Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Zonekeeper posted:

Both, if the box mockup they displayed at comic-con is to be believed.

E: Here, have a pic:

Basically, they're giving us the things we begged for 3 years ago.

Goddamn I wish I had a kid so I could justify buying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

...Goddamnit, and my buddy was awesome and got me an original Dragon Dagger toy for my birthday this year. Not mint, but pretty good quality, sound effects still work, still has all the stickers... But now there's a die-cast one with a modern sound chip?

Not yet, probably next year since they don't have prototypes on display yet. If it's based off the official prop replica released in Japan a while back, it'll be full size, too. Other highlights are a full sized Red Ranger helmet with all 20 years of PR DVDs in it, a 2ft tall Megazord remake (Doesn't separate into individual Zords, but can morph to Tank mode), and S.H. Figuarts of all 6 original rangers. Also there are rumors that they'll make a general-release non-24K version of the Green Ranger Legacy Morpher with the Green/White ranger coins. Basically, Saban's gonna treat us right and empty our wallets real good.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I still have my original Megazord from when I was young but missing parts to my Dragonzord but drat these are expensive. I don't really know about toys enough to know if its justified or not.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Zonekeeper posted:

Also there are rumors that they'll make a general-release non-24K version of the Green Ranger Legacy Morpher with the Green/White ranger coins.

It's basically a given. Big companies don't produce molds for things with the intent to only use them for an exclusive limited run. What you'll likely see is an announcement at least a few months from now when they'll announce the gold chrome or matte gold version to come out alongside the Dragonzord and Dagger so the SDCC version owners don't feel so jilted. Not that they would, I think. I'm hoping my guy delivers and gets his hands on an SDCC morpher for me, but I'll live if he doesn't. With the announcement of the dagger, I'm planning to take the morpher and dagger and turn it into a kickass display piece.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
Plus they updated the electronics (one button press plays the sound effects and starts the song Press again to stop). I doubt they'd bother to update them if it was only going into a limited run of 1000. Plus they'll probably weather the coins to match the standard Legacy Morpher as well, while the SDCC ones are fully shiny.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RBX posted:

I still have my original Megazord from when I was young but missing parts to my Dragonzord but drat these are expensive. I don't really know about toys enough to know if its justified or not.
They're all so cheap! So expensively cheap!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OZC posted:

Plus they updated the electronics (one button press plays the sound effects and starts the song Press again to stop). I doubt they'd bother to update them if it was only going into a limited run of 1000. Plus they'll probably weather the coins to match the standard Legacy Morpher as well, while the SDCC ones are fully shiny.

I'm glad the Green/White coins are (probably) coming to regular retail. I really really really didn't want to have to rely on one of the 3D printed ones.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

OZC posted:

I have no opinion on weathered or shiny coins, it's all good to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Random observation: I'm starting to think the whole "we have no plans to bring back past actors to reprise their roles in Super Megaforce" thing was either A) Marketing-Speak for "nothing's confirmed so we have no comment" or B) A deliberate misdirection (side effect: capitalize on fan goodwill and say "hey look! We got a dozen past rangers back!! We listened to fan demand!)

The reason I think this is that what it looks like we're getting is way too...big to have been slapped together at the last minute as a response to fan demand. Bringing Jason David Frank and maybe a couple actors from Samurai for a cameo? That's reasonable, something they could pull off as a goodwill gesture to long-time Power Rangers fans. JDF loves the role and would probably do it for nothing more than the cost of airfare to New Zealand, and the Samurai actors are probably still under contract so they can get them back for a teamup feature.

But all of a sudden, ostensibly as a result of nothing more than fan demand, they got 10 or 12 actors together for what looked like a pretty big shoot, not to mention all the suit actors and what not. Filming American (New Zealand, whatever) footage for the Great Legend War seems really above and beyond what would be reasonably possible as a last-minute fan-pleasing gesture.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They could do this every year if they wanted they're just loving cheap as poo poo. The amount of Sentai footage they used for this year and last year makes it seem like they didn't have to reshoot much. They don't even do any movies every year.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
loving Bandai. Near impossible to get that drat Morpher at Comic-Con.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

loving Bandai. Near impossible to get that drat Morpher at Comic-Con.

