Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Edmond's really ugly and unpleasant but it's still a pretty good movie, I like when Gordon directs plays. Stuck for sure is a horror-comedy, I think. Some people like Dagon, I guess? I didn't think too much of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Lords of Salem isn't the best movie of the year, but it has several of the best shots of the year, and possibly the most brilliantly apt piece of dialogue.

"Are you calling my granny a whore? ... She was a product of the depression."

It singlehandedly justifies and explains the entire film - its tone, themes, everything.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I'd like to check out Dolls if I can find it, same goes for The Pit and the Pendulum.

I'm mainly talking about the weird jellyfish/lamprey things. They looked great when they were pulled from the other dimension, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Parachute posted:

I'm mainly talking about the weird jellyfish/lamprey things. They looked great when they were pulled from the other dimension, though.

He's mainly talking about the movie having been made in 1986. Whatever that effect was, it almost certainly wasn't CGI.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

saulwright posted:

Fill us in when you get a chance! I posted in this thread asking for cult / secret society recommendations somewhat recently, and that really ramped up my excitement for this. I feel as though, given the subject matter, there is no way The Sacrament ends up as vanilla as The Innkeepers.

I'm gonna try to keep this vague but it's nearly 3:30am so if there's spoilers here I apologize.

This is just my opinion, and I certainly have friends that caught this Sunday that thought it was the best of the Festival so far (which I think is reaching considering the amazing stuff on display this year) but I was extremely disappointed with The Sacrament. I mean, I have family from Guyana and am extremely familiar with People's Temple/Jonestown so maybe that's why I wasn't as impressed with this as some others were, and I've noticed that every single person that loves Sacrament doesn't really know much about what happened there.

I just feel like I was waiting for the signature Ti West twist and it just never comes. It plays out exactly as you expect, again if you know anything about Jonestown, but is somehow more trite than it should be, especially since the actual People's Temple footage and photos are horrific enough on their own (and far more so than West ever accomplishes here). At the same time, I was hoping for a little more about why The Father is so seductive to these people and that's not explored either. My benchmark for this sort of thing, at least with recent movies, is Martha Marcy May Marlene or even Leslie My Name Is Evil and West just never aspires to or reaches those levels with Sacrament.

One thing that stuck out to me was that they keep reminding us that there's 160-odd people at this commune but you never get the sense that there's anything more than about 50 people around. This is important because of the last point - it makes Father's influence seem a lot smaller than it should be, and he's therefore less threatening.

Another thing is the inclusion of Vice. Like, I get that West wanted to use a real brand and all, but there's so much bound up with them that it seems unnecessary. If West wanted to make a fictionalized Jonestown (and he did, since he literally said that in the Q&A), I don't know why he didn't make up a news organization so he wouldn't have to explain what Vice was, what they do, and have the audience enter with a preconceived notion about them if it's not being subverted in any way. Vice is all over the first third of the film and while I didn't feel like I was being advertised to, exactly, West does spend longer than he needs to on explaining what Vice is when you kind of just want them to get to the cult.

So I guess I'd recommend this movie if you've never read up on Jonestown and never want to, because honestly, the real story is about 1000x more impactful, extreme, and horrifying than what West has done here. The performances are generally pretty good and it's enjoyable enough while you're watching it (enjoyable is the wrong word given the subject matter but, again, it's late) but in not saying anything bigger or much more meaningful than "people be gullible" it's a big missed opportunity, in my opinion.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 12, 2013

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Alright, I'm having a couple people over for Friday the 13th and we'll probably watch at least one horror movie, but since a bunch of my friends aren't big horror people, I figured I'd temper it by having silly comedic horror films to choose from. Right now our options are

Evil Dead 2
Tucker and Dale
Cabin in the Woods
Detention

What else sounds good?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Bad Taste
Brain Dead / Dead Alive
Ed and His Dead Mother
Tremors

I can think of some others, but they're either so old that they've lost all their horror value (Zombies on Broadway, various Abbott and Costello films) or they're more recent horror films that rely on genre awareness to be funny (FEAST.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 12, 2013

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Speaking of jump scares I am eagerly awaiting Friday for Insidious 2. So far the early critic reviews either love or hate it. Looks to be about the same with the first one.

Some theaters have showings tonight. I'm pretty pumped for it too. I was one of those people who initially off-put by the 3rd act of the first movie, but that's mainly because it's so unexpected in it's tonal shift. A re-watch of the movie really helped improve things.

Aside from Insidious 2 and Carrie, are there any other wide-release horror movies out in September/October? The schedule looks pretty bare. I;m also worried about the quality of Carrie, as the trailers aren't really suggesting that it's going to be much different from De Palma's adaptation.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Buzkashi posted:

Alright, I'm having a couple people over for Friday the 13th and we'll probably watch at least one horror movie, but since a bunch of my friends aren't big horror people, I figured I'd temper it by having silly comedic horror films to choose from. Right now our options are

Evil Dead 2
Tucker and Dale
Cabin in the Woods
Detention

What else sounds good?

