Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

C boo romance, yay adventure! (Plus goons always go for the first available love interest, that's boring as hell. Like there won't be any interesting people when we're exploring the world?)

C Ishamal. Let's see what the old man says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
C/C (Ishmael)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. A
2. D - We won't tell him. Not out of fear for life and limb, we just don't see a need to.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Tsyni posted:

1) A
2) C - ask Ishamal. I was going to say try and be vague and hypothetical, but he'd see through it.

Since we're taking it slow I think we have time to tell Tudiya.

Voting ditto.

Also ask Ishamal if he knows anything about magic items.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Sogol posted:

E. We are unusual. We are not socialized as a Zepathan, nor are we Atharian. We can see things others don't, even at a young age. We don't allow this to continue, not because we are afraid for ourselves, but because it could be very bad for Naomi and we know that, just like when we know one of Danal's plans needs to be 'adjusted'. This is consistent with our behavior over all.

D We don't need to talk with anyone. We are not ashamed and also do not need to hide anything. Tudiya will know what he knows. It is not complicated for us the way it seems to be for the Zepathans. (We don't have all those wierd hang-ups they seem to have about nudity and sex, but we understand they have them.)

This seems pretty good, so I'm voting this. That said, I do have one caveat - this might be how we reason things out, but I'm going to vote that Enkindel still goes a bit stupid in person and might not act as reasoned earlier.

Edit: After some consideration I would also like to add a write-in vote for consulting Naomi or at least letting her know what we've decided and why on top of anything else - just seems logical to get her input.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 6, 2013

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LLSix posted:

1. Plan Sogol This is perfect, and I agree that it seems entirely in line with having worked to adjust Danal's attitudes. Also, if we get involved with Naomi there's a chance we'll end up tied to the city and be unable to go exploring. A vote for Plan Sogol is a vote to have cool adventurers instead of being a dad.

2. Ishamal He seems to fill a similar role of helping to dissuade the king of foolishness and should be able to provide some excellent advice on how to let Naomi down gently. I want to go with B too; our best bud Tudiya deserves to hear from us about the situation and how we resolved it.

This is very much in line with what I was going to say so yeah... lets go with this.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
1. How do feel about Naomi?
A. I want our relationship to grow, but slowly. I will keep spending time with her and hope things
2. Do you intend to tell Tudiya about what just happened?
C. I want to talk to another person in my life for guidance. Who?
"Naomi, what do you think we should do?" This matter concerns her as well as us, so she should have some input.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Uberwill posted:

1. C
2. C/3
- Talk to the old guy who is always telling stories (Ishmael?). He will know what to do and, just as importantly, probably won't drop a dime on us to the nobility.

Yeah, I'll vote for this.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. A
2. A

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

C with a hint of D - We've spent a lot of time around our king and we've learnt that he does not take things lightly, plus she's Danal's sister, this is just weird. On top of that, Danal could be upset. We may have control over him but in the end he pretty much owns us, and if he wanted he could make our lives hell, even more so than his father.

C - Ishamal, dude is old and seems pretty steady, he'll know what to do.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 6, 2013

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1C. Tudiya told us we might be a slave, which has its impact on our social standing. Even if we are free, the daughter of a king is something that should be off limits to us.

Ask self: Tudiya has many daughters of various ages. Are any of them married to free men of simple means? Are any of them married to (former) slaves?

2C. Ask Naomi and Ishamal on how to proceed.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
A and C, Ishamal

Absum
May 28, 2013

A and C, ask Naomi and Ishamal.

I like the idea of asking Naomi as well. This concerns her as well and communication is important.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Absum posted:

A and C, ask Naomi and Ishamal.

I like the idea of asking Naomi as well. This concerns her as well and communication is important.

Yeah I'm down with this. We're young, we have our first crush, and although we don't see anything wrong with it...we still want to make sure we don't accidentally cause big trouble.

By the way, what is the average age of marriage around here? And is Zepath a society built on arranged marriages, love matches, or both?

EDIT: vvvvv Ah thanks, I forgot about those tidbits. Yeah, continuing any kind of relationship with Naomi is probably dumb as poo poo if we're potentially getting in the way of an arranged match and Tudiya's wrath etc; but we're teenagers and being dumb as poo poo is kind of our job, so I'll stick with A for now.

