Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am using my :spergin: tendency to make a reference sheet. I will try to have it done today.

I think the text reads:
Mereniel,
Save us. Kill them.
Xuriel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Sogol posted:

I am using my :spergin: tendency to make a reference sheet. I will try to have it done today.

I think the text reads:
Mereniel,
Save us. Kill them.
Xuriel

To be fair, it could just as easily be:

Save them. Kill us.

If the gods have grown stagnant and corrupt, it might be time for a cull.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm almost starting to wonder if we should ask "Are you my daddy?"

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

2. Ishamal and Jalitha. Not Bareen, because she is not trustworthy. Her actions do not coincide with what she preaches; she says magic is for all, and that the king hides this from man. Yet she fails to teach her followers the magic she had supposedly been taught and considers her divine duty to spread. Danal also has the same physical traits of a magician, yet he doesn't seem to know magic. She's full of poo poo, in my opinion.

Jalitha is trustworthy obviously. She knows the most of our birth of anyone we know. She knows who our father is, likely, and we were never told. She only insists Shushem is not. It is time we knew.

Ishamal is an enigma in this place. It would be easy to assume he is like the Mighty Men, but he is not. He is allowed to sit in place of the king, he is the oldest man in the city, and he lacks the extra fingers that those of the line of Labaras seem to possess. Yet he clearly has some divine power, having beaten the Asherah out of us.

Ishamal is also cool with both the king and Bareen. We avoid petty factionalism by going to him, and we hopefully avoid becoming a pawn in a game between powers.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

SerSpook posted:

2. Ishamal and Jalitha. Not Bareen, because she is not trustworthy. Her actions do not coincide with what she preaches; she says magic is for all, and that the king hides this from man. Yet she fails to teach her followers the magic she had supposedly been taught and considers her divine duty to spread. Danal also has the same physical traits of a magician, yet he doesn't seem to know magic. She's full of poo poo, in my opinion.

Jalitha is trustworthy obviously. She knows the most of our birth of anyone we know. She knows who our father is, likely, and we were never told. She only insists Shushem is not. It is time we knew.

Ishamal is an enigma in this place. It would be easy to assume he is like the Mighty Men, but he is not. He is allowed to sit in place of the king, he is the oldest man in the city, and he lacks the extra fingers that those of the line of Labaras seem to possess. Yet he clearly has some divine power, having beaten the Asherah out of us.

Ishamal is also cool with both the king and Bareen. We avoid petty factionalism by going to him, and we hopefully avoid becoming a pawn in a game between powers.

it is.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SerSpook posted:

The best plan.

1. say "Thank You"

2. Ishamal and Jalitha.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Voting closes in a few hours. We will update tonight.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. B - Who are you?
2. A - ask Ishamal about our recurring dreams

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SerSpook posted:

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
B. "Am I Mereniel?"

If we're allowed Aussie style voting preferences, "who do I save"is my second preference if this is defeated.

A. Ishamail because I'm sure mom will say "forget about it, sweetling, have seaweed cakes."

I agree that we need to be more proactive and seeking out Bareen is not a horrible idea. We just want to talk to her. However, I don't think building up a network of street spies is worth it in the long run because I think the direction of the story will have important events take place outside the city.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

SerSpook posted:

Surely we must meet Mom's age requirement by now? Besides, we haven't really talked to her since we got to Zepath. Voting for this.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I want to have one last chat with Naomi, just so we can be bitter and resentful over our rival for an even longer period.

Absum
May 28, 2013

2. Ishamal and Jalitha.

Raserys posted:

Surely we must meet Mom's age requirement by now? Besides, we haven't really talked to her since we got to Zepath. Voting for this.

I assume she'll wait untill we're 16, as that is the "official" age at which we become adults.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
2. Ishamal and Jalitha.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Imperialist Dog posted:

B. "Am I Mereniel?"

If we're allowed Aussie style voting preferences, "who do I save"is my second preference if this is defeated.

A. Ishamail because I'm sure mom will say "forget about it, sweetling, have seaweed cakes."

Seconded.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Canuck-Errant posted:

I want to have one last chat with Naomi, just so we can be bitter and resentful over our rival for an even longer period.

