Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

jeffersonlives posted:

Yes, he was working house show loops squashing upper-mid and even higher faces at that point. Hart/Yokozuna had been the booked main event direction for spring 1993/Mania since basically a few weeks after Yokozuna came in in fall 1992.

Bringing in a monster heel menace and booking him as an unstoppable monster while nearly immediately shooting him to the top used to be a favorite - and extremely successful - Vince trope, and really belies a lot of what WWE pushes about how guys have to make themselves stars and spend years on the undercard building up cred or whatnot.

Extremely; that was not just the planned direction but the only obvious direction since the Diesel push started.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know Yoko was receiving that big of a push then. The only person I remmeber him squashing at that point was Virgil.

For the HBK one, I honestly didn't think Diesel was going to beat Bret at the Rumble, and I figured the teased Bret/Luger match from WMX would happen at WM11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Thanks for the info. I didn't know Yoko was receiving that big of a push then. The only person I remmeber him squashing at that point was Virgil.

We're still in the "old" way here where those programs were being done at the houses and then the same match would be done on television after the house show matches were dried up, so some of the higher babyface squashes didn't show up on television until after the Rumble. But even before the Rumble Yokozuna had a few month run squashing guys like Bossman, Earthquake, Jim Duggan, and even Savage at the houses, which was a pretty big deal since the former three were fairly well protected and Savage was coming off being pushed as a top two face for a year.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jeffersonlives posted:

The last guy they really booked like that at a high level was Umaga, and that pretty much worked. Trying to push guys like monsters when they do jobs on 9 straight PPVs or whatever Ryback was up to doesn't work, at all.

It was 8 PPVs without a win (his first title match with Cena was a draw), book-ended by wins over Hawkins and Reks in a handicap tag and Jericho, but four of those were WWE Championship matches against Punk and/or Cena (one of which he got screwed in), the Rumble (which really shouldn't count), a WrestleMania match, and two six-man tags against the Shield during their megapush, where he was taking the losses beside Cena/Bryan/etc.. Umaga's PPV history during his initial push consisted of a win over Eugene, a draw with Kane, a win over Kane, a loss in a Survivor Series match, two losses to Cena for the title, a loss to Lashley at Mania, a win as part of a three man team in a handicap match, a loss in the rematch, and then a DQ loss to Santino before moving into the IC title picture. They were booked pretty similarly, and I would argue Ryback was actually made out to be more of a threat. The difference between Ryback and Umaga is that Umaga was a good worker and very agile for his size. Ryback is neither of those things and dangerously botches quite often.

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 5, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Paulocaust posted:

Umaga's PPV history during his initial push consisted of a win over Eugene, a draw with Kane, a win over Kane, a loss in a Survivor Series match, two losses to Cena for the title, a loss to Lashley at Mania, a win as part of a three man team in a handicap match, a loss in the rematch, and then a DQ loss to Santino before moving into the IC title picture.

Except nearly all of that isn't in Umaga's "initial push" at all, his initial push was beating and often squashing name guys on television for like nine months, and the cashout matches were the Cena and Lashley programs. Ryback went straight from squashing job guys (his last "program" before Punk was with Jinder Mahal) to losing on PPV (a lot).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Even when I was a kid I could tell Hawk was either drunk or high at Summerslam 92. He was about an 8/10 on the Jeff Hardy scale of being in no condition to compete.

I don't remember any vignettes with Crush meeting Animal and Ellering at all, but I doubt Crush was ever considered a potential World champion, especially in 1992. He had had no high profile feuds at that point, and was mainly relegated to opening matches.

Crush had the stereotype look and size to be WWF champion in a post-Hogan era, even with the steroid scandal stuff, but for whatever reason it didn't end up going his way. Probably because of the aforementioned steroid stuff.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

jeffersonlives posted:

At the time they did the Flair to Bret switch, Crush was barely getting on television and was being tried out as the replacement for Hawk in the Legion of Doom, so I don't really buy any story that he was considered for the title. Maybe sometime in 1993 once he actually started getting pushed.

That's pretty interesting, I'd always thought Crush was just a fill-in when Hawk ducked out after SummerSlam 1992.

Then again, I'm surprised Animal didn't hold some sort of grudge against Hawk for him leaving. Everything seemed fine between them from what I've read and seen from their Japan stint. The WWF seemed okay with taking them back a few years later, but maybe that was out of desperation.

On a side note: The Hell-Raisers looked cool. Too bad they and/or the original Road Warriors and TenKoji couldn't feud with each other in their primes.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Umaga was absolutely presented as a bigger threat than the Ryback, in part because he was a heel and in part because he beat higher-profile guys before he got to the WWE title picture. There was a span of a month where he pinned Cena, HBK, and HHH. The Ryback didn't really beat anyone high-profile, he just kind of moved into the main event when they needed him to.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I had no idea Brian Adams was almost put into LOD in addition to being a third guy/replacement in Demolition.