I imagine what Ishmael and/or Naomi have to say next turn will pretty well decide whether we need to drop this thing like a hot potato or not. I'm guessing the answer to that question will be 'yes,' but we shall see.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 6, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

FoxTerrier posted:

Yeah I'm down with this. We're young, we have our first crush, and although we don't see anything wrong with it...we still want to make sure we don't accidentally cause big trouble.

By the way, what is the average age of marriage around here? And is Zepath a society built on arranged marriages, love matches, or both?

Diogines posted:

In the village, there were no sexual taboos beyond incest and couplings outside of marriage sometimes occurred, generally without issue. Underage couplings were good old fashioned fun and preparation for marriage. Women went topless, including Jalitha. Men and women generally picked their spouses in your village. They may have been cannibals and systematically killed the sick, weak and elderly, but they knew how to have a good time.

Here, underage couplings are a serious crime among the elite and strategically ignored among everyone else. Most marriages are arranged.

By engaging in any covert physical activity with Naomi you will have grievously wronged her father, if caught. Her eight-and-a-half-foot-tall-lightning-eating-king-dragon-slayer-who-owns-you father.

Not sure about the average age exactly, but we're under the right age apparently.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
1) E - Plan Sogol Pursuing this any further is just going to end in heartbreak for all involved. Will not end well for either Enkidel or Naomi, and how we've made our choices so far, our hero would know that. We're Danal's BFF, we're buddying up to Tudiya nicely- let's not go and anger them both by trying to make it with their sister/daughter. Nip it in the bud!

Also agreeing with the person who noted we want to be adventurers - we literally have sandals made for walking, want to go see the world, and we're trying to play house with the first dame who shows interest. Let's not pick the first love interest. Let's go find an adventurer with wanderlust like ourselves.

2) A Keep your darn mouth shut!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

FoxTerrier posted:

Marriages around 16 or 17 are common.

Going to start on the next update.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 6, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Yay!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

During the walk back to your home, your head swims, with the wonder of what just happened and with a number of concerns of the various horrible things that Tudiya will do to you if you are caught. Still, you have... feelings for Naomi and hope that the two of you will grow closer.

The next day, you find Ishamal in one of the many taverns in which he frequently spends his days, drinking heavily and singing a song of the battles of the hero Kubarfi, slayer of the Minotaur King.

You catch Ishamal's eye and lure him away from his drinking companions, to a quiet corner of the tavern, a piper continues to play a merry tune and Ishala's s companion continue to swing their mugs and sing without him.

Ishamal sips from a mug of beer, your heart races as you tell him what occurred and of your feelings for Naomi, at which point, he snorts beer out of his nose, throws back his head and laughs, he wipes a tear from one of his eyes and says "Ah... the foolishness of youth. Child, if Tudiya were to learn of this... you know this must never happen again, surely? Do you wish to let her down, or shall I?"

You tell Ishamal....

A. You want him to talk to Naomi, but really, you will continue to try to have a relationship with her.
B. You will talk to Naomi, but you lie to Ishamal, you will continue to try to have a relationship with her.
C. You want him to talk to Naomi, but really, you will continue NOT to try to have a relationship with her.
D. You will talk to Naomi, you will NOT continue to try to have a relationship with her.
E. You tell Ishamal you have feelings for Naomi and you will continue to try to have a relationship with her.
F. You tell Ishamal you have feelings for Naomi and you will continue to try to have a relationship with her AND ask for his help to not get caught.
G. You tell Ishamal you have feelings for Naomi and ask how you can be together, without angering Tudiya. You know that because you have a low social standing, Tudiya will never approve, but you ask for Ishamal's help, regardless.
H. [Removed] - see below. Ask Ishamal how you might improve your social standing to be acceptable as a match for Naomi.
I. You tell Ishamal something else. Fill in.

You know that in Zepath, there are not supposed to be casual relationships between unmarried persons of opposite genders. The only acceptable relationship would be a friend, or spouse, there is no in between for a woman of her social rank. The poor may fool around, the daughters of kings do not.

If you want to ask Ishamal anything related in any way to your current concern, ask away, I will answer questions as I see them and as I have time.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 6, 2013

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
D and H

Let's go talk to Naomi; explain that the heart wants what the heart wants, but Enkidel would rather keep his head and have his heart broken, than keep his heart and have his head broken.

