Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Shameless cross-post from the freep thread, but this cannot be ignored. :gop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drbqRHXBvTM

quote:

Jews, homosexuals, blacks, gays, Islamists, you may think they’re disparate groups, they’re not, they’re all tools. Because while we’re mad at these two punks, we’re mad at Trayvon Martin, that thug that deserves to be dead and I’m glad he’s dead. Pieces of crap, homosexuals like what’s that one guy’s name? [Dan] Savage. That human being. That horrible, awful, terrible excuse for a human being who is at the White House promoting attacks on Christians. I hope he dies — he probably will — of every disease known. By the way, I’m sending him a fire hydrant for his birthday, I’m hoping he’ll sit on it; he’ll slide all the way down to the ground. Sorry fire hydrant fans, I don’t mean to insult fire hydrants.

Awww, poor baby's throwing a racist, anti-gay, death threat ridden tantrum because the nation at large is turning against him and his band of Neanderthals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Kurtofan posted:

The artist is applying for asylum in France:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130829/putin-underwear-artist-seeks-asylum-france

"Yesterday I went to the prefecture in Paris... and made this request. I now need to go through the procedure and bring written confirmation of where I am staying," he said.

Hopefully his request is granted.

The French love artists, love satire (when not of themselves), and they love men in women's clothes - so I don't see why they wouldn't.

The French government unfortunately has been getting increasingly homophobic though.

Sad Banana
Sep 7, 2011

Spacedad posted:

The French love artists, love satire (when not of themselves), and they love men in women's clothes - so I don't see why they wouldn't.

The French government unfortunately has been getting increasingly homophobic though.
Do you mean the French government or the French opposition? Because Hollande's government pushed through marriage equality in France despite large and loud protests by bigots (strongly supported by the two major right wing opposition parties).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Spacedad posted:

You're a little confused, pal.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
The IRS is going to start recognizing same-sex marriages based on state of celebration, not state of residence. Hopefully SSA will follow.

quote:

Gay Marriages Get Recognition From the I.R.S.
By ANNIE LOWREY
WASHINGTON — All same-sex couples who are legally married will be recognized as such for federal tax purposes, even if the state where they live does not recognize their union, the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service said Thursday.

It is the broadest federal rule change to come out of the landmark Supreme Court decision in June that struck down the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, and a sign of how quickly the government is moving to treat gay couples in the same way that it does straight couples.

The June decision found that same-sex couples were entitled to federal benefits, but left open the question of how Washington would actually administer them. The Treasury Department answered some of those questions on Thursday. As of the 2013 tax year, same-sex spouses who are legally married will not be able to file federal tax returns as if either were single. Instead, they must file together as “married filing jointly” or individually as “married filing separately.”

Their address or the location of their wedding does not matter, as long as the marriage is legal: a same-sex couple who marry in Albany, N.Y., and move to Alabama are treated the same as a same-sex couple who marry and live in Massachusetts.

“Today’s ruling provides certainty and clear, coherent tax-filing guidance for all legally married same-sex couples nationwide,” Treasury Secretary Jacob J. Lew said. “This ruling also assures legally married same-sex couples that they can move freely throughout the country knowing that their federal filing status will not change.”

Gay and civil rights groups praised the ruling. “Committed and loving gay and lesbian married couples will now be treated equally under our nation’s federal tax laws, regardless of what state they call home,” said Chad Griffin, the president of the Human Rights Campaign. “These families finally have access to crucial tax benefits and protections previously denied to them under the discriminatory Defense of Marriage Act.”

But the Treasury decision could have ramifications for many gay couples’ tax liabilities, said Roberton Williams of the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center in Washington. Couples with similar incomes often pay the “marriage penalty,” with their tax liability as a couple being much higher than it would be if they were single.

At the same time, same-sex couples will also be able to file amended returns for certain prior tax years, meaning that many couples might be eligible for refunds. Couples do not have to file amended returns if they do not want to, a senior Treasury official said, meaning that couples who might pay the marriage penalty would not owe back taxes.

But the ruling creates complications for same-sex couples who live in any of the 37 states that do not recognize their marriages. Previously, such couples filed federal and state tax returns as individuals. Now, they will have to file their federal returns as other married couples do, but may be required to file their state returns as individuals.

