Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Turhis posted:

Firefox updated to 23 and it seems that plugins.click_to_play doesn't work anymore or did they change something and didn't bother telling about it?

Edit:

They did change it without telling, you have to change it in Addon Manager to Ask to activate in Shockwave Flash.

It's still not improved from the constant nagging behaviour it had when first introduced, so I'm staying with Flashblock for the forseeable future.

What I mean is; every time I go to a new page, I get the big "Do you want to activate plugins?" popup coming from my addressbar. I never want flash to run automatically, but want to be able to run it on any site as needed. There's no option for that, so I get nagged every time.

Meanwhile, Chrome's built-in equivalent works fine (exactly like flashblock).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
My understanding with that is that they changed it back, along with re-enabling javascript because too many people were enabling it and then complaining that nothing worked.

Turhis
Mar 17, 2009

wooger posted:

It's still not improved from the constant nagging behaviour it had when first introduced, so I'm staying with Flashblock for the forseeable future.

What I mean is; every time I go to a new page, I get the big "Do you want to activate plugins?" popup coming from my addressbar. I never want flash to run automatically, but want to be able to run it on any site as needed. There's no option for that, so I get nagged every time.

Meanwhile, Chrome's built-in equivalent works fine (exactly like flashblock).

I haven't seen that popup in ages, All I got is that icon in address bar where I can change the per site options for flash and If I haven't enabled it for particular site every flash element has a click here to play thing.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Mozilla again postpones Firefox third-party cookie-blocking, this time for months

I was expecting this to land in 23, but when I got 23 yesterday, I noticed 3rd party cookies were still enabled, so I searched around and found this article.

I'm kinda peeved about this. I was pretty excited for Mozilla to implement this. Safari has done it since day 1 without issue, and I know plenty of people that don't have any problems with it. What do you guys think?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I've been blocking third party cookies for a couple years now. At first, it broke quite a few things, but these days almost nothing seems to be adversely affected by it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mozilla's goal is to block more than Safari* without having Apple's "just turn it off if stuff stops working" fallback, and it turns out that's a hard problem to solve.

* Safari allows third-party cookies providing they were originally given to you as a first-party cookie, which means if you ever visit facebook.com, Facebook is suddenly and unconditionally allowed to spy on everything you ever do on the Internet. Plus, their third-party cookie blocking is really easy to workaround and literally every ad network does this automatically.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Fangs404 posted:

Mozilla again postpones Firefox third-party cookie-blocking, this time for months

I was expecting this to land in 23, but when I got 23 yesterday, I noticed 3rd party cookies were still enabled, so I searched around and found this article.

You are aware that you can currently block 3rd-party cookies from unvisited sites, right? They just didn't make it the default yet.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
This is why I just have it prompt me for every cookie that a site attempts to set. If 30 prompts fly up when I click a link, it's time to mash Deny and find somewhere else to get whatever information I was looking for.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Avenging Dentist posted:

You are aware that you can currently block 3rd-party cookies from unvisited sites, right? They just didn't make it the default yet.

Yes, of course I'm aware. I was really hoping they'd make it the default, though. I like the precedent that sets. But I understand that there are certain circumstances where it'll break things for the regular user.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Anyone still have Mouse Gestures Redox (ver 3.2pre.20120202) xpi? I'm on a new PC now and it looks like the site itself is closed for good. It's still my favorite gestures extension even if it's a bit outdated nowadays so hoping one of you is still using it as well.

Edit: Never mind, found it. Had to search the actual file name to get it.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 10, 2013

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am having a problem with all keyboard and mouse input locking up on my computer (Windows 7 64bit) that from what I have tested so far makes me think Firefox could be the culprit. I just updated to 23.0 from 22.0, this is on a fairly new (week old) install of windows onto a clean HD etc etc. I am about to test this theory by using Chrome for a while but does anyone have any Firefox specific troubleshooting tips?

edit:
Add-ons I'm currently running-
ABP 2.3.2
Greasemonkey 1.11
HTTPS Finder 0.85
Imgur Uploader 1.0.6
NoScript 2.6.7
Search By Image (by Google) 1.1.2
Xmarks 4.2.3

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 12, 2013

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/23.0/releasenotes/

quote:

DEVELOPER
Dropped blink effect from text-decoration: blink; and completely removed <blink> element
No! :cry:
Blink is finally dead.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