Hah! Let's fuel Enkidel with even more teenage angst. :emo:

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. A
2. B

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

LLSix posted:

1. say "Thank You"

2. Ishamal and Jalitha.

Sure, why not. Voting B and A as per above.

On the subject of the red text analysis, I think that any attempt to draw a very firm conclusion on what the message there is at this point immensely premature. Given the words available, just about any combination of commands is possible, and there's nothing particularly pushing towards a particular combination. I mean, heck, there's a fair amount of assumption that the words are a demand to us, but how do we know that the "correct" combination isn't something like "Mereniel, save them. Xuriel, kill me", for instance?

One thing that seems fairly clear, though, is why we got that text. In this dreamworld hazy-state, we voted for this: "N. Wait... Xuri... did it say..." Seems pretty clear in retrospect that what this ended up doing was analyzing and clarifying the "HUNGER" message from earlier, which manifests to us, the readers, in the form of all the hunger going away and leaving the message behind. Remember, folks, the hidden words were always in the HUNGER message - alert goons spotted a few when they first appeared.

One thing to take away from this is that "Jonah/Snarls" is by no means necessarily "Xuriel" - we just happened to try and focus on a scrap of memory and thought involving Xuriel, and it doesn't necessarily have a drat thing to do with Jonah.

Also, whatever the correct combination of words is, it seems like we can probably pin down Asherah as a tortured spirit one way or another - he's a being consumed entirely by hunger who can, apparently, form fragments of coherent thought, which no matter how they're combined is asking someone to either "Save me" or "Kill me" (unless Asherah uses caveman grammar, "Me kill them" and such). Whatever Asherah's true nature, it seems quite possible that he wasn't always consumed by hunger as he is now, and may have been just as much a thinking, sentient being as any other, one with apparently divine/daemonic power. And now all he consists of is essentially a black hole where his soul used to be. Tragic.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 19, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Ok. Here is a reference document. I have made up some names for things that did not have them (e.g. Band of Xuriel). I have probably also made mistakes. You can PM me with edits, complaints and additions. If it is useful I will try to maintain and update it as we go. (I don't know how to do a wiki and not able/willing to take the time to learn just now. If it should be housed or published differently let me know.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efey9bd94tn8lw5/Reference%20for%20UR.pdf

Updated link with changes per Diogines.

Will look for other Great Fish later.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 19, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
The other incarnation of Jonah/Snarls is Smis, who is known to protect beings from Asherah. So whether the Giant entity is El or Xuriel or someone else entirely he always manifests as a protector when we are on the Dream Plane.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Sogol, I read your writeup and I liked it. I won't comment on the accuracy of it, since it is your interpretation, some of it may be right, some of it may be wrong!

I think it is likely useful to help people keep track of names! I applaud you for writing that!

A few things I will comment on, since it was in things that were previously posted, not my interpretation etc.

A few small things on the "Sky Pantheon" you wrote? This came up, but it was spread over a few posts, so it might of been overlooked.

1. They are pretty big, possibly giants. They do live in the sky, via the top of Mount Har. But Sky Giants is a name your mother made up to help you, a savage child in a backwater primitive society, understand. The men of the cities call them Melachim, and the most powerful ones, Ophanim.

2. El is not a Melachim. The men of Zepath are very clear on this point, that El is something entirely different than the Melachim and he is their creator. Bareens followers don't think he is a Melachim either, they just think he is made up.

"Kinga" was a typo and one I thought I fixed? >< It is King, Kings, etc. Kinga is not a word special to our setting, or a real one.

Rabitha was a typo I believe was fixed in all places. It is Rathal.

You know that Barkof is the leader of the Mighty Men. Tudiya was previously. Barkof got the job when Tudiya became King, by winning a tournament held to fill the role.

There was a list with a bunch of the other Great Fish, if you wanted to go track it down, others were listed.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Cool. I will make the corrections.

The hierarchy is:
El>Ophanim>Melachim for the majority belief?

