Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh God What
Apr 25, 2009

Red posted:

I like how UT can introduce a little bit of psychology into the move to enhance it.

If he's tired/battered, he can subtly fall to his knees to deliver the move. If he's pissed, he jumps before dropping to his knees.

Pretty sure he either did it to Trips for giving him the DX chop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Taker didn't do the jumping tombstone for either HHH or Punk, he did it when he made HBK retire.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Taker didn't do the jumping tombstone for either HHH or Punk, he did it when he made HBK retire.

Yep. Last spot of the match, HBK begs for the end, and Taker delivers the Super Tombstone.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

In reference to the Vince/Jarrett story, Vince is really the craziest. Unlike most scummy CEO's, most of the really good things Vince does only leak out to his actual displeasure (he normally basically forbids people from talking about them) like the loaning Flair money thing, etc. Seems that a lot of companies send out press releases if their head honcho does so much as pet a puppy. It's so odd. Many people always say that Vince would give the shirt off his back if you needed it....but by all accounts he is also a megalomaniac who gets off on ruthless crushing people and is a noted bully. He also has his very scummy "wrestling persona" side.

There is no wrestler that comes close to being as fascinating as the real Vince McMahon.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Cesaro is an odd case. The feats of strength he can pull off in the ring are amazing and make crowds chant "Holy poo poo!," but if you turned him into a good guy he would spend 99% of the match getting his rear end kicked in typical WWE style before he could bust them out. He's also not very threatening as a "serious" heel so he doesn't work too much in that role. He's a guy with an offense that makes people cheer but a jerk heel character that keeps him firmly at a "who cares" lower card level. He has some charisma and obviously has the wrestling talent, I just don't know what type of character would make it all come together.

Before WWE decided he was boring for a bit, Meltzer said that the higher-ups felt he would be a main eventer eventually, but that it was going to be a process that would require patience. I feel like crowds are starting to catch on a little (they should let him do stuff like the giant swing ON CAMERA instead of the loving app to help this along) and know that when Cesaro is out there, you might see some awesome poo poo. I know he's impressed the hell out of me to the point that it's hard for me to take any other strongman seriously. I see guys like Tensai holding people in suplexes for 60 seconds and just think "Psh. Cesaro could do that to the Big Show for an hour, give him a big giant swing for another hour and not even break a sweat."

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
In the Hogan thread they just got to the archived observers from his heel turn at bash at the beach, and they mention it as the end of a 15-year face run. Who else in wrestling had any similar continuous run as either face or heel with no turns during it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ricky Steamboat.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ricky Steamboat.

I'm not sure if there's any wrestler as universally loved and respected as Steamboat.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Bruno Sammartino very occasionally wrestled subtle heel, most notably against Pedro Morales, but he was a face for his entire career, about 30 years essentially all on top. Cena is about to pass 10 years uninterrupted as a superface, believe it or not.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Sting had an eleven or twelve-year face run, didn't he? I know he turned heel towards the end of WCW but I don't know if there was a point between the Blade Runners and that heel turn where he wasn't a face.

(unless you count NWO Sting, I guess :v:)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Solomonic posted:

Sting had an eleven or twelve-year face run, didn't he? I know he turned heel towards the end of WCW but I don't know if there was a point between the Blade Runners and that heel turn where he wasn't a face.

(unless you count NWO Sting, I guess :v:)

He did turn heel for about a month during the earlier stages of the Crow angle but after the fake Sting part, then turned back at Uncensored 97.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jim Duggan, also. From the time he joined WWE up until turning heel for Team Canada in WCW, that's a good decade and change.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

For a more modern example, has El Generico/Sami Zayn ever been an outright heel?

As far as heels are concerned, a lot of heels with evil foreigner gimmicks besides Nikolai Volkoff would seem to qualify. Iron Sheik probably would be one of the more famous examples.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 18, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Thauros posted:

For a more modern example, has El Generico/Sami Zayn ever been an outright heel?

Steen and Generico came into ROH as heels, yes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

In the Hogan thread they just got to the archived observers from his heel turn at bash at the beach, and they mention it as the end of a 15-year face run. Who else in wrestling had any similar continuous run as either face or heel with no turns during it?

Bruno Sammartino's entire career was spent as a face. There's actually going to be a number of territorial stars who were like that, either backbones like Bruno or owners like Gagne and The Sheik who never turned. Jackie Fargo should fit as well, but he went to other cities enough that maybe he he'd have a brief break from his babyface run in there.

For a more modern example, Steamboat spent a bit more than 15 years as a babyface from his debut in Mid Atlantic through his retirement in 94. He wasn't a top guy for that entire run like Bruno or Hogan though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rey Mysterio Jr, bar a short run in WCW, has been a face his entire career.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

jeffersonlives posted:

He did turn heel for about a month during the earlier stages of the Crow angle but after the fake Sting part, then turned back at Uncensored 97.

