Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Thauros posted:

Why were so many people seemingly desperate to jump to the WWF when they took the upper hand but before things became truly dire for WCW if WCW's contracts were so generous?

A lot of guys just loved wrestling and felt they were being held back in WCW. Jericho, the Radicalz, guys like that who had a lot of passion for the business.

Plus it's not like once you leave WCW for WWF, WCW would never have you back. If anything guys who left WCW for WWF and came back got a bigger push (like Jeff Jarrett and Golddust)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

You could make more money in the WWF if you wanted to work for it, with a few exceptions. Big Show got a way better deal from Vince, and Jericho knew there was more opportunity there too. However, if you are Bill Goldberg would you want to give up 3 million dollars per year for several years when you didn't have to do a thing for it? Let's say Vince offers him a million downside (and he probably wouldn't go that high.) What happens if you get injured and miss 9 months? You will lose out on millions. But if you were a midcard geek in WCW with some talent, you could make big bucks with Vince if he pushed you.

Are you saying Goldberg wasn't actually in exile?!?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

triplexpac posted:

A lot of guys just loved wrestling and felt they were being held back in WCW. Jericho, the Radicalz, guys like that who had a lot of passion for the business.
In the case of the Radicalz, they were afraid they'd be killed by legendary shooter and superstar, Mike Graham.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The argument from the WWE side to just take Goldberg on that high downside is that if the finish to that Invasion PPV is Goldberg running in and killing Austin to give WCW the real win with a WCW star at the top, how many buys is SummerSlam going to do with Austin vs. Goldberg on top? Probably enough to make the entire contract worth it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I remember Wrestling Society X doing something with Vampiro and a casket

It was X Pac vs Vampiro in a casket match for the title. The casket also exploded because wrestling society X

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
What was the origin of the 'x fears y' sign? I've seen it all over the place in various iterations over years and years but I've never been able to find out what the original one was

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Suleman posted:

I took a look, and I found out that there have been a few non-Taker-related casket matches in TNA. D-Lo Brown and Sonny Siaki had a casket match and Abyss has been in a few, against Sabu, Pope and at least Sting (though that was a "Last Rites" match where the coffin was called a "death bed" for some reason). Does anyone know of others?

There were casket matches long before Undertaker. I remember seeing one of a video in the 80's. It was, I think Dusty Rhodes vs Ivan Koloff. Though I distinctly remember it being called a "Coffin Match". And the coffin was in the ring.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Minidust posted:

Is it true that WWF considered making Crush the top face in 1992, before running with Bret Hart instead? I had heard this back then on a local wrestling radio show, but I have no idea if those claims have been substantiated over the years.

If it's true, then drat, they'd probably be out of business if they had gone with Crush. Without Bret as a main eventer you don't have the pivotal feud with Stone Cold. Not to mention, the main event feuds of Crush vs. Early '90s Heels would be dire.

I don't know if anyone on a booking team or anything ever really confirmed this, but it seems obvious in hindsight - he was a blond-haired, neon clothed powerhouse. He seems very much positioned to be a new Hogan/Warrior type character. On the other hand, feuds with Repo Man and Doink do not a main eventer make.

In any event, I don't think Bret would have been completely screwed if they had really tried to run with Crush. Bret outlasted Vince's other attempts at creating new Hogans around that time like Luger and Diesel. When Crush failed, Bret would have still been there.

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you watch WWE at that time (we were watching a Survivor Series from that time in cocotube the other day) it seems clear they were going to push him to the moon as a heel, and I guess they did since he had that program with Savage. It'd make sense that they'd look to turn him eventually if that had taken off and Bret/Owen didn't heat up as much as it did.

I think he meant before the turn. Crush showed up as a face in May of 92 and turned heel in the fall of 93. His feud with Savage was pretty good, but they never really followed through with anything after that. He had a sort-of feud with Luger that never went anywhere and never really did anything else until he came back as convict Crush.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
At the time they did the Flair to Bret switch, Crush was barely getting on television and was being tried out as the replacement for Hawk in the Legion of Doom, so I don't really buy any story that he was considered for the title. Maybe sometime in 1993 once he actually started getting pushed.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

the sex ghost posted:

What was the origin of the 'x fears y' sign? I've seen it all over the place in various iterations over years and years but I've never been able to find out what the original one was

The first time I remember them was the Monday Night Wars where it was WWF/WCW fears WCW/WWF.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

the sex ghost posted:

Pretty sure it started with "Sabu fears Taz" in ECW in like '96

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

the sex ghost posted:

I thought it was the "Bret fears El Dandy" joke, but I'm likely wrong.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

triplexpac posted:

He tombstoned X-Pac into an exploding casket in the first ever WSX title match. This being the promotion that gave us the Phirana Deathmatch, the Exploding Timebomb Cage Match, and the Tables, Ladders, and Cervezas match, I would assume that had they gotten a Season 2 they would have had a goofy casket match-alike at some point.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

triplexpac posted:

6-Pac v. Vampiro in an Exploding Casket Match. The match went to a pinfall, it was just Chekhov's exploding casket sitting at ringside.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Aurain posted:

:psyduck:
I've read this twice and still don't understand it.
I'm going to have to watch one to sate my morbid curiosity.