Before we go talk to her, might as well find out from Ishamal: hypothetically if one wanted to increase their social standing, how might one go about that? You covered H in your follow-up, so just D now I suppose.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 6, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

H

But honestly, I'm with the people saying a bit of romance is nice and all, but we have bigger goals in life.

edit: Vote changed below.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 6, 2013

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

H

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Someone who laughs at us, and doesn't care about us has forfeited their right to hear the truth. Thus this is not a lie, but a withholding of what they don't deserve to hear.

B. You will talk to Naomi, but you lie to Ishamal, you will continue to try to have a relationship with her.

This is basically B+H.
Also ask this in just this way: "My main concern is not my relationship with Naomi or any woman, but my in improving my social standing. If you laugh at me, it is surely because of this. There may be little one such as I can do, but I am not one such as I, I am the only one who is me. How do I improve my social standing?"

Edit: Ask...

Why do you sometimes disappear for a week more without warning?
How did you become the trusted fill-in for Tudiya's duties as king?
Who was the king of Zepath and who was the king's fill-in before Tudiya and you?
From who or where do you find your standard in moral and lawful code? Is it preserved in anyway?
How does one test to see their concentration of Labaras' blood?

OhYo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 6, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

SerSpook posted:

But honestly, I'm with the people saying a bit of romance is nice and all, but we have bigger goals in life.

"The king is less concerned for Naomi's marriage than others" he says "she is the youngest, he has a son and many others in his line... but still, you are not a match he would consider. Even if you could afford the bride price, which you could not... you are not of the line of Labaras, nor are you a rich merchant, hero or famed monster slayer. Unless you were one of these things... he would never consider it at all. I do not think you could."

Diogines fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 8, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diogines posted:

"The king is less concerned for Naomi's marriage than others" he says "she is the youngest, he has a son and many others in his line... but still, you are a match he would consider. Even if you could afford the bride price, which you could not... you are not of the line of Labaras, nor are you a rich merchant, hero or famed monster slayer. Unless you were one of these things... he would never consider it at all. I do not think you could."

Let us use this heartache to prove our worth, in the slaying of the demon Asharak.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

OhYo posted:

Why do you sometimes disappear for a week more without warning?
"That is not your concern, Child."

OhYo posted:

How did you become the trusted fill-in for Tudiya's duties as king?
Who was the king of Zepath and who was the king's fill-in before Tudiya and you?
"I knew his father and his father, before him."

OhYo posted:

From who or where do you find your standard in moral and lawful code? Is it preserved in anyway?
"A man should look into his own heart. A child should do as he is told, as his heart will be torn out if he is caught, no matter how well intentioned."

OhYo posted:

How does one test to see their concentration of Labaras' blood?
"There is no test. A Mighty Man would simply know."

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
D it's not worth being pounded into a fine red mist.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

D, let's be honest, the whole thing was a touch of teen stupidity and while there's something said for romance there's also something said for maturing a bit before entering into a relationship that is practically guaranteed to end up with you pissing off Superman.

At the same time, though, it should be us that breaks the news. We need to be a man and own up to our choices! Even if those choices are declaring that the last choice we made was really dumb and we'd like to call a halt to it, please.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
There is no option for talk to Naomi, tell Ishamal the truth, break off the smooching with Naomi is there? I think maybe D is supposed to be that. That is the option i vote for:
1- talk to Naomi
2- tell Ishamal the truth
3- break it off

Why do we ever seek advice from anyone except Ishamal?

In any case, now for some precocious foolishness. Say/express to Ishamal:

"Obviously since we are so good looking, charming and dashing this is going to happen again. Right? We better learn how to deal with all these noble women that are going to throw themselves at us. What should we say to let her down? How do we do that and stay on good terms?"

Again our concern is really for her, not fear for ourselves.

OOC- Heck a FUBAR liaison could be a one way ticket to exploring the world outside, though admittedly it might not be as much fun as a eunuch. Might be great for our singing voice though. Not a reason to do it.

Edit: we don't care one whit about social standing.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Sogol posted:

There is no option for talk to Naomi, tell Ishamal the truth, break off the smooching with Naomi is there? I think maybe D is supposed to be that. That is the option i vote for:
1- talk to Naomi
2- tell Ishamal the truth
3- break it off

Why do we ever seek advice from anyone except Ishamal?