“There’s going to be a cumbersome workaround,” said Nanette Lee Miller of Marcum L.L.P., a public accounting firm. She sees it as a paperwork bother more than a financial issue.

States might also respond to the federal ruling with changes of their own. “Most state income tax regimes begin with federal taxable income as the starting point,” Marvin Kirsner, a tax lawyer at Greenberg Traurig, said in an e-mail. “These state taxing authorities will have to figure out how to deal with a same-sex married couple who file a joint income tax return for federal tax purposes.” He added,

“We will need to see guidance from each nonrecognition state to see how this will be handled.”

The rule change is likely to provide a small increase for federal revenue, as more same-sex couples pay the marriage penalty, Mr. Williams said, describing it as a “rounding error.” But it would be partly offset by new federal spending on benefits for same-sex spouses.

The ruling applies to all legal marriages made in the United States or foreign countries. But it does not extend to civil unions, registered domestic partnerships or other legal relationships, the Treasury said.

The Treasury ruling is one of many that are starting to emerge from all corners of the federal government as Washington changes regulations to conform with the Supreme Court decision.

Separately, the Health and Human Services Department said Thursday that Medicare would extend certain key benefits to same-sex spouses, “clarifying that all beneficiaries in private Medicare plans have access to equal coverage when it comes to care in a nursing home where their spouse lives.”

But federal agencies are not moving in lock step. Instead, they are creating a patchwork of regulations affecting gay and lesbian couples — and may be raising questions about discrimination and fairness in the way that federal benefits are distributed.

Medicare and Treasury officials have said they would use a “place of celebration” standard for determining whether gay couples are eligible for benefits. That means same-sex couples would receive benefits as long as they are legally married, regardless of where they live.

But the Social Security Administration is now using a “place of residence” standard in determining spousal benefits, and a gay couple in Alabama might not receive the same benefits as a gay couple in New York until final determinations are made or Congress acts. The Obama administration has pushed federal agencies to ensure the Supreme Court’s ruling is carried out quickly and smoothly.

“It would be nice if they were consistent,” Ms. Miller said. Creating federal regulations is a process and could change, she said.

Tara Siegel Bernard contributed reporting from New York.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Hawaii seems to be slowing down. The Governor is not ready to call a special session. The votes still aren't there in the House. The only vocal opposition is a desire to erase existing laws so churches can discriminate against gay people when renting facilities.

The Democratic Party's State Center Committee voted 72-0 to call a special session, because it is the official policy of the party to claim they are for marriage equality while their legislators do nothing.
So Illinois all over again?

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts

Waiting for the inevitable mess that state family law courts in "non-recognizing" states will make out of same-sex spouses wanting to get divorce settlements concerning ERISA covered retirement plans.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
After last weekend, I've officially gone to more gay weddings than straight in my lifetime.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

After last weekend, I've officially gone to more gay weddings than straight in my lifetime.

It begins :unsmigghh:

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

It's a little bit harder for the SSA, because there is a specific statute that deals with choice of marital law for social security claims and it specifically calls for the law of the state of domicile. This isn't to say the SSA won't find a way around it, but it may take time and another lawsuit to get it sorted.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ruth Bader Ginsberg is going to officiate the same sex marriage of John Roberts and Michael Kaiser.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Not that John Roberts.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Teddybear posted:

Not that John Roberts.

The economist John Roberts. Why? Did you think I meant a different John Roberts :confused:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I totally thought you meant a different John Roberts.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Joementum posted:

The economist John Roberts. Why? Did you think I meant a different John Roberts :confused:

Presumably they thought you meant the Chief Justice himself. I thought that for a second, too, before I remembered he has a wife and adopted children.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

katium posted:

Presumably they thought you meant the Chief Justice himself. I thought that for a second, too, before I remembered he has a wife and adopted children.

Wouldn't be the first gay guy to come out after marrying a woman.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

CA couple won in US District Court over veterans' benefits laws being unconstitutional in light of Windsor.

