Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

Quetzadilla posted:

I mean, he's probably right? The housing market hasn't bottomed out, it's just that demand has artificially increased as a result of banks keeping shadow inventory to create artificial scarcity and real estate investment firms driving up prices/competition because they can pay in cash immediately to turn that foreclosed home into a rental to bundle and securitize and sell to a hedge-fund. Rent this year in the bay area increased 18% over the last 3 years, (8% in the past 12 months) and is officially more expensive than New York. Still can't afford to buy a house with that kinda money in Cali though!

California's economic recovery has been pretty weak, and mostly on the back of Silicon Valley (and its continual creep into SF and the East Bay). To be honest, I'm of the opinion it's another dot-com boom, particularly given facebook's ridiculous valuation at its IPO. I mean look at Zynga, who loving laid off 18% of their staff a few months ago and now have a half-empty garish faux-industrial office building in SOMA.

The city of Vallejo (I think) went through bankruptcy. Stockton's filing. Probably a lot more are on their way.

It's not really a question of whether it will happen but when. The answer lies in how long those pulling the strings can keep the music going.

Oh. Uhh. Hmm.

Wrt to the original post, I'm not familiar with the author but its pretty easy to make a deceptively 'correct' forecast with enough volume. Broken clocks and all that. For example it seems that in October of last year he predicted another devastating financial crash before the end of the year, but I doubt he'll be forthcoming in advertising that or his true forecasting record, just the correct ones.

As for why we are probably not in imminent danger of another financial collapse, well, it just doesn't show in the numbers. Regional price fluctuations are probably due to regional factors. And we do actually have a safer financial system than we did pre-crisis because there is no way anyone is going to let a bank fail and everyone knows that. The implicit financial backstop drastically reduces the odds of a bank run type liquidity crisis. Do we have the best backstop and regulations? Hell no. But it's still pretty resilient for the time being.

Edit: haha I found a quote. Also it seems some people think he is an economist. He's not.

quote:

The data is clear, 50% unemployment, a 90% stock market drop, and 100% annual inflation . . . starting in 2012.

Pierat fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pierat posted:

And we do actually have a safer financial system than we did pre-crisis because there is no way anyone is going to let a bank fail and everyone knows that.

:psyduck: How does this make our financial system safer?

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008

WampaLord posted:

:psyduck: How does this make our financial system safer?

Read the next sentence. Yes it distorts incentives and in the long run will do, well, something. The biggest effect is an implicit subsidy that increases financial profits by reducing borrowing costs. Maybe it will lead to riskier portfolios, I'd have to do some reading before I have an opinion on that.

But in terms of preventing financial crises themselves, we have a more certain backstop than we did before. If Lehman wasn't allowed to go under, the worst of the crisis wouldn't have happened.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Pierat posted:

Read the next sentence. Yes it distorts incentives and in the long run will do, well, something. The biggest effect is an implicit subsidy that increases financial profits by reducing borrowing costs. Maybe it will lead to riskier portfolios, I'd have to do some reading before I have an opinion on that.

But in terms of preventing financial crises themselves, we have a more certain backstop than we did before. If Lehman wasn't allowed to go under, the worst of the crisis wouldn't have happened.

The financial system is safer then ever, because the government will let the industry do basically whatever it wants.

Good thing too, or we'd have flat wages, high unemployment, and people dropping out of the workforce....

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

the government will let the industry do basically whatever it wants.

Except collapse. Which is the relevant point wrt to why a financial crisis is unlikely to happen Next Month/Quarter/Whenever. Plus probably some sort of Minsky-like phenomenon where financial markets are risk averse right now because they are scared of another crisis.

Longer term, yes, you're right. This is not the best policy regime and I've made that point in my last two posts.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rolling Stone had this great article on why saving the banks and the government effectively lying about their solvency was a really goddamn terrible idea and only made them more top-heavy and more dangerously unregulated and irresponsible, but now I can't find it. It would both help me and the current discussion if someone could dig it up for me please :3:

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
Sorry, for whatever reason I read the first post I quoted as referring to California's economy rather than America's (hence my specifics being exclusively California related). That doesn't mean that we aren't headed for another national collapse though since like 2/3 of what I said applies nationally.