Don't sweat it. There's no chance in hell they went through the trouble of improving the Morpher's electronics and making brand new coin molds solely for a con-exclusive collector's item. We're pretty much guaranteed to get a wide release retail version.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Zonekeeper posted:

Don't sweat it. There's no chance in hell they went through the trouble of improving the Morpher's electronics and making brand new coin molds solely for a con-exclusive collector's item. We're pretty much guaranteed to get a wide release retail version.

What bugs me is all the time I wasted trying to get it. Could have seen the Gravity Falls or Futurama panels.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Zonekeeper posted:

Yeah, especially with next year seeming to be the Tommy celebration. I mean, they are doing the Dragon Dagger and Dragonzord... the Morpher is a set all about him, so it's all but assured they'll add that to the Tommy-fest. Still, that sucks missing stuff to wait in line and come up empty handed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man...I'm gonna be spending way too much money on MMPR merch. I'm getting the Legacy Megazord and DragonZord for sure, the Morpher if its not too terribly expensive, and possibly the Dragon Dagger (where's my Legacy Blade Blaster!!)

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Does anyone know where I could see episodes of Power Rangers Samurai? I missed everything after Lauren's reveal and got curious as to how it ended.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Agent Rush posted:

Does anyone know where I could see episodes of Power Rangers Samurai? I missed everything after Lauren's reveal and got curious as to how it ended.

A lot of Power Rangers is on Netflix, I'd check there. Also Hulu.com may have Samurai, I know they're currently (sorta, given the hiatus) hosting Megaforce.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

All of Samurai and Super Samurai is on Netflix. Even the holiday specials and Clash of the Red Rangers movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The only thing they don't seem to have are the theatrical movies (no big loss there.)

When the show was first on I really looked down on it, but stuff like Linkara's videos have helped me appreciate how it fits into the sentai tradition and how they actually went into some fairly involved storytelling for a show aimed mainly at 9 year olds. (Even if the end object of most stories was "introduce new toys".) I've since rewatched a few episodes on Netflix.

Honestly the best part of the whole thing is the arc of Bulk and Skull. They're introduced as bullies and as total losers (since it wouldn't be Power Rangers if the bullies ever won, obviously.) But as early as the second season they're made more sympathetic and "Ninja Quest" has the great story with them joining the police, which ends with the Rangers cheering them on. :3: The producers seemed to recognize early on how funny the actors were and just ran with it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There's a season one episode where Skull is wearing from head to toe a Civil War-era Union officer's uniform. It's the greatest thing ever.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

The only thing they don't seem to have are the theatrical movies (no big loss there.)

When the show was first on I really looked down on it, but stuff like Linkara's videos have helped me appreciate how it fits into the sentai tradition and how they actually went into some fairly involved storytelling for a show aimed mainly at 9 year olds. (Even if the end object of most stories was "introduce new toys".) I've since rewatched a few episodes on Netflix.

Honestly the best part of the whole thing is the arc of Bulk and Skull. They're introduced as bullies and as total losers (since it wouldn't be Power Rangers if the bullies ever won, obviously.) But as early as the second season they're made more sympathetic and "Ninja Quest" has the great story with them joining the police, which ends with the Rangers cheering them on. :3: The producers seemed to recognize early on how funny the actors were and just ran with it.

If you haven't ever watched one, you should watch one of the Paul Schrier/Jason Narvy Powermorhicon panels. It eventually got to the point where the scripts would just say "bulk and skull do something funny" and that would be the only direction they would be given.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVKLYYYe23w Ooh, I found the one I was looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUMJ_B3Ylog

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I still have fond memories of the Power Rangers in Space finale, mainly for the Spartacus scene with Bulk and Skull. It was great seeing those characters who used to be antagonistic clowns now basically sacrifice themselves to save the Power Rangers and the world. Of course, then the Rangers swoop in to make it all moot, but the heroic gesture perfectly caps off their character arc and gets the final battle started on a high note. It illustrates how, in the few years they've been around, the Rangers have had a positive impact on the people around them outside of just rescuing them from giant monsters.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Agent Rush posted:

Get a memory wipe and watch Shinkenger.