Nothing really notable in the opinion. Title 38 failed under rational basis.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

katium posted:

In the Freep thread we've seen a lot of crazy conservatives say the Chief Justice is gay, his wife is a beard and that's why they adopted. Obama has pictures proving it and that's why Obama upheld health care reform. So I'm sure that a few really delusional people will catch a glimpse of the headline, not read any further, and be convinced that the Chief Justice has come out of the closet.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

hangedman1984 posted:

Wouldn't be the first gay guy to come out after marrying a woman.

Would be rather sudden to marry a dude without telling a single soul first though.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Scotland's same-sex marriage bill is going to be fast-tracked apparently. First evidence session is Thursday, and they hope to have the Queen grant royal assent by next March. It is expected to be legalized.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

First was the photography and now the cakes!

quote:

The Oregon bakery which sparked the ire of same-sex marriage advocates nationwide by refusing to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple has closed up shop.

As Willamette Week first reported, Sweet Cakes by Melissa closed its storefront on Saturday, Aug. 31, as the shop is not open for business on Sundays.

"This will be our last weekend at the shop we are moving our business to an in home bakery," an Aug. 30 entry on Sweet Cakes' Facebook page reads. "I will post our new number soon. Email will stay the same melissa@sweetcakesweb.com."

quote:

"We don't have anything against lesbians or homosexuals," she said in August. "It has to do with our morals and beliefs. It's so frustrating because we went through all of this in January, when it all came out."

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
What kind of internal disconnect do you have to simultaneously say that you don't have anything against gays or lesbians, and that you have a moral objection to providing them with a good or service for their wedding? No, really, you have something against them. That moral objection is the thing.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

What kind of internal disconnect do you have to simultaneously say that you don't have anything against gays or lesbians, and that you have a moral objection to providing them with a good or service for their wedding? No, really, you have something against them. That moral objection is the thing.

One common thread in comments for this story is people saying "Just make them a cake but make it real nasty and dry with awful flavors" it is like the photograpy story where they said "I would go and take awful pictures out of focus"

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Reminder that this bakery was happy to do cakes for an unwed mother, a pagan solstice party, and a divorce party.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

One common thread in comments for this story is people saying "Just make them a cake but make it real nasty and dry with awful flavors" it is like the photograpy story where they said "I would go and take awful pictures out of focus"

I..what? "Do it, and ruin it on purpose?" Do these geniuses know that's pretty much grounds for a refund at least, possibly credit card chargebacks, and potentially being sued? Or do they want businesses to go down in flames as martyrs for the "we should be allowed to keep bullying gays" cause?

:psyboom:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

She only found her principles after becoming radicalized by the right-wing propaganda arm. gently caress her and her 'now-justified' bigotry.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Expanding their customer base sure would increase their output, since the demand is there. They might even need to hire more help, though while still turning a nice profit. That'd make them... Hmm.

Employment generators?
Career instigators?

Gotta be a good term for this...

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It requires a lot of compartmentalized thinking, but the baker probably does believe this is religious freedom and not blatant anti-gay discrimination. People are weird. A Washington florist was fine with a gay couple up until their wedding.

The Texas National Guard is withholding spousal benefits for gay troops. They are probably being jerks, but the laws are crazy enough that it might be true that couples have to file paperwork at a federal building and that local office is bound by the Texas constitution.

A couple filed federal suit against the South Carolina marriage ban. Seems like there will be a 4th Circuit mega-hearing with the VA and NC suits at some point.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

platedlizard posted:

Reminder that this bakery was happy to do cakes for an unwed mother, a pagan solstice party, and a divorce party.

This needs to be reposted every time this story comes up.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Apparently, before the cake shop closed down, it was getting more customers a la Chick-fil-A.

The Columbian posted:

Klein said his stance has led to hate mail and online criticism, but also plenty of support. At the bakery this week, customer Teresa Nowlin said she made the 35-mile drive from Scappoose, Ore., to support the bakery. Another customer, Josephine Myron of Portland, also sided with the Kleins.

“Go buy a cake somewhere else,” Myron said. “Why come after these people?”

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Seems like there will be a 4th Circuit mega-hearing with the VA and NC suits at some point.

Come on VA you can do it!