Pierat posted:

As for why we are probably not in imminent danger of another financial collapse, well, it just doesn't show in the numbers. Regional price fluctuations are probably due to regional factors. And we do actually have a safer financial system than we did pre-crisis because there is no way anyone is going to let a bank fail and everyone knows that. The implicit financial backstop drastically reduces the odds of a bank run type liquidity crisis. Do we have the best backstop and regulations? Hell no. But it's still pretty resilient for the time being.

You do realize that implicit guarantee of banks basically guarantees another collapse?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the assumption is that banks have "learned their lesson" when they almost certainly haven't. It is like giving some compulsive gamblers a bunch of chips, and then telling them if they lose then all that there are plenty more from where they came from.

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the assumption is that banks have "learned their lesson" when they almost certainly haven't. It is like giving some compulsive gamblers a bunch of chips, and then telling them if they lose then all that there are plenty more from where they came from.

Nope, it's actually the pro-cyclicality of financial markets. You could just google Minsky or read his wiki, it's a pretty simple theory. And you'd like it, it's about unstable financial markets.

Quetzadilla posted:

Sorry, for whatever reason I read the first post I quoted as referring to California's economy rather than America's (hence my specifics being exclusively California related). That doesn't mean that we aren't headed for another national collapse though since like 2/3 of what I said applies nationally.

You do realize that implicit guarantee of banks basically guarantees another collapse?

A precipitous drop means big % increases after just as a matter of math. If there's another bubble it almost certainly won't be in housing.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/SPCS20RSA
http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/SFXRSA

I've yet to see a single source claiming a huge looming asset price bubble that has even minimal data to back it up. If there's as asset price bubble, it should be reflected in some asset pice.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pierat posted:

Nope, it's actually the pro-cyclicality of financial markets. You could just google Minsky or read his wiki, it's a pretty simple theory. And you'd like it, it's about unstable financial markets.

Markets are fundamentally unstable and cyclical, which is why their increasingly influence will have destabilizing influence on American society (and the rest of humanity). The American economy didn't recovery from the last recession and the European economy in all serious ways is still in crisis. Another cycle of financial collapse might unravel things more than you would expect.

Empires come and go, but this will be the first time it is truly global.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Pierat posted:

A precipitous drop means big % increases after just as a matter of math. If there's another bubble it almost certainly won't be in housing.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/SPCS20RSA
http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/SFXRSA

I've yet to see a single source claiming a huge looming asset price bubble that has even minimal data to back it up. If there's as asset price bubble, it should be reflected in some asset pice.

The second graph you linked shows housing prices double what they were twenty years ago and climbing again.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Pierat posted:

Student loans, which have replaced mortgages as the hot new thing to bundle and sell to investors (which aren't backed by any asset and are going to become massively delinquent).

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Quetzadilla posted:

Student loans, which have replaced mortgages as the hot new thing to bundle and sell to investors (which aren't backed by any asset and are going to become massively delinquent).

Don't forget the added perk that they aren't dischargeable in bankruptcy.

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
Or that annual student loan abs issuances are less than half than what they were in the years leading up to 2008.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/02/fitch-us-student-loan-abs-can-withstand-idUSFit66142920130702

According to a Fitch press release:

quote:

Still-rising college costs and the amount of U.S. student loans reaching an all-time high have created a college tuition bubble,

quote:

Outstanding student loans approached nearly $1 trillion at the end of last year, becoming the second largest source of consumer debt after mortgage loans.

quote:

'Less than 25% of the nearly $1 trillion in outstanding student loans is securitized and funded through the ABS market,' said Senior Director Tracy Wan.

quote:

Of the often-quoted $1 trillion pool of outstanding student loans, only 15%, are private student loans that do not carry a U.S. government guarantee, as noted in our recent special report.
(That last bit from a different Fitch press release: http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2013/08/05/2868026/fitch-private-student-loan-proposals.html)

So roughly a quarter of a trillion dollars are tied up in student loan ABSes, 85% of which is government guaranteed. I guess compared to a GDP of 15 trillion it's not a whole lot and it probably won't have a failure cascade like mortgages did, but student loans also have no real assets backing them and a higher default rate. I wouldn't say it's an insignificant amount, particularly given the tenuous nature of our economic "recovery" and even a small disruption could send us all reeling. Please toxx yourself re: a triple-dip recession Pierat.

