Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, that's a good one.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So...wait. Either everything comes on at once or nothing ever works, right? Do the brake lights come on when you turn on the fogs? Do the fogs come on when you hit the brakes with the fogs turned off? Do the tails only work when the brakes are on? :psyduck:
Right. If you turn on the lights, the foglights will be on. If you hit the brakes, the tail lights will be on. If you turn on the foglights, the brake lights will be on. The pins are all mixed around. And there are some bad earths.

I've fixed it now, but Jesus, who does that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I want to know what that sounded like

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I want to know what that sounded like

Probably like (placeholder post while I quickly use this post to search for one I did way earlier in this thread)

edit: NM :( the picture doesnt seem to work any more. It was the ocean liner's rod that got hydrolocked.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 12, 2013

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

InitialDave posted:

Right. If you turn on the lights, the foglights will be on.
I've fixed it now, but Jesus, who does that?
:911:
Americans.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Don't forget the other end:

What it came out of:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well, that's certainly impressive. Do I see signs of fatigue or is it all brittle fracture?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Well, that's certainly impressive. Do I see signs of fatigue or is it all brittle fracture?

According to the post it was fatigue due to bad metallurgy from the factory. $630,000 in parts and $24,000/hour in lost income while that thing is down too.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

Use them for part numbers, but DO NOT ORDER FROM GMPARTSDIRECT.

I ordered a crank bolt that was listed as in stock. They immediately charged my credit card and 2 weeks later it still hadn't shown up. After days of emailing I finally got an answer that it was out of stock and would be in next week. Next week comes and goes. It took another two weeks to get my money back out of them.

Terrible customer service. Inaccurate parts management system (or they are lying). Shady practices (you don't charge a card for something that was ordered until it ships - this is a tenant of merchant card agreements).

All those sites are the same, it's a dealer that is showing GM's catalog system. They don't carry stock or anything like that, they just order parts from GM's warehouse and ship them out when they arrive. Some are better about tracking and maintaining orders than others.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sudo Echo posted:

According to the post it was fatigue due to bad metallurgy from the factory. $630,000 in parts and $24,000/hour in lost income while that thing is down too.

Surely the parts cost would be paid for by warranty at least. Or does heavy equipment not work that way?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sudo Echo posted:

Is this post public somewhere?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Is this post public somewhere?

Same place half of this thread is from, http://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/1m9fzu/guys_it_happened_again/

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Surely the parts cost would be paid for by warranty at least. Or does heavy equipment not work that way?

Warranty is a whole different beast when it comes to company instead of private ownership.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

All those sites are the same, it's a dealer that is showing GM's catalog system. They don't carry stock or anything like that, they just order parts from GM's warehouse and ship them out when they arrive. Some are better about tracking and maintaining orders than others.

Well, yes and no. That aren't all operated by the same shady dealership (Flow GM in Winston Salem NC in the case of gmpartsdirect).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Well, yes and no. That aren't all operated by the same shady dealership (Flow GM in Winston Salem NC in the case of gmpartsdirect).

Not necessarily same dealer - just one using the ever-so-common Trademotion backend. Searching "trademotion <brand>" will get you a decent number of hits on various dealers; I've found some good pricing on Mazda parts this way before.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

This was the perfect size for scrolling down and going :stare: when the boot rolled onto the screen

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Slavvy posted:

The specifics depend on the agreement between the mine and the manufacturer but yes heavy equipment is warrantied. I know that, at least for the dump trucks, Komatsu has an uptime guarantee and for the larger mines will provide a standby truck to be used in the event of a breakdown in one of the mine's fleet. I imagine the other manufacturers have similar guarantees. That part will probably be taken by Komatsu and analyzed to see what went wrong and find out who to blame prevent it from happening again.

e: Not a failure but while we're talking about the size of heavy equipment, here's a picture of what the ground looks like after a Cat D11 crawls past.

Huge machines are awesome :allears:

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 13, 2013

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not necessarily same dealer - just one using the ever-so-common Trademotion backend. Searching "trademotion <brand>" will get you a decent number of hits on various dealers; I've found some good pricing on Mazda parts this way before.

That's what I meant to say. It's different dealers setting up online ordering for the same backend. The funny thing is that they all don't operate as dealers. If you call Flow's parts department, it's not the same as GMPartsDirect. Some have actual internet parts managers with good customer service and direct phone lines.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

That's what I meant to say. It's different dealers setting up online ordering for the same backend. The funny thing is that they all don't operate as dealers. If you call Flow's parts department, it's not the same as GMPartsDirect. Some have actual internet parts managers with good customer service and direct phone lines.

TradeMotion is a-la-carte. Just because they use them for the site doesn't mean their payment processing, inventory or fulfillment is through them.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Motronic posted:

Use them for part numbers, but DO NOT ORDER FROM GMPARTSDIRECT.