(I don't have high hopes for here, or NC either. :smith: )

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Oh those poor bigots :qq:

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

platedlizard posted:

Oh those poor bigots :qq:

You have no idea about the plight of the Christian in today's society :(

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

platedlizard posted:

Do you have a source for this? The link I found to the article saying this is broken.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

For the first time over the next week, same sex military members will be allowed leave to travel to the US and get married in a state that allows gay marriage. This mostly applies to those serving overseas or on ships.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

The Macaroni posted:

Do you have a source for this? The link I found to the article saying this is broken.

A little quick google-fu:
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/religion/christianity/christian-bakeries-turn-down-gay-weddings-not-divorce-parties-pagan

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/...r-other-sinners

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

The Macaroni posted:

Willamette Week did it. Source

Willamette Week posted:

We wondered what other requests these cakemakers would decline to honor. So last week five WW reporters called these two bakeries anonymously to get price quotes for other occasions frowned upon by some Christians. Surprisingly, the people who answered the phone at each bakery were quite willing to provide baked goods for celebrations of divorces, unmarried parents, stem-cell research, non-kosher barbecues and pagan solstice parties.

We later contacted both bakeries to ask about these inconsistencies. Regentin declined to comment beyond asking whether she had been taped (she had not).

Sweet Cakes owners Melissa and Aaron Klein were upset that we “would even try to entrap a business” and contacted conservative talk-show host Lars Larson.

Baby Out of Wedlock

WW Asks - I’m shopping around for a nice baby shower cake for my friend. It’s her second baby with her boyfriend so I’m not looking for anything too big or fancy—probably enough to serve 15 to 20 people.

Sweet Cake says - “We have a sheet cake that will feed 30, or a 10-inch cake that would feed 30 people. The 10-inch cake is $50 and the sheet cake is $52. Or we have an 8-inch cake that would feed 15 for $40.”

Fleur says - Prices vary based on decoration and frosting, but a basic cake is $3 per serving.

Divorce Party

WW Asks - My friend is getting divorced and we’d like to throw her a little party to mark the start of her new life. Do you ever write messages on those—we’d want it to say “congratulations!”—and how much would it be for a cake that could serve about eight people?

Sweet Cake says - “A 10-inch is $29.99. That should probably do it....We can definitely do something like that.”

Fleur says - “The price for a 10-inch cheesecake is $36 and up. So it’ll be between $36 and $45, but you’re going to have to call in advance because my schedule for June and July is very busy.”

Stem-Cell Success

WW Asks - I was wondering if you could do two little cakes. My friend is a researcher at OHSU and she just got a grant for cloning human stem cells, so I thought I’d get her two identical cakes—basically, two little clone cakes. How much would they cost?

Sweet Cake says - “Ha. All right. When are you looking to do it? It’ll be $25.99 each, so about $50 to start.”

Fleur says - Did not pick up phone or return messages. Acknowledged receiving requests by email but refused to comment.

Non-Kosher Barbecue

WW Asks - I’m looking to get a special cake for a barbecue we’re having next week. Our cow just died of old age and we’re planning to grill some steaks along with lobster and pulled-pork sandwiches—what size would we need for 10 people and how much would it be?

Sweet Cake says - “A 6-inch cake serves about eight to 10 people at $25.99. The apple goes really good with pork, and the caramel will complement the lobster. For a barbecue, it’s all really good.”

Fleur says - Did not pick up phone or return messages. Acknowledged receiving requests by email but refused to comment.

Pagan Solstice Party

WW Asks - I was calling to get a quote on a cake for a midsummer solstice party. My coven is celebrating on Friday, June 21. The decoration would be very simple: just a green pentagram. We’d like to pick it up sometime that afternoon, before the bonfire. It’ll be for about 30 people.

Sweet Cake says - “For 30 poeople we have a couple options... We have two kind of cakes you could have. About the diagram you want on the cake, I’m not sure how much extra that would be.”

So it was two bakeries, but still.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Seems like Fleur might have figured it out after a while at least. Also I don't get what would be offensive about the dead cow one.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Chief Savage Man posted:

Seems like Fleur might have figured it out after a while at least. Also I don't get what would be offensive about the dead cow one.

An animal that dies of natural causes is not kosher. You have to slaughter it. Lobster and Pork are unclean animals. This is all explained in the Bible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Pfft, I never read that poo poo.

• Locked thread