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008

Quetzadilla posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/02/fitch-us-student-loan-abs-can-withstand-idUSFit66142920130702

According to a Fitch press release:

(That last bit from a different Fitch press release: http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2013/08/05/2868026/fitch-private-student-loan-proposals.html)

So roughly a quarter of a trillion dollars are tied up in student loan ABSes, 85% of which is government guaranteed. I guess compared to a GDP of 15 trillion it's not a whole lot and it probably won't have a failure cascade like mortgages did, but student loans also have no real assets backing them and a higher default rate. I wouldn't say it's an insignificant amount, particularly given the tenuous nature of our economic "recovery" and even a small disruption could send us all reeling. Please toxx yourself re: a triple-dip recession Pierat.

Haha, okay. I'll even let you pick a date, but you have to be in on it too.

Premature fed tapering doesn't count though!

Edit: and do you mean two more recessions or just one? Cause that 'double dip' never actually happened.

Pierat fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 21, 2013

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Pierat posted:

Premature fed tapering doesn't count though!

Malarkey!

e: TBH this would be The Worst Toxx because we'd have to agree on metrics by which to qualify "recession" and the reporting source would vastly skew the results so I suppose I will just have to be smug in the knowledge that given the cyclical nature of capitalist economy I will be right eventually :smug:. Besides being toxxed isn't a big deal since I've been trying to get banned since the day I registered! In all seriousness I'd be surprised if we didn't have a major disruption to our "recovery" within 4-5 years though.

Quetzadilla fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 21, 2013

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have a good concise summary of the cause of the US Postal Service's problems in the last few years? I know it's largely the fault of the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006, but a good Snopes-style summary would be nice to have around.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quetzadilla posted:

Malarkey!

e: TBH this would be The Worst Toxx because we'd have to agree on metrics by which to qualify "recession" and the reporting source would vastly skew the results so I suppose I will just have to be smug in the knowledge that given the cyclical nature of capitalist economy I will be right eventually :smug:. Besides being toxxed isn't a big deal since I've been trying to get banned since the day I registered! In all seriousness I'd be surprised if we didn't have a major disruption to our "recovery" within 4-5 years though.

Yes, I guess predicting a recession 10 years after the last one in a system that has recessions every 10 years would be the easiest toxx in the world.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

cbirdsong posted:

Does anyone have a good concise summary of the cause of the US Postal Service's problems in the last few years? I know it's largely the fault of the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006, but a good Snopes-style summary would be nice to have around.
Something else to note is that the GOP Platform cites fiscal trouble as an argument for privatization.

Shameless Republicans posted:

Restructuring the U.S. Postal Service for the Twenty-First Century

The dire financial circumstances of the Postal Service require dramatic restructuring. In a world of rapidly advancing telecommunications, mail delivery from the era of the Pony Express cannot long survive. We call on Congress to restructure the Service to ensure the continuance of its essential function of delivering mail while preparing for the downsizing made inevitable by the advance of internet communication. In light of the Postal Service’s seriously underfunded pension system, Congress should explore a greater role for private enterprise in appropriate aspects of the mail-processing system.

(Source)

And that congress has been problematic

quote:

In other countries, post offices double as banks or sell insurance or cellphones. In the United States, Congress has barred the Postal Service from entering many of these areas. In the 1990s, forecasting a decline in first-class mail, the Postal Service tried several nonmail products, like phone cards, money transfers and e-mail accounts. But Congress said the ventures created unfair competition for the private sector and did not seem to make much money.

