Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

bringmyfishback posted:

There are 35 people in the US with my first and last name. How unfun! Then again, I have a very common last name and a pretty boring first name.

According to that site, however, there is only one Jerry Seinfeld.

His legal name is Jerome :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

My last boss was called Dick de Cock. I suspect his parents didn't speak English.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I was on Live Chat with an Amazon Customer Service representative and noticed a very unfortunate name, regardless of which spelling is correct.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
When Jocelyn somehow isn't unique enough, I guess.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm often on live chat with all kinds of support companies for work and it's amazing how often you see the Username/Name combo spelled differently. No clue why it's so common, but if I'm bored I'll point it out to the person and they usually have no idea what I'm talking about. Beep boop follow the script.

Not Jon Stewart
May 30, 2013
I went to elementary school with a kid whose parents chose to hyphenate their name: Tondorf-Dick. No one could help themselves from reading it as Torndof-Dick. A painful burden, indeed.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_S8qRUsm7E
I'm Cosmo Kramer, the ASSMAN!

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

Dr. Comfort and his arch nemesis Dr. Harms. There's also a Dr. Cheesebro. Sounds like a cool dude.

For first names: Nathanyal, Clitheroe, and Arubia (he went by "Lee" instead).

Accideath
Dec 26, 2011
Two weeks ago, I was attending a funeral for a friend's grandmother. Everything went as normal up until the point I made the mistake of looking around the spot where the ashes were going to be interred.

My eye fell upon a placard indicating, in the typical block capitals, the final resting place of BUD WIENERS and GLAD WIENERS.

My inner five-year-old was far, far too amused by this. I had to bite my lip pretty drat hard to keep from snickering like an idiot.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Just heard from my sister that a neighbor of ours had her baby. In true, brilliant 17-year-old fashion, she named her Novella.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Got an Agapi G Schmarge at work today, and a Drucilla.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007
Just found out today that I work with a lady named Scheherazade. She goes by Shay so I had no idea. This is actually awesome, not terrible.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Dr. Gay Hitler, son of George Washington Hitler, was a local dentist, serving our community from 1922 through 1946 from his office on West Main Street.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Silly Hippie posted:

Just found out today that I work with a lady named Scheherazade. She goes by Shay so I had no idea. This is actually awesome, not terrible.

She must have a lot of stories to tell.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

I Before E posted:

She must have a lot of stories to tell.

She's a librarian :haw:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Today I read a news article about a 10-year-old girl who was killed by a drunk driver. Her name was Jazimen.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
This is pretty relevant: http://www.gq.com/entertainment/humor/201307/nine-baby-naming-rules-2013

quote:

No one's gonna be dazzled that you took Christopher and turned it into Krystougher.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I saw a woman at work today with a newborn daughter in a pram and a new tattoo on her arm of the name "Kaydenze".

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I remember one New Year's Eve where I was threatened by a very drunk man with a baseball bat who thought it was about 6 hours later than it actually was. We called the cops on him, and they confirmed to us that his name was Joe Putupfence.

Also from one idiotic section of my family I have a cousin named Jessecca, because my aunt couldn't be bothered to find out how the name was actually spelled.

Danyull has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Aug 10, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I got a new student this month. Her name is written "Dishana," with a dash over the second a. What gets me is how she pronounces it. "Dash-uh-nay." Where did her parents get the idea an I made that sound?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Lotish posted:

I got a new student this month. Her name is written "Dishana," with a dash over the second a. What gets me is how she pronounces it. "Dashunay." Where did her parents get the idea an I made that sound?

That makes her name sound an awful lot like the French for "lunch".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I worked with a lady at a retail job named Danae. Her name was pronounced "day nuh", like you'd expect Dana to be pronounced.
Because she wore a nametag, people would read her name and pronounce it like "duh nay" and she'd get really bothered. She's an adult woman with teenage children, you think that she'd be used to people not pronouncing her name correctly on the first try.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007
Along those lines, I know a girl with a name that ends in "reel" (I won't post the full thing because as far as I know her parents made it up, but imagine like "Careel", or something). She gets super offended if you pronounce it... well, the way it should be pronounced. It's "relle", instead. Sorry but that's not the way vowels work.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Relatedly, I know a "Shirley" who insists on her name being pronounced "Sheerley" and if you don't she'll yell at you.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
It's not a stupid name, but I had a roommate named Kara. She was from Rhode Island, and due to her accent, the way she pronounced it was "Chaah-rha". She didn't mind if you said simply "Car-ah", but due to her accent and the way her friend said her name, I felt like I was never quite getting it right. Same with a classmate named Helena who was Hispanic. Couldn't quite get the guttural Spanish "H" right to say her name correctly, but again, she didn't care if you said it "Hell-enna" or even "Elena".