The ring is set up with two cages surrounding it. The cages are separated by enough space that there are tables that hold weapons between them. The object of the match is to escape both cages. You can escape the first cage by signaling the referee to open a door, but if you don't get through the door in 60 seconds, the door is closed again and locked. You can also climb over the top of the first cage, and have to climb over the top of the second.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Wrestling Society X was the greatest thing in the history of our sport, I own two copies of the compete DVDs and am super angry every day Justin Roberts has a big time announcer job and the Howard Finkel of our generation, Fabian Kaelin, does not.

The company started with a 12 man Rumble-Entry ladder match that featured Photoshop explosions. Also Matt Classic promos.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm the WSX World Champion.

You're all welcome to take a shot at me, but bear in mind it will be in a steel cage full of electrified piranhas.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Nick_326 posted:

I was reading Brandon Stroud's most recent Best/Worst of RAW article, and he bought up two clips of Jerry Lawler calling other wrestlers "fags".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99N62akUqM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aWKM-UZD3E

During the respective time periods of those clips, was Lawler a heel or a face?

The first one was (I BELIEVE) had Lawler as a face.

The general rule of thumb with Lawler videos says that if it was done in Memphis, he's PROBABLY a face; outside of Memphis, he's PROBABLY a heel.

And yeah, a face would say that in Memphis in 1978.

Also of note, the other blonde wrestler who was in the scene: The Honky Tonk Man.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Crush is such a weird case, as he really was over like hell during that initial Kona Crush squeezing yer head phase. Then Doink pretty much punked him at Wrestlemania, then Yokozuna punked him, then he was turned heel and basically punked by Savage.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

jeffersonlives posted:

At the time they did the Flair to Bret switch, Crush was barely getting on television and was being tried out as the replacement for Hawk in the Legion of Doom

Close. He was replacing Ax in Demolition, an LOD ripoff who got over on their own despite the very intentional gimmick infringement.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Close. He was replacing Ax in Demolition, an LOD ripoff who got over on their own despite the very intentional gimmick infringement.

No, I'm right. Demolition was disbanded in spring 1991. Crush was then taken off television for about a year and repackaged as Kona Crush in mid-1992 to work in the lower midcards with your typical Repo Man and Skinner types, but around the time of Bret Hart's title win, in September and October 1992, Crush was actually being tried out as Animal's new tag team partner in LOD because Hawk had left the company.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

jeffersonlives posted:

No, I'm right. Demolition was disbanded in spring 1991. Crush was then taken off television for about a year and repackaged as Kona Crush in mid-1992 to work in the lower midcards with your typical Repo Man and Skinner types, but around the time of Bret Hart's title win, in September and October 1992, Crush was actually being tried out as Animal's new tag team partner in LOD because Hawk had left the company.

Yeah, I remember a promo where all of a sudden, Paul Ellering introduced Animal to Crush as his new partner. I was confused and pissed at the time. I was looking it up, and I thought Hawk got fired for doing all of the drugs, but wikipedia is telling me he left because of the puppet thing. Because at the time, LOD had a ventrilloquist's dummy as a mascott. Because of course they did. Whoever thought that what the freaking Road Warriors really needed at that point in their careers was a freaking dummy must have been high on something, so drugs were involved in one way or another in getting Crush into LOD.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It seems the entirety of the Road Warriors' career in WWF/E has been Animal looking for Hawk's replacement. There was Crush, Droz, Heidenreich...I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Bad Wolf posted:

Yeah, I remember a promo where all of a sudden, Paul Ellering introduced Animal to Crush as his new partner. I was confused and pissed at the time. I was looking it up, and I thought Hawk got fired for doing all of the drugs, but wikipedia is telling me he left because of the puppet thing. Because at the time, LOD had a ventrilloquist's dummy as a mascott. Because of course they did. Whoever thought that what the freaking Road Warriors really needed at that point in their careers was a freaking dummy must have been high on something, so drugs were involved in one way or another in getting Crush into LOD.