Companies like U.P.S. also objected. According to a 2000 report on the Postal Service’s e-commerce activities by the Government Accountability Office, U.P.S.’s position was that “a government monopoly should not be allowed to use the benefits of its government standing to attack the private sector.” In 2006, Congress restricted nonpostal activities and told the agency to stick with delivering the mail.

Even so, in 2008, the agency tried to raise additional revenue by selling postal meter cartridges to corporations, branded with its logo. But the plan was shelved after Pitney Bowes, a major supplier of ink cartridges, appealed to postal regulators who answer to Congress, saying that the service would cause “immediate harm” to its business.

The Postal Service said that such restrictions might have cost the agency billions. A 2010 report from the Postal Service’s inspector general said introducing 10 new products like secure e-mail, electronic bill payment and even some banking services could add $9.7 billion annually to Postal Service revenue, which was $66 billion in 2011. But over half of those products would require a change in legislation.

And that they could probably stand to raise stamp prices, too:

quote:

How did the Post Office get into these dire straits when the price of stamps keeps going up?

As it turns out, 46 cents is a really good deal. In the United Kingdom, for example, a first class stamp costs 60 pence, or roughly 94 cents. In Canada, it’s 63 cents (which is about the same in U.S. currency). Geddes said if our postal service was refashioned to be more of a delivery system for still-plentiful but lower-margin commercial mail — ads, catalogs and the like — Americans could pay 30 percent to 40 percent more to send that birthday card — which would bring the price of a stamp to about 64 cents.

The Postal Service is limited in how much it can raise the price of postage, but that’s only one of the factors keeping it from financial solvency.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

cbirdsong posted:

Dont mind the source but the discussion points are about spot on.

It started with the Postal Civil Service Retirement System Funding Reform Act of 2003 and PAEA of 2006 begins the nail in the coffin.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Friend posted this today, I want to tell him it had more to do with GM pulling jobs and shutting down factories than anything but I need a bit more help than that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's not like you can point at any one thing and say "Yup, this killed Detroit" but a huge problem right now is that they have a population of 700k supporting the pensions of enough government employees to support a city over twice that size. Also a city physically big enough to hold 1.5 million people can't be reasonably maintained with half that population. It's not as simple as someone spending the city into the ground.

As an Urbanist I'd say that the suburbanization of Detroit has played a big part in ruining Detroit. Suburban areas aren't very resilient whereas more urban areas are, and most of Detroit is suburban.

And then there's white flight, lot's of surrounding suburbs are still affluent and just fine financially, and they wouldn't exist without Detroit either, so they can essentially have their cake and eat it too.

But someone that doesn't look at everything through an urbanist bent like I do is going to see something different as a major cause, and I don't think either one of us would be wrong.

I've never seen that documentary, but from the looks of it, it doesn't have any kind of political bent. So your friend just saw a movie about how bad Detroit is, and jumped straight to blaming liberals.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Edit, Question: Does anyone know how fringe (or not fringe) the Libertarian position of opposing mandatory vaccination on the grounds of [Freedom!] is? I've got a guy on another forum who literally asserts that Freedom from Vaccination is worth the cost, up to and including polio and small pox.

FISHMANPET posted:

I've never seen that documentary, but from the looks of it, it doesn't have any kind of political bent. So your friend just saw a movie about how bad Detroit is, and jumped straight to blaming liberals.
I've seen it; I think you're right.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 22, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Accretionist posted:

Edit, Question: Does anyone know how fringe (or not fringe) the Libertarian position of opposing mandatory vaccination on the grounds of [Freedom!] is? I've got a guy on another forum who literally asserts that Freedom from Vaccination is worth the cost, up to and including polio and small pox.

I've seen it; I think you're right.

Vaccinations are not merely an individual issue. There is also the issue of herd immunity, that you need to keep the vaccination level of the population above a certain level to keep diseases from spreading.

By not getting vaccinated, he's sponging off the rest of the population by riding on the herd immunity they have created. Additionally, he may have the freedom to get sick, but he does not have the freedom to endanger others by harboring diseases he will pass on (aka Typhoid Mary) .