Edit: El is the creator of Melachim, not Ophanim? I thought Melachim were humanoid heroes and Ophanim giant often winged figures?

I guessed Sky Giants was informal since no one uses it. I will make clear that they are actually giagantic. Labaras' status is confusing to me. Do we know anything more specific about that? He is created after humans in Tudiyas creation story, but I can't quite sort how he relates to the Ophanim and Melachim. He is referred to once as a Land Giant.

Any objections to other place holder names besides Kinga (which I kinda liked)?

I looked for the fish names, but will go back. I know there is also another town that has some tension with Zepath, but I could not find it. I tried to keep interpretation to a minimum, but we know so little about some things it is impossible.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 19, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Whatever details of Labaras, are whatever details you have so far. He was capable of fathering children and is both a man, the epitome of man and also somehow, more than a man. I leave it to you to decide if he was actually human or not.

No objections to any placeholder names, they are up to you, I just wanted to clarify Kinga was a typo ;).

Your post will do a lot to help people keep track of names, thanks for the hard work Sogol :D

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You feel a slobbery liquid upon your face and wake to an ECSTATIC Snarls Barkley! You are in your bed, Snarls is under the blanket, but his head is rested on your chest. As you open your eyes, he barks excitedly and leaps onto the floor then turns around several times in excitement!

You lean up and place your feet on the floor then rub your eyes.

You rub your eyes.

Both of your arms are functioning fine. You feel a little groggy but otherwise, you do not feel any pain, maybe just a little stiffness, mostly in your right arm, but not all that much.

Snarls Barkley runs out of the room.

You go to a basin of water in the corner of room and look into it. There are no bruises or cuts on your face. You wash your face.

Snarls returns a few moments later with Danal, who runs in behind him.

You learn from Danal that the battle ended. A day has passed. Ishamal eventually came over and sent Lullaya running after he beat the hell out of you. You were totally awesome and brave to challenge Lullaya and Paebel and his friends think so too! Lullaya was never very nice to them either...

And they really like how you helped them get the horns! They sold them. Paebel's father, a debt slave, is now a free man!

You wanted to do that, right?

1. (Optional) As Danal tells you that the horns are not yours or Danals you think....
A. SON OF A BITCH! I got my face pounded in and we didn't even get one of the horns...
B. Something else. Fill in.

You ask Danal is Lullaya is in trouble. He shakes his head. "Lullaya got away okay."

You ask if YOU are in trouble. Danal lets out a little laugh "Dad says he is only mad you lost." Danal grins at you. Well that does sound like Tudiya...

You decide that you want to have a chat with Ishamal.

2. Do you bring Danal with you?
A. Yes.
B. No.

You do not have a great deal of trouble finding him. Ishamal is in one of his favorite taverns, with some of his friends, drinking and singing. You approach them to talk....

3. Do you want to talk to Ishamal alone, or do you want his friends here?
A. Ishamal, alone.
B. I don't care if his friends are here.

Any questions you want to ask, ask. I had to travel today, sorry for the delay folks! I only have a little time now, but I will dive into your questions more, tomorrow afternoon, I may have time for a few tonight.

Questions which are obviously inflamatory, I may ask for a mini vote for, to decide. Otherwise, just write your questions. Telling him things will require a vote or a mini vote, depending on what you want to say. If a bunch of you say you want to tell him something and there is no apparent opposition, we will skip any formal vote and you will just say it.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 19, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Diogines posted:

Whatever details of Labaras, are whatever details you have so far. He was capable of fathering children and is both a man, the epitome of man and also somehow, more than a man. I leave it to you to decide if he was actually human or not.

No objections to any placeholder names, they are up to you, I just wanted to clarify Kinga was a typo ;).

Your post will do a lot to help people keep track of names, thanks for the hard work Sogol :D

Ok, got it on the Melachim:
" The Ophanim, the oldest and most powerful of the Melachim are the "Sky Giants" of your mothers stories, they are giants, winged, beautiful and greatly powerful. "

So Melachim is the general category. Ophanim are a special case. Could you give an example of a named Melachim? Do we know one?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -