Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
It's hit and miss, I guess, but I think it's only a horrible podcast to people who think talking about video games is pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin

ibntumart posted:

It's hit and miss, I guess, but I think it's only a horrible podcast to people who think talking about video games is pathetic.

Ok so he has a podcast about video games people may or may not like.

No more stand up I can watch?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Dip Facial posted:

Ok so he has a podcast about video games people may or may not like.

No more stand up I can watch?

Youtube is riddled with his stand-up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The new Maria Bamford album is really good, but there is a woman in the audience whose laugh is absolutely the worst. And it's very, very loud.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Kumail also has a few great parts in Portlandia, which if you haven't seen will rock your socks clean off.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Both Maria's and Kumail's new albums are great.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Just saw Tig Notaro do about 45 minutes at a 250-person-capacity standing-room show that had initially been booked for someone's house, as part of her tour documentary. It was phenomenal, and a large percentage of the crowd (and for about the first half-hour of the experience, 80% of the crowd) were people I know from doing comedy locally the last few months, so it was really fun and homey and felt like we were at stand-up fantasy camp and our special guest counselor was Tig. She was hilarious, razor-sharp with crowd work. And Jon Dore opened for her and was also very funny. At one point, inspired by one of the opening musical acts, he actually crowd-surfed while telling a joke (this looked ridiculous, and he impressively didn't miss a beat or seem to change his delivery in any way). And there was free beer?! Great night all around.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The new Maria Bamford album is really good, but there is a woman in the audience whose laugh is absolutely the worst. And it's very, very loud.

Yeah, boy, I played it for my friend on the way to the aforementioned show, and I had listened to the album before but hadn't noticed how awful that one cackler was.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Dip Facial posted:

I know I've seen him in other stuff and found him funny but holy poo poo that special is hilarious.

According to his wikipedia that's his only special?

He was great on the Jeselnik Offensive too, I would love to see more of his stand up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cvKcGVy6k
This is a great kumail bit.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've recently discovered how great Jessi Klein is, after catching her half-hour Comedy Central Presents special from 2011-ish (seriously, Amazon Prime has almost all of those available to stream), and then she did a five-minute set on last night's new John Oliver's New York Stand-Up Show that is worth catching.

I know she's a writer for Inside Amy Schumer (I can only imagine how much fun it would be listening to Jessi, Amy, and Tig Notaro in the writers' room), and I'm following her Twitter now, but what else of hers is out there?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kyle Kinane has a new special, kinda. https://chill.com/kinane/dancing-around-the-poo poo-fire

Edit: Have not downloaded it, but it makes it sound like a new show from him plus other Chicago comedians. Man, bless Patton Oswalt's heart for hipping me to Kinane. He's a really cool cat.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 11, 2013

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

How much of the 59 minutes is Kyle performing?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

nerve posted:

How much of the 59 minutes is Kyle performing?

I actually don't have a credit card on my Paypal account yet so I will try to find out but I imagine you'll have decided by then if you're going to download this.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

From another poster -

urk the quack posted:

Awesome, thanks! Going to watch it now.

E: Just so it's clear, this is a special Kinane produced and opens up for, but not a purely one person stand-up special. 10-15 min. of Kinane tops.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Tonight's hot tub was one of the best I have been to. Chris Thayer from you made it weird was really funny, Eric Andre was just as loving weird and out there as you would hope, and Bobcat was seriously just on point. Then Nick Krull dropped in and did like all of his James Franco roast jokes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I like this thread. You guys have turned me on to a lot of funny poo poo, so thanks.

To contribute, I don't get a lot of the Kinison hate I've read here. There was a lot more to the guy than "AHHHHHHHHH". His more clever bits on drug use, marriage and especially religion are loving classic and spot on hilarious. Dude had a way of channeling the pain, anger and despair of hypocrisy that I still find funny. Granted, his "fags have AIDS" poo poo is hard to take and after a while, once he became "Sam the Jessica Hahn loving rock star" it all got a bit tired but I've seen a lot of good comics go through this.

Dice, for instance, also catches a lot of poo poo but I always looked at him as a parody and a caricature of a certain laughable stereotype, where you're laughing AT the guy and not really the material, which was always pathetically weak. I think to an extent, you had to be from Philly, Jersey or New York to "get" what Dice was doing, which to me was always poking fun at the stupidity of your average misogynistic, homophobic stupid Guido.

There are a lot of "classic" popular, legendary comics whose material doesn't hold up once cultural attitudes and certain mindsets change. Henny Youngman telling his wife to get in the kitchen, for instance. Gleason threatening to punch his wife to the moon. Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Lenny Bruce, Kinison, Carlin, Cheech & Chong, even Chris Rock...a lot of this stuff is genuinely funny, it just doesn't hold up too well over time removed from its social historical context. Pryor's considered a comedy god and I can barely tolerate a lot of his material now.

I guess I've just never been easily offended and have always enjoyed "dark and edgy" comedy, even if the edge dulls a bit over time. I think what happens a lot is that comics bring this stuff out into the forefront, make it funny and shine enough light on it that it becomes no longer funny and sort of puts it to bed in a way.

Guys like Seinfeld, Steven Wright and Cosby, all of whom I've seen within the last 4 or 5 years, continue to amaze me at how timeless and transcendent they can be. I wonder if it's a coincidence that they all work clean.

What does everyone think of Jim Jeffries? He hasn't been brought up much in this thread and I think he's great. Is he one of those "he's so good, he goes without saying" comics or one of those "he's popular and says 'oval office' so it's not cool to like him" guys?

Also, I know it's not standup, but I was happy to see 'Whose Line Is It Anyway' come back on the air. Where does Robert Smigel fit into this discussion too? I always love Triumph and some of the Insult Comic Dog material is kinda sorta standup.

Anyhow, again, great thread. I've discovered a lot of comics I've never heard before. Off to go listen to some more.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

BiggerBoat posted:

I like this thread. You guys have turned me on to a lot of funny poo poo, so thanks.

To contribute, I don't get a lot of the Kinison hate I've read here. There was a lot more to the guy than "AHHHHHHHHH". His more clever bits on drug use, marriage and especially religion are loving classic and spot on hilarious. Dude had a way of channeling the pain, anger and despair of hypocrisy that I still find funny. Granted, his "fags have AIDS" poo poo is hard to take and after a while, once he became "Sam the Jessica Hahn loving rock star" it all got a bit tired but I've seen a lot of good comics go through this.

I think Rock Star Sam is mainly who gets hated on, in the Kinison hate I hear. What you articulated is more or less the consensus opinion I've heard on Kinison from comics and long-time comedy fans.

BiggerBoat posted:

Dice, for instance, also catches a lot of poo poo but I always looked at him as a parody and a caricature of a certain laughable stereotype, where you're laughing AT the guy and not really the material, which was always pathetically weak. I think to an extent, you had to be from Philly, Jersey or New York to "get" what Dice was doing, which to me was always poking fun at the stupidity of your average misogynistic, homophobic stupid Guido.

I was a kid when Dice was relevant, but I got the impression that even if he was poking fun at a part of the culture, his fan base had a large amount of people who were in the corner of those sentiments, rather than going "I know! I hate those guys!" and that probably wounded his reputation.

BiggerBoat posted:

There are a lot of "classic" popular, legendary comics whose material doesn't hold up once cultural attitudes and certain mindsets change. Henny Youngman telling his wife to get in the kitchen, for instance. Gleason threatening to punch his wife to the moon. Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Lenny Bruce, Kinison, Carlin, Cheech & Chong, even Chris Rock...a lot of this stuff is genuinely funny, it just doesn't hold up too well over time removed from its social historical context. Pryor's considered a comedy god and I can barely tolerate a lot of his material now.

I still think Pryor, Carlin and Chris Rock are hilarious. I never really cared for the Honeymooners, but there is old sitcom material I still find really funny (Get Smart and Green Acres for instance... not AS old but still really old).

BiggerBoat posted:

Guys like Seinfeld, Steven Wright and Cosby, all of whom I've seen within the last 4 or 5 years, continue to amaze me at how timeless and transcendent they can be. I wonder if it's a coincidence that they all work clean.

Well, I don't think it's a coincidence that none of them rely on shock. I don't think it would hurt an equally talented comic's staying power to throw in a few conversational f-bombs, but it might hurt his "all audiences" appeal.

BiggerBoat posted:

What does everyone think of Jim Jeffries? He hasn't been brought up much in this thread and I think he's great. Is he one of those "he's so good, he goes without saying" comics or one of those "he's popular and says 'oval office' so it's not cool to like him" guys?

I'm not particularly familiar with him (I'll check him out), but Louis CK is immensely popular and says oval office a LOT and it's definitely cool to like him. I'd venture to say the same about Bill Burr.

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, I know it's not standup, but I was happy to see 'Whose Line Is It Anyway' come back on the air. Where does Robert Smigel fit into this discussion too? I always love Triumph and some of the Insult Comic Dog material is kinda sorta standup.

Come Poop With Me is one of my favorite in-character stand-up CD's.

"Hey doctor!"
"Yeah?"
"Every time I drink coffee my eye hurts!"
"Well, stop sucking your father's cock!"

Gets me every time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Louis also did a strong, thoughtful bit on the way we look at language and why he feels that it's ultimately okay for him to use the word. Context is everything when it comes to sensitive subjects.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

They announced more JFL42 acts.

http://jfl42.com/the42/

Still 10 more to announce! Hoping for more podcasts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Context is everything when it comes to sensitive subjects.

That's really it, isn't it? I think all words, subjects and terms are in play so long as they're used in the interest of advancing the joke or, like you said, establishing context. I think of Dave Barry's "oval office" bit where some lady told him to change the tone of his voice during his act.

Shock for shock's sake grows thin pretty quickly and you just wind up with Lisa Lampinelli saying "human being" and "friend of the family" for 90 minutes. It's OK at a roast but it's tough to build an act around it and it gets old fast.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think you meant Todd Barry, not Dave Barry, but that kind of makes it funnier.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

I think you meant Todd Barry, not Dave Barry, but that kind of makes it funnier.

My mind didn't get to Todd Barry so I was really loving confused. I'd love to read a 'Dave Barry on oval office' book. My Grandma might cry though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

That's really it, isn't it? I think all words, subjects and terms are in play so long as they're used in the interest of advancing the joke or, like you said, establishing context. I think of Dave Barry's "oval office" bit where some lady told him to change the tone of his voice during his act.

Shock for shock's sake grows thin pretty quickly and you just wind up with Lisa Lampinelli saying "human being" and "friend of the family" for 90 minutes. It's OK at a roast but it's tough to build an act around it and it gets old fast.

Exhibit A: Andrew Dice Clay. Went from headlining MSG to being nothing pretty quick.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

Yes, I meant Todd Barry, but I'll leave my post as "Dave" because that is funnier.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Exhibit A: Andrew Dice Clay. Went from headlining MSG to being nothing pretty quick.

I watched a Dice special when I was a kid that my Dad had taped off of HBO and told one of his nursery rhymes to my third grade class. It did not end well for me and I have hated him ever since. I'm shocked that he still shows up on podcasts and such. I figured he would have killed himself by now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I thought Dice died like...years ago...

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

This Thursday at the Medowlands in Hartford CT is Funny or Die's Oddball Comedy and Curiosity Festival. Headliners are Dave Chappelle and Flight of The Conchords. Also performing is Jeff Ross, Al Madrigal, Demetri Martin, Kristen Schaal, Hannibal Buress, and Brody Stevens.

I can't loving wait! :neckbeard:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

BigRed0427 posted:

This Thursday at the Medowlands in Hartford CT is Funny or Die's Oddball Comedy and Curiosity Festival. Headliners are Dave Chappelle and Flight of The Conchords. Also performing is Jeff Ross, Al Madrigal, Demetri Martin, Kristen Schaal, Hannibal Buress, and Brody Stevens.

I can't loving wait! :neckbeard:

I'm going to the Camden show next Saturday, and I'm excited as hell. I don't really know, so excuse my ignorance, but how does a comedy festival work? I've only ever been to regular stand up shows.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I thought Dice died like...years ago...

Nope. In Woody Allen's latest movie.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Has anyone listened to Braunohler's new album? I haven't heard much of his standup but he's definitely great on podcasts/radio...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
June Diane Raphael's Dice impression is so fuckin funny.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

urk the quack posted:

Has anyone listened to Braunohler's new album? I haven't heard much of his standup but he's definitely great on podcasts/radio...

I haven't heard his new album yet, even though I was at his album release party. But every time I have seen him do stand up he is great. So I would recommend just checking it out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I haven't heard his new album yet, even though I was at his album release party. But every time I have seen him do stand up he is great. So I would recommend just checking it out.

Oh snap, this post just made me remember I have a ticket to his Brooklyn show tonight. Thanks for making me not miss it!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Al! posted:

June Diane Raphael's Dice impression is so fuckin funny.

where can I hear this?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
You can watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoAQBqNS2w4

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That's amazing.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Walked past Tig Notaro on the street in Edinburgh a few days ago, which was a pretty big surprise since I had no idea she was even playing the Fringe. Then almost immediately saw a guy in an Improv4Humans T-shirt. One of my favourite recent stand-up experiences was Hannibal playing there last year in one of the smallest, hottest rooms I've ever been in, which had a fan going that he turned off halfway through because it was 'interrupting his flow'.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So it's a whole series reenacting interviews from The Arsenio Hall Show?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

So it's a whole series reenacting interviews from The Arsenio Hall Show?

Yeah, no. I didn't find that funny at all or even a really good Dice impression for that matter. And Dice is not hard to impersonate.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The funniest way to watch all of those is to watch the Arscheerio Paul to script one, then every time you think "There's no way that happened in the real interview", get the actual video up, find that bit and realise that it did and was nuts. But that is admittedly a lot of work for a dumb web series. The Adam Pally/Alison Brie as Rosie O'Donnell/Madonna one is very good anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, no. I didn't find that funny at all or even a really good Dice impression for that matter. And Dice is not hard to impersonate.

Oh, that's sad for you.