Of course! For some reason that totally passed me by when I was thinking about it - I had it in mind as "everyone wonders whose side Sting is on" but that was as far as it went.

A lot of my memory of WCW feels like it's painted in broad strokes, so to speak (this may be a defense mechanism). I had completely forgotten about the West Hollywood Blondes until I heard Review A Wai mention them, and then memories flooded back of Chris Jericho calling Lenny Lane "Larry" and demanding the return of his CDs.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Undertaker has been a face for about 14 years now hasn't he?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Undertaker has been a face for about 14 years now hasn't he?

Undertaker's last heel run was in 2002, so about 11 years; he turned face at the end of the famous ladder match with Jeff Hardy, to prepare him for a feud with the Unamericans.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I totally blanked on that heel run for some reason.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

fatherdog posted:

Junkyard Dog and Hillbilly Jim have always been face, I think. The Warlord didn't have as long a career (less than 10 years-ish), but he was always a heel. One Man Gang/Akeem wrestled from the late 70s to the late 90s in some capacity, and he was always heel.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
I don't know much about pre-WWF Tito Santana, but I envision him as a perpetual face.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I'm 99% sure Kerry Von Erich was a face throughout the entire 1980s (or really his whole career)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jeffersonlives posted:

Steen and Generico came into ROH as heels, yes.

But even then, wasn't it more just that Generico was aligned with Steen who was a prick, but it was left to Steen to really carry the weight of the heeling?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

VogeGandire posted:

Rey Mysterio Jr, bar a short run in WCW, has been a face his entire career.

Everyone keeps saying this, but I watched WCW a lot in the late 90s and for the life of me I cannot ever remember Rey or the Filthy Animals being heel. Maybe they were supposed to be heels on paper, but everyone cheered them anyway? I dunno.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 18, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The Filthy Animals were shades of grey tweeners during the initial Russo run, but they turned straight up heel during the dumb New Blood reboot poo poo. I think Rey just started acting like a face again awhile after that.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Red posted:

The Warlord didn't have as long a career (less than 10 years-ish), but he was always a heel.

The Powers of Pain debuted as faces in the WWF in 1988.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Shiki Dan posted:

The Powers of Pain debuted as faces in the WWF in 1988.

Ah, god drat it, you're right. It's just hard to picture those guys as faces.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The WWF tag roster had this weird obsession with the Road Warriors at the time. They created Demolition to copy them, they created the Powers of Pain to further copy them, and then they finally cashed in on their boner and got to sign LOD. Demolition stuck to their gimmick for a while, but they gave PoP singles runs with two really loving goofy outfits; Barbarian literally dressed like a barbarian, and Warlord with some weird angular Armored Phantom of the Opera getup.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I will hear no mocking of Warlord's awesome staff shaped like a W. :colbert:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

SamuraiFoochs posted:

But even then, wasn't it more just that Generico was aligned with Steen who was a prick, but it was left to Steen to really carry the weight of the heeling?

Steen was the bigger heel but it's not like Generico wasn't ruthlessly killing The Briscoes with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djjdBhAVeWA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
First they came for the Briscoes but I did not speak out because I was not a redneck.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

The WWF tag roster had this weird obsession with the Road Warriors at the time. They created Demolition to copy them,

Remember when Demolition got 1 and 2 in the Rumble, and immediately proceed to smash each other mercilessly. Good old days.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I wasn't watching ROH during that period ut I got the idea from watching old footage on DVDs that Steen was a heel/tweener but Generico a face during the Briscoes feud. I'll trust the outlook of those who were actually following the company at the time though.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The earliest Steenerico match I remember was against Super Dragon and Excalibur at CZW Cage of Death VI.

That was a heel vs. heel match, but Generico was obviously playing the part of "aloof partner who doesn't know any better". Steen laid him out after that match.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

what is the fastest paced match you guys can recall? A lot of wrestling is a very slow moving show, relying on storytelling to carry the action. do you know of any matches that were just not stop rapid paced fights?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Dragon Gate six man tags.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Any six man tag involving Kai En Tai is usually at a breakneck pace too.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Eat My Fuc posted:

what is the fastest paced match you guys can recall? A lot of wrestling is a very slow moving show, relying on storytelling to carry the action. do you know of any matches that were just not stop rapid paced fights?

Rey Misterio and Psicosis had several matches like that in Mexico and ECW in the mid-90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Rey Misterio and Psicosis had several matches like that in Mexico and ECW in the mid-90s.

true, i love their ecw matches and early wcw ones as well.