Why was Ax supplemented and eventually replaced with Crush in the first place anyway? I've heard rumors of various health issues, which seems odd considering that 20 years later Crush is dead and Ax still wrestles in the same old gimmick occasionally.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 5, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Red posted:

Then again, I'm surprised Animal didn't hold some sort of grudge against Hawk for him leaving. Everything seemed fine between them from what I've read and seen from their Japan stint.

This is totally me speculating, but even if Animal was pissed he probably knew that him and Hawk together were worth WAY more than either of them separately could be.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Red posted:

That's pretty interesting, I'd always thought Crush was just a fill-in when Hawk ducked out after SummerSlam 1992.

No, he was actually wearing the getup for a couple weeks. They were considering Crush and Animal's non-Johnny Ace brother for a longterm position in a new LOD team, but then Animal decided to cash out on his Lloyd's policy instead.

Thauros posted:

Why was Ax supplemented and eventually replaced with Crush in the first place anyway? I've heard rumors of various health issues, which seems odd considering that 20 years later Crush is dead and Ax still wrestles in the same old gimmick occasionally.

Bill Eadie had heart problems that were ultimately corrected.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Man. Thinking that over - Adams was:

- Demolition Crush, Junior S&M Fan
- Crush, third Legion of Doom member
- Crush, the nice guy who liked to Crush stuff and wear purple and yellow
- Kona Crush, Evil Foreigner from Hawaii??
- Jailbird Crush, still on probation, sponsored by Clarence Mason
- Nation of Domination Crush, hates whitey and Ahmed Johnson
- Crush, leader of Biker Gang Sons of Disciples of Apocalypse
- Brian Adams, nWo member (along with VK Wallstreet, Vincent, and Stevie Ray!)
- The Demon, trademarked by KISS, for like a week
- Brian Adams, half of KroniK

And that's not counting his indies gimmick(s), boxing, bodyguarding, or acting.

He's had almost as many chances as Beefcake, and he's not even friends with Hogan.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

jeffersonlives posted:

We're still in the "old" way here where those programs were being done at the houses and then the same match would be done on television after the house show matches were dried up...

This is one of the most interesting things, I think. In this day and age, with 12 PPVs a year, it seems almost unfathomable that you could have fairly big feuds that never made it to a match on TV or PPV. But that happened regularly back in the day.

I'll always remember this one. Even with the lovely audio, you can tell there's a ton of heat in that arena - people are calling for IRS' blood. They never made it to a PPV, but I saw them in a steel cage match in my hometown. Hogan/Flair is probably a good example too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

He's had almost as many chances as Beefcake, and he's not even friends with Hogan.

He was friends with Savage. I imagine that could get you as many chances.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Red posted:

I think the most interesting part about guys like Beefcake and Crush is that, for the most part (Beefcake's short-lived Furface and Adams as the original Demon), both of these guys never were someone "different." It's not acknowledged that Kane was Fake Diesel/Isaac Yankem/Christmas Creature/Unabomb. Even Crush, motorcycle-loving DOA leader, was the same guy as the third member of Demolition.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
One of my new favorite wrestlers after the year he's having is Katsuyori Shibata. What are some of his best matches to check out pre-2013?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Red posted:

"Kona Crush" was hilarious, because he had been wrestling with his singles face character for a while, and then just started talking with a think Hawaiian accent one day. It was like he pulled a reverse-Kofi. Best thing to come out of this was his indignant "My gran-faddah was a clown!" during the feud with Doink.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 5, 2013

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I was a huge Crush mark in 1992, not even really sure why. Maybe it was his heavy guitar theme (which I believe was just Sid Justice's theme re-worked), or maybe it was his finisher. I remember hearing Cesaro on the Art of Wrestling talking about how into Crush he was, and how he would draw the Crush logo on his notebooks. (He also tells a story of after the "slam heard round the world" when Lex slammed Yoko, he and his friends would stay up making international calls, asking operators if they heard the slam.)

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 5, 2013

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

thatguyclint posted:

I think the most interesting part about guys like Beefcake and Crush is that, for the most part (Beefcake's short-lived Furface and Adams as the original Demon), both of these guys never were someone "different." It's not acknowledged that Kane was Fake Diesel/Isaac Yankem/Christmas Creature/Unabomb. Even Crush, motorcycle-loving DOA leader, was the same guy as the third member of Demolition.

Was The Zodiac acknowledged as being Brutus while he was actually using that gimmick? I obviously knew it was him, and I know that they said it was him when he turned face again, but I didn't think we were supposed to know it was him at the time. I didn't watch WCW full-time back then though, so I might have been misunderstanding it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Diabolik900 posted:

Was The Zodiac acknowledged as being Brutus while he was actually using that gimmick?

