it as each page loads. Among other things, this will make the page loads a lot smoother - for example, having the option enabled to shrink large custom title texts won't mess with page loading/scrolling so much. It'll also make it possible to add the often-requested feature to hide all avatars/title texts, which wasn't feasible in the current system since you'd still see the avatars/titles/etc during part of the page load. With some luck, this will be done soon. :)

Just a small update today: the Quick Post buttons in YOSPOS should line up correctly now.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
Advanced thread filtering problem

Win XP SP 3

Fresh install of:
Firefox 26.0
salastread 1.99.140105

When I try to Control-Click in order to filter threads in the gaming sub-forum, it doesn't add the icon to the filtered section. Instead I get a new tab with threads that I controlled clicked on.

I have Firexox 3.6.28 installed because Forecastbar Enhanced hasn't worked since FF 4. Advanced thread filtering works perfectly with 3.6.28.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
This is a forums bug, but it can be easily fixed with SALR probably.

When someone posts an image from imgur, if the image url ends with certain letters (I believe s, l, and m at least, there might be others), the forums remove the last letter, breaking the image url. It creates a timg (which points to the correct url) and the timg is also a link to the image (with a now incorrect url). When SALR automatically expands timg'd images, it points to the broken url instead of the correct timg url.

An example is here.

Is it possible to make it so SALR notices the discrepancy between the timg and the url, and display the correct, non-broken image?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Aratoeldar posted:

Advanced thread filtering problem

Win XP SP 3

Fresh install of:
Firefox 26.0
salastread 1.99.140105

When I try to Control-Click in order to filter threads in the gaming sub-forum, it doesn't add the icon to the filtered section. Instead I get a new tab with threads that I controlled clicked on.

I have Firexox 3.6.28 installed because Forecastbar Enhanced hasn't worked since FF 4. Advanced thread filtering works perfectly with 3.6.28.

Have you by chance not enabled Advanced Thread Filtering in your fresh install (it's disabled by default)? If that wasn't the problem, does the box with all the thread tags in it in the games forum say "Filter Posts" or "Advanced Thread Filtering"?

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

When someone posts an image from imgur, if the image url ends with certain letters (I believe s, l, and m at least, there might be others), the forums remove the last letter, breaking the image url. It creates a timg (which points to the correct url) and the timg is also a link to the image (with a now incorrect url). When SALR automatically expands timg'd images, it points to the broken url instead of the correct timg url.

An example is here.

Is it possible to make it so SALR notices the discrepancy between the timg and the url, and display the correct, non-broken image?

Ah, I don't usually browse with the link-to-image conversion on, so it took a bit for me to see just what was going on here. The regular image on that page is properly sourced but has a badly-formed link to itself in it (it really shouldn't have this link at all, but people do weird things). With SALR's link-to-image conversion on, the badly-formed link to itself eats the image. Looks like when an image itself is a link SALR handles the conversion somewhat less than gracefully. For a temporary workaround, you could disable the conversion for now - the image itself displays just fine without it. I've added it to the list of stuff to fix after the stylesheet service stuff is done.

astral fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 7, 2014

astral
Apr 26, 2004

How annoying would a little Firefox desktop notification like this be when SALR updates?

It would show up one time per SALR update and appear for a few seconds in the corner of your screen, then disappear. Clicking it would open a new tab with information about what's new.

I should note that I absolutely loathe when extensions open new tabs without asking me every time they update, but I'd be pretty okay with an unobtrusive notification like this.

It wouldn't be hard to limit this to only show up for major new features or horrible bug fixes, too.

astral fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 9, 2014

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Don't dismiss the notification automatically and add a link for "never show this again" maybe?

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.

astral posted:

How annoying would a little Firefox desktop notification like this be when SALR updates?

It would show up one time per SALR update and appear for a few seconds in the corner of your screen, then disappear. Clicking it would open a new tab with information about what's new.

I should note that I absolutely loathe when extensions open new tabs without asking me every time they update, but I'd be pretty okay with an unobtrusive notification like this.

It wouldn't be hard to limit this to only show up for major new features or horrible bug fixes, too.

Given how little Firefox addons are updated, changelogs are welcome. Otherwise it's silent in the background and we'll never know.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sereri posted:

Don't dismiss the notification automatically and add a link for "never show this again" maybe?

Right now, that example is using Firefox's nsIAlertsService, which has a hardcoded timeout and very few options outside of what's visible in that image and being able to specify what I can do after the user clicks the text. It's got the advantage of being simple, well-supported across platforms and Firefox versions (read: unlikely to break horribly), and extremely unobtrusive - the documentation even notes that if a user is in a fullscreen application, the alert might not be displayed at all. Additionally, since SALR isn't a restartless addon, this notification would only show up shortly after launching the browser after an SALR update.