I ordered a crank bolt that was listed as in stock. They immediately charged my credit card and 2 weeks later it still hadn't shown up. After days of emailing I finally got an answer that it was out of stock and would be in next week. Next week comes and goes. It took another two weeks to get my money back out of them.

Terrible customer service. Inaccurate parts management system (or they are lying). Shady practices (you don't charge a card for something that was ordered until it ships - this is a tenant of merchant card agreements).

Their customer service sucks. I had ordered stuff from them a few months back and they had screwed up the shipping. Well their owner ripped me a new rear end in a top hat over it and about how they don't make mistakes, it was my fault, I need to pay for it to be fixed, ie, being completely unreasonable.

I was able to talk him off the ledge and get it resolved, but it's probably not the best customer service practice for the company owner demand the customer pay the shipping and duty for UPS/shipping gently caress up.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Galler posted:

e: Not a failure but while we're talking about the size of heavy equipment, here's a picture of what the ground looks like after a Cat D11 crawls past.

Fun fact: I am less than 10 miles from the Bingham Copper Mine, the worlds largest open pit mine. It can be seen from space with the naked eye. I have seen tires being transported for the dump trucks on the highway before, they take up nearly 2 lanes. Totally bitchin'

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've been to the Caterpillar Technical Center in Peoria, IL and it is awesome. I was there for generators in an experimental microgrid, but the Cat folks there showed us around a bit. They have whole 'playgrounds' for earth moving equipment that's actually inside huge buildings with gigantically high roofs. Cat equipment driving around everywhere just for testing, giant gently caress-off engine test beds for power testing.

Fun side note: they built a prototype battery system for us that needed big power semiconductor inverters that can go both ways. They didn't have exactly that, but they had the inverter electronics from a huge piece of earthmoving equipment that did the job perfectly.
Glycol-cooled electronics, each inverter can handle 250 kW at 410 VDC.
No horrible failure so far.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My picture is from inside one of the facilities you mentioned and it is indeed awesome. 150,000 square feet of indoor arena space for testing and demonstration. Here's part of the demo they do there.

e: I've got a much better version than that person's low res shakeycam but for the life of me I can't figure out how to edit video in any Adobe CS6 product. This poo poo used to be really loving easy Adobe what the gently caress.

Galler fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 13, 2013

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've been to the Caterpillar Technical Center in Peoria, IL and it is awesome. I was there for generators in an experimental microgrid, but the Cat folks there showed us around a bit. They have whole 'playgrounds' for earth moving equipment that's actually inside huge buildings with gigantically high roofs. Cat equipment driving around everywhere just for testing, giant gently caress-off engine test beds for power testing.

I've worked for CAT for most of my life and I still haven't been able to go to Peoria or Morton to see the test sites. It looks like a blast. I really wish I could have a camera at work to post all the incredible poo poo I handle every day.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

A cast waterjet base plate that cracked after being welded into some very thin plate.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Astroman posted:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ or google "gm oem parts" and a bunch of others come up. Click "browse catalog" at the bottom, put in make, model, and year and a list comes up of various systems (engine, brakes, body, etc). Then click on "available parts diagrams."

They are a bit pricey, but I usually can find the parts elsewhere once I've gotten the real name and part number from them.

A little late, but jumping on the 'don't buy from these guys' bandwagon. It took 10 business days for them to give me a tracking number on a part that was "in stock" that they "shipped" the day after I placed the order.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 15, 2013

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Galler posted:

The specifics depend on the agreement between the mine and the manufacturer but yes heavy equipment is warrantied. I know that, at least for the dump trucks, Komatsu has an uptime guarantee and for the larger mines will provide a standby truck to be used in the event of a breakdown in one of the mine's fleet. I imagine the other manufacturers have similar guarantees. That part will probably be taken by Komatsu and analyzed to see what went wrong and find out who to blame prevent it from happening again.

:stonk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

How NOT to do a totally rad smoke show.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Oversized tires? Smoke button?

Bro trucks are getting out of hand.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PhotoKirk posted:

Oversized tires? Smoke button?

Bro trucks are getting out of hand.

Literally rollin' coal.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CommieGIR posted:

Literally rollin' coal.

Came to post this. :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Welcome to my personal hell.

Lifter catastrophically failed, then dropped the valve. Thankfully, no cylinder damage, but the piston, connecting rod, and head are probably toast.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's like the fourth vw TDI in this thread I swear.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

That's like the fourth vw TDI in this thread I swear.

Yeah, this one is coming back to life though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, this one is coming back to life though.

So we'll see it again in a couple of years?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

So we'll see it again in a couple of years?

Next month it'll be back. Gotta wait on pay day.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ahahaha holy poo poo. Nothing like trying to bodge a serious bit of steel with the weakest and shittiest tape ever devised.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
If he'd just kept the spring loaded the tape wouldn't have ripped. :colbert:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Nubile Hillock posted:

If he'd just kept the spring loaded the tape wouldn't have ripped. :colbert:

Zip strips would have worked.

Adbot