Sleepaway Camp, The Pit, They Live

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Buzkashi posted:

Evil Dead 2
Tucker and Dale
Cabin in the Woods
Detention

What else sounds good?

I actually watched Detention recently, and man, it was not what I expectd. I still enjoyed the hell out of it though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I just read an interview with James Wan that said Insidious 2 will be his last horror movie, so it better drat well be good.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

PrinnySquadron posted:

I actually watched Detention recently, and man, it was not what I expectd. I still enjoyed the hell out of it though.

Detention is somewhere between brilliant and utterly idiotic. It's definitely a lot of fun, though.

"You lied to me! It is NOT normal for people's semen to glow in the dark!"
"Billy, she never saw my semen, I swear to God."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Buzkashi posted:

Evil Dead 2
Tucker and Dale
Cabin in the Woods
Detention

What else sounds good?

Anaconda. Dear god, Anaconda just for Jon Voight's best performance.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I;m also worried about the quality of Carrie, as the trailers aren't really suggesting that it's going to be much different from De Palma's adaptation.

Yeah I think I'll be skipping it. It looks pointless.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I just read the novelization and it's a really hilarious feeling being like "I'll bet you anything this dude is played by Ken Foree" and then looking at the IMDB page and having it confirmed.

Hilarious that it even has a novelization.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I just read an interview with James Wan that said Insidious 2 will be his last horror movie, so it better drat well be good.

Yeah, I read that too. Shame.
I'm now placing all my chips on the Oculus guy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've been meaning to see "Slither" because I hear it is a good horror-comedy type flick.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
understatement

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Oh my god yes Slither

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

After Guardians of the Galaxy drops, I bet a lot more people are going to be seeking out/watching Slither and Super.

Oh I'd add Severance to the above list. Black Death is also not bad if you have Game of Thrones fans coming by - it's not comedy exactly but does veer into dark humour quite a bit.

I've also found that JT Petty's The Burrowers is a decent crowd pleaser. It has one of my favourite endings in all of horror.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 12, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Buzkashi posted:

I had fond memories of Event Horizon from when I was younger and rewatched it on Netflix the other day, god, what incredibly cheap jump scares with no purpose whatsoever. It's quiet and creepy, lets smash cut to a bloody thing and play a loud noise! That's scary right??

I remember seeing this as a kid and having real big issues sleeping that night, watching it again though it's nothing really special but I feel like it could be remade into something awesome. You'd need Sam Neil again though, dude's perfect.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

priznat posted:

I've been meaning to see "Slither" because I hear it is a good horror-comedy type flick.

It's Night of the Creeps 2000, basically. If you liked one, you'll like the other.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I just had to check on IMDB if Slither was the giant snake movie with Ice Cube in it. Turns out I was thinking of Anaconda.

Watch Anaconda, it owns.

But since I've already seen Anaconda, I suppose I'll watch Slither.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WARNING: This post contains British televised horror from 1980. Those of a sensitive nature may wish to skip to the next post, which might conceivably be about something with respectable production values.

The House That Bled To Death

This was the fifth episode of 13 in Hammer House of Horror's one season, but it's the first on the DVDs.

We open with an elderly couple having an ominous cup of tea in their kitchen. You can tell it is an ominous cup of tea because of the music. Sure enough, the old woman takes a sip and immediately starts choking while her husband looks on without surprise. Presumably he poisoned her, but it's hard to say as he also taunts her by holding a bottle of pills out of her reach when she tries to take them. Either way I'd have to wonder why he bothered with any attempt to make it look natural, as his next step is to dismember her body with a couple of Nepalese kukri knives that are kept on the kitchen wall - presumably in case someone suddenly needs to dismember a body.

Moving on a few years, a young couple named William and Emma Peters are about to buy the house, which is on the market at a bargain price due to its grisly history. They have all the necessary items for survival in a horror drama of the period: a young daughter, Sophie; a creepy-looking doll; and a cat to hiss at the disturbing supernatural aura. This being Hammer, it is also required that the leading lady have a nice pair of hooters and a willingness to get them out as the script demands. I was quite surprised by this - I didn't think TV was so racy in 1980. In this instance the nudity is rather bizarrely used to introduce the Peters' neighbours across the street, the Evanses, as husband George (played by Brian Croucher, best known to SF fans as Travis in Blake's 7) peeps on Emma Peters while remarking to his wife Jean that it's great to have new neighbours as they don't realise anyone can peep on them. This being the tail end of the Swinging 70s, Jean does not shove her husband out the window but instead waves it off with an "Oh, you!"

The main cast introduced, hijinks ensue. Walls bleed, the cat is gruesomely killed, and in the episode's most shocking sequence, Emma faces the unimaginable horror of a set of false teeth appearing on her bedside table. Finally, after a pipe gives way at Sophie's birthday party and showers a dozen nine-year-olds with blood, the Peters decide that enough is enough and flee the house - though, being British, they do take the time to pack first.

Hammer House of Horror was something of a last throw for Hammer Films; they had made only one movie in the previous four years (The Lady Vanishes), and that had bombed. The success of Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected in 1979 had inspired them to have a go at making a TV series in a similar vein. As with Tales, HHoH episodes frequently ended with a twist, and THTBTD is no exception.