An option to never see the notifications would definitely be on the table, but it would probably have to go in the General preference pane or something.

M3wThr33 posted:

Given how little Firefox addons are updated, changelogs are welcome. Otherwise it's silent in the background and we'll never know.

This is pretty much exactly my motivation for wanting to add something like this. I've wanted to bring back the changelog in a usable form for a while, but didn't like the practice a lot of extension authors had of popping up new tabs all the time. This type of notification seemed like the perfect solution.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I definitely dig the idea of seeing a notification that the extension has been updated, and since SALR is pretty much the only Firefox extension I use and one of the only reasons I'm still using Firefox period, I'd happily view the changelog every time to see what's been updated.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Oh so THAT'S what's been causing it! I've been banging my head for ages thinking it was some issue with No Script, Ad Block or one of my extensions or Greasemonkey/Stylish scripts :doh:

I knew if you quoted the post you could see the image again, but never made the connection that it was the forums themselves messing up the unaltered link.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

An example is here.

The problem is, it used to be that imgur images had a 5 letter name. To get the thumbnails you'd add a letter like XXXXXl.jpg. l for large, s for small and so on. Letters used for thumbnails were not part of the image name.

A while ago, for whatever ungodly reason, imgur decided to change that and image names now can end with those letters. However you still have to add those letters to get the thumbnails. This is why with certain images (which names end in s,m,l,h...) the forums are too smart for their own good and display the full image as a thumbnail.

The problem is that without looking up the image you cannot tell whether or not the image is the full image or a thumbnail.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

astral posted:

Have you by chance not enabled Advanced Thread Filtering in your fresh install (it's disabled by default)? If that wasn't the problem, does the box with all the thread tags in it in the games forum say "Filter Posts" or "Advanced Thread Filtering"?

Thank you :doh:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Sereri posted:

The problem is, it used to be that imgur images had a 5 letter name. To get the thumbnails you'd add a letter like XXXXXl.jpg. l for large, s for small and so on. Letters used for thumbnails were not part of the image name.

A while ago, for whatever ungodly reason, imgur decided to change that and image names now can end with those letters. However you still have to add those letters to get the thumbnails. This is why with certain images (which names end in s,m,l,h...) the forums are too smart for their own good and display the full image as a thumbnail.

The problem is that without looking up the image you cannot tell whether or not the image is the full image or a thumbnail.
Not necessarily though? The problem is that you post an image and the [img] one gets let's say xxxxxs and now the url one is xxxxx. The difference is that the url is one letter shorter, so the xxxxx bit will still match. So you could do a check to see if the parent link matches the substr of the image link minus that last letter. If they match, then you know that the link is going to be broken and you need to fix it. Yeah, I guess you run the risk of messing up some links that are to the original with the image just having the l to enlarge it or whatever, but I'm guessing that's probably a risk worth having as the link will still work, but more importantly, the non-working links should work of course. And I guess if you link an imgur picture onto text, yeah the imgur link is still going to be broken, in which case you do have to check the imgur page itself, but some imgur links being fixed is better than no imgur links being fixed.

Unless I'm missing something obvious with this idea?

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 10, 2014

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Master_Odin posted:

Not necessarily though? The problem is that you post an image and the [img] one gets let's say xxxxxs and now the url one is xxxxx. The difference is that the url is one letter shorter, so the xxxxx bit will still match. So you could do a check to see if the parent link matches the substr of the image link minus that last letter. If they match, then you know that the link is going to be broken and you need to fix it. Yeah, I guess you run the risk of messing up some links that are to the original with the image just having the l to enlarge it or whatever, but I'm guessing that's probably a risk worth having as the link will still work, but more importantly, the non-working links should work of course. And I guess if you link an imgur picture onto text, yeah the imgur link is still going to be broken, in which case you do have to check the imgur page itself, but some imgur links being fixed is better than no imgur links being fixed.

Unless I'm missing something obvious with this idea?

As you went on to state, the bolded part isn't really true. This is the way you'd expect to see the image/link combo, and it would trigger a false positive with your proposed check:

code:
[url=http://i.imgur.com/qWTJrCs.jpg][img]http://i.imgur.com/qWTJrCss.jpg[/img][/url]

And since the above worked just fine, I'm still not entirely sure I understand where the forums are supposed to be breaking things.

astral fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 10, 2014

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

astral posted:

Bolded part isn't really true. This is the way you'd expect to see the image/link combo, and it would trigger a false positive with your proposed check:

code:
[url=http://i.imgur.com/qWTJrCs.jpg][timg]http://i.imgur.com/qWTJrCss.jpg[/timg][/url]

I'm still not entirely sure I understand where the forums are supposed to be breaking things.
You're right, that's what I get for not testing fully (and not quite understanding 100% of the cases we can encounter). Amending an additional check on the last letter of the link not being a s,m,l as well fixes that case.

e: Though, for whatever reason, that above image does work just fine, but the linked post the link is broken because the forums remove the letter for whatever reason in the link (so it doesn't have that final s). So something is being broken by the forums in regards to those links, just not I guess in 100% of the cases?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Master_Odin posted:

You're right, that's what I get for not testing fully (and not quite understanding 100% of the cases we can encounter). Amending an additional check on the last letter of the link not being a s,m,l as well fixes that case.