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Dated an Onnika once. Pronounced like Hanukkah, but without the h. In retrospect it was kind of creepy because she was my dad's girlfriend's granddaughter. :stare: Not as bad as the time when I was twelve and in an abusive relationship with an older girl named Meridian. Like, the imaginary geographical feature. :stare:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I saw a license plate yesterday that said "Carizma."

There were rhinestones all around it.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
If we're talking license plates, nothing will ever beat KKKATIE. I know that it's a reference to an old song, and I bet the driver's name was actually Katie, but something else jumps to mind immediately, and she lived in LA, for God's sakes.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

We had a neighbor named Gloria, and her license plate was G1ORIA. Which I couldn't help but read as Guh-one-o-ria.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Leelee posted:

It's not a stupid name, but I had a roommate named Kara. She was from Rhode Island, and due to her accent, the way she pronounced it was "Chaah-rha". She didn't mind if you said simply "Car-ah", but due to her accent and the way her friend said her name, I felt like I was never quite getting it right. Same with a classmate named Helena who was Hispanic. Couldn't quite get the guttural Spanish "H" right to say her name correctly, but again, she didn't care if you said it "Hell-enna" or even "Elena".

The Spanish h is silent, so I'm really not sure what the issue here was. It's either a pronounced h or completely silent. The e is pronounced differently, though, which would be where you'd hear the real difference.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ibntumart posted:

The Spanish h is silent, so I'm really not sure what the issue here was. It's either a pronounced h or completely silent. The e is pronounced differently, though, which would be where you'd hear the real difference.

I think Leelee was saying she just had trouble pronouncing the name "correctly" based on how the name-haver herself pronounced it. Like, I had a friend in college named Terese and it was pronounced Tehr-eh-se (she was Lithuanian), but no one could say it quite the way Terese herself did.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Lotish posted:

I got a new student this month. Her name is written "Dishana," with a dash over the second a. What gets me is how she pronounces it. "Dash-uh-nay." Where did her parents get the idea an I made that sound?

It's possible her parents were subliterate--for a while, my mom tutored adult literacy students, and this one lady had a daughter named Mouneah pronounced "mo-nay". :smith:

Vonder
May 8, 2007

They've got a spider baby!
I had a temp job this week with a guy whose parents hated all their children. He was the oldest and was named Harley R Scooter. His last name isn't Scooter, that's part of his middle name. The letter R doesn't stand for anything, it's just a letter.

His little brother is named Hammer Ivan Ironface. Named after Ivan the Terrible and an offhand comment his grandad made about not being able to get the kid to smile.

His little sister is named Jet Angel because she was born at 747.

The youngest brother is Kurt Randolph Jr. and is named after a Nazi. Seriously.

His grandfather was a pilot in WWII and crashed in enemy territory. He was put in a concentration camp and the only reason he survived was that an officer gave him extra rations. When the US Army showed up they killed all the Nazi officers they could find and he never got to thank the guy so he named his son after him. It's actually a cool story, but it doesn't change the fact that you're named after a Nazi, dude.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Leelee posted:

"Elena" is the preferred spelling in Spanish. Regardless of how you spell it, it's pronounced "Eh-LEH-nah". The guttural H sound in Spanish is represented with the letter J (as well as G when it's in front E and I).

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Spermando posted:

"Elena" is the preferred spelling in Spanish. Regardless of how you spell it, it's pronounced "Eh-LEH-nah". The guttural H sound in Spanish is represented with the letter J (as well as G when it's in front E and I).

She said it was pronounced that way then with the "J" sound in the front. I know it was spelled "Helena". Or I'm misremembering and she didn't care if you said the "H" in her name and the "J" sound was in her last name. It's been some time.

Anyway, anyone else here in the hyphenated last name club? I joined it when I got married and didn't realize what a pain in the rear end it is.

Cmdr Tomalak
Aug 13, 2007

How long shall we stare at each other across the Neutral Zone?
There's a guy that goes to my church named Hyman Waxman.

Ouch.

VengefulKiwi
Sep 13, 2006

Irony is my brain's favourite food.
An ex coworker of mine once told me that she already had names picked out for her future, not yet conceived, child.
"If it's a girl, Scarlet and if it's a boy, Dracula."
I laughed, assuming she was joking, but she continued that 'he probably wouldn't like his name when he was little, but once he got to high school he'd realize how cool it was.' She would not hear how backwards, and also wrong, she was. She was never the sharpest knife in the drawer but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Leelee posted:

Anyway, anyone else here in the hyphenated last name club? I joined it when I got married and didn't realize what a pain in the rear end it is.

Try being in the not-changing-your-name club. Some people act like I've murdered a puppy when I explain that my last name is MY NAME and not my husband's. The reason being that he has a hyphenated last name and I have two middle names, so being "Bringmyfishback Spanky Sue Hurgleburgle-Vomit-Johnson" would be kind of loving stupid. (Please note that this is not my real name.)