Fortunately this is covered in great detail by OSW Review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivhCf3IUw30&t=1175s

Also, earlier in that particular match (maybe some 5 minutes before the timestamp) they talk about how Hawk was off his rear end on sedatives during his final match at Summerslam '92.

Booking was really a mess back then, geez.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Does WWE produce more television/wrestling today than at any other point in its history? Fuckers are producing like eight hours of TV a week, eight and a half once Saturday Morning Slam comes back, on top of three house show schedules, (RAW, Smackdown, and NXT), PPVs, Preshows, Total Divas, Vintage Collection, Youtube videos and all their DVD releases. That's more poo poo than some network TV stations, granted it's not all televised.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Does WWE produce more television/wrestling today than at any other point in its history? Fuckers are producing like eight hours of TV a week, eight and a half once Saturday Morning Slam comes back, on top of three house show schedules, (RAW, Smackdown, and NXT), PPVs, Preshows, Total Divas, Vintage Collection, Youtube videos and all their DVD releases. That's more poo poo than some network TV stations, granted it's not all televised.

I can't think of a time when they'd have done more. Closest I can figure is in the early 2000s, when they would have had Raw, Smackdown, Heat, Velocity, and a weekend morning recap show (the name escapes me right now). Jakked maybe? Oh and they also had WWF Confidential at that time too.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

triplexpac posted:

I can't think of a time when they'd have done more. Closest I can figure is in the early 2000s, when they would have had Raw, Smackdown, Heat, Velocity, and a weekend morning recap show (the name escapes me right now). Jakked maybe? Oh and they also had WWF Confidential at that time too.
Don't forget Excess. They had a show that was literally called "Excess."

EDIT: Regarding the current lineup, I know a lot of these are only for international markets but it's still pretty :psyduck::

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 5, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
God drat WWE just give us Legends' House before one of them does something incredibly racist and you're not able to air it!

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

triplexpac posted:

God drat WWE just give us Legends' House before one of them does something incredibly racist and you're not able to air it!

According to wikipedia it sounds like they filmed it all last year.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

jeffersonlives posted:

Well drat, I stand corrected. That's weird as hell. The only ones I remember were Droz and Heidenreich.

Speaking of which, anyone have that creepy gif where it zooms into LOD-Heidenreich's mouth?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Even when I was a kid I could tell Hawk was either drunk or high at Summerslam 92. He was about an 8/10 on the Jeff Hardy scale of being in no condition to compete.

I don't remember any vignettes with Crush meeting Animal and Ellering at all, but I doubt Crush was ever considered a potential World champion, especially in 1992. He had had no high profile feuds at that point, and was mainly relegated to opening matches.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

maxallen posted:

According to wikipedia it sounds like they filmed it all last year.

Oh I know, I'm just fully expecting Hacksaw Jim Duggan to get himself in big trouble cutting promos on foreigners or something and then WWE has to scrap the whole show they've already filmed cause they can't be associated with ol' racist Hacksaw.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So after asking you guys what to expect on my first day of wrestling training, I finally went for my first day on Tuesday and I still feel like death. First thing I noticed which I assume could only help me, was that at 6"1, I was the tallest guy there by a couple inches. The regulars were mostly vanilla midgets, although some were definitely very talented, but from what I saw I was actually most impressed with the girls. One of them consistently threw flying head scissors better than any diva I've seen in recent years. I feel like I caught on to everything pretty quickly, and getting paired up with the only other newbie with previous combat sport experience certainly helped. We actually did a ton more than you guys told me we would though. We started off with your basic lock-up, then moved on to transitioning from there to different holds like hammerlocks, inside/outside top wristlocks, keylocks, etc.. then transition them to each other, back to side headlocks, and repeat ad naseum. Finally we moved on to bumping, which apparently I did perfectly the first time and that was pretty cool, but I can't land the flip bump right just yet. I'm a big guy, so I don't get enough air and I'm landing on the base of my spine instead of my back which I should probably perfect soon if I don't want to be paralyzed. Anyways, we went three hours straight with no breaks, and I didn't want to quit. It's addicting. Unfortunately, my first day I was still battling a chest cold and wasn't 100%, so when I woke up yesterday, I caughed up some lung butter (natural for me as I smoke weed and haven't exerted myself so hard in a while), but the littlest bit of blood was in it, which was alarming. That can happen with bronchitis, so I'm hoping it's just a symptom of a bad chest cold combined with overexerting myself. At any rate, I backed out last minute of yesterday's class to make sure it didn't persist and I could be 100% for next class and now I'm just itching for Saturday.