The epilogue picks up several years later. It turns out that the haunting was in fact a fake, engineered by the estate agent Mr Powers (eagle-eyed viewers will recognise Milton Johns, who had just appeared in The Empire Strikes Back as an Imperial officer) and William Peters with the intent of producing a book a la Jay Anson's The Amityville Horror. To that end, Peters had found a poor single mum willing to pose as his wife and befriended the Evanses to have convenient witnesses to the "mysterious happenings". Now the Peters family are living wealthy in California - Emma having realised that she really does love the guy who spent months psychologically torturing her and her daughter - and while discussing how they're going to spend the money from the sale of the film rights to their story they do occasionally spare a thought for what they're going to tell Sophie.

Meanwhile, Sophie is reading a copy of Powers' book that was carelessly left lying around, and seeing a picture of her dead cat triggers her PTSD. The traumatised child, evidently having figured out that it was all a fake and William murdered her beloved Timmy, digs out a suitcase where Daddy had for some unaccountable reason kept all the haunting props for the last three years. Taking one of the kukris, she goes to her parents room and kills William in front of her horrified mother.

Overall, this episode hasn't aged astonishingly well. It's a little silly, some of the things that happen are hard to reconcile, and there are some glaring continuity errors. On the other hand, it has a solid cast for the money spent and the British spin on The Amityville Horror is pretty smart.

Next up is The Silent Scream, which stars Peter Cushing as a Nazi war criminal and as such should be considerably better.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Some parts of Severance felt really mean to me, a little too much to be a reasonable balance with the humor.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Buzkashi posted:

Some parts of Severance felt really mean to me, a little too much to be a reasonable balance with the humor.

I agree, it starts off fun but gets pretty nasty. There's a place for that kind of mean-spirited stuff, but not in a comedy/horror film.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

Detention is somewhere between brilliant and utterly idiotic. It's definitely a lot of fun, though.

"You lied to me! It is NOT normal for people's semen to glow in the dark!"
"Billy, she never saw my semen, I swear to God."

I laughed pretty hard when that goth girl pokes the Canadian guys corpse when two of them of discussing time travel and the body's legs fall off, which causes he to look around and then run off before anyone notices.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So who else is seeing Insidious Chapter 2 tonight?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Jonny Angel posted:

I probably will.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jonny Angel posted:

Nope, Friday the 13th.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jonny Angel posted:

I was planning to see it tomorrow, but I'd love to hear thoughts on it tonight if anyone sees it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I didn't even know it was out tonight. I'm interested in checking it out as someone who disliked Insidious 1 so much. This one looks absolutely awful and appears to be going way overboard with the cheesy rear end jump scares and goofy looking characters.

I expect very little.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Nope, Friday the 13th.

12:01 is totally Friday the 13th :colbert:

For real though I'm probably seeing it at 10. The theater in Lincoln Square, Manhattan is really good about showing movies two or three times the evening before they officially come out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Last time I went to Lincoln Center someone was blatantly smoking a J while watching god knows what.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Last time I went to Lincoln Center someone was blatantly smoking a J while watching god knows what.

I know you're talking about the AMC but I am thinking of this happening at the indie theater a few blocks up and finding it hilarious.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Personally I'm hoping you're talking about the actual Lincoln Center.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
When I went to see Beyond the Black Rainbow at Cinema Village, I'm pretty sure everybody there was high, but oddly over probably like a hundred visits to various theaters in the area, it seems really funny that someone would do it at the AMC and not, say, watching El Topo at the Nitehawk or something.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
One time, at our local dollar theater, they were doing a weekend showing of the first Chainsaw. The profoundly stoned couple in front of me made it about halfway through the hitchhiker's initial appearance before leaving with the guy noting that in his current condition, the final half hour woulda probably killed him from anxiety.

DeathChicken posted:

Anaconda. Dear god, Anaconda just for Jon Voight's best performance.

Still no Mateo!

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 13, 2013

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Everyone knows you vape in theaters these days, duh. Only time I've ever seen someone unabashedly spark up in the movies was during The Room in the East Village.

But yeah, probably going Saturday afternoon. Friday night Conjuring was the last time I think I'll ever go to an opening night horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Just gonna throw a few things out there since I've binged a little at TIFF:

-The Green Inferno is bad, VOD level horror filmmaking. Eli Roth always has and always will be a hack horror director. Sure, the gore fx are terrific but that's about it.

-Oculus is the real deal folks. A smart, ambitious and original American horror film. Supposedly Relativity/Blumhouse are picking it up for a wide release which is fantastic news. I hope Mike Flanagan goes on to much bigger things.

-Insidious Chapter 2 is garbage, and I liked Insidious. This is merely James Wan and Leigh Whannell shamelessly cashing in a check while setting up their next series of royalty payments now that no more Saw movies are coming out. Laughably bad writing, and Wan's direction mostly falls flat.

-Under the Skin is good, but it doesn't belong in the horror thread. Expect tons of Kubrick comparisons to be thrown around once this actually comes out.