As long as the best site on the Internet still works, I'm happy.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
How do I always allow mixed content (http/https) for a whole domain rather than just a specific page? I do dev work where the parent frame is https with an iframe that goes my my http localhost app server.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
So, Firefox populates the site list in the permissions manager (about:permissions) from your browser history, which apparently presents a problem when you don't have 'remember browsing history' turned on. Is there some way to manually add sites to that list, maybe outside of Firefox?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

about:permissions is just a different interface to the permissions tab in the Page Info dialog, and the permissions data is stored in a completely different database, so I don't see how disabling your history would matter

Reith
Jul 23, 2007
Is anyone else having problems with periodic crashes on 23.0?

It always seems to happen when I'm away from my computer so I don't know what it's doing before it crashes. The only extensions that have updated recently are Ghostery and FireGestures.

But then I also updated both my GPU drivers and Flash recently. Should I just try a new profile or something?

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Reith posted:

Is anyone else having problems with periodic crashes on 23.0?

It always seems to happen when I'm away from my computer so I don't know what it's doing before it crashes. The only extensions that have updated recently are Ghostery and FireGestures.

But then I also updated both my GPU drivers and Flash recently. Should I just try a new profile or something?

I've crashed like 4 times since I updated aurora today. It's never when I'm using firefox either but rather when I come back to my pc after doing other stuff. I just updated Ghostery as well so maybe it's that.

Reith
Jul 23, 2007

AllanGordon posted:

I've crashed like 4 times since I updated aurora today. It's never when I'm using firefox either but rather when I come back to my pc after doing other stuff. I just updated Ghostery as well so maybe it's that.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I checked the Ghostery forums and found this:

https://getsatisfaction.com/ghostery/topics/very_high_cpu_usage_and_memory_utilization_with_ghostery_5_0_1_for_firefox

Apparently it only happens to users who have both Adblock Plus and Ghostery installed (read: all users of Ghostery). Looks like I'll have to uninstall it for now. Firefox is using over a gig of RAM right now when it usually uses a third of that at most.

If anyone else runs into this problem, I'd recommend installing Disconnect instead.

Reith fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 14, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I have random crazy FPS drops while playing video games, but I'm not exactly sure what causes it. I thought it's the flash plugin, but maybe it's Ghostery? Well I've disabled it for now.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Since we are on Ghostery talk, in the options for Ghostery there is that Performance section, I am wondering if those are redundant to have checked for someone who also runs NoScript + Adblock Plus + Better Privacy?

Performance Options

Scan and block images
Scan and block iframes
Scan and block embed and object tags
Look for and prevent redirection
Delete Flash and Silverlight cookies on exit

I personally keep them all unchecked because I think they are just redundant and cause unnecessary performance loss, am I right in my thinking?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

[Edit] Download Statusbar was causing this. Urgh, I really like that extension, but it's so annoying I have to keep it disabled for now I guess.

[Edit2] OK maybe not just that? Turning Ghostery back on (I just disabled that first, then DLS, while testing) and it's back, but not all the time. Did a bunch of backend changes just break the poo poo out of extensions or something? The Save dialog just completely ignores all keyboard input entirely.

[Edit3] It's actually Ghostery, and only Ghostery, as far as I can tell. I also have Adblock installed. I guess it's related to whatever bug was mentioned earlier.

Is anyone else experiencing a REALLY annoying problem where Firefox refuses to respect the Enter key when saving images? If I right click -> Save As and type a filename, then press Enter, it does nothing; just highlights the name I entered. I've had this bug before, but it would eventually save if I pushed Enter a few times. Now it never does it, no matter how many times I try; I have to click the actual Save button.

Also, the Escape key used to work to cancel the Save dialog, but now it does nothing.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 14, 2013

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Are there keyboard shortcuts for activating the tab adjacent to this one? "Select the the next tab on the left" "Select the the next tab on the right"

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

Wheany posted:

Are there keyboard shortcuts for activating the tab adjacent to this one? "Select the the next tab on the left" "Select the the next tab on the right"

Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab. If you're using a tab addon they may be remapped to select by most recent.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Guerrand posted:

Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab. If you're using a tab addon they may be remapped to select by most recent.