In any case, now for some precocious foolishness. Say/express to Ishamal:

"Obviously since we are so good looking, charming and dashing this is going to happen again. Right? We better learn how to deal with all these noble women that are going to throw themselves at us. What should we say to let her down? How do we do that and stay on good terms?"

Again our concern is really for her, not fear for ourselves.

OOC- Heck a FUBAR liaison could be a one way ticket to exploring the world outside, though admittedly it might not be as much fun as a eunuch. Might be great for our singing voice though. Not a reason to do it.

Edit: we don't care one whit about social standing.

I like this instead of H.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

If you were thrown out of the city, would you ever see your beloved mother or Danal, again?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 6, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Diogines posted:

I am going to briefly pretend to be that portion of your mind which has emotions and remind you if you were thrown out of the city, that would mean you may never see your beloved mother or Danal, ever again.

If you are responding to my OOC comment I feel entering upon our exploring career as a maimed, exiled, dogless, destitute teenager unable to ever see any one we have come to know and love ever again in our lives is a SUPREMELY and unqualified BAD idea and completely counter to our character thus far. And that assumes we aren't just immediately put to death, sent to a slave mine or imprisoned for life. That is all OOC though.

Enkidel has a real concern for Naomi and a history of right action (albeit mischievous). I don't really see us doing anything other than acting in her (and Danal's) best interests in something like this.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

D + I 'I' is asking for Ishmael with help getting over a broken heart and seeing what he suggests. With any luck, this leads to our first tavern crawl.

EDIT: Edited to add that there's no reason this can't still serve as a motivator for us to train/study harder to be a big hero and one day be worthy of Naomi. Cuz we're young and stupid like that still.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 6, 2013

Uberwill
May 1, 2007

我的中文不是很好
I - Ask Ishamal to break it off with Naomi, but then we let her know that we will become a great hero some day and on that day we will ask for her hand. (young love/crazy ambition/desire to not be a slave being the primary motivators for me)

Absum
May 28, 2013

D

If we still like her in a few years we can try slaying some monsters for her. Continuing the relationship now doesn't seem like a good idea, Tudiya will find out.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Uberwill posted:

I - Ask Ishamal to break it off with Naomi, but then we let her know that we will become a great hero some day and on that day we will ask for her hand. (young love/crazy ambition/desire to not be a slave being the primary motivators for me)

this is good and gets my vote

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Uberwill posted:

Chucking my vote in for this

FoxTerrier posted:

'I' is asking for Ishmael with help getting over a broken heart and seeing what he suggests. With any luck, this leads to our first tavern crawl.

combined with this.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

FoxTerrier posted:

D + I 'I' is asking for Ishmael with help getting over a broken heart and seeing what he suggests. With any luck, this leads to our first tavern crawl.

EDIT: Edited to add that there's no reason this can't still serve as a motivator for us to train/study harder to be a big hero and one day be worthy of Naomi. Cuz we're young and stupid like that still.

I like this. I'm voting this.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
I'm slightly confused by the wording, but if C is the option to have Ishamal talk to Naomi and to take Ishamal's advice to break it off, then C is what I want.

C. You want him to talk to Naomi, but really, you will continue NOT to try to have a relationship with her.

Enkidel's got to know that he's been in denial. Naomi's nice, but this relationship would never work. Tudiya's word is law here, Ishamal's advice of: "A child should do as he is told, as his heart will be torn out if he is caught, no matter how well intentioned" is certainly metaphorically correct (since exile would mean losing access to everyone Enkidel loves). It could be literal too, since Tudiya certainly could tear out Enkidel's heart with his bare hands. Not a dude to mess with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
D. Enkidel likes having his skin on the outside. In one piece.

I know this is not the best time to ask, but I really want to know Ishamal's opinion on the Church of the Melachim. I'm not entirely sure what kind of information I am after, but as a confidante to Tudiya who's possibly been around since Labaras himself was a child he's bound to have a strong opinion one way or the other. We know why Tudiya hates the church (trivializing mankind's achievements and hardships; which is a very good reason if El and friends operate on magic rules similar to that of Rivers), but we also know he wants something from them. He could have closed the temple at any time, but didn't. And we've also overheard Tudiya say that Bareem's church refuses to help with some sort of unexplained matter.

Ask Ishamal, preferably when he's drunk: "What do you think of the church of the Melachim? I hear they refuse to aide Tudiya in some matter. Do you know more of this?"