His decisions do not affect him alone. They affect everyone, whether he likes it or not. Externalities like that are rather difficult for libertarians to cope with.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Accretionist posted:

The idea really isn't fringe, a pew poll showed 29% support letting a parent decide(this was the only poll I could find)
http://www.people-press.org/2009/07/09/section-5-evolution-climate-change-and-other-issues/

although the actual amount of people who don't follow through on all the quasi mandatory vaccinations is probably fringe. It may be slightly higher now because of the HPV vaccine and parents freaking out their daughter may at one point in her life have sex. A yougov poll in Britain showed about the same amount opposed there
http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/04/11/majority-support-compulsory-vaccinations/

But no, you don't get to ramble about freedom when your idiocy 'freedom' puts the health and lives of others at risk. Otherwise gently caress it, let's get rid of drunk driving laws. The freedom to drive is paramount particularly because of the independence it gives, the cost of those at risk on the highway is worth it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

quote:

You are mission the point. A corporation is an invention of the government, not of the free market. Yes, in a free market people can work together. But in a truly free market, they couldn't hide behind some "I didn't do that, the corporation did that!" bs. A human being built the car that had glue under the gas pedal. A human being designed it that way. A human being safety inspected it (alledgely) and a human being sold it. Those human beings should be held responsible for the results of their actions. Not hide behind some fictional "Entity" called a corporation.

The BP oil spill? That was a human who did that. A human being is resposible for that - NOT a "Corporation". Corporations are a fiction that we all (or most of us) just willingly accept as truth.

If there was a Free Market - along with Personal Responsibility (the other side of the "Yes, Mr. Obama, I really DID 'build that'." coin) - then you wouldn't need government interference. Standard laws that apply to any human being (don't kill, don't steal, don't harm, etc.) would still be around and enforcable. In fact, they'd be far more enforcable than they are today, because - as the law currently recognizes it - so much harm is done by "Corporations" who cannot be jailed, or killed, or punished in any way other than fines.

Me and this guy were arguing about 'Free Market' and how its utter bullshit, and this was his response when I pointed out things like Standard Oil

I don't even know where to begin with this crap...

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Literally even the Romans realized "hurr, personal responsibility" was stupid and provided a public grain dole along with other intermittent welfare acts. Tell him congrats to evolving to 4,000bc

e: More seriously though, the 'free market' is as much a government invention as a corporation is since he's not a random farmer offering me a bin of apples for my bin of cabbage. Not to mention the corporation is the end result of the fact the market wanted corporations as they have distinct economic benefits. If corporations were bad, people wouldn't be buying shares in them. Free market at work :smug: But really, how does he expect global economics to function in 2013 without the entity we call corporations.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 22, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

CommieGIR posted:

Me and this guy were arguing about 'Free Market' and how its utter bullshit, and this was his response when I pointed out things like Standard Oil

He seems to mostly be concerned with issues of liability.

I know I wouldn't want to live in a world you could sue everybody in a car factory if the brakes failed or something like that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

He seems to mostly be concerned with issues of liability.

I know I wouldn't want to live in a world you could sue everybody in a car factory if the brakes failed or something like that.

And then he sends this.

quote:

I don't believe in "Intellectual property" - so steal all the ideas you want.

And vomit back all the Reddit pro-Telsa arguments you want - Thomas Edison **DID** foster invention. There were a lot of things invented in Menlow Park, regardless of who did the inventing. Innovation occurred. Just like they did in Bell Labs. Trying to use Edison as an example of stiffling innovation? Are you mad? He is LITERALLY the poster boy for invention. When someone has an idea, it's not a pointless Tesla Coil above their heads, it's a drat Edison Brand Incandescent Light Bulb ™®©.