Is there something that lets me keep the most-recent bahavior of ctrl-tab and also switch tabs in-order?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ctrl-PageUp and Ctrl-PageDown

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pseudorandom name posted:

Ctrl-PageUp and Ctrl-PageDown

Yes, thank you.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been having trouble with Aurora apparently causing transient hangs over the last several weeks, and this time things got hairy enough that it forced a reboot and didn't leave a crash dump.

I know in my case it's not Ghostery, because I haven't used it in months. I do use Adblockplus and Noscript though, which I figured were probably getting into a fight over what to filter and how.

Weird thing is, about the time my system bounced, it did log an error about Microsoft Security Essentials failing to update... and similar errors litter my event log. Poking Google brings up results suggesting that MSSE issues can cause hangs and reboots, and reports of it and firefox behaving badly together, but those hits are a few years old.

gently caress if I know if they might be related, but I'm going to start checking the event log each time I recover from one of these hangs.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Bieeardo posted:

I've been having trouble with Aurora apparently causing transient hangs over the last several weeks, and this time things got hairy enough that it forced a reboot and didn't leave a crash dump.
That sounds more like you have a problem with your system storage device becoming unavailable. Are you using an SSD? If using an HDD, run Crystal Disk Info to confirm it doesn't show Caution, which would mean the drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If the problem persists, post a thread in the Haus of Tech Support using the template in the sticky Rules thread.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That was the first thing I checked, but the Intel diagnostics software said the SSD was fine, and Crystaldiskinfo said the same for the platter drives I've got in there with it.

If things go screwy again, I'll definitely visit the Haus. I appreciate the suggestion, thanks.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
What's the best way to sync my bookmarks with an iOS device?

("Switch to chrome" is probably the easiest answer here isn't it?)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

xamphear posted:

What's the best way to sync my bookmarks with an iOS device?

("Switch to chrome" is probably the easiest answer here isn't it?)

This app claims to work with Firefox Sync: [link]

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Personally I use Evernote. Desktop client, clients for various devices, www interface etc. all available 8)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Alereon posted:

That sounds more like you have a problem with your system storage device becoming unavailable.

I would agree on this but I'll point out that out of the four plus times I've run into the problem, only once has the drive itself been the problem (that one was an OCZ SSD :( ) - usually, it's the disk controller. If you've got your drives plugged into a Marvell controller, don't. Otherwise, if you can identify the disk that's hanging, try a different port.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Ever since I noticed my address bar's search was screwing up I've started looking up what to expect in future versions of firefox. Are they really doing away with the search box, or are these just rumors?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Does anyone else use "complete" themes? This is the best one I've tried, but unfortunately it hasn't updated in a while and isn't compatible with 23 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/rein/?src=search

This one looks really slick, but it's only for osx :unsmigghh: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/defaultmod/?src=search

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Does anyone else use "complete" themes? This is the best one I've tried, but unfortunately it hasn't updated in a while and isn't compatible with 23 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/rein/?src=search

This one looks really slick, but it's only for osx :unsmigghh: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/defaultmod/?src=search

You can change the install.rdf & change the maxversion so it will install. Use something like DownThemAll to download the .xpi file ( https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/latest/7297/addon-7297-latest.xpi )
then open it with WinRar, open the Install.rdf with Notepad change the maxversion. Save then drag & drop the .xpi into your Open FF window. Installer will appear and allow.

Here's the .xpi i changed the maxversion on already :> http://db.tt/6DbuwbBq

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
All of steva's "complete themes" are pretty good in my opinion. I'm currently constantly switching between his FT DeepDark and NASA Night Launch.

As Nero Danced posted:

Ever since I noticed my address bar's search was screwing up I've started looking up what to expect in future versions of firefox. Are they really doing away with the search box, or are these just rumors?

Everyone is rushing to be Chrome unfortunately.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is it possible for an addon to fix the lovely new icon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Atrocious Pirate posted:

You can change the install.rdf & change the maxversion so it will install. Use something like DownThemAll to download the .xpi file ( https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/latest/7297/addon-7297-latest.xpi )
then open it with WinRar, open the Install.rdf with Notepad change the maxversion. Save then drag & drop the .xpi into your Open FF window. Installer will appear and allow.

Here's the .xpi i changed the maxversion on already :> http://db.tt/6DbuwbBq

Thanks a bunch!