Yes and no. :v:

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Has there ever been a woman wrestler who could legitimately be compared to CM Punk in terms of mic ability? I've been thinking about the couple dozen or so Diva vignettes and promos I've seen since I got into wrestling, and it occurred to me that there haven't really been many women in the WWE who ever really got great on the mic. I remember Ivory being pretty good, Trish being the best of a narrow field, and now AJ Lee, but not really anybody else. Is there any woman wrestler in any promotion who people could reasonably call the best?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember when Sullivan first brought out Zodiac, he vaguely hinted at it with stuff like "We will destroy Hogan with Hogan's best friend!" or somesuch.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It took me a LONG time before I realized that the Disciple was Brutus Beefcake. A LONG TIME.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Castomira posted:

Has there ever been a woman wrestler who could legitimately be compared to CM Punk in terms of mic ability?

Sherri Martel.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Castomira posted:

Has there ever been a woman wrestler who could legitimately be compared to CM Punk in terms of mic ability? I've been thinking about the couple dozen or so Diva vignettes and promos I've seen since I got into wrestling, and it occurred to me that there haven't really been many women in the WWE who ever really got great on the mic. I remember Ivory being pretty good, Trish being the best of a narrow field, and now AJ Lee, but not really anybody else. Is there any woman wrestler in any promotion who people could reasonably call the best?

Vicki Guerrero

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Supreme Allah posted:

Vicki Guerrero

Vicki rules a lot. She's really good but I don't think she's even close

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Supreme Allah posted:

Vicki Guerrero

As good as she is, I'm trying not to compare wrestlers to managers with this question.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Vickie is godawful on the mic. She's a fun heel character but she is horrific at cutting promos.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I'll take your word for it, I don't really listen to what she says, I just get consistently amazed by the heat she pulls.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
How much physical training do managers generally get, compared to wrestlers? They're not doing a lot of fighting but it's still taken as a given that you'll eventually be thrown out of the ring or bodyslammed or otherwise taking bumps.

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that
I just started checking out wrestling podcasts, and I can't help noticing Art of Wrestling's archives on welovecolt and on itunes only go as far back as episode 21. Is there someplace I can listen to the first 20 or did something happen there? (Probably not a :filez: issue since it's free anyway)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Cromulent posted:

I was a huge Crush mark in 1992, not even really sure why. Maybe it was his heavy guitar theme (which I believe was just Sid Justice's theme re-worked), or maybe it was his finisher. I remember hearing Cesaro on the Art of Wrestling talking about how into Crush he was, and how he would draw the Crush logo on his notebooks. (He also tells a story of after the "slam heard round the world" when Lex slammed Yoko, he and his friends would stay up making international calls, asking operators if they heard the slam.)

Watching wrestling as a kid, at least as someone whose friends didn't watch wrestling, I never was able to watch it consistently. I was limited to watching whatever show was on Saturday, playing video games, as well as renting the rare PPV at the video store. I didn't realize anything about Raw, nor would I have been allowed to watch it even if I did (one TV in the house). So, I became marks for guys for reasons that were not related to their actual performance in the ring, but because of their look. Crush was one of these guys, as was Hakushi. I only started to like Hart because I found out that he was from Canada. Also, because of King of the Ring 1995, I thought Savio Vega was a bigger star than he ever was.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

How much physical training do managers generally get, compared to wrestlers? They're not doing a lot of fighting but it's still taken as a given that you'll eventually be thrown out of the ring or bodyslammed or otherwise taking bumps.

Generally managers were always fully trained wrestlers who had more ability talking than working, whether they had become too old or they were never good at it in the first place. I'm talking about the oldschool manager role of kayfabe handling matchmaking and contracts as well as doing the talking for their clients.

I'm pretty sure the handful of people who want to come up as managers still go through the same stuff.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

I just started checking out wrestling podcasts, and I can't help noticing Art of Wrestling's archives on welovecolt and on itunes only go as far back as episode 21. Is there someplace I can listen to the first 20 or did something happen there? (Probably not a :filez: issue since it's free anyway)
First 20 are now :10bux: on http://www.digitalcolt.com/

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

What happened to the 2011 Money in the Bank thread? I can't find it in the archives.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

birdlaw posted:

What happened to the 2011 Money in the Bank thread? I can't find it in the archives.

Archive threads are listed by time of last post, and the 2011 MitB thread was bumped a few months after. Not sure exactly when though.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Sir Jebus posted:

Archive threads are listed by time of last post, and the 2011 MitB thread was bumped a few months after. Not sure exactly when though.

Found it in October, thanks!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Thanks for bringing that thread up. Enclosed, I found this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425528&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24#post393656865

Banjo posted:

If Daniel Bryan becomes WWE Champion I will never post again
Was that a :toxx:?

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

I hope not, I like banjo :shobon:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Speaking of MITB 2011, I was watching random WWE Daniel Bryan clips and wow has he changed a lot since the time he debuted.

Compare DB's transformation from NXT to today and a guy like Kofi Kingston, who hasn't changed one bit in what feels like 10 years.

Of course I'm sure it's not all Kofi's fault, if he had been given MITB and a World Title Reign I'm sure they'd do something different with his character too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Do Alberto Del Rio and Sin Cara have heat with each other stemming back to Mexico? If so, are there any details on why?