Seriously, the internet has really fried some people's brains.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sounds like a real winner :allears:

At least in your friend's world you'd be able to choose which inefficiently managed free market privately owned power grid you'd want to buy your lovely DC power from :colbert:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
That reminds me, I think I read something once about some centuries old philosophical concept of like, "the fiction of the heroic individual," and the paradigm was basically that every man is a heroic construct and the world is an abstract plain across which the extension of will plays out and that this poo poo's straight up retarded but it's what American conservatives are regressing toward.

This ring any bells? I know nothing of philosophy.

Edit: Like, that guy is trying to reduce everything to individual will in this totally incoherent way

Unlearning
May 7, 2011
What is he advocating? Anarchy? Because if it's anything short of that then he's talking about certain institutions, laws like property and so forth that are needed for 'free market' transactions to take place, and these involve political decisions that affect how things go down. I try not to link to myself too much, but I wrote about this here, maybe it will help.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

quote:

rear end in a top hat or not, dead cats or not - Innovation occurred. Your statement was that Edison stifled innovation by "stealing" ideas (that he paid for). But the fact is, he was paying cash money for inventions, and inventors showed the frak up for work - and 1000 patents were filed. (also, don't agree with patents)

The point is, the argument that somehow Edison "stealing" the credit for the inventions led to less innovation is bull crap.

And if you want to mock the personality of inventors - let's talk about Tesla's bird problem.

And it was NOT a corporation that caused the BP oil spill. CORPORATIONS DO NOT EXIST.

A HUMAN BEING, (or rather several human beings) made decisions that led to that disaster.

Corporations are FICTIONAL ENTITIES. That would be like blaming Santa Claus for your lack of a Nintendo 64. No, your parents (human beings) made a choice, and now you are stuck with a Atari Jaguar.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have to say I'm amazed when people come in here looking for help with Facebook arguments with their friends and then the "friends" are posting nonsense like that.

Why are these people your friends?

For me personally, so many of my ideas on politics and morals heavily define who I am as a person, so in general I find myself not really wanting to spend time with people that are off the deep end.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
Any there any good resources on the effects of pesticides used in agriculture on the human body? Doesn't need to be specific studies, but an evidence supported argument would be preferable.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

FISHMANPET posted:

I have to say I'm amazed when people come in here looking for help with Facebook arguments with their friends and then the "friends" are posting nonsense like that.

Why are these people your friends?

For me personally, so many of my ideas on politics and morals heavily define who I am as a person, so in general I find myself not really wanting to spend time with people that are off the deep end.

There's people you may have known your entire life, who've you grown apart from for whatever reason, but your main contact with them is facebook.

Sometimes we feel that maybe helping to change a long terms friends mind is better than saying "you disagree with me on economics, gently caress this".

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I suppose I've moved around enough as a child that I don't have any friends I've known most of my life.

On the other hand, I've only once changed someone's mind with internet arguing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

I suppose I've moved around enough as a child that I don't have any friends I've known most of my life.

On the other hand, I've only once changed someone's mind with internet arguing.
It often takes a while to sink in. You've probably affected more people than you realize.

In my life, I've shifted from Republican to Libertarian to some kind of quasi-socialist humanist. A lot of internet debating was involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Uhh, I have no idea how this guy expects the world to work.

Patents are incentive for invention and the publicizing thereof: without them, anybody could steal your awesome idea you spent thousands of dollars and hours developing and sell it for pennies. They profit, you can't recoup your resources, so you don't invent anything new.

Corporations are an incentive for lots of people to work together to accomplish a big task without risking the individuals' resources. Billionaires are willing to gamble a million dollars because if the idea/venture/whatever fails, oh well they lost a million dollars; if it pays off, hey they got some more million dollars! If they aren't protected by that legal fiction (of a company incorporated into a paper person) then their billions are at risk, and they'll just hang out safe in their mansion.

Corporations and patents can be used for really nasty purposes, but there's a reason they were invented. They're ideas that can be (and are) abused, but they're not inherently bad or wrong.

He seems to be objecting to these legal fictions. Perhaps he has the same objections to legal fictions like "The Rule of Law" or "Innocent until proven guilty" or anything besides "Might makes right," because that seriously sounds like what he's advocating.

• Locked thread