To anyone that's ever contemplated it, go do it if you don't mind coming out battered. My elbows are torn and scabby from bumping so many times, I got a bloody lip from someone accidentally headbutting me, my collarbone is black and blue from being hit so many times locking up and my right shoulder feels like it can't move because of being put in so many different holds. But man, it's a lot of fun.

fake edit: Squared Circle Wrestling Training in Toronto is awesome and everyone from the trainers, to the regulars to the newbies are really nice, encouraging and helpful. Definitely a better experience than I expected with all the stigma that wrestling training has.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

I don't understand why they needed convincing of this. They had already put several unconventional-looking wrestlers into main events. Yokozuna was WWE champion. King Mabel feuded with Diesel and broke Undertaker's face. Bob Backlund held the belt forever and later feuded with Bret Hart. Littler guys like Benoit and Guerrero were in main events for a long time. Rey has had (terrible) championship reigns and main event feuds. Mick Foley looks like poo poo and he's a huge star.

Even Austin himself didn't really have the underwear model or HGH physique.

Also I still really like your username.

Fat wrestlers aren't unconventional at all lol what are you talking about. Austin and Bob Backlund were both ~ 6'1" 240lbs. Eddie and Benoit each only one world title reign lasting less than five months. Rey as you mentioned was booked like a joke even when he was champ.

I guess there's Angle and Jericho, but the former's a gold medalist and the latter's usually jobbing in the upper-midcard.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Paulocaust posted:

My elbows are torn and scabby from bumping so many times, I got a bloody lip from someone accidentally headbutting me, my collarbone is black and blue from being hit so many times locking up and my right shoulder feels like it can't move because of being put in so many different holds. But man, it's a lot of fun.

God drat, don't land on your elbows. You're supposed to keep your upper arm in line with your shoulder so your elbows don't absorb all the impact. That's what I learned in my one day at wrestling training. :haw:

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zack_Gochuck posted:

God drat, don't land on your elbows. You're supposed to keep your upper arm in line with your shoulder so your elbows don't absorb all the impact. That's what I learned in my one day at wrestling training. :haw:

I think I was landing properly, the trainers told me as much and I was landing with my hands flat and all, it was just my skin scraping across the canvas I think. I'll make sure to keep that in mind though!

e: like the scabs aren't on my actual elbow, they're on my forearm about an inch and a half above the elbow, so I assume I'm not landing directly on them. Again, there's a mirror facing the rings, so I'll make sure to watch my form when landing.

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 5, 2013

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Was it well known that Yokozuna was going to win the 1993 Rumble? He was a fairly new character at the time, and I didn't see it coming. He didn't have any previous feuds, and hadn't beaten any big names at that point.

Also, how well known was it that Shawn Michaels was going to win the 1995 Rumble? Everyone seems to act like it was common knowledge because Diesel was the World Champ, but I always thought that Bret would beat Diesel at the Rumble and defend against Luger at Wrestlemania 11. HBK just didn't seem like he was at the world title level at the time.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Was it well known that Yokozuna was going to win the 1993 Rumble? He was a fairly new character at the time, and I didn't see it coming. He didn't have any previous feuds, and hadn't beaten any big names at that point.

Yes, he was working house show loops squashing upper-mid and even higher faces at that point. Hart/Yokozuna had been the booked main event direction for spring 1993/Mania since basically a few weeks after Yokozuna came in in fall 1992.

Bringing in a monster heel menace and booking him as an unstoppable monster while nearly immediately shooting him to the top used to be a favorite - and extremely successful - Vince trope, and really belies a lot of what WWE pushes about how guys have to make themselves stars and spend years on the undercard building up cred or whatnot.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Also, how well known was it that Shawn Michaels was going to win the 1995 Rumble? Everyone seems to act like it was common knowledge because Diesel was the World Champ, but I always thought that Bret would beat Diesel at the Rumble and defend against Luger at Wrestlemania 11. HBK just didn't seem like he was at the world title level at the time.

Extremely; that was not just the planned direction but the only obvious direction since the Diesel push started.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Related to that, I think one of WWE's problems is that they have a bunch of guys whose threat to the rest of the roster amounts to "Well, he's a big monster."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Related to that, I think one of WWE's problems is that they have a bunch of guys whose threat to the rest of the roster amounts to "Well, he's a big monster."

The last guy they really booked like that at a high level was Umaga, and that pretty much worked. Trying to push guys like monsters when they do jobs on 9 straight PPVs or whatever Ryback was up to doesn't work, at all.