Not quite. :(

code:
[url=http://i.imgur.com/x4zx0oH.png][img]http://i.imgur.com/x4zx0oHm.png[/img][/url]

e:

quote:

e: Though, for whatever reason, that above image does work just fine, but the linked post the link is broken because the forums remove the letter for whatever reason in the link (so it doesn't have that final s). So something is being broken by the forums in regards to those links, just not I guess in 100% of the cases?

Honestly, unless I see it happening in a lot of other threads, I'd chalk it up to user error on the part of the poster. Regardless of the cause, though, there ought to be some simple way for SALR to handle the error in link-to-image conversion, since eating a valid image in favor of an invalid link isn't very good.

astral fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 10, 2014

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

astral posted:

Not quite. :(

code:
[url=http://i.imgur.com/x4zx0oH.png][timg]http://i.imgur.com/x4zx0oHm.png[/timg][/url]

e:

Honestly, unless I see it happening in a lot of other threads, I'd chalk it up to user error on the part of the poster. Regardless of the cause, though, I'd still like to figure out some way for SALR to handle the error in link-to-image conversion, since eating a valid image in favor of an invalid link isn't very good.
Alright, I guess if we meet the first two conditions, we can then check imgur to see if the image actually exists. This does at least limit the number of checks to a very minimal amount on false positives, but at this point, I really have no idea how to do this any better and please stop finding holes in my ideas. :v:

Luckily jQuery allows this pretty easy, but I dunno the backend for Firefox who knows how easy this is for you to implement.
o_link is the original url link in full, c_link is just the 5/6 character code of it, image is just the 5/6 character code on the image.) This works on both of your new tests, as well as the original post in question so that's good at least.
code:
                if (image.substr(0,(image.length-1)) == c_link && jQuery.inArray(c_link.substr(c_link.length-1,c_link.length),['s','m','l']) == -1) {
                    var i = new Image();
                    i.src = o_link;
                    var im = this;
                    jQuery(i).error(function() {
                        jQuery(im).parent().attr('href',o_link.replace(c_link,image));
                    });
                }

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Master_Odin posted:

Alright, I guess if we meet the first two conditions, we can then check imgur to see if the image actually exists. This does at least limit the number of checks to a very minimal amount on false positives, but at this point, I really have no idea how to do this any better and please stop finding holes in my ideas. :v:

Luckily jQuery allows this pretty easy, but I dunno the backend for Firefox who knows how easy this is for you to implement.
o_link is the original url link in full, c_link is just the 5/6 character code of it, image is just the 5/6 character code on the image.) This works on both of your new tests, as well as the original post in question so that's good at least.
code:
                if (image.substr(0,(image.length-1)) == c_link && jQuery.inArray(c_link.substr(c_link.length-1,c_link.length),['s','m','l']) == -1) {
                    var i = new Image();
                    i.src = o_link;
                    var im = this;
                    jQuery(i).error(function() {
                        jQuery(im).parent().attr('href',o_link.replace(c_link,image));
                    });
                }

Thanks for the idea! I ended up doing something similar, though I opted to add the error handler to all images SALR would try to replace with the parent image link, not just potentially-off imgur ones. :)

astral fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 10, 2014

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren: v1.99.140109:siren:

Notes:
  • Added notification when SALR has updated with a link to the about/changelog pane.
  • Improved the way SALR applies most of its CSS, which enabled new features like:
    • Reduced visual 'pop'/scrolling when loading forum pages.
    • Added 'hide all custom titles' option (Users preference pane).
  • Fixed some other miscellaneous SALR CSS bugs.
  • Fixed SALR replacing images with invalid image links.
  • Stopped SALR logo from being scaled weirdly in the about pane.

astral fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
salastread v1.99.140109 problem

with Firefox 3.6.28 I get the following error pop up when firefox is loading:

code:
JavaScript Application

SALastRead int error: TypeError

Components.classes['@evercrest.com/salastread/persist-object;1'] is undefined
The SALR menu button doesn't show up in the Menu bar. Version 1.99.140105 worked fine.

• Locked thread