Also, Japan is going to be airing dubbed episodes of Samurai, which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Get a memory wipe and watch Shinkenger.

Also, Japan is going to be airing dubbed episodes of Samurai, which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I think there was one series that got higher ratings than the original when it was re-imported to Japan. Re-importing PR series is an actual thing in Japan.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zonekeeper posted:

I think there was one series that got higher ratings than the original when it was re-imported to Japan. Re-importing PR series is an actual thing in Japan.
Oh yeah I know, it's just that Samurai is loving horrible and there's literally no reason to bring it over.

Unless Japan really loving loves Bulk and Skull.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The novelty of watching a bunch of westerners somehow be samurai? Plus those ridiculous armors for zord-operating? Japan will love it and wonder why they didn't think of it first.

Are they getting the Shinkenger cast to dub their Power Ranger counterparts? I remember reading the Dekaranger cast did that for SPD.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The novelty of watching a bunch of westerners somehow be samurai? Plus those ridiculous armors for zord-operating? Japan will love it and wonder why they didn't think of it first.

Are they getting the Shinkenger cast to dub their Power Ranger counterparts? I remember reading the Dekaranger cast did that for SPD.
Unlike the Dekaranger cast, the Shinkenger cast will not be involved with the Samurai dub, which is great, because I don't want to hear Genta talk about his love for grilled fish.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zonekeeper posted:

I think there was one series that got higher ratings than the original when it was re-imported to Japan.

This is a bullshit rumour.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates this photo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Phone posting so I can't post the pic, but the one of JDF posing with Stan Lee makes my inner child so happy

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Liar Lyre posted:

Obviously the one guy is Professor Thomas Oliver, but I have no idea who anyone else in this photo is.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Obviously the one guy is Professor Thomas Oliver, but I have no idea who anyone else in this photo is.

Three professional wrestlers and DMC of Run DMC.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Liar Lyre posted:

Where does one manage to gather all of these people not in the same building, but in the same spot, such as to take a photo with them?

Because that rules.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sockser posted:

Where does one manage to gather all of these people not in the same building, but in the same spot, such as to take a photo with them?

Because that rules.

Pretty sure that was Wizard World Chicago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Three professional wrestlers and DMC of Run DMC.

I was like "The Samoan guy looks familiar...", but the context just wasn't there for me to click that it was The Shield. It's weird to think that those guys probably grew up watching JDF.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I've been watching Power Rangers commercials all day today. It's really cool to see how insanely popular it was in the 90's.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Trying to buy Power Rangers toys back when they first came out was crazy too. I got some figures out of a guy's trunk who was selling in the parking lot of a mall. Good times.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

That reminds me, my boss's wife might be giving me a huge box of Power Rangers stuff from at least '94. I know she has Tor the Shuttlezord and a Megazord, just not sure which one.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Trying to buy Power Rangers toys back when they first came out was crazy too. I got some figures out of a guy's trunk who was selling in the parking lot of a mall. Good times.

I remember going to a flea market and seeing a set of MMPR weapons in a box covered with strange text I didn't understand. I begged my mom for it, but she said no, that it was just some cheap Chinese knockoff crap, and I didn't want that junk, did I?

Years later, I would realize those were probably an imported Zyuranger Howling Cannon. If only she had known :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
At the end of SPD, Jack leaves so Skye gets promoted to Red and Bridge gets promoted to Blue, but Sydney and Z are still stuck on their old Pink and Yellow? By the year 2025 I thought all this space-sexism would be over :argh:

Edit: After reading about turning Megaranger and Gingaman into space themed shows, I really wanna read about how they turned Go-onger into RPM.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 17, 2013